• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Friday Dec 23 b

“What do you mean you didn’t block us, darling?” Rarity asked, the group hug breaking up as they backed away to give Sunset space.

“Just that, I didn’t do it.” Sunset said, confusion lacing her voice until another voice startled them.

“That would have been me, I thought you deserved time with your mother.” Marigold explained, the voice getting Sunset to pull out her phone to look at it.

“You have a talking phone? How awesome is that!” Rainbow said with excitement.

“It’s because of my magic. I tend to bring electronics to life when I hang around them for too long.” Sunset explained.

“That explains a lot ah reckon.” Applejack sighed. “Ah could have sworn I heard voices around your place, but I wrote it off as just havin’ loud neighbors.”

Susan couldn’t help shake her head in disbelief as she watched the girls crowd around Sunset to look at the talking phone. None of them seemed really fazed or bothered by it, which Susan wasn’t sure how to feel about. How much must have happened here for magic to just be waved off as an everyday thing as it looked like the girls were doing at the very moment.

“Anyways, girls, this is my mom.” Sunset said, taking a step back to wrap an arm around the woman who put her own around the teen’s shoulders.

“Hi, I’m Susan Vandom.” Susan introduced herself to the excited girls before her.

“Hi, Ms. V, has anyone told you that you’re hot?” Rainbow Dash asked as she sported a cheeky grin. “Name’s Rainbow Dash, by the way. I used to be the coolest girl around.”

“Don’t hit on the girl’s mom, darling.” Rarity said as she gave a dramatic eye roll, “You can call me Rarity Belle. If you ever need any one of a kind fashions, all my creations are chique, unique, and magnifique.”

“You know I’m not that way, Rares. Sheesh, just trying to compliment the woman.” Rainbow Dash grumbled.

“Well, you needn’t do so in such a vulgar fashion, darling.” Rarity admonished.

“Hey there, names Applejack.” Applejack said, tipping her hat in greeting.

“H-Hi... I’m Fluttershy.” Fluttershy said, her voice so quiet Susan wasn’t sure she heard the girl.

“I’m Pinkie Pie! We should throw a Happy Mother Daughter Party!” Pinkie Pie shouted from behind Susan, scaring her half to death as she spun around to look at the pink girl.

“Pinkie, what have I told you about scaring customers?” Mrs. Cake asked, walking over to shake Susan’s hand as the woman calmed down from her fright. “I’m Mrs. Cake, I’m sorry about Pinkie Pie.”

“You said not to?” Pinkie Pie asked, earning giggles from the girls and a face palm from the older woman herself as if this was a common occurrence.

“Why don’t you girls talk for a few minutes while I order our food?” Susan said, sending an encouraging smile to Sunset who did look a little nervous. She sent a small nod in return to Susan and moved with the girls to take their usual table as the mother followed Mrs. Cake to the counter to place their order.

“How is the poor dear doing, really?” Mrs. Cake asked, pulling out a pad of paper to scribble the order down while flicking her eyes to Sunset.

“Do you know her well?” Susan asked, curious to hear what other people from Sunset’s life had to say about her daughter.

“Not as well as I would have liked, but I know she is a good girl who had some rough times. Especially with this whole Anon-A-Miss fiasco, that really took a toll on the poor child.” Mrs. Cake explained, “I tried to get her to talk to me about it when she came in, but she would insist everything was fine to me. I might be Pinkie Pie’s boss, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have given the poor girl a shoulder to lean on. Mind if I offer a word of advice?”

“I’ll take any helpful advice.” Susan said thankfully.

“Get the girl to see a good counselor. Things like that whole fiasco tend to leave scars on everybody. I know for a fact the girls have at least seen one once, and I’m making sure Pinkie Pie keeps going.” Mrs. Cake said.

“Don’t worry, I plan to. Sunset means the world to me and I know she needs help.” Susan said, unsure of why she felt so trusting to this woman. It felt almost as if she was talking to her own mother, even if the woman was barely that much older than Susan herself.

“I’m glad to hear that dear, so what can I get the two of you?” Mrs. Cake asked, getting ready to write the order down.


Sunset looked around the table that had become quiet all of a sudden. It just didn’t feel normal to her as this group always seemed to be pretty talkative. Even when they had problems, they still seemed to be chatty. Now it was as if they all just clammed up.

“Fine! I’ll say it!” Rainbow huffed, throwing up her hands in exasperation. “We messed up, Sunset! Really bad, and we are really, really sorry!”

“It’s ok, Dash, I forgive you. All of you.” Sunset sighed, not really wanting to get into all of that. As Applejack was about to add her two cents, Sunset held up her hand, stalling her. “Look girls, mom is taking me to the mall so I don’t have enough time and I really don’t want to spend it going over all of this again. I love your girls and I forgive you. Yes, what you did hurt me, and I can’t say we’re going to all of a sudden start having slumber parties again, or hanging out like we did. I just want to move past it, ok?”

“Can we at least chat?” Pinkie Pie begged, her eyes growing watery and larger as her bottom lip started to tremble.

“Pinkie, the puppy dog pout isn’t going to work, but yes we can chat. I’ll make sure Marigold doesn’t pull that again either so we can text.” Sunset explained, “I just have a lot going on the next couple days, so don’t worry if I don’t spend a lot of time online.”

“I’m glad.” Fluttershy said, “We all really do miss you.”

“I miss you girls too.” Sunset admitted as she gave them all a sad smile.

“Thank you so much for the game ball, how in the world did you score that thing?” Rainbow Dash asked with renewed excitement.

“It’s a funny story, actually.” Sunset said, eyes darting back and forth nervously. “The coach was looking for someone to create the new logo for the team.”

“How is that funny? Sugarcube?” Applejack asked, confused.

“How did you get involved, darling?” Rarity asked.

“I can tell you girls, but what I say does NOT leave this table. Am I understood?” Sunset said in a hushed tone, getting a nod of agreement from the girls one by one before continuing in the same quiet tone. “I met the coach through Street Fighter as we have matches from time to time. I mentioned how Rainbow Dash is their biggest fan while the coach mentioned how big a fan several of the players are of Flanksy after hearing me mention her name.”

“How do you know that Flanksy is a her?” Fluttershy asked, getting more excited than Sunset has seen her for probably months.

“Because she is Flanksy.” Pinkie Pie said so matter of factly it got everyone staring at her in disbelief. “What, you didn’t know? How can you not see the similarities in Sunset’s art and Flanksy’s?”

“There is no way… that…you are, aren’t you?” Rainbow Dash said, slowing down little by little as her eyes started widening in realization.

“How do you think Flanksy knew what Fluttershy and Angel looked like? Sure, I could have given Flanksy a picture of Fluttershy to go off of, but I didn’t have any of that deviant little rabbit.” Sunset said, giving Fluttershy a teasing smile. She liked teasing the girl about her pet rabbit as Angel somehow managed to get into everything he wasn’t supposed to and escaping any cage and lock used for him.

“This is so amazing!” Fluttershy squealed in excitement, something the girl rarely ever did. “I’m friends with the best artist in the world!”

“You ready to go, Sunset?” Susan asked, carrying a bag and drink carrier as she walked over to the table.

“Coming mom, I’ll talk to you girls later.” Sunset said as she got up.

“Wait, what about your gifts from us?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“We can stop by on the way back home if you want to bring them here.” Susan suggested.

“I can keep them in the back if you girls can’t stay.” Mrs. Cake offered, joining Sunset and giving the girl a hug. “It was great seeing you again sweetie. Take care and have a Merry Christmas!”

“Thanks Mrs. Cake, you too. I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas too.” Sunset replied with a smile.

“That would work, it would keep Sunset from having to go to everyone’s house right now since we won’t have much time.” Susan said.

“Well, let’s go grab them and bring them back!” Rainbow Dash cheered.

“I already gave her mine, darling.” Rarity said, sticking her tongue out in a teasing manner when she thought nobody was looking only to get a wink from Sunset, making the white girl blush in embarrassment at being caught.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, and Thursday Dec 22 b, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!