• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Saturday Dec 24 e

“Come on, I’ll take you to my place.” Sunset said, putting a hand on Cornelia’s shoulder.

“I have to go too, I’m supposed to help out at the restaurant.” Hay Lin said, giving both Sunset and Cornelia worried looks.

“And I’m supposed to be helping my mom get prep started for tomorrow’s dinner.” Taranee sighed, also clearly worried about what was going on.

“Yeah, I promised to take Chris for some last minute shopping.” Irma groaned, smacking her forehead. “Mom isn’t going to be happy, I’m already running late.”

“It’s ok girls, I’ll be fine. I have the crayons here to help me.” Cornelia said with a playful smirk, motioning to Sunset and Twilight.

“Us crayons have to stick together.” Sunset said as she stuck her tongue out at the blonde.

“See you girls later.” Twilight said, watching Irma a little nervously. Sunset noticed that it wasn’t the first time, but the two actually seemed to get along in the short time they spent here talking.

“Actually, I better go too. I was helping Martin with our project, but he needed to take a break, so I brought Spike for a walk. We’ll be able to finish the bracelet and give it to you before it’s too late tonight so you can put the final enchantments on it.” Twilight said.

“It’s fine, Sparky.” Sunset smiled, “I’ll see you tonight when you come by.”

“See you!” Twilight waved before turning around and headed off with Spike back towards the direction she came from.

“So, how are you really holding up?” Sunset asked as she sat back down in the grass and patted the spot beside her where Cornelia joined her.

“Am I that obvious?” Cornelia asked softly, rubbing at her eyes.

“To the other girls? Probably not. To me though, I’ve been through a lot of crap myself and know what it’s like.” Sunset said, pulling her knees and crossing her arms over them, resting her head there and looking over at Cornelia who fidgeted.

“I tried so hard to be what she wanted!” Cornelia cried, Sunset straightening up to pull the blonde into a side hug.

“You didn’t do anything wrong, Cornelia.” Sunset assured her, “You just can’t live up to some people’s standards and you shouldn’t try, all it will do is tear you apart in the end.”

“You sound like you know by experience.” Cornelia sighed.

“I think I’ve experienced some of what you have, I’ve never been…hit like that. But my life as Will, ever since we came here and my mom got together with Dean, my mom was treating me like crap. I don’t remember any of it, but I’ve read a lot of Will’s journals.” Sunset explained, “A lot of it is painful, and I can feel the emotions when I read them, but I know Susan was being manipulated with mind control.”

“And we just made things worse for you.” Cornelia sighed.

“No, I’m not the Will you knew.” Sunset sighed, “I still don’t know how to feel about that. I lived a whole other life as Sunset and don’t really have any actual memories as her.”

“It doesn’t change the fact that if it wasn’t for my big mouth, Will would never have felt like she had nobody here.” Cornelia sniffed.

“Cornelia, I know about Phobos and I read what Will truly thought of him and you girls.” Sunset explained, “She said she loved you girls but knew you weren’t ready to face off against Phobos, and I agree with her.”

“Hey, we were pretty good.” Cornelia huffed.

“You were pretty lucky, Cornelia. You were barely thirteen when you got your powers, and as much as I like Yan Lin, she dropped the ball with your girls. All of Kandrakar did.” Sunset explained, “You were a group of preteens with magic powers dropped in your laps and told to figure out how to use it with no real instructions. That wasn’t fair for you, it wasn’t fair for Will, and it wasn’t fair to the other girls.”

“I guess.” Cornelia reluctantly agreed.

“It’s true. And while what I’ve seen today shows me you girls are pretty good with what you can do, it also shows me just how much better you would have been with training from day one.” Sunset said.

“That doesn’t change the fact that what I said helped drive Will away and if she is gone, I effectively helped kill her.” Cornelia sobbed out. Sunset pulled the blonde into a more comfortable embrace and rubbed her back.

“Cornelia, I don’t think anything would have changed what happened. Even without what you said, Will blamed herself for what happened with Elyon. She also blamed herself for you girls being dragged into the whole guardian mess and you risking your lives over and over.” Sunset softly said, “She mentioned in her journal that there was no way you girls could have defeated Phobos and she wanted to go face him herself to keep you from getting hurt. She would have gone sooner or later to try and protect you girls, so even if you didn’t say anything to her, things would have still played out the same way.”

“It doesn’t change the fact that I said it!” Cornelia wailed.

“Cornelia, for what it’s worth, I know Will has forgiven you. I can feel it. I can feel that she is at peace and just wants you girls to go on and be happy.” Sunset reassured the blonde.

“I deserve my mom’s hate after the way I acted... I deserve yours too.” Cornelia whimpered in Sunset’s arms.

“I didn’t deserve the way Princess Celestia treated me and you don’t deserve the way your mom treats you.” Sunset told Cornelia.

“She’s that sun princess, right?” Cornelia asked.

“Something like that, yeah. I tried to prove that I was worthy of her love for years as she said she would be my mom when she found me. Instead, all she did was push me away and punish me whenever things happened that weren’t my fault. Especially if a noble’s family was involved. She would never give me a chance to explain and finally told me that she didn’t have a family and couldn’t have a family after telling me on and off that she was my mother.” Sunset said, holding back tears and she told Cornelia about one of the most painful memories in her life next to Anon-A-Miss. “Then she brought in a complete stranger who she happily had her calling herself Auntie. That was one of the most painful, humiliating moments in my life. I know she wasn’t my birth mother, but I can understand a little of what you are going through.”

“It didn’t matter if she was your birth mother or not, that was a crappy thing to do.” Cornelia growled.

“Well, it was a crappy thing that your mother did to you.” Sunset said, “What your mother did was even worse. She didn’t just smack you, she jumped on top of you and started beating you! Why didn’t you let me help?”

“Because some part of me still loves my mother and I don’t want to see her killed.” Cornelia sighed, “I really appreciate you trying though, thank you.”

“Wait, you think I would have hurt your mom?” Sunset asked in shock.

“No, but Shagon might have if my mom went to slap you. She’s a normal human and wouldn’t survive one of his direct attacks.” Cornelia said, “I didn’t see him, but I know he is watching out for you.”

“Okay, I can understand that.” Sunset sighed.

“Can you believe how horrified she was though? That was priceless!” Cornelia giggled as she pulled back away from Sunset. “I’ve never seen her that scared since the last time the credit card machines were down.”

“Alright, that sounds like an interesting story.” Sunset giggled.

“Thanks, Sunset.” Cornelia sighed, wiping the tears from her eyes. “This actually helped.”

“Cornelia, what happened wasn’t your fault. Not Will’s, and not your mom’s.” Sunset asserted, feeling a little like a hypocrite as she believed she just hadn’t been good enough for Celestia. After seeing what happened first hand with Cornelia, she was starting to think differently as she didn’t see how Cornelia could be at fault from what happened. And if it wasn’t Cornelia’s fault, maybe what happened with Celestia wasn’t Sunset’s fault.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b and Friday Dec 23 c, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals to the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.