• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Saturday Dec 24 b

“Hey Rissy, penny for your thoughts?” Cassidy asked, hugging the dark haired woman from behind and resting her chin on he woman’s shoulder. Funny how things worked out, before she died, she was actually shorter than Nerissa, yet for some reason she was now the same height.

“Is that all they are worth, Cassidy?” Nerissa sighed, breaking her gaze away from the gem set in her staff. The group of ex-guardians were standing on a balcony overlooking the gardens of the castle on Meridian. All five were young again thanks to Nerissa’s magic, but the woman could feel it taking a toll on her body.

“I’m still sorry we didn’t believe you all those years ago.” Yan Lin sighed, sitting on the railing swinging her legs back and forth, looking depressed.

“It is all right, we talked it out and I understand why you girls believed the lies of my killing Cassidy out of jealousy.” Nerissa sighed.

“I still say we should get some payback for all those years you were locked away.” Kadma grumbled.

“Don’t forget, I spent a lot of time here on Meridian after breaking out of my prison. It was actually child’s play. I even have a son here.” Nerissa admitted getting wide eyes from the others.

“Ooooo, details!” Cassidy cried out as she hopped around Nerissa to give the dreaded puppy dog pout.

“Cassidy, we have been like sisters ever since before preschool.” Nerissa said, her eyes narrowed at the energetic water guardian.

“Yeah, so?” Cassidy asked, cocking her head to the side in confusion earning a chuckle from Nerissa.

“Name one time that look has worked on me.” Nerissa said, a smug grin growing.

“Well…there was that…no, but then there was…” Cassidy said, crossing her arms and reaching up with one hand to tap her chin in thought. “Nope, I got nothing.”

“That’s because I will never fall for that look.” Nerissa replied, shaking her head in amusement.

“Awww, come on, Rissy!” Cassidy pleaded.

“Perhaps when this is all over.” Nerissa sighed, not telling the others that she planned to sacrifice herself to take out the one person who made her life as horrible as it was. She needed the others to help present an opportunity, but she would make sure in the end they came to no harm. She would end the cycle soon, not for revenge, but for justice.

“When are you ladies heading back to Earth?” Elyon asked, walking out onto the balcony with Caleb following closely behind while glaring at Nerissa.

“Soon, your majesty.” Halinor said, bowing before the girl. “The guardians are going to be meeting at their usual training space shortly. If Sunset accepts the invitation and shows up, we will attack them.”

“I really don’t like this plan.” Yan Lin groaned, “But we do what must be done for those we love.”

“Are you ready, your majesty?” Nerissa asked as she walked over to the teenage queen.

“Not really, but like Yan Lin said, we do what must be done.” Elyon sighed.

“Your majesty, how can you trust this woman after everything she’s done?” Caleb asked incredulously.

“Because I’ve seen the same things she’s seen and I know what is at stake. I’ve blocked off unauthorized scrying and folds from outside sources so I know everyone will be safe here. And I know you will take care of our people while we do this.” Elyon said, leaning up to kiss Caleb before moving to Nerissa who absorbed the girl back into the gem set in her staff.

“Let’s go girls.” Nerissa said, opening a fold for the group, minus Caleb, to enter and go to Earth.


After a quick breakfast, Susan had to hurry off to take care of something, the woman seeming a little worried leaving Sunset to wait for Twilight and Martin. They said that they would be over later in the afternoon and the wait was driving her insane. It was this reason Sunset was walking toward the bridge where Hay Lin had called and begged her to come hang out and practice their powers a little so they could see what each other can do in their new forms. She almost declined, but deciding it would make time go quicker, Sunset left to meet up with them.

“Sunny, you made it!” Hay Lin cried out, tackling Sunset as soon as she was in view.

“Hey there, Hay Lin.” Sunset greeted the energetic girl, the other coming up from behind her to join them.

“I’m glad you came, Sunset.” Cornelia said, giving an almost shy wave, which was a little out of character for the girl. Then again, so was what happened at the mall.

“All of us are, Cornelia. We really need to start working together more if we are to stop Nerissa, or whoever the big bad is.” Taranee said, pushing her glasses back up her nose from where they were sliding down.

“I’m just not too sure who to call a fire starter anymore.” Irma giggled, also acting a little nervous.

“Don’t act nervous, Irma.” A new voice chuckled, getting the girls to look up to see Nerissa appear out of a teletransport surrounded by four other women.

“Wow, what face cream are you using? I want to avoid it, it’s actually making you uglier each time we see you.” Irma joked, recognizing the staff which held Elyon imprisoned inside.

“Why thank you dear, but I thought it best I introduce you to my team of guardians.” Nerissa chuckled, holding up her staff causing them to change into guardian outfits similar to the others including fairy wings.

“Why are you doing this?” Sunset asked, shock lacing her voice as the aggressive stances the others were making toward Sunset and the girls could only mean one thing. They wanted a fight.

“Why don’t you change and find out, child? Because it is time for the kid gloves to come off.” Nerissa said, “And don’t forget to channel extra energy into the Heart like you did the other day, you girls are going to need the boost.”

“Guardians UNITE!” Sunset growled, thrusting the Heart out and transforming them into their new outfits and boosted powers. Before Sunset could say or do anything a powerful gust of wind blasted the others away from her with Nerissa’s group giving chase to them.

“I guess it is just you and me now, child.” Nerissa said with a wicked smile. “Hope you are ready to learn your lesson.”


Over with Yan Lin and Hay Lin, they were flying in air with their eyes locked on each other as they flew around in circles ready to fend off any attacks from the other. Hay Lin finally asked in a shaky voice, “Are you really my grandmother?”

“I am, my little Hay Lin.” Yan Lin said with a sad expression.

“Then who is that at the restaurant?” Hay Lin sobbed.

“She is my altermere. She is kind of an advanced astral drop, only this one has all of my memories making her a copy of me. She is as much a living, breathing Yan Lin as I am.” Yan Lin explained.

“Why grandmother?” Hay Lin cried.

“Because it has to be done, this has to be done. Be strong my little Hay Lin and all will be revealed soon enough.” Yan Lin said. “Tell me granddaughter, you know how to turn invisible to be stealthy as well as listen to voices over the wind for recon. You know how to control wind to bluntly protect yourself and to act as a blunt weapon. But did you know wind can also be used to create a cutting blade so fine that it can slice through nearly anything with much greater precision than any physical blade?”

“What are you talking about, grandmother?” Hay Lin asked, forced to dodge at the last second as a blade of air shot through the space she was just in cutting off a single strand of hair. “That could have hit me!”

“As can this.” Yan Lin said, throwing two more blades of air towards Hay Lin who barely dodged once again, small cuts left in her clothes. Not enough to reveal anything, but enough to get Yan Lin’s point across.

“It’s so simple to do, just have to compress the air to a super fine point and wham!” Yan Lin smiled, making Hay Lin blink in confusion.


With Cornelia, she was hard pressed dodging a rock golem’s fist swinging at her as the thing once again barely missed. “Are you freaking nuts?”

“It isn’t really that hard to make a golem child, but I do admit it is a little harder to maintain in the middle of a battlefield.” Kadma said, hovering as a glow surrounded her. “All it takes is a bit of focus and you can easily conjure rock and earth to create a warrior to fight in your place.”

“Like this?” Cornelia asked, grinning as she slammed her hand down on the ground and pulled it back up as a misshapen form of something slightly resembling a humanoid rose up.

“Not very elegant looking child, but passable for your first try.” Kadma said, sending her golem to strike at Cornelia’s who managed to block the strike by some miracle. It didn’t survive striking out on its own as it brought its rock shaped fist down on Kadma’s and ended up shattering in the process while the darker woman’s remained not only intact, but looking as if it didn’t even take any damage.

“Well, that sucked.” Cornelia groaned, panting from the effort it took just to manage that.

“You better hope you have more than that in you girl, or you are going to end up as a splat on the sidewalk!” Kadma snapped, her golem charging at Cornelia.


With Irma and Cassidy, the two were circling each other much like Yan Lin and Hay Lin. Unlike the other two, they were smirking at each other as they waited for either one to make a move. “Your control over water and your abilities are excellent, Irma.” Cassidy smiled, “Yet I have to wonder if you know that you can heal with your water?”

“What now?” Irma asked, her eyes going wide as her stance loosened up.

“Just as I said.” Cassidy said, pulling a knife out and holding it as if ready to attack.

“Hey, no bringing a knife to a water fight.” Irma chuckled nervously.

“Watch closely.” Cassidy said as she drew the blade across the back of her free hand before holding it up to show the cut to Irma who blanched at the action. “You have to make sure you make your intent is perfectly clear, to concentrate on what you want your water to do.”

“Are you insane?!” Irma cried out in a mixture of shock and worry. Her worry changed to awe as Cassidy created a ball of water and encased her cut hand in it, the cut slowly fading away to nothing, not even a scar as it healed before her eyes.

“Now let’s see if you think you can handle that!” Cassidy said as she lashed out at the still in awe Irma managing to make a small cut on her arm.

“What did you do that for?” Irma cried out, only to get an arched eyebrow in response. With a heavy sigh, Irma followed the other woman’s directions encasing her wound in a ball of water. At first nothing was happening as Irma concentrated as hard as she could, just as she was about to give up she felt a tingling gaining her attention. Her wound was healing up, getting her to let out a whoop of joy.

“Good girl!” Cassidy said with a grin, getting ready to slash again only for Irma to dodge. “Practice makes perfect.”


Taranee was looking at Halinor as if the woman was insane, she had to be as she bathed her own body in fire like a bird and flew toward the younger girl. “Great, I have to deal with the firebird.”

“I personally prefer to be called a phoenix myself, child. In case you didn’t notice, you can’t really be harmed by your own fire unless you let it. Of course you are going to get burned if you’re afraid of it. If you expect it to happen you are telling your magic and body to react in that way. If you trust your own fire you can not only bathe yourself in it, you can make it act as both a weapon and armor against your foes.” Halinor lectured.

“Wait, why are you telling me this?” Taranee asked suspiciously.

“Do not voice your suspicions out loud, child. Anything can have ears.” Halinor chided.


Back with Sunset and Nerissa, the older woman just leaned on her staff waiting for the girl to make a move. “If you wanted to hurt us, you could have ambushed us instead of announcing yourself.”

“Perhaps, but where would the fun be in that?” Nerissa yawned, “You know, I have a feeling you could even teach me a few things.”

“So?” Sunset asked defiantly, her red bangs getting in her eyes making her brush them out giving Nerissa the opening she needed to get close on the teen and take one of her hands.

“Maybe you should keep your wits about you in battle.” Nerissa chuckled, letting her hand drop while smiling at seeing the girl’s nearly unnoticeable nod of confirmation while tightening her hand.

“Maybe you should follow your own advice.” Sunset said, energy crackling around her other hand. “Tell me something, why did you send Shagon to protect me?”

“Because I saw a potential ally in you after our first encounter opened my eyes to Harmony.” Nerissa said, “An ally I wasn’t sure could protect themselves.”

“Shagon feeds off of hate though. That sounds like something a villain would do.” Sunset accused the woman.

“I might be a villain, but I know when a line is crossed. Matt and Shagon are of the same body, but different minds. Shagon’s is just a magical construct with basic programming to feed off hate and follow my commands.” Nerissa said, an apologetic look crossing her features.

“So whatever Shagon says is…” Sunset started, only for Nerissa to finish. “Is separate from Matt’s true thoughts and feelings.”

“Why not free him then?” Sunset asked.

“My dear, all the princess has to do is kiss the frog to change him back.” Nerissa chuckled, earning a blush from Sunset. “Now I think it is time we danced a little. See just how good you are at dodging.”


“It has been fun guardians, but we have bigger things to deal with.” Nerissa chuckled, the group teletransporting away leaving Sunset and the other girls regrouping. As they changed back it left them not looking as dirtied and beat up as they looked while transformed, but the exhaustion and bruises still remained.

“What was that about?” Cornelia groaned, collapsing on the ground. She almost shrieked when a dog ran up and started licking her and barking.

“Spike?” Sunset asked, a familiar girl running over to them calling her dog as well.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b and Friday Dec 23 c, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals to the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.