• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Saturday Dec 24 j

“Are you sure you girls are okay? I can call Vel and cancel.” Susan offered the two girls who shook their heads.

“I’m fine, mom. I’m actually looking forward to meeting Mr. Light and hanging out with Twilight more often.” Sunset said, “Though I thought they were coming over here?”

“That was originally the plan, but since I have you back, Vel wanted to have us over for Christmas Eve dinner to celebrate all of us being together. I told her we will have another guest joining us as well.” Susan explained, “It would be nice to introduce you to everyone, but I don’t want to overwhelm either of you girls.”

“It’s fine, it would be nice to be a part of a large family gathering, Ms. Vandom.” Cornelia said, actually feeling like it would be good to get her mind off of everything.

“Please, call me Susan dear.” Susan said, giving the girl a smile while joking, “Unless you want to call me mom.”

“You wouldn’t mind?” Cornelia asked timidly.

“Of course not, dear. I’m adopting you, but I don’t want to replace…” Susan said, tapering off as she realized what she was saying.

“You don’t want to replace my mom?” Cornelia laughed, “Please do replace her, I’d do anything for a mother even half as nice as you.”

“Oh sweetie.” Susan sighed, hugging the blonde again. “Maybe we should just cancel, we can just spend a peaceful night here. Just the three of us.”

“I want to go mom.” Cornelia said, actually enjoying the feeling of calling someone mom who actually showed they cared.

“I need to see Twi about something anyways.” Sunset said.

“Then let’s go or we are going to be late. Go get ready girls.” Susan shooed the two girls off, making sure they were gone before pulling out her phone and sending a text to an acquaintance of hers that was trustworthy enough to run a few errands though they weren’t exactly best friends. She needed to get a few things done and thanks to Vel calling and convincing her to bring Sunset and Cornelia over for dinner, she ended up not having a lot of time to play with.

“Are you doing what I think you're doing?” Sunset asked, looking over her shoulder startling Susan.

“You know I am after reading that.” Susan giggled, holding a hand to her chest as she took a few deep breaths. “You scared the heck out of me!”

“Then can you add a few things to it for me?” Sunset asked, getting a proud look from Susan.

“Of course honey.” Susan replied, adding Sunset’s order to the list quickly. “You better hurry and get ready.”


The Twilight household was pretty nice from what Sunset could tell. It wasn’t located closer to the city like the Silver Dragon, but closer to Canterlot while still remaining in the city limits. It made Sunset wonder how the girl made it to Martin’s place with Spike, unless of course she had a car of her own.

“I’m glad you could make it.” Velvet said excitedly, giving them all a huge smile while taking their coats. “Twily is straight up the stairs in her room, you can’t miss it if you two want to go up and talk to her. Her door is the one with a huge star painted on it.”

“Thanks Auntie Velvet.” Sunset said, accepting a hug from the woman while feeling a little excited that the woman saw her as family.

“Thank you for inviting me too.” Cornelia said a little nervously.

“Of course I was going to invite you! You’re becoming a part of our family. You can call me Auntie Velvet like Sunset here.” Velvet said, also giving the blonde a hug also. “And don’t worry, it won’t take long to ensure your place with us thanks to my husband.”

“What do you mean?” Cornelia asked as she stepped back.

“Night takes care of all my legal business, so he’ll be handling my getting custody of you.” Susan said.

“Wow, you aren’t wasting time!” Cornelia exclaimed, a little shocked.

“Never waste time, it’s too precious.” Susan agreed, shooing the girls. “Why don’t you girls go ahead and see Twily.”

“Ok, mom. We’ll leave you old folk to gossip about old folk stuff.” Sunset teased.

“What’s that, dearie, I can’t hear you?” Susan asked in an exaggerated voice while holding a hand to her ear making everyone laugh.

Sunset led the way up the steps as they were in plain sight, though she could tell Cornelia was a little nervous. “I’m not so sure I should be here after the horrible things I’ve said.”

“You belong here, you heard what Auntie Velvet said. You are family, and family doesn’t get left behind.” Sunset said.

“That’s the thing though, we aren’t family... Not really.” Cornelia sighed.

“You are. Mom is going to get custody of you and even if it wasn’t for that piece of paper, blood doesn’t make family. Love does.” Sunset said, a part of her wondering when she became so sappy. Then again, she never had a reason to be sappy as she was a lot more angry at the world before, which has changed a lot now that she not only had a family, but a loving family.

“Very well said!” A familiar voice said, clapping their hands a few times making Sunset grit her teeth in anger. She knew she shouldn’t be angry, she really did, but this was something her heart and mind was having trouble reconciling.

“Hello Cadence.” Sunset said stiffly, doing her best to not show any outward signs of anger or hatred to this person. She knew this wasn’t her Cadence, and she knew neither Cadence had ever purposely done anything to hurt her. But still, this was something she was having trouble reconciling.

“Hi, you must be Auntie Susan’s daughters.” Cadence said, giving the two a smile that fell when landing on Sunset. “Are you okay, dear?”

“As if you care.” Sunset snorted before she could catch herself, her eye’s widening as she saw the woman flinching as if she had been struck. “I’m so sorry!”

“Are you okay, Sunset?” Cornelia asked with the same worry Cadence was showing.

“I’m… I’m fine.” Sunset sighed.

“Can I talk to you in private, please?” Cadence asked, putting a hand on Sunset’s shoulder who visibly winces at the physical contact.

“I’m not sure that is a good idea.” Cornelia said, noticing the tension in Sunset.

“I’ll be okay, go ahead and let Twily know we’re here.” Sunset said, trying to keep herself from glaring at Cadence.

“If you're sure.” Cornelia sighed, moving to the door while nervously watching the other two as they entered another room a little down the hall.

“What’s going on?” Twilight asked as she came out of her room.

“I don’t know. Something about that Cadance woman... She took Sunset to talk.” Cornelia said, “Sunset looked really upset with her though.”

“Hold on.” Twilight said as she ducked in her room and came back out with two pairs of headphones and a little box in her hands. Handing a pair to Cornelia, Twilight led the blonde down to the room Cadence had taken Sunset and silently pointed to it. Cornelia nodded, confused as to what was going on as Twilight took her own headphones and plugged them into the small box, followed by the girl doing the same with the blonde’s headphones. Following the example, Cornelia made her own set comfortable and squawked in surprise when she could clearly hear the discussion going on in the other room.

“This is wrong!” Cornelia gasped out.

“We can stop if you want, but I’m worried about Sunset.” Twilight said and Cornelia didn’t make a move to take her own headphones off.

“Hello girls.” Cadence said, grinning a little as she yanked the door open fast.

“Um... I think I hear mom calling?” Twilight poorly lied, giving a sheepish smile to her sister-in-law.

“It’s ok, they know and I don’t want to hide anything from them.” Sunset sighed from her spot on the edge of the bed. “On the other hand, really? You two were spying on us?”

“I’m really sorry, I was just so worried.” Cornelia sighed.

“I’m not angry, though I am a little disappointed.” Sunset said.

“I promise not to do it again.” Cornelia whimpered.

“You better not.” Sunset said as she got up and moved over to hug Cornelia. “I’m really disappointed, Cornelia. You’re a magical girl, you should know how to scry at the least.”

“Wait, what?” Cornelia gasped, earning a few giggles from Sunset.

“It’s really okay, I know you two were worried, but just ask me. You don’t have to spy on me to find out anything. I’ll happily share with both of you.” Sunset said, “Just promise never to pull that again, especially if it is something private.”

“Can you teach me to scry too?” Twilight asked, earning a groan and face palm from Cadence.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b, and Friday Dec 23 c, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals to the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.