• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,818 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,818

Thursday Dec 22 d

The knock on the door made everyone jump and separate as the reality of the situation began to set in. Will had been under those noses ever since Irma and Cornelia encountered her almost a week ago. They had so many questions ranging from why she was seemingly involved with Shagon, and by proxy Nerissa, to just how she managed to not only survive a fireball, but completely eradicate Tridart single handedly.

“Well girls, pizza is served. Make a mess though and Nerissa will be the least of your worries.” Susan said, giving them a stern glare before breaking into a fit of giggles at the shocked faces surrounding her. “I’m kidding girls, I’m going to grab some glasses with ice for the soda. Go ahead and dig in.”

“I’m glad to see Ms. V so happy.” Hay Lin said, taking a seat on one side of Sunset while Cornelia refused to give up the spot on the opposite side as the two sandwiched the fiery haired teen between them.

“I’m glad to know you are okay, even if you aren’t the Will we remember.” Cornelia said softly, “I said some horrible things to you, I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be, I can understand where you were coming from. I forgive you, but you will have to prove that you deserve my respect and trust.” Sunset said, a sad smile on her face as she looked around. “The same goes for all of you. I don’t want a friendship built because of magical threats to us, I want one built on mutual trust, respect and love. I’ll do my best to earn yours and if you want to try and be friends I would like that.”

“We would too, Will.” Irma said, her eyes growing wide as she realized what she said. “I’m so sorry!”

“Don’t be, I know this is a lot to take in. Just please, call me by my name. I’m Sunset Shimmer.” Sunset said, pride could be heard in her voice. She then turned to fix a firm, yet kind look on Taranee. “I know you are telepathic, so please understand I’m not saying this to be mean, or anything. Just please stay out of my head, no trying to unlock Will’s memories or anything like that. It isn’t fair to me, I’m my own person and have lived my own life. I feel sorry for Will. I’ve even come to accept she is a part of me, but I deserve to be treated as me.”

“I understand, and I won’t. I was thinking about asking, but it is your choice.” Taranee said, Susan finally returning with a tray filled with glasses of ice that she sat down on the coffee table with a stack of paper plates.

“I miss Will girls, I always will, but Sunset is right. She is a different person, and as much my daughter as Will.” Susan explained, pouring soda from the two liters the delivery person brought with the food to pass out.

“We all will.” Hay Lin sniffed.

“Let’s change the subject for a minute.” Irma said, feeling a little heart broken at the news. She tried to change to subject to something she knew the others wanted to know just as much as her. “How did you manage to survive that fireball and throw that much power around as if it was nothing”

“Back in Equestria that was nothing.” Sunset said, taking a bite of pizza as everyone looked at her in shock. Even Susan was a little surprised at the news. “Pyromancy was my chosen field of magic, though I excelled at all types of magic I attempted. I was the unofficial top student at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.”

“So any unicorn could absorb fire like that?” Taranee asked. She couldn’t help feeling a little intimidated at the thought. Her control over fire was pretty good, but the heat from Sunset’s flames made Taranee’s own look like an air conditioner.

“No, as far as we know only two ponies were capable of that.” Sunset explained, pausing as Irma interrupted her.

“Wait, I thought you were a unicorn, not a pony.” Irma said.

“There are three main types of ponies, unicorns being one of them, the other two are pegasi and earth ponies. Now as I was saying, only two ponies were capable of that. The Princess herself and me.” Sunset said, biting her lip as she glanced at Susan. She was unsure of what to say about this as Sunset loved Susan, she was her mother and has done more for her as a mother than Celestia ever did, or at least in Sunset’s opinion.

“I know how you feel honey, I won’t feel hurt if you call her mother.” Susan sighed, kneeling on the floor near Sunset and squeezed her knee reassuringly.

“You are my mother mom, you always will be. She was just a DNA donor.” Sunset said, smiling at Susan.

“Wait, how was a pony princess a DNA donor?” Hay Lin asked, confusion on her face a few moments before her eyes widened. “You have two mothers!”

“I have a mother and a DNA donor. The magic that granted Will’s wish copied parts of Princess Celestia’s DNA to stabilize my new body making me biologically related to her.” Sunset explained, “Now that I know that, I know why I had such a strong aptitude in pyromancy as well as being immune to fire. I have a connection to the Sun just as she does.”

“What about your dad, Sunset?” Cornelia asked as she was fidgeting at the mention of a father. Then again, Sunset could understand that, from what she had seen in the diary, the blonde’s only real loving parental figure was of a father.

“Tony isn’t in the picture, as far as he knows Will is dead and he has nothing to do with Sunset. He would only try to use her if he knew anything about her.” Susan said, anger flashing through her eyes.

“You are the only parent I need, mom.” Sunset smiled, getting a thankful smile back from her mother in return.

After reaching for another slice of pizza, Hay Lin accidentally hit the remote next to her on the couch turning the TV on with the news coming up. “The HPD has issued a statement about the bombing at the Sheffield Mall just a couple hours ago. They believe it was just a couple teens playing a prank, but they want everyone to be careful and extra vigilant as they shop. Thankfully the damage wasn’t too bad, five cars destroyed and a few damaged. There were no injuries, which I’m sure everyone can agree is the most important thing. Anyone who had a vehicle parked is welcome to come pick it up from the effected lot once they finish investigating the crime scene and clearing up the dangerous remnants caused by the explosions.”

“Well, that’s a thing.” Irma chirped, Hay Lin blushing in embarrassment at scaring everyone with the sudden news announcement.

“No wonder our parents told us to stay put until they pick us up.” Taranee sighed, pushing the glasses back up her nose.

“At least they are writing it off as a prank gone wrong.” Hay Lin sighed.

“They aren’t, trust me. That’s just a public statement to keep the public from panicking.” Irma groaned, she knew how her father and he police force worked. Hard not to when her father was the chief of police. “We need to stop Nerissa once and for all.”

“That wasn’t Nerissa.” Sunset sighed.

“Excuse me?” Cornelia said, her expression growing sharp.

“That wasn’t Nerissa. I might not know all that you have been through with her, but the Nerissa I met didn’t really seem evil. Plus, she knows I have the Heart, so why send those things searching for it when she could just come directly to me?” Sunset explained.

“How does she know?” Taranee asked.

“I met her just before meeting mom. I thought she was a homeless woman and bought her a meal. She asked if she could see my necklace and I let her, though she looked really shaken after.” Sunset explained, “Since then that jerk Shagon has been protecting me from harm.”

“Well, where was he today?” Cornelia asked as she crossed her arms with a frown.

“I’m guessing that purple dome kept him from interfering.” Sunset said, “Though that whole thing bothered me. There was something wrong, very wrong with that whole setup.”

“Yeah, they were trying to kill your mom.” Cornelia huffed.

“Why though? If they didn’t know where the Heart was, why kill someone who they obviously knew had connections to the Keeper? Why not just follow them back to the Keeper and get the Heart that way?” Sunset explained, “And again, Nerissa knows I have it and knows who I am apparently. She couldn’t have been behind this attack.”

“I guess she did pretty much keep her attacks to isolated areas.” Taranee said, hesitating a little. “If she really isn’t evil, then maybe she was keeping innocents from harm.”

“That actually sounds…scarily plausible.” Cornelia slowly said, “That doesn’t mean I’m inviting her to any tea parties anytime soon.”

“Gran says Nerissa used to be the kindest woman you would ever meet. What could have happened to change that?” Hay Lin asked.

“It’s going to have to wait, mom is here to pick up me, Taranee, and Hay Lin. She’s outside talking to your mom, Corny.” Irma said, showing her phone with the text message, making the blonde sigh heavily at the news.

“Great, going from dealing with one witch to another.” Cornelia grumbled, slowly getting up as the others looked at her in worry.


“They’re back!” Luba gasped, the woman with cat like features gasped in relief.

“That’s good, what do you think happened to them?” Tibor asked, stroking his beard in contemplation. “And have you located the Keeper yet? Himmerish is extremely worried about her.”

“Worried about the Heart you mean, as he should be. These little brats running around playing hero with no training.” Luba growled, “They should be stripped of their powers so they can be given to more competent wielders.”

“Those little brats actually managed to defeat Phobos.” Tibor reminded his friend.

“No, the Keeper did by doing something insanely wreckless and infinitely stupid.” Luba growled, “She could have killed herself doing what she did, the insolent whelp.”

“I’ll inform Himmerish that the guardians have returned from where ever they went.” Tibor said, turning to leave and inform the Oracle of what was going on.


Susan had to admit it felt a little nostalgic having all the girls there, even if it hurt a little knowing Will would never be with them again. She was very happy Sunset was safe after what happened today and was giving the girls a chance. Hopefully things would get better, and with the teen finally calling Susan mom, it looked like they would. Susan could tell a huge weight had been lifted from Sunset, and the mother felt a weight of her own lessening considerably.

“Mom!” Sunset cried, the teen launching herself at the older woman and hugged her while sobbing. “I thought I was going to lose you!”

“Shhh, we both are ok honey. I’m not about to leave you either. I love you too much to leave you.” Susan cooed, holding her daughter tight. She intended to keep her word to her daughter, but after what happened today, she was afraid she might not have any choice in the matter if something like that happened again. All she could do now was hold and comfort her distraught daughter, proud of the teen for holding it together long enough to deal with the girls. She was also worried that Sunset had kept it together that long, hoping that the teen wasn’t trying to push others needs above her own too much. It was nice to worry about others, but after something like what happened earlier, nobody would have blamed her for breaking down.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, and Thursday Dec 22 b, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!