• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Friday Dec 23 d

“I don’t think I like the idea of you going to a whole different universe, what if something happens? How would I reach you?” Susan asked, hugging Sunset tightly in the middle of the lab while Twilight was at the other end holding several sensors to record whatever data they could glean from what was about to happen.

“Relax mom, Equestria is the safest place you could be. Nothing ever really happens there.” Sunset assured her.

In another world, Princess Twilight Sparkle looked up from the book she was studying in the Canterlot Forbidden Archives at the behest of Princess Celestia, the alicorn princess sneezing loudly. After blinking a few times she grumbled, “Somepony must be talking about me.”

Back in the lab Susan stepped back from her daughter, more than a little uneasy at the fact her daughter would be somewhere she couldn’t get to if something happened. She wouldn’t know if her daughter was hurt, or got into some kind of trouble. “I still don’t like this, but I’ll trust you. I do expect to be taken there sometime soon to see this place that you grew up in.” And to have a long talk with a certain pony.

“I think we would all like to go, but we understand that too many of us at the same time might be a bad idea.” Twilight said, “Anyways, I’m ready when you are.”

“I am too.” Martin confirmed from his side of the room.

“Well then, I’ll be back soon.” Sunset said, changing into her guardian form and once again creating a rift into Equestria. As she stepped through she was a little surprised to find herself in front of a large crystalline tower, one of the spires being the one she spotted last time letting her know she was in Ponyville. Closing the portal, Sunset flew over to the door and hovered there trying to decide what to do. The castle was pretty big, she figured the doors would actually look intimidating to most ponies, but to her they just looked slightly larger than normal. As she tried to decide on proper etiquette in this situation, the door swung open and a baby dragon stood there looking up at Sunset.

“You don’t see that everyday.” Spike said, earning a giggle from Sunset.

“Hey Spike, Twi around?” Sunset asked, earning a sad shake of the head from the dragon.

“I’m afraid not, Princess Celestia sent a message that sounded urgent earlier and she took the girls to see what was going on. She did leave this bag for you.” Spike explained, pulling a large bag for his size and offered it to her. “She said to give these to you She spent a large part of the morning enchanting the one in the smaller bag inside to your specifications to help out. The others are extras that she said to give you to experiment with in order to pay for the thing you gave her yesterday.”

“Thanks Spike.” Sunset sighed, feeling a little let down that she wouldn’t be able to visit her friend. She thought about just taking the smaller bag inside, but knew Twilight wouldn’t be too happy about that. Looking inside she saw a handful of large fire rubies that to the baby dragon would look humongous. Taking one of them she tossed it to the dragon that barely caught it.

“What’s this for?” Spike asked.

“You like fire rubies, don’t you?” Sunset smirked.

“Oh wow, thank you Sunset!” Spike cried out as he hugged Sunset’s leg. She reached down and patted his head and gave him a warm smile as he stepped back.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming little guy.” Sunset smiled.

“You too, or Merry Christmas, Sunset.” Spike said, waving goodbye as he ducked back inside, sucking on his ruby as he shut the door. With a giggle, Sunset flew back and reopened the portal to step through to the surprised looks of Twilight and Martin.

“Is there a time displacement or something? You were only gone for a few minutes.” Twilight asked, taking the bag from Sunset.

“Nope, Twilight got called away for something.” Sunset sighed.

“That’s going to get confusing pretty quick.” Martin laughed as he joined his girlfriend to inspect the gems. “These will be perfect, and we will have so many left over to study and experiment with. Too bad we couldn’t write a thesis on this, we would be famous.”

“Our friends are more important.” Twilight said, “Wow, never thought I’d say that.”

“Well, your friends appreciate the sentiment.” Sunset said, hugging Twilight. “I’m going to let mom know I’m back.”

Thankfully, they had all the gems that Martin suggested they add to the original design and most were already cut perfectly except for a couple. Twilight had said she knew somebody who could get them cut rather quickly in the morning before they came over, which Sunset was thankful for. Bidding them a goodnight, and after sharing a nice dinner with her mother, the two decided to turn into bed for the night after the exhausting day.


Luna was a little too anxious as she ate breakfast with her sister’s dinner. Celestia had been a little subdued all day, which worried Luna a little. But the solar princess had assured her that Sunset wasn’t somepony to worry about. Keeping her opinion on the matter to herself, they enjoyed a mostly quiet meal together before Celestia set the sun for the day and went to bed freeing Luna up to enact her plan she thought about all day.

After making sure the night sky was perfect, Luna returned to her quarters leaving explicit instructions that she was not to be bothered by anypony unless it was a true emergency. Getting settled in, she closed her eyes and let her body rest as she entered into the astral plane and navigated her way to Twilight’s castle where only Spike was at, already asleep in his bed holding a half eaten fire ruby. Traversing the large crystalline structure Luna quickly found what she was looking for, the journal that was the key to the human world. She didn’t really hate the species, but she despised any of them that aligned with Kandrakar. Their betrayal still hurt her deeply, his betrayal really. The one person who Luna once thought would be there for her through anything.

Using her magic, she synched up with the signature of the book and followed it to its match in the other world. It was something that was a little more draining than she anticipated, as she had to force her way through the link and not the portal itself. Thankfully it was just her astral form which was linked to the dream realm which actually connected multiple worlds and dimensions if you knew how to traverse it. If it was her physical form, she never would have been able to do something like this. She still didn’t understand how that girl was able to, as Equestria was still sealed off. Other than the portal, it would take the Elements of Harmony themselves to open a gateway.

Finding herself the closest dream gate, she entered it and found it was just the person she was looking for. Sunset Shimmer was dreaming about the human versions of the element bearers yelling at her in some hallway lined with lockers. They were telling her how they should never have trusted her and that she was never their friend. Despite her own mistrust of this girl, she couldn’t bring herself to let this go on. Using her magic, she was able to bend the dream away from them tormenting the poor girl to them laughing and enjoying donuts at Donut Joe’s. Luna couldn’t hide the smirk at seeing how weird it was to see the humans sitting at a table surrounded by ponies.

Turning from the dream, Luna did something she rarely ever did as she considered it a huge invasion of privacy. The last time she had used it was before Nightmare Moon, back when she used the skill more often on nobles who she was sure were plotting things. Since dreams are a part of the subconscious, she was able to burrow a little deeper to access memories and actually view them and see the truth of someone’s character.

Luna floated around in something that seemed like space, little balls of light floating around which held memories of this girl’s past. Something worried Luna though as where all the orbs should be lit up, there were plenty that were dim with cracks and a few more that were just black with no light coming from them at all. It made Luna worry about the girl’s mental state as this was bad, very bad. It also made her wonder if maybe this girl was just another victim of that despicable piece of filth.

Floating over to one, she took it gently in her hooves and peered into it. She was careful not to damage the fragile orb as doing so could hurt a person’s psyche and Luna did not want that on her hooves. If it came down to it, she would confront the girl directly.

“Hello there, my little pony. Do you know who I am?” Princess Celestia asked, nuzzling a very young amber filly with a fiery mane.

“No, but you’re really pretty.” The filly said innocently, looking up in awe from the bed she was laying in. The room looked to be a private medical one that was from the castle.

“Thank you sweetie, you know you are very pretty yourself. My name is Princess Celestia, can you tell me what your name is?” Celestia asked, earning a wide eyes look from the filly as she looked awestruck.

“You’re really a princess?” The filly gasped out, almost falling back over from her now sitting position.

“Indeed I am, little one. We need to know your name so we can find your parents.” Celestia said, wincing when the filly eyes started filling with tears after sitting quietly for a few moments.

“I…I don’t know my name.” The filly sobbed out, “Where is my mommy?”

“What does your mommy look like?” Celestia asked kindly, ears folding back as the filly’s sobs grew louder.

“I DON’T KNOW!” The filly cried loudly burying her face in her forehooves.

“Shhh, it's okay my little pony.” Celestia soothed as she pulled the filly close to her with a wing. “Until we find your mommy, I will take care of you. You have very powerful magic, much more powerful than anything I’ve seen in a long time. What if I make you my student?”

“Does that mean you will be my mommy?” The filly asked, quieting down a little.

“In a way, I suppose it does.” Celestia said, her face clearly showing a nervous expression.

“But what about my name?” the filly sniffled.

“Well, you have a sun for a cutie mark and I found you during sunset.” Celestia mused, tapping a hoof to her chin, “The way your eyes are shimmering too, I think your name could be…Sunset Shimmer.”

“I like that name.” Sunset grinned, a look of confusion quickly taking its place. “What’s a cutie mark?”

Pulling back, Luna couldn’t deny the fact that Sunset was so sincere in the memory, and she couldn’t help thinking it was actually kind of sweet, if sad. This wasn’t a memory of an agent of Kandrakar or somebody who aligned themselves with that thing. No, this was an innocent filly that somehow lost her family. “Could we have been wrong about this girl?”

The more Luna thought about it the more something was bothering her. She was so wrapped up in her pain and anger that she kept overlooking something that didn’t make sense. Something that pointed to that man no longer being a part of Kandrakar which was making her wonder if maybe they finally looked past their noses and saw that monster for what he truly was and punished him for his sins? If he was still a part of Kandrakar, then Sunset would not have the Heart of Kandrakar.

Moving to another orb, she once again carefully peered into it. She couldn’t help feeling a little frustration for the poor filly who was clearly a little older as she sat dejected looking at the ground as Celestia stood tall over her keeping an eye on a couple mares not far away sending Sunset dirty looks.

“As my student, you must refrain from this type of boorish actions that get you in trouble. Do you know how long it is going to take that poor filly to regrow her mane?” Celestia scolded, the filly looking more and more dejected by the second.

“She’s the one who-” Sunset started, only to be cut off before she could get anything else out.

“Sunset, your actions reflect on me as a princess. You are held up to a higher standard than the rest of the nobles and commoners attending my school. A few words isn’t going to hurt you, but a fireball could have seriously hurt somepony more than just burning their mane off.” Celestia stiffly said.

“But Celestia-” Sunset once again tried to explain.

“Princess Celestia. Now go to your chambers and reflect on your actions. I won’t be teaching you anything more until you are allowed to return to classes.” Celestia said, turning around and stiffly trotted off.

“At least she’s keeping that little monster at hoof’s length.” One of the mares chuckled, glaring at the crying filly.

“I still don’t see how trash like that gets to be her student. Can you imagine if the princess actually adopted street trash like that?” The second mare snorted.

“My husband said if she gets much closer to the princess, something might happen to the little freak.” The first mare said, uncaring that Sunset could hear everything as she cried harder.

“You mean kill her? I doubt anypony would miss her and maybe then the princess would see just how special our children are. They deserve her attention more than her.” The second mare tittered.

Sunset couldn’t take anymore and ran all the way from the front hall of the school where the headmare called Celestia in to deal with what had happened. It was five bullies ganging up on her and were going to attack her, and no pony would listen to her. She was only defending herself and now all she felt was pain and betrayal from the pony she saw as a mother.

Luna wiped a tear from her eye as she moved away from the orb, she could feel every emotion from the filly. She was feeling so much pain from that, but at the same time so much confusion as she loved the princess so much and saw her as a mother. With a shuddering sigh she floated over to another orb, unsure if she wanted to see any more. She silently hoped that this one would show her sister in a better light.

“Denied!” Celestia barked out at one of the petitioners to the court, guards lined up both sides of the aisle as a noble had been begging for permission to buy out the parcel of land that he wanted to build a new mansion on. It held an orphanage on it though and Celestia wasn’t going to let these entitled nobles displace several orphans just to build a bigger mansion because his current one wasn’t good enough. Court had already gone on for an hour longer than it should have, and Celestia was at her wit’s end with this idiot.

“Mom! I did it! I mastered teleportation!” Sunset cried excitedly as she popped in from nowhere, the spell obviously depositing the filly in front of the already agitated princess. The noble glared hatefully at the filly while several guards facehoofed.

“Sunset, I told you not to call me that!” Celestia snapped out, her glare switching from the filly back to the noble. “I’ve told you no several times already! If you bring this before me again I will dump you in the middle of the badlands with no provisions! Am I clear?”

“Very!” The noble squeaked out before running for his life.

“Sunset, I felt bad after last time so I let you call me mom in private.” Celestia scolded the now crying filly. “In. Private. Not in the middle of court like you just did.”

“But court was over an hour ago...” Sunset whined.

“Sunset.” Celestia sighed, taking a deep breath. “I’m sorry, I should have never let you call me mother in the first place. You are old enough to understand I am not your mother, and I can never be your mother. I am your teacher, and yes your guardian while you are here. I can not be a mother to you and it is about time you learned that lesson.”

“I’m sorry!’ Sunset wailed, and for a moment it looked like Celestia was going to go comfort her before looking at her gathered guards.

“I’m sorry, Sunset. That is final, lessons are canceled for today, so go try and make a few friends.” Celestia sighed.

“That’s all you ever say to do! You never even listen when I tell you they all hate me! The nobles look down on me and the rest just want to get close to you!” Sunset screamed in frustration.

“Don’t take that tone with me, I am trying my best with you!” Celestia snapped, “You know what, lessons are canceled for the rest of the week! Until you act your age and your status, you can rely on your classes at the school.”

“Fine!” Sunset snapped out, teleporting away leaving a few sparkles in the air that were her tears falling to the ground.

Sunset wasn’t the only one frustrated, Luna’s own was growing very much so herself. She loved her sister dearly, but even she could see Sunset was acting beyond her age in that memory. Floating over to another, she took it in her hooves and hoped beyond hope for some better memories.

“Hi, my name is Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, but you can call me Cadence. What’s yours?” A pink pony asked happily, if shyly as she shifted nervously in front of Sunset. Apparently Sunset was to meet Celestia here for their lessons today, she wasn’t expecting another pony to be there. Much less a princess.

“I’m Sunset Shimmer, I’m sorry but this room is reserved this afternoon for my lessons with the Princess.” Sunset said, trying to be at least polite as the pony didn’t seem shifty or hateful at all, unlike the rest of the nobles.

“That’s weird, Auntie Celestia told me to meet her here.” Cadence said, shocking Sunset a little.

“You don’t want to call her that, she says she can’t have any family.” Sunset sighed sadly.

“Greetings my little ponies, I’m happy to see you both getting along.” Celestia said as she came into the room.

“Hi, Auntie Celestia.” Cadence chirped, obviously happy to see Celestia.

“I hope you are getting settled in, dear.” Celestia said, giving the pink alicorn a large smile.

“Wait, she gets to call you Auntie?” Sunset asked, eyes narrowing.

“Of course, she is my niece.” Celestia said, giving Sunset a shocked look.

“You said you can’t have a family!” Sunset snapped out, giving a death glare to the new alicorn.

“Now Sunset, settle down.” Celestia said, her tone becoming stern.

“Settle down?” Sunset laughed bitterly, “I have every right to be upset! So this pink menace comes in and after one day gets to call you Auntie while I’ve been here for years and I get scolded because I called you mom?”

“Sunset, it isn’t like that! And I demand that you stop acting like this and apologize to Cadence!” Celestia said, becoming demanding by the end.

“I’m going back to my room, you can play house with that pink thief all you want!” Sunset sobbed out as she teleported away.

Luna couldn’t believe how much hope Sunset seemed to exude when she first met Cadence only for it to be crushed and replaced by anger and resentment. Luna had a bad feeling that this is where Sunset started down a path of darkness much like the lunar princess once did. The thought bothered Luna very much as she realized those feelings were what she was feeling in overwhelming amounts all that time ago. Still, she pressed on and sought out another orb.

“I showed you the mirror in hopes of curbing your growing negative attitude, Sunset.” Celestia snapped as she glared at Sunset who lay on the floor with several books and a candle in the restricted section of the archives. “You have gone too far this time!

“This book says you could have helped me become an alicorn!” Sunset screamed as she threw the open book at Celestia, who deflected it with a little magic.

“If you accepted Harmony, then someday you could have been on the path to earn your wings.” Celestia sighed heavily.

“You just didn’t want to help me, admit it! You never even really wanted me, after all the princess couldn’t be bothered loving a street rat!” Sunset screamed.

“Who ever said I didn’t love you?” Celestia asked softly, realization flashing through her eyes.

“If you attack the princess brat, I’ll personally toss you out of the castle!” One of the guards said, a mare that actually sounded like the princes a little bit. It was the last words Sunset focused on though, words that to the filly sounded as if they came from Celestia’s own mouth.

“Who would want trash like me when they could have Cadence, huh?” Sunset sobbed before teleporting to her room where she grabbed a few things and stuffed them into her saddlebag. While for most ponies it would be impossible to teleport in restricted rooms in the castle thanks to the warding spells, Sunset was a prodigy and had the raw power to overpower such minor inconveniences. With a pop, she appeared before the mirror where she stopped for a moment seeing Celestia’s reflection on the surface as the princess stood behind her.

“Sunset, wait!” Celestia pleaded.

“I’ll find a way to prove that I’m worthy of being a princess! That I’m worthy of love!” Sunset promised before jumping through the mirror just as it closed.

Luna couldn’t hold in her own tears, she felt the immense pain Sunset was in. In hopes of finding something to show good memories, Luna found very little of those. There were good times Celestia shared with the poor filly, but the longer Sunset stayed under the princess’s care the fewer they became. She finally found some happiness weeks after what happened at that fall formal event. It was small things at first, but finally the battle of the bands happened and Sunset finally felt as if she had found love. A family.

She also regained the Heart of Kandrakar meaning that at one point in time Sunset was once one of them. Questions were how and when? The earliest memories Sunset had was meeting Celestia which meant the cracked and blacked out memories were the when. Something must have destroyed or sealed those memories as Luna couldn’t see into any of those orbs.

As for the happiness found, Anon-A-Miss tore it all a part and Sunset once again lost her family. Luna couldn’t believe how much pain the poor girl went through during it and how those other children could be so cruel to her. The same way Luna was so tempted to be cruel to her because of her association with a place she obviously knew so little about. At least the girl was now in a happier place after being reunited with Susan and Luna finally came to the part of what happened. It made Luna fume as she always knew Kandrakar used young people to do their dirty work, but this was unacceptable to her.

“I thought I sensed a filthy barnyard beast here.” A male voice snarled before Luna’s world erupted in pain.

“You!” Luna panted, seeing the monster she hated more than anything before her. Even with the shadows cloaking him and hiding his identity to the point of looking like a grim reaper, she knew him.

“I guess I should thank you as I couldn’t find this filthy little thing’s dreamscape without you.” The man laughed darkly, “So much pain in her life, I won’t even have to do much to push her over the edge and into my control.”

“Don’t you even dare lay a finger on this child!” Luna growled out, her wings splaying wide in an aggressive stance.

“With how beautiful you looked when we were together, I never dreamed you would be this disgusting when I learned of your true nature.” The man said in disgust, “To think I actually kissed you, proposed to you.”

“I wish I saw your true nature when we first met, you monster!” Luna snarled.

“Me, the monster? No my dear pony princess. You are the one who masqueraded as a human during the summit of worlds.” The man snarled.

“I’m not the one who was behind destroying a whole world of ponies!” Luna growled, tears forming at remembering one of Equestria’s sister worlds being destroyed. Luna knew this man was behind it, but she had no proof for the council of Kandrakar. In fact, she would have died, her powers sealed like all other delegates while on Kandrakar for safety precautions at the time, if not for Celestia storming in and stopping this man’s brutal assault on Luna. It was then that Celestia sealed off all equine worlds from Kandrakar before any other shared the same fate as that poor world did.

“Oh, are you still hung up on that? You know I was actually trying to get your world?” The man chuckled before Luna shot a powerful beam from her horn and blasted the man from Sunset’s dreamscape. A small whimper started Luna, turning around she couldn’t believe what she was looking at. It was a filly, yet different from Sunset, or at least partly so. The left side of the body had a peach colored coat matching that of a caucasian human while the right had the regular amber coat of Sunset Shimmer. The left side of the body though had a mane and tail that matched Sunset’s while the amber colored side had a pure red tail with the half of mane being much shorter. Finally, the left eye was cyan while the right was hazel.

“Who are you?” Sunset asked, the filly shaking a little in fright. Luna pulled the filly close with her wings and cuddled with her, calming her down.

“I’m Luna, a friend.” Luna said, earning a smile from the filly. She intended to shore up this girl’s dream world defenses to make sure that man couldn’t get back here too easily. Something told her that it wouldn’t need much as it felt like there was something blocking him from getting here normally, and something he said made her realize the only way he got in was because of her leading the way. She would need to have a long talk with her sister though as Luna did not like what she saw, not one bit. She would also have to decide what to do with that man as he didn’t seem to belong to Kandrakar anymore seeing that Sunset was in possession of the Heart, but she couldn’t be sure.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b and the newest one in Friday Dec 23 c, they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals t the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.