• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,818 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,818

Saturday Dec 17 b

Apparently the most important thing was to set up the shelter animals in their own display as it didn’t actually take too long to do it with both Fluttershy and Sunset working together to get it done. Even with how dead tired Sunset was, she still managed to handle her share of the work before they had some pizza and helped set up a few Christmas displays and post sale prices on many of the animals. Apparently Mr. Olsen was also a vet though he didn’t have a full veterinary office. Instead he had a small examination room off to the side that he did simple things for as well as take care of all animals that came through his shop, both before being sold and after. Sunset thought it was actually pretty nice though while Fluttershy idolized the old man for it.

Sunset was thankful that beyond the initial teasing Fluttershy didn’t bring the boy up anymore though she couldn’t understand her own reaction to him. She also didn’t really understand how familiar the pet shop seemed and how every time she let her body go on auto she would seem to know where everything was and how Mr. Olsen liked them done. She couldn’t really say which part was freaking her out more, and despite how her phone’s advice to start with one problem at a time sounded good at the time she was now wondering if perhaps she needed a new one. Or better yet, go without one.

The actual good thing about being there was as they kept busy the two actually had a little fun as the pushed the past week or so to the back of their minds. Sunset had no problems admitting that this was something she dearly missed. She had missed the lack of actual good social interaction with someone she cared about. The question she was having trouble answering to herself when she let herself think on it was just how much she cared for the girls or Fluttershy.

“Thank you for all of your help today girls. You both helped get everything done so much faster that I would have alone.” Mr. Olsen said as he came up to where Fluttershy and Sunset had finished arranging the display near the register with Christmas toys and treats for pets.

“It wasn’t any problem, Mr. Olsen. I’m always eager to help.” Fluttershy said with a beaming smile while Sunset nodded in agreement while fighting off a yawn.

“Well this old body appreciates it.” Mr. Olsen said as he handed both of them a red envelope with green foil wreathes printed on it.

“Mr. Olsen, I appreciate it but you know I was just doing this to help out.” Fluttershy gasped at seeing a hundred dollar bill stuffed in it. Opening her own Sunset discovered the same.

“Nonsense, you girls deserve this. And I don’t want to hear any protest.” Mr. Olsen said as he crossed his arms interrupting Sunset before she could manage to voice her own. “Sine we are done and I know it will be a few hours before your mother picks you up, why don’t you girls do some shopping at the mall.”

“Thank you.” Sunset said, not arguing back as she had a strong feeling that the old man was extremely stubborn.

As they left the pet shop and walked down the street following Mr. Olsen’s directions though a part of Sunset already seemed to instinctually knew how to get there before the man finished explaining. Fluttershy said she knew the basic location of it and it was only about a fifteen minute walk if they took their time.

“I’m happy you came.” Fluttershy said as they walked side by side doing a little window shopping at the stores lining the street. It seemed so different from Canterlot with how much more busy the place seemed yet so much alike at the same time.

“To tell the truth, despite how tired I am, I’m glad I came to.” Sunset said as she stretched. Her mouth dropped open when she caught the sight of two girls, one a blonde and the other brunette, fly overhead at amazing speeds that nobody else seemed to notice. The woman made of fire and man made of ice following them at high speeds which shook Sunset a little. The two girls were dressed similar to what Sunset was dressed in the night before when she transformed making her feel a bit of an urge to follow them.

“What do you want to do first?” Fluttershy asked looking around.

“Fluttershy, I need to spend a little time alone.” Sunset said feeling guilty at seeing the disappointed look on Fluttershy’s face. “It isn’t that I don’t want to hang out, I just need to sort through some things. I’ll meet with you at the Silver Dragon if I don’t catch up with you at the mall.”

“Okay I guess, just be careful.” Fluttershy said before Sunset turned and literally ran off in the direction she seen the girls, fire woman and ice man flew in. It took a few minutes but she came to a large bridge where the two girls were collapsed on the ground trying to get back up while the other two stood on either side preparing an attack.

“Looks like we aren’t getting out of this one, Corny.” The brunette said as she was clearly on the verge of giving up. With the amount of damage it looked like she took in the short time for Sunset to catch up it was understandable. Her clothes were filthy with a lot of rips with blood looking to leak out and a wing seemed to be broken.

“Don’t call me Corny, Irmy.” The blonde choked out as she coughed up a little blood, her condition no better then the brunette.

Sunset stared in horror as she hid behind one of the bridge supports unsure what to do. She couldn’t just let the two girls get killed by these creatures, yes she wasn’t sure if she had a right to step in. Who’s to say the two elemental people were the bad guys, they may have been police or something.

“Prepare to die guardians.” The fire woman laughed as the fireball in her hand grew more and more making Sunset pretty sure those two weren’t the good guys.

Lifting the gem to her lips she whispered to it, “Guardians unite!”

The results were near instantaneous despite time seeming to slow down as Sunset was encased in the cocoon of energy as two balls of light shot out of the gem and engulfed the blonde and brunette on the ground creating a cocoon around them as well. When Sunset burst from her cocoon she noticed the energy cocoons around the two girls also burst with the shockwave knocking their attackers back as the two floated there with their outfits fixed and all their wounds healed.

“Irma, what happened?” the blonde gasped as she looked herself over.

“I don’t know Cornelia, but I feel so much stronger.” Irma said making a fist and shaking at the two elementals.

“Even if you somehow healed yourself guardian, you still aren’t a match for us.” The ice man laughed. Sunset’s body seemed to move on it’s own as she flew out from the pillar and threw a bolt of energy that arced like lightning at the ice man as the two girls cried out in shock.

“Will?” Irma cried out, tears almost falling as she covered her mouth in shock.

“Is that really you?” Cornelia asked so softly Sunset barely heard her. Instead of a reply, the fire woman grinned and threw a fireball at the now red haired girl.

“Three guardians or two, it doesn’t matter since you all will be dying.” The fire woman laughed only for the fireball to be swatted away by the muscular, winged form of Shagon as he shot a beam of green energy from his golden mask knocking the fire woman back.

“She is off limits and under my protection.” Shagon growled shocking all of the others present. The elementals was wondering if he betrayed them while the two winged girls was tensing for a fight worried for Will yet wondering why he was protecting her. As for Sunset, she had no idea what was going on though she was thankful to the man in front of her as she felt the same feeling she felt for the boy from the pet store.

“Let’s just go Ember, we can finish the guardians at any time.” The ice man growled.

“Right behind you, Tridart.” Ember growled as the two flew off.

“Get away from her, Shagon!” Cornelia spat as she started to summon vines from under where Shagon was hovering before both Irma and her was hit by a low energy attack from Sunset stunning them without injuring them. Before she could react Shagon put his hand on Sunset’s shoulder and they disappeared and reappeared on a roof in the city with high walls around them thanks to the signs where people wouldn’t be able to see them easily from below.

“What are you?” Sunset asked as she jerked back in shock.

“My name is Shagon and my mistress tasked me with your safety. Be honored guardian, my mistress has no love of your kind and her want to protect you is the only reason I didn’t leave you to those fools.” Shagon growled before disappearing again.

“Great, I really am being dragged into some kind of magic crap again.” Sunset groaned, the excitement to have magic back at her fingertips, even if it wasn’t her normal type, didn’t help the annoyance that things just kept getting more and more out of control in her life. Deciding she may as well as get back on the ground she flew off the back of the building to land in the alley where she changed back with a relief that she changed back to normal.


“Are you okay?” Hay Lin gasped as she heard her two friends tell her about how Ember and Tridart jumped them earlier and they were saved by Will who Cornelia and Irma was arguing over. They were on a three way call as they couldn’t get a hold of Taranee while Hay Lin finished wrapping the last gift she had gotten for her friends.

“She’s been gone for three years and she shows up out of the blue with Shagon. It’s just too suspicious.” Cornelia’s voice said a little subdued.

“Give it a rest Corny, your attitude is the reason Will felt like she was unwanted in the first place.” Irma snarked back making Hay Lin pray they weren’t about to get into another fight.

“Don’t you think I know that! I have to live with that everyday! It’s my fault she’s dead!” Cornelia half sobbed and half screamed over the phone.

“But you two said you saw her.” Hay Lin said.

“We did.” Irma said, “And Cornelia, it wasn’t your fault. I’m sorry I suggested that. We all said things we didn’t mean that night. The important thing is Will is alive and okay.”

“Irma, that wasn’t her. I want it to be her as much as you, but it’s just another of Nerissa’s tricks.” Cornelia said before ending her call.

“Do you think she’s right?” Hal Lin asked as she wasn’t there and was unsure what to think.

“I think it was, Hay. I just have this feeling it was her. I wish Taranee was there, she could have read her mind and found out for sure.” Irma said.

“If it was her though, where has she been?” Hay Lin asked, a little hope bubbling up in her chest. They have all been let down before by false leads and the council wasn’t much help. Vathek’s report of what happened the night Will faced down Prince Phobos and Cedric didn’t make the Oracle too happy though since he couldn’t find any trace of the Heart of Kandrakar in any of the infinite dimensions meaning it had to have went to one of the extremely few worlds that was closed to them leaving them nearly defenseless. If it wasn’t for Luba’s idea of creating gems that acted like batteries they wouldn’t be able to transform. The drawbacks was that their powers were extremely weakened and after every couple transformations they would have to return to Kandrakar to have them recharged by Luba.

“Hay Lin dear, it’s almost time.” Hay Lin’s mother called getting hr attention. She had to help with the restaurant tonight since their part time help called off tonight. With a heavy sigh and thoughts on what was going on Hay Lin got up to get ready for work.

Author's Note:

Another one down, but I do have a question for everyone who is reading. I'm kind of at a crossroads of which direction to go next chapter as I like both choices kind of yet both choices will have repercussions to the rest of the story. Not a lot, but some as it will change the way some things go moving forward. Do you think Sunset should regain her past memories in the next chapter or do you think she should never regain them fully even if she does regain a few here and there? I was originally not going to have her regain them fully, but I keep thinking it might be good if she does regain them. What are your thoughts on it?