• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 8,100 Views, 1,106 Comments

The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King - TalonMach5



Book two of four, in the Great Slave King saga. An anthology of Equestria's history

  • ...
31
 1,106
 8,100

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8: The Hidden Wound of an Aching Heart

The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King

A Story by TalonMach5

Chapter 8: The Hidden Wound of an Aching Heart

So harper, you want to hear a succulent story? Alright, I think I know a few tasty morsels I could share. Step inside and whet your appetite with this tale.

There once were three pony brothers traveling along a lonely road. The eldest was a unicorn, whose magical skills was unsurpassed. The second was a pegasus, whose speed and agility were unmatched. The youngest was an earth pony, honest and humble. One day, the three brothers came across a cave. Peering inside, they discovered it contained an unattended dragon’s hoard. The eldest, confident in his magical ability to protect him from the dragon’s flames, helped himself to the many rare and precious books he found inside. The second, confident in his speed and agility to evade the dragon’s fangs and claws, looted many precious gems and fine jewelry from the hoard. The youngest, whose needs were simple, took a small bag containing enough wealth to buy him a small farm and live comfortably on for rest of his life.

Before they could escape with their ill-gotten loot, the dragon returned. When it saw the would be thieves, it roared with displeasure. Little ponies, it snarled while licking its sharp teeth. Each of you have stolen from me and must pay the price. But as I’m a sporting dragon, I’ll give you a chance to escape my cave with your lives and stolen treasure, if you answer my riddle correctly. The three brothers not having many options, discussed things and agreed to play the dragon’s game. When they were ready for his riddle, the dragon asked them with a hungry gleam in its eye. What is the most precious thing here in my hoard? The eldest looking at his stolen books smiled. Why knowledge of course. The dragon laughed, shaking his head while eying the brothers hungrily. The second pulled a large chromatic diamond from his bag. This gem is flawless, and worth more than the rest of your hoard combined. The dragon snorted once, and smacked its lips in anticipation of its upcoming meal. The youngest thought of the life he would never get a chance to live, and answered. Our lives are the most precious things here in the hoard. When the dragon heard his answer, it roared in anger and gnashed its teeth in frustration at losing its dinner. Snorting with annoyance, the dragon finally relented and reluctantly let them exit its lair.

Oh, you want to know what happened to the three pony brothers in the end. After they left my cave, I ate them of course. Those three pony brothers were quite tasty as I recall. Speaking of which, you look rather appetizing…

-Three Strings, Earth Pony Harper, The Last Tale Penned by Three Strings

“Make sure everything is perfect!” the large minotauress demanded, while inspecting her reflection with a critical eye. Flexing in front of the mirror of polished brass hanging from the wall, she stared hard at it with her fierce piercing golden eyes. Striking and holding a pose that displayed as much of her impressive physique as possible, she waited as her servants appraised her statuesque beauty. Her goat, bison, and minotaur servants silently scrutinized her, each of them looking for any minute flaws they could discover on their mistress’s near perfect form.

Impatiently, she flicked her tail while waiting for their verdict. The heat of the morning sun combined with her fear that they might find some imperfection, however insignificant, made her flawless pale green skin and silken coat grow damp with perspiration. She had worked and struggled far too long to fail now, she would be quite cross if it was all for naught. Smiling to herself, she cast a sultry gaze at the mirror and seductively licked her lips. Her body was perfect, no male could possibly resist her even if they wished to. From her large brass clad horns and hooves, to her ample breasts and curvy hips. Everything about her was designed to fill her soon to be consort’s mind with overwhelming lust and desire. Looking down at her immaculately manicured hands, she smiled. They were her secret weapon, no pony mare, diamond dog bitch, griffiness, dragoness, or any of the others possessed such a tactical advantage to win his desire. Their hooves, claws, paws, and feathered wings could only grant a clumsy simulacrum of the pleasures she intended to share with him.

Licking her muzzle with anticipation, she could scarcely wait for the celebration and her ascension in the pantheon as his mate. Although she had quite a bit of power of her own as Lady of Spring, his crown would offer her much prestige, and his powerful armies would lend great strength to her own forces. But the true reason she desired him, was because notaurus had yet managed to overpower him. Neither Lord Ouroboros with his flames of vengeance, Lord Triton with his useless laws, nor Princess Celestia with her scheming tricks had managed to bind him. Not even Lady Zephyr and Lady Suzaku using all their feminine whiles had managed to ensnare him, but she was confident she would succeed where they had failed.

She was destined to succeed because she knew how his mind worked, how he thought. He only respected power and strength, two things which she had in excess. Though her domain was subservient to his, she was far stronger than he. Among the deities of the pantheon, none boasted strength greater than hers. If they ever fought, not even the Fire Tyrant could hope to escape her powerful grasp. When the time of renewal came, she would be ready. Being attuned to the Earth, they were both aspects of growth and fertility. She could see it now, she would boldly approach him once he had completed the ceremony, and request… no, demand that he wrestle her. Once he’d accepted her challenge, she would overpower him, throw him to the earth, and then allow her charms to do the rest. She imagined how it would unfold, the once mighty Lord of the Earth at her mercy, subdued and enjoying the lengthy and dexterous ministrations her strong hands would visit on his flesh.

“Lady Minoa,” her chamberlain said, rousing her from her fantasy.

“Have I achieved the pinnacle of perfection?” she asked, while lusting after her own reflection.

“Yes,” her servants chanted in unison.

“Is not my body the strongest, the most awe inspiring, and the most desirable?” she said, gazing longingly at her reflection once more.

“Indeed,” they echoed. “None surpass you in strength, power, or sensuality.”

“Shall I be victorious in breaking the Slave King?” she said, flexing in front of the mirror once more.

“The Slave King will fall before you and worship your hooves!” they shouted with a fever pitch. “The pantheon will tremble at your great strength, and all will seek the pleasure your beauty promises.”

“Excellent,” she said, reluctantly moving away from the mirror and her reflection. “Bring me his gift.”

“Bring forth his gift,” they chanted, while one of her minotaur servants fetched a large wooden and brass chest. He presented it to her with a deep bow, before rejoining her chorus of sycophants.

Opening the chest, she pulled out a large dark green bottle of wine from her special reserve. Due to the nature of the fruits and fermentation process used in its production, only three bottles were produced each year. She was planning on sharing it with him after her inevitable victory over him. Holding the bottle in her hands, she salivated, thinking about how much she would enjoy drinking it with him before making him hers. Once imbibed, this wine would consume who ever had tasted it with an uncontrollable desire for debauchery. Even if he possessed the mental fortitude to resist her curves and soft inviting flesh, this alcoholic aphrodisiac would ensure her success.

“Mistress, shall I have your chorus prepare to accompany you to the Diamond Vale?” the voice of her chamberlain asked, bringing her back to reality once more.

When she heard his question, she tapped her hoof. Though she enjoyed listening to her chorus echoing her every word, she remembered how poorly the Slave King had reacted to their chanting the few times he had visited her labyrinth. It had angered him so greatly, that she had once lost an entire chorus when he petrified them into statues. Of course he offered to restore them when he prepared to return to his own domain. But she found the statues of her former chorus, frozen in time and singing her praises rather charming, and decided to keep them that way. However, it had been rather bothersome waiting for a new chorus to be trained, and their presence might annoy him, so she decided against it.

“No, I shall attend his inauguration alone,” she replied, placing the bottle of wine back in the chest.

“She will attend alone,” the chorus sang.

Returning to gaze at the mirror once more she smiled. “You shall be mine…” she cooed.

“He will be yours!” they sang in unison.

*****

“Lord Triton, how may I serve the Lawgiver?” the seapony mare asked, bowing deeply to her liege lord and trying to hide her blushing face behind her silken mane.

The seapony stallion before her represented everything that she held dear. From his chivalrous behavior, to how he spoke, and the laws he upheld. He was the epitome of seapony culture and was the standard that all stallions wished to become. She loved him so much that if he wished it, she would rush boldly into battle with her trident, readily facing certain death against all the Slave King’s forces. But she knew he loved her so much that he would never ask her or any other to do such a thing. That is why being called to personally serve him filled her heart with great joy.

“Dame Squall, will you act as my second today?” Lord Triton asked, while enjoying his morning meal.

“Your… your second?” she replied, blinking her emerald eyes in disbelief when she heard she was being granted such an honor.

“I apologize that it’s on such short notice,” he said, dabbing away the remnants of his breakfast from his muzzle with a linen napkin. “But Sir Hurricane is in no condition to attend me during today’s negotiations.”

“My liege, forgive my presumption in asking,” she said, bowing once more. “But didn’t you, Princess Celestia, and the Slave King all come to an agreement already?”

Lord Triton looked down at the young chevaleresse mare before him and smiled. Stroking his magnificent green mustache he let out a small chuckle. “Dame Squall,” he said, gesturing towards the hill overlooking the beach where the Slave King’s stone throne could be seen. “All that’s been decided is for a secession of hostilities. We still have the matter of the city administrator to decide, plus there’s the changeling spy you intercepted, and that blighter Sombra to deal with.”

When she heard her liege mention the changeling, she narrowed her eyes into slits and angrily ground her teeth. Her wounded pride and tarnished honor had made sleeping last night a restless affair. Not until that beast was brought to justice, would she be able to look herself in the mirror again. Why hadn’t she thought to bring her trident with her? A knight’s weapon was their life, and because of her negligence, the changeling had almost killed them and slipped away to Celestia knows where.

Bowing her head, she sighed, thinking of yesterday’s failure and determined she wouldn’t fail her liege again. “It will be my honor to serve you,” she said, presenting her trident to him.

The Lawgiver nodded at her approvingly. “Truthfully,” he said, drinking some spiced wine from his cup, “the reason I want you as my second is because you faced the changeling infiltrator and spoke with the Slave King about it.”

When she heard him mention last night’s confrontation that she had had with the Lord of Earth, she blanched. Though her blood had run hot with wrath at what she had supposed was a slight against her, she still couldn’t believe he hadn’t smitten her with some terrible curse for her outburst against him. If the rumors were to be believed, the Slave King was some sort of vengeful monster. Stories were told of ponies that displeased him being turned into surprised statues, screaming shades painted onto the walls of the warren of mines running deep in the ruins of the Diamond Vale, or even a few very unlucky souls being cast into the Pit itself, keeping the Unmentionable One company until the end of time.

When he saw her unease, he placed a fin comfortingly on her shoulder. “I think he likes you,” he said, looking at her with his sea green eyes.

“Why in Equestria would he like me?” she asked, surprised by the revelation.

“Long ago,” he said, reminiscing about times long since passed, “two of my knights performed a great service for him. He’s never forgotten it. I can see why he thinks kindly of you. Your eyes hold the same righteous gleam theirs once did.”

“I’ll take your word for it my liege,” she worriedly said, concerned that she might embarrass him in front of his peers during today’s meeting.

“Don’t worry so much chevaleresse,” he said, trying to put her fears to rest. “You’ll do well daughter, anypony that can stand up unflinchingly to a member of the pantheon possesses a quality of bravery few hold.”

She desperately wanted to believe her liege, but she still felt doubt and trepidation lingering in the back of her mind. “Ye… yes, I won’t disappoint you, Lord Triton,” she said, saluting him once.

Satisfied that he’d buoyed her confidence sufficiently, he rose from his seat and moved towards the Slave King’s throne. “Come,” he said, offering her a warm smile. “Let’s be off, we wouldn’t want to keep the Slave King waiting.”

“Of course my liege,” she said, following up the hill after him.

*****

Staring into the dying embers of the fire, he found that his heart felt even more tumultuous than before. Before coming here, he’d been so sure that he would’ve made his father proud. Instead, all he had to show for his troubles was heartache. Looking to the east, he saw the dawn’s light threatening to chase away the darkness. He wished that washing away the resentment he felt would be as easy. Looking at his half-sister peacefully sleeping beside him, he wondered how she managed to cope with being so close to their father, yet so far from him.

“Couldn’t sleep, Dawson?” Melody yawned, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes with her hands.

“I tried, but just couldn’t get any,” he said, stifling a yawn.

“You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself,” she said, placing her hand gently on his shoulder. “The Slave King is somefeather who respects strength and skill. I think you’ve shown that to him in spades. I’d be surprised if he didn’t make you an offer one day to join the ‘Order of the Shadow’.”

When he heard her mention the order, his heart beat quickened. “You think he wants me to join even after he flat out told me he had no use for me?” he asked, finding her assessment of his chances of fulfilling his lifelong dream difficult to believe.

“Yes I do,” she said, giving him a gentle smile. “Dawson, we just have to be patient with him.”

“Be patient…” he mused, feeling unhappy that he had to wait once again. Patience was never one of his strong suites. Ever since he was a fledgling, he’d been impulsive and quick to action, much to his mother’s chagrin. He smiled when he remembered his mother’s exasperated look of relief the first time he decided to try flying. He’d been so impatient to test out his wings, he’d leapt off the tallest cliff in the Golden Eyrie. Recklessly leaping without even bothering to check his feathers first, he nearly plummeted to his death before his wings caught air, saving him from smashing onto the ground below.

“Come on, Dawson,” Melody said, nudging him to follow her. “We’d better find Lady Zephyr, I’m sure she’s worried about you.”

“Yes, I am,” the Lady of Air said from above them. Landing in front of them, she folded her wings and tapped her talons against the earth. With a look of gratitude, she approached the harper. “Melody, the Yellow, thank you for watching out for my son, I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to him.”

“Lady Zephyr, it was my pleasure,” she said with a small bow. Walking over to Dawson, she gave him a hug. “Besides, I could never let anything happen to him, he’s such a cutie.”

Blushing slightly, he rolled his eyes at her teasing words. Remembering the scene she’d made in front of Aria, he gave her a tired look. “Ugh Melody, you’re such a tease!” he complained, feeling embarrassed by her affection.

When she saw her son’s protests, she smiled. She could remember the Slave King protesting similarly many centuries ago. “So, Dawson, are you ready to go home, or do you have any other tournaments you want to enter without telling me about?” she icily asked, making sure he knew he was still in trouble for disobeying her.

When he heard her accusation, he sheepishly looked down at his feet and scratched the back of his neck. “I’m in trouble aren’t I?” he asked, hoping to diffuse his mother’s wrath.

When she heard her son’s question she embraced him. “My son, I’m just glad you’re alright,” she fiercely said, not ever wanting to let go of him again. When she felt him relax, she gripped his shoulders with her talons, and stared into his eyes. “What were you thinking, Dawson? You could’ve been killed, in fact you nearly were.”

“I thought I could win his approval if I showed him I was a skilled warrior,” he sighed, wishing he could escape his mother’s searching eyes.

Her hardened eyes softened as she heard her son’s heartfelt desire. Holding him close, she looked into his eyes. Thinking back to what she shared with the Slave King in the spirit realm last night, she offered him a warm smile. “My son,” she said, “one day he’ll be ready, just be patient. Until then, know that no matter what, I’ll always love you.”

Hearing his mother’s words brought him a small modicum of comfort, but he longed to hear it from his father instead. “Mother, does that mean I’m not in any trouble?” he asked, hoping she was feeling merciful.

“Oh no, you’re still in trouble, mister,” she replied, giving her son a kiss. “But we can discuss your punishment later, after we get home.”

Melody sighed contentedly as she watched them. Seeing Dawson and Lady Zephyr together, made her realize how much she missed her own mother, Lady Suzaku. It had been over a year since she had last had an opportunity to visit the Summer Palace in the Domain of Fire. She wondered whether or not she would be attending the Slave King’s inauguration later that week.

“Melody?” Lady Zephyr asked, interrupting her thoughts. “What time is the awards ceremony occurring?”

“Oh, I think not for another hour or so,” she replied, daintily tapping a finger against her beak. Securing her lute, she motioned for them to follow her. “Would either of you care to join me for breakfast?”

Lady Zephyr thought it over as she looked towards the Slave King’s throne in the distance. She was about to say no, when Dawson gave his mother a plaintive look that melted her heart. Looking at her son, she sighed and nodded her assent. “I guess it would be a waste to head north, just to fly back to Neo Vale as soon as we got home,” she said, before pointing a talon squarely at Dawson’s chest. “But I expect you to behave yourself. No getting into adventures or mischief, I mean it!”

“Oh don’t worry about him,” Melody said, flashing her a cheeky grin. “I’ll make sure Dawson’s a good boy.”

Placated by Melody’s assurances of good behavior, she gave her son one last hug before stretching out her wings. “I’ll be sending word to have the Slave King’s gift flown down to the Diamond Vale,” she said, before wheeling towards the Slave King’s hill. “I’ll see you later.”

Once they were alone, Melody poked Dawson in the ribs. “So... feeling hungry?” she asked, licking her beak in anticipation of enjoying a hearty meat filled breakfast.

Dawson nodded once as he followed after her towards the mess tent.

*****

“Excellent work, grub,” the great doomhound said to a rather scruffy looking diamond dog, while examining the contents of the cage.

“I live only to serve, Lord Second,” the diamond dog said with a slight bow.

“As long as you keep getting paid you mean,” Second replied, giving him a wary look.

“It’s written the laborer is worthy of his hire,” he replied, dropping his disguise and revealing his true form, that of a changeling. “Besidez, workingz forz youse iz much too funz.”

“Entertaining enough to perhaps work pro bono?” Second asked, examining the prisoner sleeping in the cage.

“Ize don’tz bez mixing bizness with ze pleasurez,” he greedily buzzed. “Ize stillz expectingz to bez paid.”

“Don’t worry, Bazzt Zzzt, you’ll be well compensated for your part in this,” he said, looking at the changeling with a devious smile. “Well just as long as your little subterfuge works. Otherwise, I’ll have no choice but to hand you over to the Slave King.”

When Bazzt Zzzt heard Second’s backup plan, he involuntarily shuddered. “Ize don’tz appreciatez beingz threatened,” he angrily buzzed in protest.

"Then pray to your queen that it works,” Second replied with a toothy smile, showing off his razor sharp teeth. His ears twitched as he looked towards the tent’s entrance. “Someone approaches, assume your disguise.”

“And what disguise would that be?” a voice asked from outside the tent. Moments later a large spectral hound covered in heavy plate armor entered, followed by his protégé Aria, the Red.

“Master Scourge, and his little bird,” Second venomously spat. Worried that he’d been discovered, he looked for his accomplice, but found himself alone inside the tent. “What a pleasant surprise. To what do I owe this pleasure?”

“Master Scourge asked you a question, mongrel,” Aria growled, as she cracked her knuckles.

“Nothing you need to concern yourself with,” Second sneered at them.

“I know you’ve allied yourself with a changeling infiltrator,” Scourge accused, looking him in the eye.

“Poor, slow, dimwitted, Scourge,” he said, taunting his fellow doomhound. “I’m afraid you’ve reached an erroneous conclusion.”

“Watch your tongue traitor, or I’ll remove it,” Aria hissed, placing her hand on the hilt of her knife.

“Little bird, shut your beak. The adults are talking,” he said, giving her a dismissive look.

“You’re digging your grave deeper,” Scourge warned, through bared teeth. “When the Slave King learns of your treachery, a quick death is the best fate you can hope for.”

“Scourge, I think not,” he replied with a dark chuckle.

“I always knew you were a treacherous beast, but I never expected you to be touched by madness,” Scourge said, looking confusedly at his subordinate.

“That’s because once again, I’ve achieved what you’ve failed to do,” Second answered, directing them towards the cage in the back of his tent. Pointing towards the black carapace of its unconscious occupant, he grinned victoriously. “As you can plainly see, I’ve managed to capture the changeling saboteur. The Slave King will reward me handsomely for this.”

When he saw the changeling sleeping peacefully in the cage, Scourge was dumbfounded. It made no sense. All the evidence pointed towards Second having betrayed them, yet here was the changeling. Smelling the changeling captive, he detected two scents, both smelt strongly of betrayal. Turning towards Second, he narrowed his eyes in frustration that he would escape justice once again.

“I don’t know what game you’re playing at, traitor,” he snarled. “But one day you’ll trip up, and I’ll be waiting.”

“I’m sure,” Second said with a dark laugh. “Now don’t you have more important things to be doing, like haunting a crypt?”

When she heard the insult against her beloved master, Aria drew her knife with the intent to slay him. Shaking his head, Scourge directed her to put the weapon away. “Come Aria, we’re leaving” he said, casting a baleful look towards the gloating Second. “There’ll come a time for vengeance, but today is not that day.”

“Yes, listen to your master, little birdie,” Second taunted her. “Best watch out, old Scourge will not always be there to protect you.”

Before exiting the tent, Scourge looked back towards his fellow doomhound. “Second, let me offer you a bit of wisdom I learned in the Summerlands,” he said, without a hint of malice in his rumbling voice.

“And, oh great and mighty Scourge, what is that?” he asked, rolling his eyes dismissively.

“No matter how great or powerful you might be in life, everyhound eventually dies and has their souls weighed in the Summerlands,” he said, before exiting the tent with Aria. “Just something I thought you might like to think about.”

Once they’d left him, Second felt his racing heart slow. That had been a close one. Had Scourge managed to discover Bazzt Zzzt, he would’ve been unable to escape the Slave King’s judgment for his treachery, and his master’s wrath for his failure.

“Second, you need to learn to relax,” Bazzt Zzzt said from behind him.

“You idiot, you nearly ruined everything!” he snarled at the changeling.

“Oh please,” Bazzt Zzzt said, shifting into an unassuming chest, before changing back into his diamond dog disguise. “This is hardly my first mission.”

“It will be your last, if you ever endanger me again,” he said with a voice as cold as death.

“Then, master, I shall ensure that I’m far away from you should that ever happen,” he replied with a devilish grin.

“Get out of my sight!” Second growled, enraged that he couldn’t kill the changeling yet for his insolence, “and tell Sombra to come to my tent.”

“As you wish, Master Second. As always, I remain your humble yet well compensated servant,” the changeling said, before exiting the tent.

Second looked at the peacefully sleeping changeling lying inside the cage, he imagined how the Slave King might torture the creature before killing it, and smiled. He hated everything about these filthy creatures, from their shiny black carapaces and the holes in their spindly legs, to their multifaceted eyes and gossamer wings. He only tolerated Bazzt Zzzt’s presence because he was a useful tool, nothing more. Once his plan was complete and his position secure, he would enjoy slowly killing that uppity changeling.

Looking at its curvy feminine form, he found himself salivating from heightened arousal. Growling in disgust at his moment of weakness for even entertaining the idea of using the prisoner in that way, he roughly shook the cage with his mighty paws. The sounds of the poor changeling waking and squeaking in terror as it body smashed against the cage, was music to his ears.

“Bug, I’m glad that you’re awake now,” he said, shaking the cage once more for good measure.

Disoriented from the anesthetic poison she had been administered last night, Bixie’s body ached everywhere. Confused as to why she was being treated so poorly, she looked up at her captor with a mixture of fear and defiance on her face. “Let me go!” she demanded, struggling to stand up on her unsure limbs. She still felt weak and lethargic from the effects of the poison, and was unsure what her cruel looking diamond dog jailor wanted with her.

Second ran one of his razor sharp claws against the flesh inside one of the holes that pocked her foreleg, nicking the delicate skin, and making her squeal with pain. “Speak out of turn again, bug, and what I do next will make that feel like a tickle,” he said, relishing the distress and fear reflected in her eyes.

“Wha… what do you want with me…” she weakly asked, slightly trembling and feeling terrified of what his answer might be.

The moment she spoke, she immediately regretted it. She felt him grab her ear with his paw, crushing it as hard as he could. Bixie screamed in agony, when she felt her cheek become wet as blood ran freely down the side of her head. She gasped in pain when she felt his heavy paw smash against her hind leg. She thought she felt something snap as she fell down against the iron floor of her prison. When she attempted standing, she found it hurt too much to move and laid helpless on the floor. Silently crying in pain, she desperately tried escaping her tormentor’s reach, but found the cage too small to offer any means of retreat.

When he saw the changeling lying prone and trembling in fear, Second knew she was broken of her initial defiance and ready for interrogation. Though Bazzt Zzzt’s plan was a good one, it still relied on their changeling ‘saboteur’ not offering a contradicting story when the Slave King got a hold of her. Once Sombra arrived, they would begin her indoctrination, ensuring she’d offer a proper admission of guilt when pressed.

“I was told you wanted to see me, Master Second,” Sombra said, as he entered the tent.

Second cast a burning eye towards his subordinate, displeased that he couldn’t continue her torments. “Sombra, we have a small problem,” he said, gesturing towards the beaten and sobbing changeling trembling in her cage. “It seems that our guest is convinced that she’s innocent of her crimes.”

“Give her to me, and I’ll beat a confession out of her broken body,” Sombra growled, making Bixie’s heart race with terror as she thought of the tortures that he might visit upon her.

“Sombra, no, no, no,” Second said, waving his claw. “The prisoner must be well enough to freely admit her guilt. I was hoping that you might convince her that it would be foolish to do otherwise.”

Sombra’s burning red eyes looked down at Bixie, giving her a malevolent leer. “By the time I’m finished with her,” he said, slowly approaching her cage, “I’ll get her to admit to being Lord Triton’s illegitimate bastard love foal if you want.”

“No, I think getting her to admit her guilt in interfering with yesterday’s contest will be enough,” Second replied, approving of Sombra’s zeal for the task.

“What is your name?” Sombra demanded, squeezing her lame leg with his magic when she failed to speak.

“Bix… Bixie,” she gasped in agony. “Please stop, oh Celestia it hurts so much.”

“Prisoner, you have no name! Why are you here?” he barked, squeezing her leg a bit harder.

“I don’t know! Please, it hurts so much!” she cried out.

“Wrong answer!” he shouted, slapping her across the muzzle with his arcanum shod hoof. The force of the impact left a dark purple welt on her cheek, making her scream in pain.

“You are a changeling spy and saboteur, intent on breaking the fragile peace between the Slave King and Lord Triton,” he accused, pulling her muzzle close to his with his magic’s telekinetic grip. “You were apprehended trying to elude capture.”

When she heard the accusation’s she shook her head, she was just a changeling harvester not a saboteur. “I… I’m no spy,” she weakly said, trying to protest her innocence.

“Prisoner, shut your lying mouth!” he snarled, squeezing her leg so hard that she nearly blacked out from the pain. “Now once again, prisoner, why are you here?”

“I’m no spy, I’m argh!” she squealed, when Sombra twisted her leg nearly to the point of breaking. “I’m… I’m a spy and saboteur.”

Pleased with the progress they were making, Sombra released his grip on her throbbing leg. “See, telling the truth wasn’t so hard now was it?” he whispered into her ear, stroking her back as she sobbed in despair. “It will be much easier for you if you just accept things and take the just punishment for your crimes.”

“You promise?” she asked, desperate from a reprieve from this torture.

“Yes, of course,” he said, stroking her head once more. “So tell me why you were fixing the contests. Were you trying to win some bets?”

“Please, I just want to go home,” Bixie said, looking up at him pleadingly.

“You are home,” he growled, pressing her muzzle roughly against the iron bars of her cage. “Now tell me why you were fixing the contests.”

“I’m not sure,” she said, struggling in vain against his magic’s grasp.

“Liar!” he roared, slamming her face against the floor of the cell. “You’re a changeling spy and you deserve to die for your crimes against the Slave King!”

She gasped for air as his magic constricted her airflow, if she was still able to she would’ve screamed as she felt his magic crushing her delicate wings.

“Now answer me correctly, or I swear I’ll make you regret it,” he darkly said, leering at her maliciously. “Spy, why did you try fixing the contests?”

“I… I was being greedy, and tried winning some bets,” she said, with a hoarse voice in between coughs as she gasped for air.

“And what do lying changeling spies deserve?” he asked, sending a bolt of magical energy into her, making her spasm in pain. “I ask again, what do worthless changeling spies like you deserve?”

“I don’t know!” she screamed, not sure what her tormentor wanted to hear. “Tell me and I’ll say it!”

Sombra sent several more bolts of magical energy coursing up and down her body, as he laughed at her suffering. “They deserve to die!” he cried out in fury, hitting her with the spittle escaping from his mouth. “You deserve to die as well, don’t you?”

“Yes, yes, I deserve to die!” she sobbed, as the energy mercilessly wracked her body. “Please make it stop! For the love of Celestia, just make it stop!”

“I believe admitting your guilt and accepting responsibility for your crimes has earned you a small reprieve from your penance,” he said, releasing his magic’s hold on her. “Once you’ve caught your breath, we’ll continue the interrogation.”

Bixie said nothing, instead curled up into a ball, crying as her body shook from the torments she’d just experienced.

Pleased by how pliant the prisoner was proving, Sombra was confident she would say whatever they needed by the time the Slave King received his prisoner. “Master Second, the prisoner will be ready in time,” he said with a small bow.

“Good,” Scourge said, exiting the tent. “I’ll expect her properly broken in, by the time we bring her before the Slave King.”

Once his master had left, Sombra turned back to Bixie and offered her a wicked smile. “Now, my dear, let’s continue our conversation,” he said, her terror reflected in his wild eyes as his horn crackled with power. “Prisoner, why are you here…”

*****

She was feeling miserable. All she wanted was to be left alone to wallow in self-pity, after what happened this morning she was sure he would want nothing more to do with her. Why did things always have to be so complicated? Why couldn’t the object of her desire see she was far better than then the others, and ignore their clumsy attempts to woo him? She had been so sure last night that she might have finally found at last some small measure of happiness. But no, her sister had to go and ruin everything, leaving her out in the cold once again.

Thinking back to what she had seen earlier in the gem, she wondered what the steward of the underworld would need with such an artifact. She involuntarily shivered as she remembered all those empty searching eyes, and their mournful wails of despair. Such misfortune was not unknown to her, for she reigned over all the shadows. When the living lived lives of disharmony, it wasn’t uncommon for them to wander in vain, forever searching for the Summerlands. It was the lot of the wicked to be denied rest, until their souls had finally made peace with themselves regarding their wicked deeds.

She considered that perhaps he used the gem to view the torments of his former masters. From what she knew about him from her previous dealings with him, and from the interdomain gossip she’d heard about him, she knew he had a long memory. Remembering her first encounter with him in the Well of Eternity, she wondered if he still harbored a grudge against her for her part in his banishment. Even now, she could feel the chains barring him entry to her domain. She wondered why he’d allowed himself to be at her mercy last night. Had she chosen, she could have easily wounded him. Remembering how he’d complimented her beauty and shared himself with her, she felt her heart race. Oh he did desire her, she just knew it! Perhaps he was simply shy and pined after her beauty from a far, or perhaps wayfarers expected the females to initiate courtship. After all, Lady Zephyr and Lady Suzaku did approach him first.

We shalt make him ours, she decided, clopping her hooves together in delight. We shall strike while the iron is hot, court him, and make his heart ours and ours alone. And then with him at our side, we will never be lonely or unappreciated ever again.

At the approach of a pair of flapping wings, her ears tilted towards the one encroaching upon her solitude. Though the scheme she’d hatched to ensnare the Slave King’s affections had left her in winsome spirits, she was still feeling a bit woebegone that her sister had been given such lovely gift, while she had received nothing. As such, she was in no mood to deal with who she was sure was a messenger from her sister, imploring her to return. Without bothering to see who it was, she lifted her muzzle daintily in the air and purposefully ignored whoever it was that had been sent to retrieve her.

“Princess Luna?” a feminine voice asked. “The others are waiting for you to return with me.”

“Leave us! We hast no desire to be seen by anypony right now,” she said, indignantly shaking her flowing mane, showing her obvious displeasure at being so rudely disturbed by a mere messenger.

“But the Slave King…” the messenger replied, before being interrupted by Princess Luna.

“The Slave King personally requested our presence?” she asked, opening an eye and looking at the messenger for the first time. To her surprise she saw it was none other than a rather annoyed looking Harmony, the Black.

“I didn’t actually say…” she said, as Luna ignored her.

We knew he cared for us! she thought, delighted that he’d personally sent Harmony to beg for her to return to his side. How shoulds’t we respondeth to his entreaty? We wish not to appear desperate… Hmm, perhaps we shoulds’t acteth aloof, feigning disinterest at his petition. Nay, mayhaps he shalt interpret such as a grave insult. Then instead of receiving his affection, we shalt receive naught but his animosity.

When she saw Princess Luna pace back and forth and murmuring to herself, Harmony looked up at the sun rising in the sky and narrowed her eyes impatiently at the alicorn. Lord Triton had insisted that the wayward goddess be present before finalizing the day’s negotiations, much to the Slave King’s annoyance. Privately, he’d stressed to her how much he desired at least a full day in his palace before the renewal of Earth ceremony, and all these delays were pushing his time table back.

Hoping to encourage her to return to meeting with her, she tried appealing to her sense of duty. “Princess Luna,” she plaintively said, “Lord Triton is refusing to allow negotiations to proceed without your presence. Unless you return…”

When Harmony mentioned The Lawgiver’s demands, she rolled her eyes. He simply wishes to embarrass us before the Slave King, by making us return like a penitent foal, she darkly thought. He knows our desire and hopes to sabotage us. Well he had his chance, we shan’t give the blowhard the satisfaction!

This is so infuriating! she growled, grinding her teeth in exasperation at the uncooperative princess. Lord Triton and Princess Celestia are surely giving the Slave King a difficult time over this, and once again I’m going to have to deal with the fallout. Perhaps an appeal to her sister’s needs might do the trick.

“Princess Luna,” Harmony said as sweetly as she could, while silently wishing she would come down with a bad case of the feather flu. “Princess Celestia said she needs your help with these negotiations. Your Twilight Knights are going to be stationed in Bone’s Landing, and she can’t finalize their use without your approval. Furthermore…”

Celestia… she growled, making her horn and eyes glow with shadow magic when she remembered how her sister had been muscling in on her stallion. Why couldn’t she leave well enough alone? That mare had such gall. Not only did she push her towards the Slave King to tease her tender heart, when it seemed as if she might finally find a small piece of happiness, she attempted to steal him for herself. Well never again, she swore. We shall fight thee from the highest peak of Darkpaw’s Spine to the depths of the Western Sea if needs be. We shall pursue thee to the edge of the Pit itself if thou refuseth to yield to us. None else shall have him, we so swear it!

Harmony felt the feathers on the back of her neck standing on end, when she felt the powerful shadow magic emanating from Luna. Feeling her anger and resentment, she worried for her safety. Though Lord Triton had made her feel apprehensive yesterday, even his simmering anger hadn’t generated such fear. She knew that unless she could convince her to return of her own accord, Princess Luna might do something foolish. Leaving her to once again to pick up the pieces if she decided to be unruly. Had she been dealing with anyfeather else, she would’ve slapped her, and made her see reason. Though as tempting as that might be, she decided her old standby, flat out lying, would probably do the trick.

“Well since you’ve decided not to return with me, I’m sure Lady Zephyr will be more than happy to have your spot at the table…” she said, hoping that her white lie would cajole her to return with her to the meeting.

“Lady Zephyr, thou sayest?” Princess Luna asked, with worry in her teal eyes and wearing a slight frown.

“Oh yes,” she replied, stretching out her wings and arms. “She and the Slave King were getting on rather famously earlier. In fact, I even saw him laughing with her when I left.”

Oh no. No, no, no, no. No! She can’t have him, I won’t allow it! she thought, her mind roiling and seething in anger at the revelation. She had her chance, and lost him. He’s mine now!

All too easy, Harmony thought, pleased with herself when she saw Luna’s inner turmoil. Hoping to spur her to action, she smiled and offered her a solution. “The meeting hasn’t resumed yet, if we hurry back you can have your spot by his side once again.”

“Ah yes, we thank thee for this magister,” she said, unfurling her wings and flying back towards the Slave King’s hill as fast as her wings allowed.

When she saw that she was on her way back, she pulled out a small mirror as she checked for feathers that were out of place. When she saw the worry lines worn into her face she sighed, “Mother was right, I am going to end up with wrinkles,” she said, before flying after Luna.

*****

“Gentlestallions,” she said, looking into both Lord Triton and the Slave King’s eyes. “I’m glad we could all come to an accord regarding Bone’s Landing,”

“Princess Celestia, we still haven’t seen to the most pressing matter yet,” Lord Triton said, casting a baleful glare towards their host. “Unless an acceptable resolution occurs, there will be no agreement between us, and most certainly no peace.”

She could scarcely believe her ears, the Lawgiver was going to breach their agreement. In all her many centuries of having known the Lord of Water, not once had he ever threatened to break his word. Sighing once, she turned towards the Slave King and gave him a plaintive look. The means to keeping the peace was in his hooves, all he had to do was offer Lord Triton a small concession and there would be no conflict.

“Princess Celestia, the Radiant, I sense you have something you wish to say. Speak your mind, we aren’t omniscient after all,” the Slave King said, giving her a contemptuous look, daring her to speak her mind without guile.

When she heard his words provoking her, she bit her lower lip worriedly. Had they been alone, she would’ve gladly taken the bait and given him an earful. But with Lord Triton, Lady Zephyr, and even her own sister looking at her expectantly, she had to hold her tongue and practice proper etiquette as the head of the Pantheon. “Gentlestallions,” she said, giving each of them a stern look. “What I want is irrelevant, I am merely an intermediary in this quarrel. But consider this, the price for breaking the peace will have consequences.”

“The Earth shall subsist as always,” the Slave King declared, pointing a finger towards Lord Triton. “And all the relentless waves of the Western Sea pounding endlessly on my borders won’t change that.”

“We shall see what my allies in the Pantheon have to say about your defiance,” Lord Triton countered. “Even Lord Ouroboros will join with me.”

“You can do whatever you want, Lawgiver,” the Slave King said, tapping his finger against the stone table. “I can guarantee your coalition will be without most of the great powers.”

“My cause is just. You have wronged me and my people, the rest will support my petition against you,” he said, looking expectantly towards Lady Zephyr and Princess Luna.

“Swallow your pride, lest you end up like Lord Ouroboros,” the Slave King said. “Lady Zephyr, Lady Suzaku, and even Lady Minoa will never join you against me. Should I have no other recourse, I will give them what they desire, and in turn gain their protection. Even Luna, the Beautiful will join with me if I make her the same offer.”

When the goddesses heard what the Slave King said, each of them blushed crimson. Flanked by both Lady Zephyr and Princess Luna, he gave each of them a slight smile before turning his attention back to Lord Triton.

Though there were no official rules regarding interdomain courtship, it was agreed long ago after a long and bloody period of interdomain civil war, that nopony would use their consorts as political tools. With the Slave King breaking this taboo either knowingly or unknowingly, she didn’t care. But the fact that he would so callously use her sister in this way without any consideration for her feelings, made any guilt Princess Celestia felt about her plans for him, evaporate into the aether.

“Tread carefully Slave King,” she said, looking at the spirit chains attached to his wrists. “The heart of a goddess is not to be trifled with, especially not one that has your fate in her hooves.”

When her sister had finished speaking, Princess Luna gave her chain a good shake, forcing his hand against her silken coat. “Slave King, we beseech thee,” she warmly said, nibbling his shoulder affectionately. “Dost not make promises thou intendest not to keep.”

Lady Zephyr saw Celestia’s mirthful smile and decided to play along .Though her heart would leap at the chance to have him once more, the Slave King had crossed the line and needed to be reminded of his place. “Yes my love,” she cooed into his ear, running a talon along his chest and rubbing her head against him affectionately. “Say the word and we’ll ensure that Lord Triton never harms you.”

When he felt their affections as they caressed him, his body went rigid as his eyes darted back and forth wildly as he looked for a means of escape. Seeing his rival’s predicament, Lord Triton laughed heartily. Though he fully intended to see justice done here, seeing the Slave King like this only reminded him of his inexperience and he felt a sliver of brotherly compassion for him.

“Princess Celestia,” he said with a grin, “I think the Slave King has learned his lesson, don’t you?”

“I don’t know Lord Triton,” she said, walking towards the Slave King and nibbling on his ear. “Offering a mare whatever she wants, is a rather tempting offer.”

“Well old bean, it looks like you’ve caught yourself at least five centuries of romantic entanglements,” he said, stroking his mustache thoughtfully.

Had he still had a heart, it would’ve been racing uncontrollably as he felt himself inundated with their love, desire, and affection. Sinking back into his stone throne he thought of her, “Little Bleu…” he groaned.

When Celestia heard the name, her heart was pricked with compassion for him, and she decided he had learned his lesson. “Mares, I think we’ve overwhelmed him,” she said, signaling to the others that he’d had enough for now. “Let’s let the Slave King consider our response to his generous offer.”

Lady Zephyr pecked his cheek once and withdrew to a respectful distance, allowing him some breathing room. Luna saw her sister returning back to her seat, and drew her muzzle close to his ear. “If thou ever decideth thou desireth more, thou needeth only to ask,” she whispered, before leaving his side.

Before his ascension he had often been afraid, it once stalked him like an unrelenting shadow. But after his change, fear had left him. Much like his missing heart, fear no longer had any place to find purchase inside him. Until now that is. As their affections threatened to worm their way into his heart, he felt her slipping away from him, and he worried that he would never be reunited with her again. The emptiness ached inside him and he longed for more, but he didn’t dare yield to it. Clutching the armrests of his stone throne until his knuckles turned white, he looked warily at the goddesses. “Perhaps Lord Triton, we’ve put the cart before the horse,” he said, his green eyes burning like weak embers.

“What do you mean, Slave King?” he asked, hopeful that a peaceful resolution regarding Shadow Knight Sombra could be reached.

“I mean Sombra hasn’t made his request regarding the contest yet,” he said, looking towards Second who was waiting near his tent. “Perhaps, he might be convinced not to ask for the garrison commander’s position over Bone’s Landing.”

Lord Triton was shocked. In all the years he knew the Slave King, never before had he volunteered such a conciliatory offer of his own free will. Though he still felt steamed regarding the whole situation, that he would willingly humble himself in this way made the Lawgiver’s earlier desire to mentor him resurface. Perhaps this is a sign of his desire to reform, he thought. He had never desired to make the human his enemy. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond his grasp, things had spiraled out of control, and now they had a rather antagonistic relationship. This time Slave King, he thought, things will be different.

“If you manage to do it, I shall consider this matter closed,” he said, offering his rival a smile.

“I’ll do what I can,” the Slave King said, leaving his throne and walking towards his tent.

Celestia felt relief wash over her, as she walked him leave the table. Things had threatened to irrecoverably crumble before her eyes, and without her having to do anything they had reached past their differences. Though she wondered how far the Slave King would have been willing to go with his threat to proposition a majority of the Pantheon. Reflecting back to the hollow empty look he wore while they pressed against him, she wondered what had caused him such discomfort. To her knowledge, he had been with both deities and mortals alike. What about their affection did he find so terrifying?

Looking towards Lord Triton she warmly smiled. “Thank you for your willingness to compromise,” she said.

“It was his willingness to humble himself,” he said, stroking his mustache. “I’ll admit my pride gets the better of me sometimes.”

“Only sometimes?” she asked, with a teasing laugh.

“Point taken, Celestia,” he said, giving her a thoughtful look. “I see in him, somepony that just needs a little gentle correction to guide him to the right path.”

“I agree, Triton,” she said, deciding to share with him her plan for the Slave King. Reaching out with her divinity, she shared her idea with him.

“Hmm… Your plan is not without risk,” he said, mulling over the idea she’d shared with him.

“True,” she agreed. “But think of the rewards if it succeeds. Besides, he suffers greatly, this will allow him to heal, and finally offer the stability that the Pantheon has lacked since Darkpaw’s passing.”

“But wouldn’t you offer more stability?” he asked, confused why she was considering her more emotionally turbulent sister as the final choice.

“I’m prepared to be the fallback if my sister is unable to do what needs to be done,” she said, looking at her sister and Lady Zephyr thoughtfully.

“What of the others?” he asked, eying Lady Zephyr cautiously. “Zephyr, Minoa, and Suzaku especially, will fight you tooth and nail for the chance.”

“The others are not really a concern,” Celestia said, sipping some wine from her cup. “As for the ladies of Air, Summer, and Spring, should they succeed, they should make good matches for him.”

“It seems your scheme is nearly the equal of the Winding One,” he said, offering her the compliment with a smile. “How long have you been planning this?”

“Since my annulment with him,” she said, thinking over the many years she’d been planning this.

“Still holding a grudge over what happened during the last moot?” he asked, drinking his ale.

“Not really,” she replied. “It’s more gratitude than anything else, by offering my ponies so much, he’s ensured a great peace for Equestria. We owe it to him to at least try healing him. Can I count on your aid?”

“Well Celestia, I wish you luck,” he said. “But a word of warning, I’ve found that the Slave King has a way of twisting things to his advantage. But yes, I will aid you in your scheme. I look forward to seeing his reaction, when he learns what you have planned for him.”

Saying nothing, she offered him a smile and drained her cup.

*****

“Slave King, are you alright?” Second asked, looking concerned at his former master’s weary and drained appearance as he followed him inside the tent.

“I…” he said, before looking confusedly at the large cage containing a trembling changeling in the middle of his tent. “What is this?”

“My subordinates were able to track down the changeling saboteur,” he said, giving the silently crying prisoner an evil look.

“Have you now?” the Slave King replied, examining the pitiable creature inside the cage. “Are you certain this is the changeling that thought to disrupt the contest?”

“I am,” Second said, with a grin before turning towards Bixie. “Prisoner, admit your guilt to the Slave King and accept your punishment.”

“I… I was being greedy, and tried fixing the contest to win some bets,” she sobbed, praying that he would end her torment and kill her quickly. “I’m a worthless changeling spy and deserve to die. Please make it quick!”

Something about the changeling’s confession didn’t sit right with him, but he wasn’t quite sure what. Changelings using their abilities for monetary gain wasn’t unheard of, but from what he was told by Melody, that changeling was an expert fighter. He had difficulty believing it would so easily admit to the crimes charged against it. Ever since their queen had attempted harvesting him for love using the form of his beloved Bleu, he’d sworn eternal enmity against their entire race. However seeing the pitiable creature begging for death, filled him with a modicum of compassion.

“You’ve done me a great service, Second,” he said, scratching the doomhound behind the ears. “Perhaps you could be persuaded to perform another for me?”

“For you, my king, anything,” he said, enjoying the attention and praise that had long been denied him.

“Shadow Knight Sombra is entitled to any boon he seeks,” he said, looking out at the city from his tent. “I need you to ensure he doesn’t seek to become the garrison commander of Bone’s Landing.”

When he heard the Slave King’s request, he wanted to howl in victory. He would easily be able to offer him what he wanted, under the guise of looking out for the Domain’s best interests. Truly, he was fated to succeed beyond his dark master’s wildest dreams. “Slave King,” he said, offering a smile that showed off his many sharp teeth, “I have already seen to that.”

“Second, how exactly did you manage that?” he asked his servant, as he looked at the cage thoughtfully.

“Sombra confessed that he desired the prestige of the position when I pressed him,” he explained, giving the Slave King a malevolent look. “I managed to convince him of the error of his desires.”

“How did you manage to do that?” he asked, looking at Second’s massive jaws and claws. “You know interfering with someone else’s reward is a capital offense.”

“I know,” Second said, bowing his head low. “But the well-being and prosperity of the Domain of Earth is above the welfare of any one hound.”

“So what’s he going to ask me for in place of becoming garrison commander,” he asked, wondering how much this was going to cost him.

“Sombra’s reticence to relinquish his claim, required that he suffer for his defiance,” he said, licking his maw. “He agreed to ask for stewardship over the crystal ponies up north, as his penance.”

“The crystal ponies?” the Slave King murmured, scarcely believing that Sombra had agreed to such a post.

“Yes, it’s my hope that after a decade or two in the freezing cold of Winter,” he said, “he’ll learn to respect his betters. Besides, Celestia and Luna can’t possibly complain that a pony is being sent to administer over other ponies, can they.”

“You have my thanks, Second,” the Slave King said. “Now leave me so I can administer the prisoner’s punishment. And remind Sombra, should he abuse the crystal ponies in any way, the full wrath of the Earth will be visited on his head.”

“Of course, my king,” Second said with a slight bow, before exiting the tent. Thoughts of his rewards coursed through his mind. Soon, my master, you shall be free, and I shall rule over the Domain of Earth!

Once they were alone, the Slave King approached the still crying changeling. “He’s nothing but a liar, master,” a feminine voice said from the corner of his tent.

“Gunhilde, what makes you say that?” he asked the young doe, who revealed herself from her hiding spot behind his wardrobe.

“By how much deference he was showing you,” she said, resuming her cleaning duties.

“Am I not the master of the diamond dog race?” he asked her, sitting down on one of his chairs.

“Slave King, you might be the master of the diamond dog race, and over all the Domain of Earth, but he serves another,” she said, picking up a few pieces of clothing to be laundered later.

“You speak truthfully, Gunhilde,” he said, removing his cloak and crown. “What you are about to see, you must reveal to no one.”

“Of course, master,” she said, giving him a respectful bow.

Reaching into the cage, he picked up the weeping changeling and cradled her gently in his arms. “Bring me the Draught of Renewal,” he said, while stroking Bixie’s mane and velveteen carapace.

Curious about what he was going to do with the changeling, she carried a draught filled bottle and a cup to him. Taking the draught, he filled the cup halfway and placed a piece of cloth in it to soak up the sparkling healing draught. Slowly, he squeezed the lustrous green fluid from the cloth into her mouth. After a few minutes, she stopped shaking as her wounds rapidly healed and started purring as he ran his fingers through her mane.

Bixie felt wonderful, but didn’t understand why. She was certain the Slave King was going to kill her because she was a worthless changeling, but instead he’d fed her a delicious beverage and was stroking her gently. Though her body was fully healed, her energy reserves were low. Desperately needing subsistence in the form of love, she reached out to the closest thing she could find.

When she reached what she supposed was his heart, she was disappointed to find it barren and cold. Desperately hungry for anything, she searched deeper and found a tiny spark hidden deep in the inky blackness. To her surprise, it was a love far more pure then any she had ever tasted. Knowing she had no choice, she reached for the memories and began changing her appearance.

Though he thought he was prepared, when he saw her take her form, it took all the strength he had to restrain himself from slaying her. Looking down at the blue unicorn foal he held in his arms, his chest ached and eyes burned. Her light blue mane curled around his fingers, and he was brought back to a place he thought he’d left behind long ago. He shook as he remembered, and willed himself to continue. The foal looked up into his eyes and smiled. Reaching up, she wrapped her hooves around his neck and whispered into his ear.

What she told him nearly brought him to his knees in grief, as his soul cried out to rejoin her. “I love you, daddy,” she whispered.

“I… I love you too, Little Bleu,” he said through clenched teeth, steeling himself from the torment that wracked his body, mind, and soul. “I love you so much, my Little Bleu.”

“Daddy,” she whispered plaintively.

“Enough!” he cried out, overwhelmed with grief and anger. “Change back now. Change back, or I’ll end you!”

The Little Bleu doppelganger froze, terror etched on her face, and quickly reverted back to her changeling self. “I’m sorry,” she said, “I was so starved.”

“If you ever assume that form again, I’ll kill you,” he warned, the grief still echoing in his voice. “But now, you’ll tell me how you got mixed up in all this.”

“I already told you,” she whimpered, remembering the torments that Sombra and Second had visited on her.

“Don’t lie to me, tell me the truth,” he commanded, placing his cloak and crown back on.

“My name is Bixie, and I’m a harvester for my hive…” she said, recounting the events of the past day and crying as she remembered what they had done to her.

“So, little Bixie,” the Slave King said, “I wonder what I should do with you?”

“Please, don’t let them get their hooves on me again!” she begged, weeping at his feet. “I’ll do anything, serve you anyway you want!”

“I have no love to feed you though,” he said, weighing his options.

“I can offer you any carnal desire you wish,” she said, rapidly changing into females of the various races. When she saw his dark scowl, she returned to her changeling form. “Platonic love would work just as well I suppose.”

When Gunhilde saw Bixie’s dilemma, she remembered her despair at being forced into servitude and felt compassion for her predicament. “Slave King, I’m willing to offer what I can,” she said, before growing alarmed by Bixie’s hungry eyes. “I meant, I’ll be happy to give her enough platonic love to get by.”

Bixie’s eyes looked up at the Slave King hopefully as he considered her fate. “Very well my little Bixie, swear fealty to me and I shall grant you my protection,” he said.

“I swear to serve you faithfully, forevermore,” she said, kissing his feet.

Placing his finger on her horn, he released a portion of his divinity into her. “Then, changeling, rise and serve me,” he said. “You shall no longer be called Bixie. You shall be my changer of ways, and walker of shadows. You shall be called, Chrysalis, changing and twisting to trap all those that seek to harm me.”

When she heard his words, she gasped as fire filled her veins and her body shifted and twisted into a much larger form. After a minute, the fire died down. Looking into a nearby mirror, she saw the long legs and larger carapace of a changeling queen rather then the drone she once was.

“Chrysalis, you will obey Gunhilde in all things,” he instructed her. Pointing to the mark on her flank, he released a bit of his power making her wince in pain. “Serve me well and you will never feel the mark’s bite ever again. Displease me, and I’ll make you wish you’d died today.”

“Of… of course, my master,” she said with devotion in her eyes. Changing into a female wayfarer she smiled at him. “Might I show you my gratitude?”

“That won’t be necessary, Chrysalis,” he said, shaking his head with displeasure at her attempt to seduce him. “Ensure you’re not discovered, and you may enjoy the willing males of the army if you desire more than Gunhilde is willing to give you.”

“Oh thank you,” she called after him, as he left the tent. Changing into a diamond dog bitch, she smiled at her reindeer keeper. “Come on, Gunhilde, let’s get some entertainment.”

“Not until this mess is cleaned up,” she retorted, gesturing towards the scattered clothing and blankets strewn about the tent.

“Yes, Gunhilde,” she meekly said, helping her straighten up the tent.

*****

He slowly approached the table, what he’d experienced back at his tent had left its lingering effects on him. Truthfully, he desired to return to that deserted mine shaft and weep for his loss, but he forced himself forward. Returning to his stone throne, he looked at Lord Triton and Princess Celestia. “It is done,” he said, his voice empty and hollow. Slumping into his throne, he remembered what he’d done and wished he was alone so he could grieve.

Lord Triton approached him and grasped his hand with his fin. “Thank you,” he said. “Perhaps one day we can look back on this and laugh.”

When the Slave King didn’t answer, he looked at Princess Celestia with concern.

“Slave King,” she said. Approaching him, she saw the same haunted look of a lost child he wore all those years ago in the mine when he contemplated ending his life. “Remember, you’re no longer alone.”

“I’ll be fine, Celestia,” he murmured, rising from his seat. “Lord Triton and Celestia, the Radiant, I leave the city in your hands until after my renewal ceremony. I must attend to an urgent matter in my Domain. I look forward to entertaining you at my five hundredth inauguration.”

“That hardly seems proper,” Lord Triton said, confused by his behavior. “I could easily reconquer the city in your absence.”

“Then I’ll simply have to retake it,” he replied without much thought. Shuffling away from the hill, he shook once as he held back his lament as Scourge followed after him. “Scourge, see to things. If there are any unforeseen issues, send word to Arch Duke Fifi le Yipyap, he’ll alert me.”

“Of course, my King,” he said, placing his head against his lord’s hand. “Don’t worry, between myself, Aria, Melody, and Harmony we’ll ensure things here are taken care of.”

“Scourge, Gunhilde is to be trusted,” he sighed, as he fought to hold his composure.

“I understand,” he told his friend, “I pray for your success.”

“I’ll see you in a few days my friend,” the Slave King said, before entering an earthen ley line and disappearing into the shadows.

Though he didn’t pretend to know his king’s grief, he pulled back his head and released an unearthly howl, as he mourned for his friend.

*****

It was dark and warm in the depths of the Earth, a comforting type of warmth. It made him think of his long dead mother as he wept alone in the Grotto of Memories. He was waiting for Gunhilde to bring him something he’d left behind in his haste, and was trying his hardest to stop the torrent of tears. He didn’t understand why he was weeping so. It had been nearly a century, since tears had last escaped him. Normally, he would banish this hurt back to the black pit from whence it came. But today the emptiness would serve him well.

“Master?” he heard her say from the far side of the chamber.

“Place the chest on the ground and leave the way you came,” he instructed her, choking back a sob.

“Are you alright?” she asked with concern. Though she didn’t know him that long, she found his behavior a little disconcerting.

“Yes… just go,” he said, almost pleading with her, so he could be alone.

“Very well, master,” she said, as curiosity ate away at her as she climbed the long and winding stairwell back to the ruined palace and ley line that would return her to the camp. She was about to leave when she heard an unearthly howl of despair, echoing from below. Concerned for the Slave King, she trotted back down the stairs and cautiously poked her head out to see if he was okay.

What she saw inside that room was forever etched into her memory. The Slave King had used the crystal gem inside the chest to open up a portal into the underworld. Her heart raced when she heard the cries of thousands of lost souls wailing in unison. Looking at her master, she saw he was covered in green glowing sigils that flowed along his body like water as he manipulated the portal with his hands. What looked like the skeletal remains of hundreds, furiously grasped and clawed at him as he sang a haunting melody that made her shake and quiver in fear.

Watching him stand in front of the portal, she dared not move or make a sound, afraid that she might interrupt the ritual in some way. Listening to his song, she heard another voice join in with his. Unlike his singing, she found the new voice filled her with hope and comfort. She listened as his song changed pitch to match the other, and found herself nearly moved to tears. Though he sang in a tongue she didn’t understand, she lost herself in its rhythm and she longed to join in its melody. Slowly, the light of the portal faded from black, bathing the room with its gentle golden light. As the singing grew louder, the hellish wailing faded away to nothing, and all she could hear was the heavenly voice singing a duet with his.

Looking into the portal, she saw the World Tree, Yggdrasil, and silently wept at its beauty. Though it would mean her death, had the portal been in front of her, she would have gladly entered so she could taste the succulent fruits hanging from its boughs. She watched in awe, as a golden spirit exited the portal while he sang and held it in his hands. Letting the spirit go, he began shaping something from the dirt at his feet. As the clay form took shape, she gasped when she realized it looked exactly like the unicorn foal the changeling had become earlier. Slowly the golden spirit entered the clay body, and the Slave King gently picked it up. Cradling it in his arms, he rocked it back and forth and gently kissed its forehead.

“Little Bleu, I love you so much,” he whispered, to the slowly breathing foal in his arms. “Please stay with me this time, I miss you so much.”

“I love you too, daddy,” the foal weakly said. “I’ll be waiting for you beneath the shade of a green tree. Then you, Uncle Snowe, and I can swim together in the Western Sea under the sun and moon.”

“Please stay with me,” he begged, as the foal went still.

Moments later a golden spirit exited the lifeless body, reentering the portal before it closed, and left Gunhilde and the Slave King alone in the darkness. Only the sounds of his lamentation broke the silence as she silently crept back up the stairs. When she felt safe enough to run, she moved up the winding stairs as fast as her hooves allowed. Before she had gotten halfway up the stairs, she felt the earth tremble and quake as a terrifying howl of despair cut through the air leaving her scrambling to escape before she was discovered. Faster, and faster, she trotted up the winding stair, desperate to escape before the howling caught her.

She saw the exit above her, and the dim light coming from it that promised salvation and pushed herself as hard as could. The howling chased after her like a ravenous wolf, as she silently prayed she would make it to the safety of the palace. She felt the hairs on her neck rising, as she felt the hot breath of whatever terrible creature the Slave King had released on her neck. Her legs burned with exhaustion, but with safety within sight she pushed herself to go a bit faster. Knowing it was now or never, she pushed with all her might against the stone steps and leapt through the open portal.

Leaping through the air, she landed with a hard thud against the cracked stone floor of the Slave King’s ruined palace. Desperately trying to catch her breath, she felt her racing heart pounding in her chest. Looking towards the portal she escaped, she expected to see the Slave King glaring down at her in anger. But to her surprise, all she saw was the remains of a broken and cracked mural. Knowing she was lucky to still be alive, she accessed the nearest ley line and headed back towards the camp and her duty.

*****

Somewhere far away, beneath a bright golden sun and pale silvery moon, is a green tree sitting on a gentle rolling hill surrounded by golden meadows. It stretches to the heavens further than the eye can see, and from its branches grows the most exquisite golden fruit you could ever imagine. A path runs past the tree, and from time to time passersby enjoy both its fruit and shade. From beneath its green leaves, a voice as lovely as its owner can be heard. Those who stop to rest in the shade, often ask if they might share the spot with her. But her answer is always the same, “I’m sorry, I’m saving this spot for somepony very important to me.”

Author's Note:

Thank you gentlereader for reading chapter eight of The Book of Water: The Marriage of the Slave King, as always comments are appreciated. My apologies for taking so long to release this chapter, but I ran into some issues I had trouble with (namely trying to figure out to write Lady Minoa and minotaur culture in general. Also the torture scene between Bixie, Second, and Sombra. I was worried some of you might have found it uncomfortable to read.) With the first act of the story nearly complete, Chapter nine and ten should come much more quickly. I anticipate two weeks to write each of those chapters.

Finally, we see the root of the Slave King's emotional issues, and why he's decided to dabble in neighcromancy. It appears every year he has tried without success to resurrect Little Bleu and failed. We can only guess what she thinks about this whole business. Would she want him to let he go and move on, or continue with his never ending quest to restore her to life?

And as for the former Bixie turned Chrysalis, I wonder if her Torture at Sombra's hooves was the origin of her enmity of the pony races. Only time and future chapters can tell the tale.

And what exactly is Celestia's little plan for the Slave King? What ever it is, it sounds rather ominous don't you think? It all come to a head next chapter, as everything is revealed.

Once again thank you for reading gentlereader, additionally you might also be interested in a new side series I'm writing entitled Equestrian Tales Told by Tavernlight, that I've written for the World-Building Alliance monthly contests featuring stories told by The Great and Powerful Trixie as she tries to redeem herself. Unfortunately they are prejudiced against human in Equestria stories, so none of the stories will features any of the Slave King, but will have general creation myths and adventures set in the Slave King Saga universe. The next chapter will feature Sir Stouthorn and Seafoam on one of their greatest adventures.

Once again gentlereader, thank you for all your support and comments. You make writing worthwhile, until next time!

P.S. Finally featured again. Thanks to everyone who read, favorited, commented etc.

PreviousChapters Next