• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Monday Dec 26 a

Cornelia was actually feeling a little giddy as both Susan and Sunset supported her with her plans. It was the first time family actually supported her like this, despite the two not truly her family, or at least not yet. Elizabeth had threatened to disown her the last time she brought up wanting to change her style as the woman more or less pushed her ideas of how she should look onto Cornelia. Harold was too much of a coward to stand up to his wife to support Cornelia, usually only stepping up to protect her when it looked like things were getting out of hand. While she did appreciate that and loved her dad, even if he truly wasn’t her father by blood, a part of her hated him for letting Elizabeth run wild through their home. And Lillian, the girl did love Cornelia, but there was nothing she could have really done for Cornelia other than what she did, being there for her when needed. True the sisters bickered at times, a lot more than they should have, but they did love each other.

Now she was armed with several gift cards and an allowance Susan had given her combined with the Christmas money she had. It was more than enough to do what she planned, and she was eager to get started. Finding the salon in the mall, she was able to actually get right in thanks to a couple of cancellations. So it was a short time later that she stepped out with some of her hair missing and kept it long, but not insanely so like her mother had pushed her to keep it as. She loved her long hair, but when it was as long as it was before it was a pain to take care of. She now sported pink streaked into the bottom half of her hair leaving it look a lot like one of her favorite comic book characters.

As she browsed through one of the clothing stores nearby she was lucky to find some of what she was looking for pretty quickly. She bought a few pairs of black shorts, black sports bras, a couple zip up hoodies that were pink, and black boots that came just under her knees. She paid for her items and headed to the most likely place to have the last item on her list, the store that had all of that pop and fantasy stuff. She was lucky to find what she was looking for right as she entered the store. And they even had several of them in her size so she grabbed one to get a better look at it, the midriff bearing a white top with pink hems and a large pink spider across the chest. After she took her purchases to the restroom and changed, she headed back out wondering if she should take up the drums. Of course she was also nervous others would make fun of her for dressing as Gwen Stacey, but she didn’t really care at the moment. She was finally free to do what she wanted and she intended to enjoy it.

“Cornelia?” A voice gasped, surprising the girl. Turning to find the voice, Cornelia came face to face with Irma. “Wow girl, looking good!”

“You think? It isn’t too much?” Cornelia asked, all of a sudden feeling a little self conscious.

“I think you look great! Are you here alone?” Irma asked.

“Yeah, Mo-Ms. Vandom had some things she had to take care of and Sunset said she needed a little time to think.” Cornelia sighed. “She loaned me one of her cars since her other was dropped off this morning after it got fixed.”

“Want me to help carry this out? Maybe we can hang out if you want? Hay Lin should be coming soon.” Irma asked.

“That would be great, thank you.” Cornelia said, giving her friend a bright smile.


Sunset was still trying to figure out how she should feel about the news that her old life’s father was wanting to meet her and maybe get to know each other. It worried her a little as he knew about magic and she was worried he may have had an ulterior motive in wanting to meet. What if he wanted to blackmail her into using her magic for something nefarious? She would never give into that, and if he threatened her family she would make sure he never got another chance again. She would never kill him of course, but she couldn’t say the same for the things in the Everfree.

“I’m glad I found you, Sunset!” Susan called from across the street, the woman waving as she ran over to join the teen.

“What’s wrong, mom?” Sunset asked, seeing that Susan seemed to be worked up about something. “Did you get everything done?”

“Yep, all’s done. Though I do have a surprise for you!” Susan beamed, taking Sunset’s hand and pulling her along.

“You don’t have to rush so fast, mom!” Sunset giggled, hurrying to keep pace before noticing the bracelet she had on this morning was missing. “What happened to your bracelet?”

“Huh? My bracelet?” Susan asked, a little confused. “Oh! My arm was getting sore so I had to take it off for a little bit.”

“I’m sorry, maybe it was the gems touching your skin.” Sunset sighed, never thinking about that. Twilight and Martin made sure they were smooth and barely moved past the metal so it shouldn’t have bothered her, but some people are just more prone to minor irritants than others. While it felt like nothing was off with the bracelet when she tried it on, her mother may have felt differently.

“Probably, anyways we are almost there!” Susan said, sounding a little more enthusiastic than usual. Sunset followed her into the area near the mall with all of the construction where there were two men with pale, maybe blonde hair waiting there at the center. It was hard to tell the actual color as it seemed to be shifting with the angle of the sun.

“Don’t you dare Susan!” A red haired man screamed angrily coming from the opposite way just as Susan pushed Sunset towards the two men, hands on her shoulders a little too tight.

“Remember our deal?” Susan asked with a smirk, Sunset not liking the look of it as she looked back over her shoulder at the woman.

“Of course. Cedric, if you would.” One of the two men said, the other smirking. As soon as Tony was between them, the man called Cedric drove his hand through Tony’s chest making blood splatter across Sunset’s face causing the girl to freeze in horror.

“You might want to say goodbye to your father honey, then again you will be joining him soon.” Susan snarled, clutching Sunset’s shoulders tighter.

“Get away from her!” A bald man snarled, stepping out of a portal before waving his hand and knocking the two men and Susan away from Tony and Sunset.

“Tony?” Sunset sobbed, falling to her knees and crawling over to the red haired man.

“I’m so sorry.” The man said sadly, holding his hands in the air and creating a purple barrier that was mostly see through. Cedric had changed into a large green naga with yellow stripes and a red natural face mask. He was slamming his fist into the barrier over and over again, making the barrier waver. The bolts of energy from the other man added to the effect as they struck the dome faster and faster.

“What’s going on?” Sunset asked in disbelief.

“I’m sorry, my child, I arrived too late.” The bald man sighed. “Forgive me, I am the Oracle of Kandrakar, its elected leader. I learned of a plot by that woman to trade you to Prince Phobos and Cedric so they could get the Heart of Kandrakar in exchange for killing that man and a place at his side when they recapture Meridian.”

“My mom would never do that!” Sunset seethed, “They must be controlling her mind. They did it before.”

“I’m sorry, child, but I’m not so sure. I don’t feel any enchantments placed on Ms. Vandom. Where are the other guardians? I’m not strong enough to keep them at bay much longer. If we are to save Mr. Vandom there, we need to finish this quickly!” The Oracle grunted as he struggled to keep the barrier going.

“They aren’t here, I can handle them though!” Sunset snarled as she stood up.

“While I admire your bravery child, this is a match up you can’t hope to win on your own. Phobos has the ability to absorb any magic thrown at him and redirect it back at you.” The Oracle groaned, “There might be one chance though, if you could overload Phobos to the point of overpowering his ability, we might have a chance.”

“So I just need to change and keep zapping him?” Sunset asked, pulling the Heart out ready to transform.

“It wouldn’t be enough power, you would have to go full elemental to have full access to your true power.” The Oracle grunted as he nearly fell to a knee from the last combined strike of the two as Susan was screaming obscenities at Sunset, calling her barnyard trash.

“How do I do that?” Sunset asked after a few moments. She couldn’t help worrying about Susan and Tony as the man lay dying and the woman she had come to love as a mother was trying her best to tear her down. She had to believe that it was mind control, but she didn’t sense any spells like that on her. Sunset could sense some kind of magic around her, but the barrier seemed to be making it hard to trace just what it was.

“While I don’t condone this, desperate times call for desperate measures. Go into your first guardian form as your second form blocks this power. Then use all of your emotions including your dark ones, your fears and hate, your anger at any betrayals you feel. Your rage at what is going on around you and focus on it. Concentrate on pushing it into your magic and push your magic past your limits. Let yourself feel the pure energy of quintessence in you and become one with it.” The Oracle hurriedly explained.

Sunset didn’t want to admit it, but she was scared. She was scared that she was going to lose the father she just met. She was scared that maybe the last week had all been a lie, though she truly didn’t want to believe that. She was scared of admitting that she just may be in over her head as she felt her magic just barely and had a strong feeling that those two men out there had somehow come up with a way to block her magic. Or maybe it was Phobos himself if he could really absorb magic which would possibly be affecting her already.

“Don’t Sunset! Just…run…please!” Tony gasped out.

Shutting her eyes, a few tears dripped out as she shakily held out the Heart and sobbed out, “Guardians unite!” Soon after the change, Sunset flew towards the two men and threw the largest lightning bolt she could at the two. The man held up his hand and absorbed the attack while chuckling. Sunset didn’t even have a chance to respond when a large tail curtsey of Cedric slammed into her sending her flying several feet and crashing into the ground hard.

“Thanks for the snack, guardian.” Phobos laughed as he sent a bolt of energy at Sunset making her scream in pain as it struck her.

“You have to focus on your feelings and accept the change!” The Oracle called out as Sunset climbed to her feet.

“Why?” Sunset sobbed out, “Why does everyone betray ME?!”

Wind started churning around Sunset wildly as her body started to flicker, changing from a pink energy form in the shape of a human and back. With one final sob energy exploded outward and Sunset was left standing there at nine feet tall as a feminine shaped being of energy.

“You did it, guardian.” The Oracle said in a sad voice, looking around at the devastation around him. “You did it.”

Sunset didn’t say anything or move as she just floated there, no other people were left standing there other than the Oracle and herself. Waving a hand, a portal appeared and he motioned for the large woman to go through, which she did. Moments later the man followed through and the portal closed as Nerissa and the rest of her group appeared there.

“We’re too late!” Yan Lin sobbed out as she dropped to her knees.

“Not yet we aren’t, right Rissy?” Cassidy asked, kneeling down to hug the sobbing woman.

“Right you are Cassidy. We have a few preparations to make, then we can go get our little firecracker back.” Nerissa said.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b, Friday Dec 23 c, and the Saturday Dec 24 j as they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals to the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.