• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,832 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,832

Tuesday Dec 20 a

The day had actually flew by with Sunset able to avoid most people bothering her too much. Sure she exchanged pleasantries and wished others a Merry Christmas in return for their own as she wasn’t trying to be a jerk about it. Still, despite the halfway decent day, her nerves were almost on end because of her meeting with the woman claiming to be her mother. It was either going to be shortly or tomorrow and she had a feeling that if there were any sincerity to the woman’s words then she would probably show up as soon as possible eager to reunite with Sunset. Then again, if she was seeking Sunset out for other reasons that had any type of urgency she would probably do the same.

While Sunset originally had zero confidence in the claims there were several things since they were made that caused Sunset to actually start to wonder. First there was the transformation that changed her to look like a three year older version of the woman’s daughter. Then there was the day she spent in Heatherfield which was where the woman was from where Sunset’s body and mind seemed to go on autopilot when she was exhausted to the point of collapse. So many things were familiar to Sunset’s subconciousness that worried her a bit.

If the woman’s claims were true though where did that leave her years in Equestria? Was her life as Sunset Shimmer a lie? Would the woman pressure her to be somebody she wasn’t by trying to force her to be this woman’s daughter and not the unicorn she remembered growing up as? It was a lot to worry about because on the one hand a part of her desperately wanted the woman to be on the up and up and be her mother. On the other hand, if she was her life would be turned upside down if not outright destroyed.

A moment of cowardice stopped her for one moment as she stopped. She didn’t have to deal with any of this if she decided to avoid being at her apartment for the rest of today and tomorrow. Would the woman try to track her down again? Shaking her head and ridding herself of the thoughts Sunset steeled herself and decided that she was Sunset Shimmer and not a coward, she would face this head-on and hope for the best.

Arriving at her apartment she noticed the limo that was there before though instead of bribing her way in this time, Susan was pacing back and forth holding what looked like a manilla folder. When she caught sight of Sunset the woman noticeably brightened up and hurried over to the girl though it was clear she had to fight herself to keep from giving a hug.

“Hi Ms. Vandom, I guess you got the test results back?” Sunset asked with a sigh earning a curious look from the woman.

“Are you okay dear?” Susan asked as she pulled her arm back from reaching out to give a soothing caress of her cheek. “And please at least call me Susan.”

“I’ve been better, let’s go inside.” Sunset said as she opened the door and let Susan in before closing it behind herself as she followed.

“Would you like to talk about it?” Susan asked as she studied Sunset.

“Please have a seat.” Sunset said as she motioned to chair and couch where Susan sat down on the couch while Sunset moved to the chair earning a disappointed look from Susan.

“If you want to talk about what’s bothering you we can wait until later to talk about what I wanted.” Susan said, worry etching her features.

“I’m fine, I’m just having trouble wrapping my head around everything while trying to figure out all of the other drama that is insisting on making my life miserable.” Sunset explained as she leaned back in the chair a little.

“I have an idea.” Susan said slowly as if trying to think of how to say what she wanted to. “I got the results back from the DNA test and it says you are my daughter.”

“Are you serious?” Sunset asked as she felt tears forming as it felt like the world was spinning way too fast around her.

“Sunset!” Susan gasped as she slid to the floor and caught Sunset before she collapsed forward from where she started to get up. “Sweetie, ca you hear me?”

“Y-Yeah, sorry.” Sunset said slowly as she got herself under control.

“What happened?” Susan asked from her position kneeling on the floor as Sunset pulled back though the woman kept a hold of her hands looking up into the girl’s eyes. “I’m sorry, I should have thought more about how this might affect you. I already screwed up again!”

“No, you didn’t, you were looking for your daughter.” Sunset slowly said unable to blame the woman for any of this.

“You are my daughter honey, the tests prove it.” Susan said motioned to the discarded folder behind her on the couch.

“What do you want from me then? Let’s say I help your daughter’s friends, what do you expect from me after?” Sunset croaked out.

“Yes I want you to help her friends if you can, but I don’t want to send you into danger to do it. It’s why I was hoping you could just make that giant alicorn again and be done with that.” Susan explained, “Besides that I want you home, I want my daughter back with me.”

“This is my home.” Sunset sniffed as she pushed herself up and shook Susan’s hands off as the girl spun around extending her arms out indicating the small apartment. “It isn’t much, but I worked hard for it.”

Susan just stayed there looking up at the girl as her own tears began. She had finally found her daughter and it was looking like she might not want anything to do with her. She had built a life for herself here and didn’t want to seem to leave it. Did she have any right to ask her to in the end?

“Spend the holidays with me.” Susan said getting a shocked look from Sunset. “Just hear me out, please. Come home with me for the holidays and we can get to know each other. If after that you can’t stand being around me I’ll pay for your apartment and everything you need here.”

“I can’t ask you to do that.” Sunset gasped out in shock.

“You aren’t asking me, you are my daughter and I’m doing it.” Susan said getting up. “If I can’t have you at home I will at least make sure you are happy and safe here with everything you need.”

“Why would you do that, I’m a stranger.” Sunset asked shaking a little as she couldn’t fight the freely streaming tears off.

“You re my daughter, my flesh and blood, and family is the most important thing to me. You are the most important thing to me.” Susan cried as she pulled Sunset into a tight hug with the girl struggling a few moments before she broke down and buried herself in the hug and cried.

“And when your daughter shows up I’ll be out on the curb.” Sunset sobbed out.

“Sunset, if by some miracle Will shows up I won’t be getting rid of you.” Susan sniffled, “As hard as it is to accept, she’s gone. What I see before me is my long lost daughter that is hurting and confused.”

“What do you mean?” Sunset asked as she pulled slightly back before letting herself be led over to the couch where they sat side by side with Sunset now leaning into Susan who was gently stroking her hair.

“My friend Yan Lin’s family owns the Silver Dragon, she was who you were talking to that night you passed out. I almost came running to find you then, but she said your friend’s mom was taking care of you and I didn’t know where to go. Anyways, when she touched the Heart of Kandrakar the spirits showed her a vision of what happened that night when Will made that wish.” Susan explained.

“What happened?” Sunset asked, a little scared to know the truth even if a part of her was still trying to deny it.

“The spirits of Kandrakar asked the spirits of harmony for permission to bring Will to Equestria where they changed her. They intended to keep her memories somewhat I guess, that part is a little unclear, but the ambient magic in that world was a lot more powerful than planned. As it was changing her body to fit in there it caused some kind of magic surge.” Susan explained slowly as she tried to figure out how to word everything. “I’m not very well versed in magic, this is what Yan Lin explained to me since then and what we figured out when we had dinner together.”

“Usually a magic surge is something very young unicorns experience when their powers outmatch their control and a spell gets away from them. They can be dangerous depending how powerful the unicorn is.” Sunset explained as she started to calm down more though stayed where she was surprisingly enjoying the closeness.

“Well, what the spirits told Yan Lin and what they showed her showed the magic copying parts of another pony to complete or stabilize the transformation. I’m really not sure about the specifics but technically that pony and I are both your mothers. The spirits said that other than a small memory here and there, you won’t ever get all of Will’s memories. You are a new person, your own person, but you are still my daughter.” Susan said giving the girl a squeeze.

“Okay, let’s say I am your daughter, what do you want from me?” Sunset asked, thoughts running wild in her head. Did this mean her life as a pony wasn’t a lie if this was true or was it a lie? Another train of thought tried to interrupt her current ones making her quickly smash it down or else she would probably grow angry. After all if she did have a pony who was also her mother then there was likely only one pony that it could be as the others ran away when the magical surge took place as ponies tended to do.

“I’ll settle for at least a relationship, but what I really want is you in my life and your love. You are my daughter and I love you Sunset Shimmer.” Susan said with teary eyes, tracks already present as she had let more than a few escape so far.

“I don’t know if I can come right now. I need to find a new job since I lost my old one or I’ll lose my place here. It isn’t much, but I worked hard for it.” Sunset sighed.

“Sunny, I’m paying for your apartment. I’d much rather find you a bigger one, but I’ll pay for this one for six months so you know you have a place to return to if things don’t work out.” Susan said, “And if you return here I’ll make sure you have a good job as Simultech does have two different stores here. One in the mall selling phones and another across town that sells computer parts and stuff.”

“I can’t ask you to do that, I got myself in this mess so it is my responsibility to get myself mmph.” Sunset said shaking her head before she was silenced by Sunset put a finger to her lips.

“You aren’t asking me Sunset, I’m doing it. You are my daughter Sunset, there is no debating that. If you must, think of this as an early Christmas present.” Susan said as Sunset pulled all the way away and started pacing around the apartment while Susan watched her over the back of the sofa as the girl looked around at the place.

For Sunset’s part she was wondering what she should do. In all honesty she could probably be packed up in an hour, two at most as she didn’t have a whole lot. She had some art and school supplies, a game system that was two generations old and some games that she used to stream, maybe at most a half dozen outfits, an old guitar and amp and a few knick knacks like photos, paintings, her alarm clock and some ratty furniture. And of course there was the journal, her link to Princess Twilight and Equestria.

“If I give this a chance do you promise not to hurt me?” Sunset asked, “I really don’t think I can take anymore being tossed away.”

“Oh sweety,” Susan started as she got up and went around the couch to gather the vulnerable girl in her arms. “I wish I could promise never to hurt you, I really do, but it is bound to happen. People argue honey, it’s a fact of life but I will never hurt you intentionally. What I can promise you is I will never throw you away. You are my precious little girl no matter how old you are, you are my precious sunshine.”

“I guess there’s only one thing I can do.” Sunset sighed once again pulling out of the woman’s embrace as she wiped at her eyes.

“What’s that honey?” Susan asked.

“Go down to the store and see if they have any empty boxes.” Sunset said with a small smile which got a squeal from the older woman who once again hugged Sunset tight. The teen wondered if this hugging thing was going to be a common occurrence though as she melted into the hug she realized she wouldn’t mind if it was.