• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,824 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,824

Wednesday Dec 21 c

Sunset wanted to ignore the fireball that flew into the sky that everyone else around her seemed to not notice or ignored as they went about their business. It was something that she herself wanted to ignore though there was something that wouldn’t let her so instead she headed off toward where she saw it come from while grumbling about missing the bus.

Finding several abandoned buildings with boarded up windows and doors with signs warning to stay away as they were scheduled for demolishing Sunset found who she was searching for in an already half cleared lot with a few construction machines and large dumpsters filled with debris sitting around. She had seen a large sign saying that the area was going to be made into a new apartment complex as she tried to stay out of sight. Finding a hole in a wall that would keep her bags out of site and hopefully out of danger she slid them in there.

Getting closer she was sure she could feel faint traces of Matt making her wonder if he was there as the magic from him was hard to miss. Looking over the lot Sunset noticed the dark skinned girl in her normal clothes on the ground groaning as she was trying to stand up shakily with little success. Cornelia was standing over her in her guardian form with hands outstretched to a wall of dirt holding it in place as the fire elemental kept throwing balls of fire that didn’t seem to leave scorch marks yet seemed to cause concussive force blats on impact making the wall shake and Cornelia to grunt in effort as she was covered in sweat from the mental and physical demand it was taking to maintain the protection over her friend.

Irma herself was back against a half demolished wall as ice was slowly creeping across her body as her guardian form protected her from the extreme cold it had to have been causing. That or these two weren’t that strong with magic or was pulling their punches. Something wasn’t adding up the longer Sunset watched the fight, wondering if she really needed to intervene before Tridart caught Hay Lin by her neck and squeezed tightly making her struggle against his hold as he laughed while still using his other hand to keep working on Freezing Irma over.

“Goodbye guardian.” Tridart laughed as Hay Lin changed back to normal before opening his hand to let her drop towards the ground.

“NO! HAY LIN!” Sunset screamed thrusting the heart out, “GUARDIANS UNITE!”

Time seemed to freeze as orbs of light shot out striking each other girls strengthening and healing the ones in guardian form already while transforming the ones not already in guardian mode including Sunset. Hay Lin managed to keep from hitting the ground with a loud cry of joy while Irma was freed from her growing icy prison.

“Will!” Hay Lin sobbed out seeing the redhead join them flying in the air towards her.

“Stay away from her hay Lin, she’s an imposter working with Nerissa!” Cornelia screamed angrily about to launch rock spears at her.

“Are you sure?” Taranee asked, “Just because Shagon saved her before, he still stood against Tridart and Ember didn’t he?”

“Maybe you little insects should learn to pay attention!” Ember laughed throwing a large fireball towards Sunset only for it to be blocked by a wave of water from Irma who was using the melted ice that was holding her just moments before.

“Maybe you should.” Hay Lin whispered into Embers ear after seeming to appear next to the fire woman whose eyes grew wide before she was blown away from a hurricane level wind hay Lin blew at her with a giggle.

“You will pay for that guardian.” Tridart growled launching several large spears of ice at Hay Lin who barely dodged in time. Cornelia glared as Sunset before launching several earth spears at Tridart.

“Taranee, connect me with Hay Lin and you!” Irma called with a grin.

“Hey icepick, heads up!” Sunset called launching several arcs of lightning that the iceman dodged mostly, just taking a little damage as one arc barely nicked him in the side. The only reaction he showed was a grunt though a small crack could be seen forming.

“Who are you?” Cornelia demanded looking back and forth between the iceman and Sunset who was shaking her head.

“It’s complicated.” Sunset finally said sadly.

“No it isn’t!” Cornelia snapped, “Don’t play with us, it’s a simple yes or no answer!”

“I wish it was that simple.” Sunset said with a shrug before taking off into the air to throw another barrage of lightning at a returning Ember getting the fire woman’s attention.

“I’ll kill all of you!” Ember raged as she clenched her fist.

“I don’t think so.” Sunset said as the two kept their eyes locked waiting for the other to make a move until a shout of “NOW!” made them both look to see a grinning Irma pointing to Tridart as Hay Lin and Taranee combined their powers to create an intense stream of flame that washed over Tridart.

“That was actually pretty impressive.” Sunset said with a little shock as she didn’t really think the girls were capable of power like that from what little she had seen so far.

Tridart had fallen to the ground before climbing to one knee glaring at the girls in pure hatred with his remaining eye making a red miasma drift off him and the girls watched it float to Shagon who just appeared and absorbed the emotional energy. “Ahhh, not quite as good as the guardians hate but still a nice snack you frigid prick.”

“I’ll make you all pay for this!” Tridart snarled, half of his upper body missing and what remained was badly melted.

“That’s kind of nasty.” Irma said as Hay Lin moved closer to Sunset giving her strange looks.

“I actually have to agree.” Sunset said feeling a little queasy seeing the sight. She had never seen anything like this before, someone hurt this badly even if said person wasn’t real. She was sure he was some kind of golem.

“Be grateful guardians, you survive another day.” Ember snarled as she landed next to Tridart and put a hand on his shoulder making them both vanish in flashes of light.

“That leaves you.” Irma said as she turned to face Shagon as did all of the girls except Cornelia who raised her hand making vines shoot up from the ground and wrap around Will holding her in place.

“You aren’t running away this time, we are getting our answers.” Cornelia smugly declared as she held a fist up controlling the vines and keeping them tight around Will.

“You really think you girls stand a chance against me?” Shagon laughed, “How cute.”

“You’ll think it’s cute when I drop an ocean on you!” Irma growled keeping him busy as Hay Lin moved to stop Cornelia with Taranee watching for any sudden movements from either of their current foes. Not that she wanted to think of Will that way but that hurt the last time when she got zapped.

“Cornelia, just let her go and talk to her.” Hay Lin suggested.

“No way Hay, she isn’t getting out of that until I get the answers I want!’ Cornelia said, her expression steely as she glared at Sunset. “Who are you and how and why are you impersonating Will?”

“She might be Will, we won’t know unless everyone calms down and we take care of Shagon first.” Hay Lin urged though nobody could move fast enough to stop the low level attack of green energy Shagon shot at Cornelia stunning her long enough for Shagon to reappear next to Sunset then disappear with her.

“RAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!” Cornelia shrieked as she was doubled over from the blast as she pounded her fist into the ground at how the fake escaped with Shagon again and they didn’t have any answers. The others all had crushed expressions but went to hug and comfort their friend as they needed the comforting touch of each other as well.


Sunset stumbled as the two reappeared on the same roof at the last time this happened. She couldn’t help feeling a little shocked at what happened as she really didn’t expect Cornelia to so easily get the drop on her. It was even more surprising that it was actually a little difficult to break the vines. She was pretty sure in the end she could have if it came to it, yet Shagon had swept her away once again before she had to face the girls.

“Will you please answer me something before you go this time?” Sunset asked as she looked sad into the golden faceplate of Shagon.

“I was ordered to protect you by my Mistress, not answer your questions.” Shagon said though he didn’t just vanish.

“Do you actually like me, Matt? Or am I just an assignment to you?” Sunset asked, hating the fact that she actually cared so deeply about the answer. So what if she was just an assignment to him? It wasn’t like they were a thing.

“So you know?” Shagon asked, amusement clear in his voice. “Well, that makes thing easier. The only reason I am giving you the time of day is because my Mistress ordered me. As soon as she rescinds the order I will be coming after you just like the other guardians.”

“So the mall was just a lie?” Sunset asked looking down and refused to look at the creature before her.

“What do you think?” Shagon laughed before disappearing in a flash of light leaving Sunset to drop to her knees in a quiet sob. She hated herself for feeling so weak and hurt over what Shagon had said yet there was a small part of her that was denying what he said.


Hay Lin was passing out the plates she brought down from the kitchen with their meals as the girls sat around the table in the basement in pretty much total silence. She could see the tension between Taranee and Cornelia even though the former knows Cornelia would never feel that way to her and the second apologizing a thousand times as they walked back to the Silver Dragon after their powers left.

They were surprised that their so called batteries they used to transform was completely full despite Taranee’s being empty earlier and Irma’s close to empty. Somehow they not only transformed, their batteries were topped off taking the need to visit Kandrakar soon away. Not that it bothered Hay Lin, she didn’t like the way the one guy kept looking at her as it creeped her out.

“So, anyone going to talk about the elephant in the room?” Irma finally croaked out.

“Which one?” Taranee whispered as she pushed around a piece of chicken with her chop sticks.

“Actually, I have something I want to tell you girls.” Hay Lin sighed deciding that she needed to tell them as she couldn’t write the dream off anymore as just a simple dream. “I thought it was a dream, but I’m starting to think it was a vision.”

“About Nerissa?” Cornelia asked as she looked up from her food.

“Partly, I was in class trying to finish my homework and the teacher introduced a new student.” Hay Lin said, “I didn’t say anything and thought it was just a dream and I didn’t want to drag up old wounds.”

“Who was it?” Irma asked and for some reason Hay Lin was sure by the look on the girl’s face she already suspected.

“It was Will, but nobody recognized her. And she said her name was Sunset Shimmer.” Hay Lin said getting several shocked gasps.

“As in the Sunset from the mall?” Cornelia asked in shock.

“What does she have to do with Will?” Irma asked.

“I’m not sure, but there is something else. When I looked back to the teacher it was Nerissa.” Hay Lin said getting mixed reactions from the girl.

“They are connected!” Cornelia huffed as she slammed a fist on the table.

“We don’t know that Corny!” Irma snapped though none of them was really too sure of that as the evidence seemed to point that way.

“What about Shagon, he confronted Nerissa’s cronies this time and you said he did last time too.” Taranee said.

“Did you get anything from her?” Hay Lin asked hopefully.

“Not much, I did feel a terrified scream for Hay Lin when I was nearly out of it and she was falling. It didn’t sound like Will, but it was somebody who was hard to read.” Taranee said.

“We need to keep an eye on this Sunset.” Cornelia growled.

“No, Irma and I need to keep an eye on her.” Hay Lin said, “Cornelia, there is no way you can even get close to her. And Taranee, you need to keep an eye on Cornelia to make sure she doesn’t do something stupid again.”

“Hey!” Cornelia huffed out.

Hay Lin gave a sheepish smile as Taranee gave a small nod letting her know that the girl caught on to her plan. She was just happy that Taranee didn’t refuse as Hay Lin was hoping that if the two spent time together it might help fix the damage between the two that Cornelia’s rant had caused.

Author's Note:

This has got to be the hardest chapter I've done so far and almost made it a day later than I planned. Battles and fighting has got to be the biggest pain the butt to write out and make it even sound half way decent.