• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,817 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,817

Friday Dec 16 c

Sunset shook her head feeling floored by what the woman just said as she took the gem back and placed back under her top as she got up and started pacing while running fingers through her hair in agitation. How could this complete stranger not only bribe their way into her apartment, but have the nerve to want her and the girls to help stop what ever magical threat that was apparently going on. And even worse, how can she have the gill to suggest that Sunset was her daughter? The picture was a girl with all red hair, hazel eyes and a completely different skin tone.

“I know what I’m saying is a lot, but that necklace belonged to my daughter.” Susan said as she finally got herself under better control and got up to join Sunset, putting a hand on the younger girl’s shoulder. “That’s the conduit for my daughter and her friends’ powers.”

“I’ve was found with this necklace ten years ago.” Sunset said shaking her head deciding that the woman knew about magic so might as well tell her the truth. “Look lady, I want to help you, but I just can’t. Those girls in that video are not my friends, I don’t know what they are to me right now. As for being your daughter, I’m sorry but I’m not even from this world. I’m from a place called Equestria. A magical world of talking pastel colored ponies that I admit have counterparts in this area from what I can tell.”

“Sunset, the wish sent my daughter back in time to a new life. It could have changed her, it could have changed you if you are her.” Susan said getting in front of Sunset and taking her arms and giving them a gentle squeeze and a pleading look.

“Miss Vandom,” Sunset said with a heavy sigh, “I’m not human, I’m a unicorn.”

“Don’t you see though, that explains a lot!” Susan urged before shaking her head, a look of realization crossing her features as she let go of Sunset’s arms. “Sunset, the leader of the place where my daughter and her friends got their powers is called the Oracle. He said that if my daughter was still alive she had to be in one of three worlds cut off from them because he couldn’t trace the Heart of Kandrakar, the pendant you are wearing.”

“I’m sorry, but that doesn’t make any sense to me.” Sunset sighed, “None of this does.”

“Sunset, those three worlds are at odds with Kandrakar and sealed themselves off completely so there is no way to find out what is going on in those worlds or even to send somebody there. Equestria is the worse one, there is a ruler there named Celestia who refused to join their alliance against evil. She turned against Kandrakar and threatened to destroy them if she ever saw anyone from there again.” Susan explained making Sunset’s head spin.

“Okay, for arguments sake let’s say I believe most of what you say.” Sunset said rubbing her eyes with her thumb and forefinger. “What do you expect of me?”

“I’m hoping that maybe you will agree to a DNA test and see if there is any trace of my daughter in you.” Susan said with a little hope.

“No, I’m not, just no.” Sunset said, her breath hitching as she refused to admit that she just didn’t want to go through the pain of finally having a family only for it to be stolen from her again. Her unknown past, Princess Celestia pushing her away and now the betrayal of her friends just when they said they were her family. She didn’t think she had the strength to give any more hope for a family. “What do you expect me to do about your magical problem.”

“All I need is a little hair, please.” Susan pleaded only to get a glare from Sunset making her sigh in defeat, “You have the Heart of Kandrakar, please use it to help my daughters friends and if your other friends could help make that unicorn in the sky again-“

“Alicorn.” Sunset said interrupting Susan.

“What?” Susan asked in confusion.

“It was an alicorn, it had wings and a horn. I’m a unicorn, only a pony with a horn though back in Equestria I was extremely powerful.” Sunset explained.

“Well if you could make that Alicorn again maybe you could help my daughter’s friends defeat the monsters that is threatening them.” Susan suggested hopefully.

“I don’t think it’s possible to recreate that alicorn, especially at the moment. Just how am I supposed to use this Heart of Kandrakar to help?” Sunset asked as she squeezed the pendant through the fabric of her shirt.

“If you get near my daughters friends and say guardians unite, all of you will turn into these fairy like creatures with elemental abilities. I think my daughter’s was called quintessence.” Susan said making Sunset stop in surprise. She had a strong instinct to say it just before Susan finished.

“Look, this is a lot right now. You don’t understand the things I’ve been through lately.” Sunset sighed moving away from Susan and leaning against her small table looking down on it. She flinched a little as she felt the hand rest on her shoulder and give a comforting squeeze.

“I’d like to help if I can, I’m more than willing to listen and help in any way.” Susan said with a teary smile.

“Today’s Friday, I need a couple days to sort through some things. Then we have school Monday and Tuesday before the holiday starts to make up a few days the school was closed earlier because of an incident at the Fall Formal.” Sunset explained, “Just give me time to process everything and come back Tuesday evening or even Wednesday and I’ll talk more about the magic stuff. If there is an actual emergency I guess I can write my number down.”

“I’d appreciate that.” Susan said, thankful for what little she did get as Sunset fetched a drawing pad and a pen and proceeded to tear out a page from the back and scribble something down before looking up with a strange expression.

“I do have a question, you said you had your head stuck to far up your ex’s butt to see what was going on. What did you mean?” Sunset asked.

“I was dating one of my daughter’s teachers.” Susan said earning a snort from Sunset that the woman couldn’t really be upset over. She could see now how much pain it caused her daughter. “After a couple dates he started being the only thing I could think about and at times had a hard time thinking about my daughter. After she disappeared and he said something stupid that really pissed me off I broke it off. After a couple days away from him it was like a haze lifted and I started seeing a bunch of little pieces starting to fit together. Finally the grandmother of one of my daughter’s friends explained everything to me and introduced me to their world.”

“He sounds like an ass and I guess we do stupid things when we think we are in love.” Sunset said handing the paper to Susan who in exchange handed her a business card. The whole thing did sound a little odd to Sunset, it sounded like forbidden magic that was outlawed a long time ago in Equestria though some managed to still pull it off.

“He is, but he is out of my life and I just want my daughter back.” Susan sighed.

“Here.” Sunset sighed plucking a few strands of hair and handing them over to Susan.

“Are you sure?” Susan asked through teary eyes pulling out a small collections bag from her purse.

“No, not really, but at least it will give you closure and we can move past the whole thinking I’m your daughter thing. Don’t forget, I’m just a stupid crayon.” Sunset sighed.

“Please don’t ever use that word in that way again. There is nothing wrong with people with different skin tones, they are all the same.” Susan said, “I thought people pretty much stopped using it like that except a few idiots.”

“Really? From the way someone I know talks its all anyone outside of the county thinks of us.” Sunset said realizing she shouldn’t have taken Rainbow Dash’s words as the actual reality of things.

“I don’t know anyone who uses that word like that and I’ve become the CEO of a large technology firm in the last year. I even have a wonderful assistant with the most beautiful grey skin named Twilight Velvet. I’d be lost without her by my side at work.” Susan explained.

“Well, the more you know, huh?” Sunset said in a daze as she really didn’t expect that. Maybe the outside world surrounding Canterlot might not have been as bad as she feared.

“I guess I’ll leave you to process everything. I’ll let you know about the results of the DNA test when I come back since I believe it will take seventy-two hours to complete. Have a good night.” Susan said as she walked out the door after giving Sunset a quick hug and a kiss on her head which stunned Sunset a few moments making her feel really warm inside making her feel happier than she’s been in days.

“Please drive me home.” Susan said as she got into the limo before putting up the privacy divider. Taking her phone she dialed a number which was answered after just a couple rings.

“Susie, how did it go?” Yan Lin asked from the other end of the phone with her normal chipper voice though the tiredness could be heard that has been coloring it lately with everything going on.

“Better than I expected, Yannie. Thank you for all of your support and help and convincing me to follow this lead.” Susan said as she slumped in her seat feeling extremely tired herself all of a sudden.

“So it was her?” Yan Lin asked in barely concealed eagerness.

“I wish I knew, I could see some of Will in her. At the same time, she was so different. So much more independent from what my investigators could find.” Susan explained, “Something is wrong there though and no matter if she ends p being Will or not I am not planning on leaving her alone. She’s sixteen living on her own in an apartment that isn’t even a quarter of the size Will and I had when we came to Heatherfield.”

“What parts of Will do you see in her?” Yan Lin asked curious.

“She has this lizard thing, it isn’t a frog but she has so many drawings of frogs in her sketch books. There was so many of them also of those girls we saw on the video as well as these weird almost horse looking things.” Susan explained before dropping the thing that gave her the most hope other than Sunset having the Heart of Kandrakar. “Yannie, we started arguing a little and she called me mom in a snarky voice, her snarky voice. I heard my little girl tonight!”


Standing in her bathroom in front of her full length mirror Sunset had the pendant in her hand turning this way and that studying the soft glow it was giving off. It didn’t seem to do that when others was looking at it too often, but when she held it like this it did and she always had this strong urge to say or do something. She just didn’t know what it was until now. Holding it up close to her lips she whispered, “Guardians unite.”

She didn’t really expect anything to happen despite feeling that it would change everything. And change everything for her it did as it felt like her entire body was constricted into a cocoon of energy that her body was slowly spinning in as power filled her body more and more until it overpowered the cocoon in a flash of light shattering it and leaving her hovering a couple inches off the ground thanks to the fairy like wings that were beating fast. Looking at herself she quickly noticed it wasn’t the only change as her hair had become short and purely red. Her eyes changed to hazel and her skin changed to be a lighter color of the woman here earlier while her clothes changed into something Sunset felt was right though she was sure would give Rarity a heart attack. She was wearing a violet midriff baring top with flowing sleeves, a teal skirt with teal and green stripped stockings and a pair of knee high purple boots. Looking at the image in the mirror she muttered something she barely does outside of bad game streams.

“Oh fu…”

Author's Note:

If I mention Sheffield making it sound like a city at times, I actually mean it as the county. Sorry. Sheffield will have Heatherfield and other cities in it. Canterlot is actually a county too, though Canterlot is a city in it too as well as Ponyville named after the wild ponies that was there when it was founded and I'm thinking I'm going to call it Crystal Cove which is where Crystal Prep is. Don't worry, Sunset isn't stuck looking like this, it is just a transformation and she will have another one that makes her look like Sunset.