• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Saturday Dec 24 k

“Are you okay?” Cadence asked as soon as she shut the door, giving Sunset a very worried expression which surprised the teen.

“I’m fine.” Sunset sighed, a lot of the anger draining from her as she kept reminding herself that this wasn’t her Cadence. This wasn’t the alicorn who helped push her over the edge unknowingly.

“You didn’t look fine.” Cadence said, caressing the side of Sunset’s face while looking into her eyes. “It helps to talk.”

“Why should I talk to you?” Sunset demanded, flinching away from her touch.

“Because I want to help you. I don’t like seeing anyone hurt, especially someone who is family to me.” Cadence said, getting Sunset to look at her in shock as she took a few steps back until her feet hit the bed and she fell down into a sitting position on the edge.

“You don’t even know me.” Sunset argued, narrowing her eyes at the woman.

“Blood doesn’t make family, love does.” Cadence replied, “A very wise person once said that.”

“I just said that.” Sunset groaned.

“Which makes you a very wise person, dear. Now why don’t you tell me what’s going on. Normally I wouldn’t push it, but apparently you have a problem with me. I don’t know what it is, but I’ll do anything to help you overcome whatever it is.” Cadence said, “You do realize that we are cousins now, right?”

“From what I understand, it’s through marriage.” Sunset deflected as Cadence took a seat next to her on the bed. The older woman rubbed Sunset’s back encouragingly while giving a supportive smile.

“And through love.” Cadence said, “Does this have something to do with that other world?”

“What are you…of course you know.” Sunset started to say before the knowing look made her pause momentarily before groaning. “How many people know about magic and Equestria?”

“More than you would think, dear. Our whole family knows what happened to Will, and while we are sad that she is gone, we are happy to welcome you into our lives as you are our family.” Cadence assured her.

“Fine, it does have to do with the other world! There are doubles of all of us there, or at least us from Canterlot.” Sunset explained, “I blamed the you there for stealing the pony who I thought of as my mom from me. I hated her so much, and a part of me still does no matter how much I keep telling myself it wasn’t her fault. It wasn’t her fault that Celestia didn’t want me, but knowing and feeling are two different things.”

“That’s true, little cousin, but knowing why is a good first step toward conquering your hate. I don’t know what happened there, but if that Celestia was too stupid to see the wonderful, beautiful and smart girl I see, then it’s her loss.” Cadence said, “You are special, Sunset. Don’t ever let anyone tell you differently. And don’t let anyone make you feel less than that. If they do, they aren’t your friends and aren’t worth your time.”

“What if somebody does and they try to apologize?” Sunset asked, her thoughts drifting to her Canterlot friends momentarily.

“It depends, everyone makes mistakes. Everyone can have a bad day and lash out at times, even when you have an argument with a friend. If those friends do apologize, and truly mean it, then they may be worth keeping. If somebody constantly makes you feel bad though, like you aren’t worth anything, then they aren’t your friends and aren’t worth your time. Especially this Celestia it sounds like. Would you like to talk about her?”

“Maybe another time, but I don’t think we should take too long. We are supposed to be having dinner soon.” Sunset sighed, “Cadence…thank you. I don’t hate you, I don’t even really hate the one from back where I grew up. I might just need a little time for my body to catch up to my mind.”

“It's okay, Sunset.” Cadence said, leaning in to kiss her forehead. Her eyes widened a little as she looked at the door as her eyes narrowed a little. The woman stuck a finger to her lips, signaling for Sunset to stay quiet as she got up and stealthily moved toward the door before swinging it open.

“Hello girls.” Cadence said, grinning a little as she yanked the door open. Sunset couldn’t believe what she was seeing, and a part of her was a little mad at first. Then she realized the way she was acting and knew they must have just been worried.


“He called again, Susie. I’m really thinking you should at least talk to Tony and listen to what he says.” Night Light said, digging through some paperwork in a filing cabinet in the small home office he had. “I’m sure I have those papers here somewhere, though I never knew I would need them.”

“I’m thinking I might at least talk to him, Light. I don’t like him, but I loved him at one point. We both said things we regretted in our fights near the end, before he took off on us. I don’t know if I’ll ever really forgive him for that, but maybe he grew up. I know I did, I learned some harsh lessons the hard way. If he’s changed, maybe it would be good for Sunset to get to know her father.” Susan sighed, chin resting on her palm while her elbow was propped up on the desk as she tapped a pen on it with her other hand.

“I understand where you are coming from, and if he is on the level he might deserve to get to know his daughter.” Night Light said, giving an exclamation of triumph as he pulled out a small stack of papers. “I’ll see about getting this filled out tonight, or tomorrow night at the latest since we really can’t do anything until Monday anyways.”

“How are you going to do it?” Susan asked, a little curious to what Night Light was planning.

“I’m going to get the papers filled out and ready to go so you can show them to Harold and Elizabeth if it comes down to it. I’m filling out a set for a simple transfer of guardianship to begin with.” Night Light explained.

“I want to adopt her so she knows she has a family. I don’t want her feeling as if she is just a guest.” Susan said, putting the pen down and straightening up to look over the desk at Night Light.

“And I’ll help with that, but first we need the transfer of guardianship and both of them to sign their rights over to you. Then I can get the adoption process started, and with everything else signed over to you, it should be rather quick and easy. I’m also filling out paperwork to file if it comes down to it to ask a judge for emergency temporary guardianship of Cornelia to be granted to you while we investigate allegations of child abuse. I will have to add Lillian to that too if you are willing to take her long enough for the investigation to finish.” Night Light said, “I just need a few more details from you and signatures, I can handle filling out the rest.”

“Of course I'll take Lillian in too if it comes to it!” Susan exclaimed.

“Good. Then let’s hurry and get your signatures so we can go eat.” Night Light grinned, “I think my wife managed to get a hold of a few of Granny’s Apple Pies. They sell out way too quick this time of year.”

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b, Friday Dec 23 c, and the newest one on Saturday Dec 24 j as they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals to the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.