• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,763 Views, 364 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 364
 1,763

Tuesday Dec 20 d

Being annoyed that their conversation was interrupted since they arrived at the apartment complex Sunset would be moving into with her mother quickly turned to awe once they made it inside. While the outside of the building did look really nice and the neighborhood did look a little on the rich side, the apartment itself pretty much nailed the fact that her mother was pretty well off home. Their apartment was actually the penthouse that took up the entire top floor with the family slash common room being twice as big as her old apartment shocking the girl as they carried her stuff through it into another room which would be her own. Again it was twice as big as her old apartment not counting her private bathroom which was almost just as big as her old apartment herself. Just who really needed both a separate large walk in shower with glass doors as well as a deep bathtub perfect for soaking in which looked to have jets in it like Rarity’s did.

Her room itself had a tell dresser in the small space to the left of the door to her bathroom that opened against it and one of those lower ones that was long to the right of the door which Ray’s terrarium was sitting as Sunset hooked it his lights while Leonard dropped off the last of the totes in the middle of the room which didn’t even come close to hindering any foot traffic. On the end of the dresser was a large L shaped desk with what looked like a custom desktop computer sitting there.

On the opposite wall a large queen, maybe even king sized bed with four posts and curtains which Sunset was positive Rarity had said was a princess style bed which the posh girl wanted but couldn’t get as it wouldn’t really fit in her room very well. Next to it was a night stand with a closet that turned out being a walk-in closet that was about half the size of her new bathroom on the other side of it. Next to it was a wardrobe which Sunset wasn’t sure was necessary with a closet she doubted she would ever be able to even fill a tenth of much less the whole thing requiring the wardrobe. On the wall next to the entry way was a large television that was probably the largest she had ever seen with a couple leather chairs that Sunset recognized from the mall that was heated and had massage capabilities. Finally the last wall had what seemed to be large bay windows with heavy blinds blocking out the light and heavy curtains hanging over them pulled mostly closed.

Sunset was still unsure how she deserved such a room and was purely stunned at the size of it as she straightened up from getting Ray’s heat turned on. This place was a little much, so much more than she thought possible.

“Anything else Ma’am?” Leonard asked giving them both a smile.

“No, that will be all. I’ll be back in a moment honey.” Susan said as she kissed the top of Sunset’s head in passing.

“Welcome home Ms. Shimmer, I hope you have a Merry Christmas and I look forward to serving you both.” Leonard said with a smile as be gave a short bow before following Susan out of the room after Sunset wished him a Merry Christmas as well leaving Sunset to look around the room. Susan had assured her everything was hers in the room and Sunset was having a hard time comprehending everything.

“Sorry sweetie, I was just seeing Leonard out and giving him his Christmas bonus.” Susan said as she returned a moment later.

“It’s okay.” Sunset said feeling a little overwhelmed as Sunset went over to pull the top off one of the tubs to start helping Sunset unpack. Shaking off her state of shock at the moment she let the thing that had been bothering her come back as she asked, “Just how does Twilight know about magic?”

“We need to see about getting you an art desk or some easels or something.” Susan mumbled as she started pulling out the knickknacks and the carefully packed paints. “Oh, Twilight, well that is a bit of a story.”

“You can leave that packed for now until I figure out what to do with it.” Sunset said as she opened the tote with her drawing supplies and clothes putting the sketchpads and pencils on the desk by the keyboard. “I don’t really mind a long story, I really want to know.”

“Well, I guess it isn’t really a secret since most of what happened other than the magic happened publicly. It started a little after Velvet and I became close, like sisters and she confided in me she was worried about Twilight. Apparently she was closing herself off more and more while working on some project centered around an unknown energy source that spiked so high it set off all of her instruments in her lab at Crystal Prep.” Susan explained as she started pulling the clothes from the tote Sunset was working on and straightening them out before putting hangers she retrieved from the closet on them. “It took Yan Lin showing me video after the whole seahorse thing for me to realize what she had seen. We both thought that it was too dangerous to let Twilight start messing around with something that she didn’t understand so we explained everything to Velvet and showed her proof that magic was real and most likely the energy source Twilight had detected.”

“I bet that went over well.” Sunset said as she inspected her drawing pads to make sure that there wasn’t any damage to them.

“You don’t know the half of it.” Susan laughed as she finished putting the clothes on hangers as there really weren’t many of them to do. “After her freak out she brought Twilight and the three of us explained everything to her and told her she needed to drop the whole thing since she could get hurt as well as hurt the lives of anyone with magic and their families. At first she vehemently refused until she broke down and admitted she had to finish her project to get away from Crystal Prep and the now ex-Principal Cinch who had been trying to blackmail Twilight into competing in the Friendship Games this spring.”

“She was being blackmailed?” Sunset asked in shock, “What kind of monster does that to their students?”

“Apparently a very cruel one as Velvet’s daughter in law had been trying behind the scenes to negate the damage Cinch kept causing by forcing the students to compete with each other to the point bullying ran rampant. Being a private school it was harder to get rid of Cinch as the board only saw the results of the highest ranking school in the state. With proof of what she tried with Twilight and some high level attorneys threatening to demolish the board in court they had no choice but to investigate. When they finally did even the most cold hearted members were disgusted by the things they found and had Cinch arrested and put Velvet’s daughter in law Cadence in charge.” Susan explained making Sunset blanch at the name. “Are you okay honey?”

Susan had finished putting the small stack of clothes in the closet and moved over to give Sunset a comforting hug wondering just what she said that was bothering Sunset. It was impossible not to see the blanch and the mixture of anger and guilt in the girl’s eyes that Susan was confident didn’t have anything to do with the story about Twilight.

“A part of me still hates her even though I keep trying to tell myself none of it was her fault. I feel like crap feeling that was since I’m not that little anymore and I know better.” Sunset sighed as she leaned into the embrace feeling a little embarrassed for enjoying them so much yet didn’t want it to stop as it was what she dreamed of for as long as she could remember.

“Who honey? What happened?” Susan asked rubbing circles in Sunset’s back.

“When I was a pony, Princess Celestia found me as a filly in the middle of a magic surge, the one I guess that sent me to that world. She took me in and made me feel like she was going to be a mother to me but the more I tried to prove I was worthy of her the more she pushed me away.” Sunset explained, her voice a little shaky and soft. “Then after a couple years she brought a new pony into the castle, a total stranger. I’ve been there or so long killing myself to prove I was worthy of her love and she got angry with me because I called her mom. The same day she brought that pony in, the day she brought Cadence in, she insisted that she called her Auntie.”

“You are worthy of love and if that nag was too blind to see how wonderful you are then she didn’t deserve you. I can see hoe wonderful you are and I’m so proud to call you my daughter.” Susan said kissing the top of Sunset’s head. “You can call me mom anytime you want, I’d be so proud to be called that by you.”

“I don’t know if I can, a part of me is afraid of being thrown away as soon as I do.” Sunset admitted as she gently pulled away and wiped her eyes putting on a fake smile and went to open the tote with her notebook, clock and game system with games making Susan give a sad sigh.

“Sweetie, I do love you.” Susan said as she moved beside Sunset and gave her a half hug. “Don’t ever forget that because nothing will change that. I won’t push you to call me mom if Susan makes you more comfortable. Just know that I’m here for you.”

“Thanks.” Sunset said with a sad smile, but a real one as she really appreciated the woman saying it giving her yet another point if Sunset’s book for being the kind of mother she had wished so many years for. Deciding to change the topic back to what they were discussing, she asked, “What happened next with Twilight?”

“Well, Velvet ended up pulling Twilight out of Crystal prep even with Cadence taking charge much to Twilight’s relief.” Susan explained as she looked though the game cases as Sunset pulled out the game system itself and was setting it up on the platform below the television. “Twilight was so happy even if Sheffield isn’t as prestigious as Crystal Prep it’s still a very good private school. She’s made some friends with the girls though they aren’t really close. Especially Irma, Twilight started going out with the boy who crushed on Irma for years and the poor girl don’t know how to take losing his attentions. It is her fault though for rejecting him all those times if she had any interest in him.”

“Huh, that’s kind of unexpected.” Sunset said as she finished plugging the cables in. “This Twilight must be more outgoing than the pony one.”

“Well, not really.” Susan said as she handed Sunset the small stack of games. “It’s more like Martin is a little more unrelenting when he sees something he wants. Not in a bad way, not really, he just asked her a few times and she said yes. Thanks to him and the ability to relax a little being away from that shark tank Crystal Prep had become, Twilight has broken out of her shell some. They spend a lot of time here at times.”

“They do?” Sunset asked a little shocked.

“Yeah, since I have four rooms here I have one and saved you one and I made a guest one that Twilight more or less uses mostly when her parents are out of town. Night Light is a lawyer and Velvet is my assistant and sometimes they have to go out of town for business for me and I take care of Twilight. The last room I had a makeshift office but I never used it so when Twilight started staying over I let her convert it into a lab as long as it isn’t anything dangerous.” Susan explained. “Do you like your room honey?”

“I love it, I never imagined I would ever have a room like this. I think it’s even better than my room at the castle when I was the Princess’s student. A part of me is still a little unsure if I deserve this.” Sunset said as she looked at what little she had and realized that even when she was completely done unpacking the room would still be kind of barren of personal things with how big it was and how little she had to fill it.

“You deserve it and more.” Sunset said.

“Susan?” Sunset asked, fidgeting as she looked down avoiding Susan’s eyes for several moments.

“Its okay honey, take your time.” Susan said with a patient smile before the wind was knocked out of her as Sunset rushed forward and hugged her tightly crying.

“Thank you for finding me and making me feel like I belong somewhere!” Sunset cried as Susan wrapped her arms around her daughter and kissed her on her head.

“You do belong Sunset and I hope you never feel like you don’t ever again.” Susan said squeezing the girl.

“I love you.” Sunset whispered making Susan's smile threaten to split her face.

“I love you too honey,” Susan sniffed, “Now and always my baby girl.”

Author's Note:

So ends another day/chapter. Now that Sunset is in Heatherfield things will be speeding up a little though I am trying hard to decide on something. I've been trying to keep Nerissa's side of things out of the story for the most part because her changed plans will easily ruin the identity of the main villain of the story. I'm thinking of writing a spinoff which will be much shorter than this story that shows what she is up to or if I just should go ahead and spoil who the villain is and have her in the story a bit more. Either way, Shagon, Khor, Tridart and Ember will be in the story, some of them causing trouble which some trouble will be very soon.