• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Saturday Dec 24 i

“What about Will?” Susan asked nervously, looking over to Sunset who had a deer caught in the headlights expression. She wasn’t sure what to tell the man as she didn’t want to upset Sunset, or break her confidence and trust.

“I have to tell you something that I believe Will was involved in this along with Cornelia and my daughter.” Tom sighed, giving a questioning look to Susan while flicking his eyes towards Sunset with the same look. “I’m not sure how much of my suspicions are true, but I have a strong feeling they are.”

“Don’t worry, Sunset knows everything.” Susan said, “A lot more than me actually.”

“So you both know about magic?” Tom asked, earning a nervous giggle from Sunset.

“What’s so funny?” Tom asked, turning his attention to the teen.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. I think with everything happening, it’s finally catching up. To ask if I know about magic though is like asking if a fish knows about water.” Sunset giggled again, trying to regain control of herself.

“I have a feeling I shouldn’t ask.” Tom groaned. “I guess I’ll just come out and say it, I think the girls got involved with this magic police force called the guardians and Will might be trapped in another world, or…”

“Dead?” Susan asked, letting out a long drawn out sigh. Just what was she supposed to say? Her friend deserved to know the truth, and while they weren’t as close as she was with Velvet’s family, he was the only other parent other than Hay Lin that kept in touch with her often.

“I hate to even suggest it, but if what I suspect is true, then it’s a very good possibility. My aunt died for the leaders of these guardians for no real reason.” Tom explained.

“Will’s gone and she isn’t coming back.” Sunset sighed, earning a shocked look from Tom and supportive glances from the other two women in the room.

“Are you from one of those other worlds?” Tom asked, a little hesitant as he was unsure if he was ready to meet beings from an actual other planet.

“I spent half of my life on another world after I guess was a wish I made in a past life that sent me back in time with a new body.” Sunset sighed, avoiding the look in his eyes. “I was originally born as Wilhelmina Vandom.”

“You’re Will?” Tom asked, taking a step towards her. “How? Why do you look so different?”

“I guess defeating Phobos and Cedric impressed the spirits enough to grant me a wish, I just wish they would talk to me now.” Sunset sighed, “It’s a long story.”

“But you really are Will?” Tom asked, Sunset hesitantly nodding, getting the man to hug her tight. “I was so worried about you, I felt like a failure when we couldn’t find you.”

“I’m so sorry, Tom. I should have told you, I just didn’t know you knew anything about magic.” Susan sighed, putting a hand on his shoulder as he stepped back from Sunset and wiped at his eyes.

“I understand, I’m just happy to know little Will is okay.” Tom said with a watery smile. “Anna will be thrilled, if it’s okay to tell her I guess.”

“Anna knows about magic?” Susan asked, a little shocked that yet another person knew about magic. Was she the last person to learn about this stuff and what her daughter once did?

“Yeah, but we never expected the girls to get involved with it. Especially at that age.” Tom grumped, crossing his arms.

“We didn’t exactly ask for it.” Cornelia sighed, “We didn’t really deserve the powers the way we acted when things got out of hand.”

“What do you mean?” Susan asked.

“It’s okay, Cornelia, it’s in the past so don’t worry about it.” Sunset said, moving to put a hand on the blonde’s shoulder who was fighting tears.

“Phobos kidnapped Elyon and I freaked out and blamed it on Will. The last time I saw her I said some horrible things that I would do anything to go back in time to take back.” Cornelia said, shaking a little as she fought from breaking down and crying. “It was my fault what happened to Will!”

“No it wasn’t, Cornelia.” Sunset consoled the girl, pulling the blonde into a full hug and rubbing circles in the girl’s back. “You can blame Phobos, or you can blame the people in charge of Kandrakar, but it wasn’t fair to expect a bunch of preteen girls to run around fighting monsters and sealing portals.”

“She’s right honey.” Susan said as she joined in on the hug, bringing both girls into her arms. “What was expected of you girls was unfair.”

“I guess I should get going then. But I do want updates on what we talked about earlier.” Tom said, giving a sad smile to the three women.

“Thanks, Tom. I’ll let you know.” Susan assured him.

“Good, because I will be helping with whatever you need. I intend to make sure all the girls are safe.” Tom said, nodding at them. “I hope you ladies have a good night, and a Merry Christmas.”

“You too, Tom.” Susan said.

“Thanks, Mr. Lair, you too.” Cornelia managed to get out between hiccups.

“You too. And tell Irma Merry Christmas from us.” Sunset said.


Tom wasn’t really sure what to think about what he learned, and he really wanted to find out more. It was Christmas Eve though and he could see that the girls were in pain and he didn’t want to add to it by dragging even more painful memories up. He could find out more later, but he did intend to do everything he could to help the three of them. Right now though, he had a daughter to grill.

The drive home didn’t take too long, which he was thankful for as his nerves were becoming rather frayed. He was happy that Will was back, though he was dying to know the whole story, but she was back which meant his wife and him could relax a little more and be relieved that she was safe. They both loved Will dearly as the girl had spent so many nights with them before disappearing during her short tenure in Heatherfield.

Parking the car and heading inside he found Chris playing video games in the living room, the boy not realizing he was there as he was too focused on his game. Shaking his head in slight amusement while wondering what would happen if it was an intruder instead, Tom headed into the kitchen where Irma and Anna were enjoying some sugar cookies and milk. He had to smile at the scene as Irma never got along with Anna until Will disappeared, then his daughter one day came crying to his wife saying how sorry she was for treating her badly. Irma had said she wanted a better relationship with her stepmother and the two had quickly become closer.

“Hey ladies.” Tom greeted them, leaning over to kiss his wife on the cheek and grab a cookie from the plate.

“Hi honey.” Anna relied, patting his cheek before he straightened up.

“Hi daddy, what did you want to talk about?” Irma asked nervously.

“There are so many things, honey. First, why didn’t you call me and tell me about what happened with Cornelia?” Tom asked, taking a seat next to Irma and giving her a stern, yet loving look.

“W-what do you mean?” Irma asked, looking down at the table. Tom reached over and gently placed a finger under her chin and tipped it up so they could look each other in the eyes.

“Sweetie, please don’t lie about anything. I already know it all from what Elizabeth did to Cornelia, to the whole guardian thing.” Tom sighed, seeing the tears start to well up in the girl’s eyes.

“Wait, that group you said your aunt was a member of?” Anna asked, worry entering her voice.

“Yeah, and apparently the idiots in charge dumped the responsibility onto five girls who were barely into their teens.” Tom growled out.

“What happened to Cornelia?” Anna asked.

“Her mom caught us hanging out with Sunset and Twilight today.” Irma said, licking her lips as she felt them dry all of a sudden. Her mouth felt so dry as well as she tried to figure out what to say. She was nervous of what her parents were going to say or think. “She…she beat up Cornelia.”

“I’m calling child services!” Anna snarled as she went to get up, stopped by Tom’s hand on her arm as he shook his head.

“It’s taken care of for now, honey.” Tom sighed, “I guess I understand why you kept it secret that you were a guardian, though I can’t help feeling a little hurt that you didn’t feel you could come to us. Or even to me.”

“I’m sorry dad, we were so excited at first. Or at least some of us were until the reality of it came crashing down. Some of us got scared, really scared, but we didn’t know what to do. As far as we knew magic wasn’t real, and all of a sudden we had it and yet we couldn’t tell our parents because of our supposed duty. I’m sorry dad, I’m sure you wouldn’t be happy when I was running out of the house and saying that I was going to save the world.” Irma explained softly.

“Irma, you need to understand something very important. I love you. You are my daughter, and I am very proud of the young woman you are becoming. I will be here for you for anything, please don’t ever hide something this important from me again, Okay?” Tom said, reaching out to put his hand over his daughter’s.

“Okay daddy.” Irma said, smiling a little realizing she had been a little foolish worrying about if her father would accept the magical side of her.

“Now, about Will.” Tom said, giving both his daughter and wife an encouraging smile. “I don’t know the whole story yet, I thought it best to leave Susan and the girls to deal with everything that has happened today. I know that somehow she got a wish and somehow became Sunset.”

“That girl you met at the mall?” Anna asked, a little shocked. “The one Susan took in?”

“Yeah, Will found her way back home.” Tom replied.

“Oh, thank god!” Anna choked out, covering her mouth as her eyes watered a little. She cared a lot for the somewhat shy spitfire that wormed her way into their hearts in such a short time.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b, and Friday Dec 23 c, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals to the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.