• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Friday Dec 23 c

The morning actually went by pretty quickly, despite Sunset’s fears of a day playing as a life sized Barbie. Susan did push her to try on a lot of things, including several formal dresses, but Sunset actually ended up enjoying the entire experience. It was a lot more fun than she thought it was going to be, but she was pretty sure that was because she got to do it with her mother. It was one of those hidden dreams she never told anyone as Sunset had always tried her best to maintain a strong, independent front that seemed to not need anyone. She had pretty much given up any hope of having any experiences like this, of making memories with a mother that she so desperately wanted.

The car ride was a little more cramped though as they had to bring a smaller vehicle while the minor damages on Susan’s main vehicle were being repaired. Being smaller, the vehicle didn’t hold the bags quite as well as Susan had planned, leaving Sunset holding the packages her friends had left her for Christmas. A part of her was disappointed that they couldn’t be there as all of them had family obligations, but she was also relieved as she was still a little unsure of how to act around them after the last few weeks.

“So, did you enjoy today?” Susan asked as she pulled into the parking garage of their penthouse.

“I actually loved it.” Sunset replied with a large, yet tired smile. “It was exhausting though. While I loved doing it with you, I wouldn’t want to go to that many stores on my own.”

“Shopping can be a chore.” Susan chuckled, “I have to admit, it was cute how embarrassed you got when you were being measured.”

“Even at her worst, Rarity could do a better job than her!” Sunset groaned, remembering the woman taking measurements for several custom made gowns for upcoming business events her mother planned to take her to. Susan had asked if she wanted to go to Rarity to have something made, but Sunset rejected the idea. She knew with how guilty the fashionista was feeling, the girl would probably make Sunset a whole new wardrobe and insist it be free of charge.

“Well, we’re home and it looks like Vel is already here.” Susan said, parking next to Twilight Velvet’s car.

“Mom, I know I said it before, but thanks for everything you’ve done for me.” Sunset said, Susan leaning over to hug her through the girl’s arm full of packages.

“Anytime sweetie. Now let’s get this unloaded and upstairs.” Susan said, getting out with Sunset clumsily following with her arms full. Susan hurried over to grab a cart and brought it back to help Sunset unload and start transferring the multitude of bags from the back seat onto the trolley.

“This is going to take two loads, heck this is going to take me forever to put away!” Sunset groaned, but she was happy. While she protested spending so much money on clothes, it was nice actually being able to get some clothes that she liked without looking for large discounts, clearance, used, or rely on Rarity’s generosity.

“Relax honey, there’s another cart so one trip will do it.” Susan said, pointing to the other trolley which Sunset hurried over to retrieve. It took almost twenty minutes just to safely get everything loaded, Sunset taking extra care with two bags in particular that she snuck off to get earlier while Susan was taking a break.

“Sure you don’t want help with Twilight’s present?” Susan asked as the two pushed the carts to the elevator.

“I’m sure, thanks though.” Sunset replied with a nervous smile. She didn’t lie, she did have a present for Twilight, but most of the two bags’ contents were for her mother. Sunset knew Susan suspected that with the light teasing, but both women kept the façade going. The two managed to make it to their apartment without any trouble and found Twilight Velvet watching the news while sipping on a cup of coffee.

“Bout time you got back, Susie. Twily has been going crazy waiting for Sunny to get back. Something about some kind of project the kids are working on.” Velvet said, eyeing the two carts loaded with bags and packages. “Wow, you girls leave anything for other shoppers?”

“Hardy har har.” Susan deadpanned, earning a playful smirk from Velvet.

“Sunset!” Twilight cried excitedly, launching herself at Sunset and hugging the girl before pulling her towards the bedrooms. “Come on, Martin is here too and we have the base of our project in the lab!”

“Go on sweetie, I’ll help you put this away later.” Susan said as Twilight dragged Sunset away.

“Okay Sparky, what’s got you so excited?” Sunset laughed as she was pulled into the lab to come face to face with a boy sitting at one of the tables, looking through a mounted magnifying glass at some contraption that was basically shaped like a bracelet.

“First, I want you to meet my boyfriend, Martin!” Twilight said with pride and excitement. “Second, we have the base finished for the mana diffuser!”

“Mana diffuser? Sunset asked, looking at the thing Martin was working on.

“Hey, ignore Twily, she gets like this when she gets too excited.” Martin chuckled which earned him a playful slap on his shoulder from his girlfriend. “Anyways, I have most of the skeleton finished already since I can smelt materials in my garage. For the base we used a mix of metals from Earth and Meridian, mostly being steel and some brass added in to help with what you want the bracelet to be used for. I did have to change a few small things in the design though, sorry.”

“What small things?” Sunset asked as the boy handed her the bracelet to inspect. While it didn’t look the prettiest, if it did what she wanted then it wouldn’t really matter. She did wish they could have made it look a little nicer at least though. She did have to admire the settings with what looked like some kind of circuitry that was small, yet unmistakably there. There was more than her original three that she wanted which could make things a little more difficult to finish since she didn’t ask for this many.

“Well, I added a mix of crushed quartz Twilight got from Elyon and some copper for the circuits to the different sections. When we finish the bracelet we’ll put a silver cover over this making it look like a simple bracelet with the larger gem you wanted in the center and the smaller ones on either side. There will be some more hidden, as I’m sure you noticed, as from what we theorize skin contact with them will help fulfill their function. So basically, we need gems to regulate the energy collection, a gem to store the energy, one for the protection charm, one to release the overabundance of energy into a beam for offense, and one to direct a small flow of collected energy to the wearer to increase their vitality and promote quicker healing. We also need one to shield, or in this case, diffuse direct attacks that aren’t that powerful. I really don’t know about higher level attack spells and how much this can take.”

“I was the best student at Celestia’s school, but even that was a bit more than I anticipated.” Sunset said, her head swimming a little at the explanation. Of course she could follow that, but she didn’t plan on anything so complicated as she doubted they could finish anything more than the simple design Twilight and herself came up with rather quickly last night.

“I’m not sure I can get all of those gems.” Sunset sighed as she sat down. She was very impressed that the boy had done it so quickly, and with the changes they implemented. She was a little sad as she didn’t think they could finish her mothers present in time.

“Don’t worry if you can’t, that is the beauty of this. The cover is easily removable and as long as it has the main three gems you are getting it will protect against mind control.” Martin said, Twilight leaning down to hug him from behind making the boy grow a goofy smile.

“Isn’t he the best?” Twilight asked, giving the boy a kiss on the cheek.

“I’m beginning to think he really is.” Sunset said, giving the bracelet another look. It was much more complex than she first thought and looking at some of the gem settings, she realized they were set deeper into the material and if there was some kind of cover it would likely hide them. The design actually looked like something from an old fantasy movie, but now the test was seeing if it worked. Sunset almost frowned at the fact that she didn’t have much to do with it other than explaining to Twilight about the basics of how the magic would work, which the girl must have repeated to the boy.

“Of course this is just a prototype. If it actually works, we can streamline it even more and even make extras.” Twilight said.

“I can’t believe you both got this much done this quick.” Sunset said in awe, “You don’t even know me, really.”

“Hey, we’re friends and friends help each other, so don’t worry about it.” Martin said with a grin, “Besides, we nerds have to stick together.”

“That we do.” Twilight nodded in agreement.

“I can’t wait until the next science fair. I know we can’t use magic for it, but can you imagine what the three of us can do together! I know you were always at the top of Canterlot for your science fairs and Twilight was the same for Crystal Prep. I don’t want to brag, but I always win Sheffield’s. Or I did until Twilight moved here, now we’re a team and with all three of us we will be unstoppable!”

“I’m looking forward to it.” Sunset said with a soft smile, though she was a little worried about transferring schools. She had until after New Year’s to make up her mind, so she decided to just worry about that later.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, and Thursday Dec 22 b, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!