• Published 14th Jan 2023
  • 1,819 Views, 365 Comments

A Past Returned - TacoTues4Eva



A past Sunset doesn't remember comes searching for her, but will it be for the better or for the worse.

  • ...
5
 365
 1,819

Monday Dec 26 b

Sunset whimpered as she floated in a dark void, curled up in a fetal position as five orbs slowly spun around her and six small flames surrounded them, just floating there stationary. She felt as if she had lost everything while another part of her refused to believe that her mother would betray her. She didn’t want to believe the last week had been a lie, she refused to believe it…and yet, her father was killed and her mother betrayed her.

“Don’t believe everything you see and hear, child.” One of the orbs said, drawing Sunset’s attention to the spinning orbs.

“Who are you?” Sunset sniffed, looking up to watch the spinning orbs of light.

“We are the spirits of Kandrakar.” The orbs said together, before speaking separately.
“Quintessence.”

“Water.”

“Earth.”

“Air.”

“Fire.”

“We are the spirits of Harmony.” The flames intoned together before separately saying.

“Magic.”

“Laughter.”

“Kindness.”

“Generosity.”

“Honesty.”

“Loyalty.”

“Great, so now you deem it okay enough to actually speak to me after I lose everything!” Sunset snapped.

“It isn’t that we didn’t want to contact you, but rather we couldn’t. We kept your presence masked from prying eyes to try and give you time to understand your powers and hopefully become our avatar in seeking justice against those who have wronged Kandrakar and hurt so many others.” Quintessence explained. “Doing so had the unfortunate side effect of blocking us from actually calling you here to the astral plane to speak.”

“The only reason we were able to show anybody anything was because of us, and we only had enough power to do so a few times. If we were closer to Canterlot we may have been able to draw a little more power to do more, but we are unsure of that as this is unprecedented.” Magic said.

“Our powers have been sealed and severely limited thanks to the one who has abused our power and twisted our purpose to suit them.” Water explained.

“And we were with you trying to help you after you proved yourself a true friend of Harmony, facing off against the Sirens and freeing them from their curse.” Loyalty said.

“We merged with the crystal that is the Heart of Kandrakar to keep from fading as we are only a small part of the full spirits.” Honesty explained.

“If you wanted an avatar, why didn’t you ask Will to be it?” Sunset asked, “Or Nerissa?”

“Nerissa was set to become our avatar, but the betrayer stripped her of the Heart claiming she was unfit to carry it because of her growing dark feelings of jealousy over Cassidy.” Water said, a sadness in the spirit’s voice.

“It was a lie though, Nerissa was never jealous and she didn’t have those dark feelings.” Quintessence said.

“Instead, it was the betrayer who caused Cassidy’s death. Upon being spurned by Cassidy and knowing Nerissa was going to soon confront him, he plotted to make the former keeper look bad so he could keep her from becoming our avatar.” Fire said.

“I don’t understand, why don’t you just manifest yourselves if you are so powerful and face this betrayer on your own?” Sunset sniffled, glaring at the orbs.

“Because of our circumstances we can not easily manifest ourselves to speak with the keeper, much less physically to confront him.” Air said.

“Then how did you manifest for Will?” Sunset asked, uncurling a bit more.

“We wanted Will to be our avatar, but as usual the betrayer chose those who are too young to actually have the knowledge and experience needed to make wise decisions. And he made sure that Will would never gain the confidence or strength needed to become our avatar.” Quintessence explained. “She did however do what the betrayer wanted and access our pure elemental powers which would strip the guardian of all free will and sense of self. She didn’t have the strength to keep it up however, but the magic rich atmosphere of Meridian along with Will directly pushing herself to draw on that power gave us strength enough to manifest and try to save the child.”

“Save her?” Sunset gasped, her hands flying up over her mouth in horror at the implications.

“It is as you suspect, Will’s body wasn’t matured enough to handle all that power. Her magical pathways weren’t formed enough to handle even stage two of a guardian’s power, she had no chance to handle the amount of power she was calling on. It burned her out and she was dying when we offered her a wish.” Quintessence said.

“We felt the pain and guilt through the astral plane and spirit realms of the Spirits of Harmony and offered the child a place to go to fulfill the wish in order to save her. The magic from the Spirits of Kandrakar was on a completely different wavelength from Equestria, and caused a powerful magical spike so we had to improvise. We borrowed DNA from the solar princess in order to help stabilize young Will’s new form, but the spike had unintended side effects of shattering her memories. Some were locked up, yet others were damaged and beyond recovery.” Magic explained.

“We planned on recovering enough strength through our keeper which was still you, child. We would have had enough power to return on our own in a few years' time, but the solar princess feared what we represented, for good reason, and took us to study and make sure no harm would come to her little ponies. She planned on returning us not long before your self imposed exile back to Earth. We were lucky we were returned and you once again accepted us and became our keeper once more.” Earth said.

“I don’t understand why all of this though, why does this even have to be happening?” Sunset asked.

“Perhaps we should start at the beginning of everything.” Quintessence sighed, “While here, time moves very slowly so there is plenty of time to explain our history to you. In our beginning, Kandrakar was a world of its own and the Heart of Kandrakar was a nymph who loved her people, both noble and peasant alike. Her father had other ideas though, he hated anyone of lower birth and wasn’t very happy when the nymph chose a lowborn baker as her lover.”

“Despite the father’s feelings, the baker was a very good man and would do anything for those he loved. In a rage over his daughter’s supposed insolence, he locked her in a dungeon intent on keeping her there while he moved to kill the baker. The nymph’s four best friends and personal guards, the four elemental dragons, learned of this and moved to protect the baker. It was too late as the father had one of the most trusted advisors to execute the baker.” Earth said, “The advisor didn’t agree with the father though, so he took the baker’s apron and drenched it in blood to show proof of the baker’s death while telling the man to go and hide before the father personally came after him”

“The four dragons took him under their protection to hide him from the father, intent on saving the nymph as well so the two lovers could be together. They had no time though as the father was gloating over his daughter as she cried over the bloody apron, fearing the man she loved was gone. Not meaning to, the nymph let her heartbreak and rage take over and it tore the planet apart, leaving only the fortress and a few islands floating around it. The world’s atmosphere relied on magic so life could still survive on the fortress.” Air said, sadness in its voice.

“A few royal mages, the father and nymph, the four dragons, as well as the baker were the only survivors. The rest of the world and its inhabitants were erased from existence and the following months the reality of what happened and what caused it sunk into both the father and nymph. The father sought forgiveness and the daughter stayed in a state of depression as she had killed most of their planet. She realized that there would be no saving what was left of the world.” Fire said.

“The mages constructed gates to other worlds to search for a suitable world for the small group to escape to, yet in the end the father and daughter didn’t believe they deserved to escape from what was left of their shattered world. In the end, the daughter demanded to be sealed in an auramere to forever keep Kandrakar from falling the rest of the way while giving them a way to help others avoid their fate. The four dragons refused to let her do it alone and would also give their lives to help protect Kandrakar and the worlds around it.” Water said.

“The father gave up his life, as a blood sacrifice was needed to complete the ritual of turning the five into the power source to protect Kandrakar and create guardians to protect the planets. It was a huge undertaking, but the baker was entrusted with the original crystal heart that was directly connected with the aurameres. With the mages help, they rebuilt the damaged portions of the fortress making a safe haven for the aurameres. They created a council chamber with mirrors to anchor portals for each delegate and a box for each. They planned to make a peaceful place to help worlds avoid Kandrakar’s fate and a place to offer a trade of resources and other things.” Quintessence explained.

“One of the first delegates to join the new council was a wonderful woman from a world of warriors. While they did hone their skills constantly, the warriors still preferred peace above all else. The baker and the warrior eventually fell in love and had a child. A child they were very proud of at first, but the child became a spoiled girl that didn’t care when her mother became sick and when she was older, she killed her father, taking the Heart and making herself the first Oracle. Instead of doing what her father had planned and choosing a group from each world as guardians, the daughter hid away all of the crystal hearts and batteries, keeping only one set to create a group of enforcers to do her bidding.” Earth explained.

“While she didn’t fall in love, she did realize she would need an heir to carry on for her one day. An heir she could make just as corrupt as her. She helped her son in more than a few despicable things such as covering up the destruction of a world, abusing a then naïve, loving girl and killing their child, and so much more. As the delegation was finally coming to create a full council after, some of the misdeeds of the mother were discovered.” Air said.

“Two of her guardians betrayed her and her own son testified against her. The keeper at the time was fully devoted to whoever the leader was and didn’t care about justice or listening to our pleas to stop the mother. She didn’t start listening when the mother was imprisoned in a crystal in the underground thanks to the son’s testimony making it look as if he was innocent of everything. With the council believing the lies that were fed to them about a blood relative needing to control the power of Kandrakar, the son was named the new Oracle.” Water said.

“The son was worse than the mother as he had a talent for magic and research. He found out the reason the guardians were only granted a small amount of power at first. It takes time for a person’s body who doesn’t normally use magic to adjust to the new energy and mana pathways to form. He discovered the fact that if too much raw power is forced through the pathways while still in the first stage of power and before the mana pathways have stabilized enough to handle the higher levels of a guardian’s, the guardian will overload with their element and become a simple embodiment of power while losing all sense of self as the mind would be shattered by doing so.” Fire explained.

“For a few generations he experimented by always choosing young girls from Earth who barely had enough life experience to make mature choices. He made sure to keep the only active crystal heart on earth where magic was extremely weak, only found in decent amounts around the Heart of Gaea and Canterlot. He knew that if a keeper actually became stable enough and was accepted by the Heart as an avatar, they would put a stop to him. With the little magic on Earth, it wasn’t very possible for an avatar to come about and he only accepted the guardians into Kandrakar when he knew he was safe from retribution.” Quintessence explained.

“He finally made a mistake with Nerissa as their group managed to live longer than previous groups and Nerissa was becoming very close to the Heart and was getting ready to confront the Oracle on her own. His infatuation with Cassidy was his undoing as he let them live wanting to claim the woman as his own. She rejected every offer and he believed it was Nerissa’s fault. He decided to kill two birds with one stone and came to Earth and stripped Nerissa of the Heart claiming that she was letting negative emotions corrupt her and could no longer be its keeper.” Earth said.

“Nerissa went to meet Cassidy on Shell Beach, which was the group’s favorite meeting place. Cassidy was sitting up on a small cliff jutting out over the water and a few rocks below. She tried to warn Cassidy that something was wrong as she reached out for the heart. The rocks were slick though and Cassidy slipped and fell back off the cliffs, landing on a sharp rock below breaking her back and instantly dying.” Water said.

‘The others of the group arrived just in time to witness the tragedy, but from the angle they were at, it looked as if Nerissa pushed Cassidy. It was enough to convince them that Nerissa was really going down a dark path. While they argued against execution, they didn’t fight the claims that Nerissa needed punished.” Fire said. “She would be locked up and the Heart retired until the Oracle was ready to try making his soulless elementals again.”

“Then came Will…she was the perfect candidate for his experiment. She came from a place where her parents had divorced and her old friends made fun of her and belittled her constantly behind her back. Thanks to the Oracle awakening Will’s eternal gift, she was able to hear it all in her mind which broke her more. When she came to Heatherfield she was already nearly broken, but believed she made new friends. The Oracle couldn’t have her finding happiness though, so he controlled Dean’s mind and used him to seduce Susan. It wasn’t hard, the woman felt as if she failed her family, dividing her husband away and for the impact it had on her daughter. As soon as he had her alone, she told him that she couldn’t see him anymore as she learned he was one of Will’s teachers. Through him, the Oracle took control of her mind and drove a wedge between Susan and Will. And when Phobos managed to lure Elyon to him, I’m sure you know the rest.” Quintessence explained.

“Was he controlling my mom again?” Sunset asked shakily.

“No, your mother is safe and that was not her.” Quintessence replied, getting a shaking sob from Sunset.

“So, my mom doesn’t hate me?” Sunset cried.

“No, sweet child, hardly any of those you believe to hate you truly do.” Magic said, the flame growing brighter and the darkness was replaced with Celestia’s chambers where the mare was sitting on the balcony with tear tracks running down her muzzle.

“What’s going on?” Sunset whimpered.

“Relax child, any visions we show you are real though you can not be seen or interact. Some may be happening now, while others may be something from the past.” Magic said.

“I don’t get it auntie, you said you loved Sunset. I can even feel your love for her! So how can you say you regret what you did for her?” Cadence demanded to know, making Sunset realize the princess of love was there too.

“I don’t regret what I did for her, Cadence. I regret what I was forced to do to protect her!” Celestia whimpered. “Three assassins Cadence! I vaporized two griffins and one earth pony who were trying to kill Sunset before she could become an alicorn! They were afraid of her, a commoner becoming an alicorn and threatening their way of life!”

“Wait... You killed to protect Sunset?” Cadence asked, obviously shaken from the news.

“I’m not proud of killing, Cadence. It was them or Sunset and I loved Sunset. Every time I got close to her another assassin came at her so I had to distance myself from her.” Celestia sighed.

“Why didn’t you help her become an alicorn then? You did the same for Twilight.” Cadence asked. “Wouldn’t she be safe then?”

“Maybe, but I tried. They can’t know what they have to do to become one or they will destroy any chance at ascending. A pony has to fully accept harmony and friendship in their heart, which Sunset just would not do. She had the brains and the power, but she refused to accept harmony.” Celestia cried.

“Of course she did with all of these snottish old nags around here! Why didn’t you send her to Ponyville for a while under the guise of a vacation or something? A chance to meet those who didn’t know she was the princess’s student?” Cadence asked.

“I don’t know, Cadence. I never thought of it.” Celestia admitted, hanging her head and folding her ears back.

“I know that isn’t the only reason, Auntie!” Cadence snapped, slamming a hoof down.

“I was afraid of her, too.” Celestia admitted. “At first, I was afraid of what she represented.”

“You mean Kandrakar? Yeah, I can understand that a little after what Auntie Luna went through.” Cadence admitted, “Still, she was just a foal!”

“I know that, and I started growing closer to her. Every time I started getting my hopes up that she could become an alicorn, she proved she wasn’t ready by denouncing friends and harmony. I wanted her to succeed more than any other pony, including her.” Celestia said.

“You did?” Cadence asked, her jaw hanging open.

“I was scared she would die and leave me too soon. Cadence, I’ve lost so many friends through the years and each one tears at my heart. If Sunset couldn’t ascend then she would leave me and losing a daughter I loved would hurt way more than losing a few friends.” Celestia sniffed. “I thought I lost my sister and it nearly destroyed me. If we couldn’t save her and Sunset left me as well, I wouldn’t be able to handle it!”

“Auntie, I love you. I really do and I understand your actions a little better I guess. You hurt a poor filly so bad though when all you had to do was show a little affection. Just a little support to her when she needed it. It didn’t have to be a mother’s love if you really didn’t feel you could handle it. A little love goes a long way.” Cadence explained.

“I was so proud of her and all of her accomplishments. I still am. If it wasn’t for her, Twilight might not have made it home from facing the sirens.” Celestia sighed wistfully. “If only I could have been there to see it.”

“I’m proud of her too, auntie.” Cadence smiled.

Sunset had to blink her eyes as the scene just vanished all of a sudden and she found herself back in the black void. She couldn’t help wiping her eyes as she knew Celestia was against all killing, but to know the princess had killed three assassins just to protect her shook her. She didn’t really believe Celestia had cared for her, not fully, but she might have to face her sometime and ask her.

“Even those who you don’t know love you and want to be a part of your life.” Quintessence said, a new scene appearing with a red haired man carrying a box into a mostly empty apartment where a dark haired woman was working unpacking another one.

“Just put it down over there, Tony.” The woman said with a smile. Tony put the box down and moved over to kiss the woman deeply before pulling back giving her a large smile. “Not that I’m complaining, but what was that for?”

“Can’t I just kiss my wife?” Tony chuckled.

“Of course you can, dear, but I know you.” The woman giggled.

“I’m just excited, I guess. Thank you so much for this Serena. I messed up not seeing Will before she disappeared, I won’t make the same mistake with Sunset!” Tony exclaimed.

“You don’t have to thank me, dear. All I had to do was put in a transfer request and you can worry about passing the Bar exam anywhere. I still can’t believe it in a way. If I hadn’t seen magic with my own eyes I would have thought this was all some cruel practical joke.” Serena sighed wistfully, “Can you imagine what it would like to have real magic?”

Once again the scene faded away leaving Sunset blinking in confusion. “Was that really my dad?”

“Despite the fact that any DNA test might show a smaller chance of sharing DNA with him because of the magic to change you, he is your biological father.” Quintessence assured.

“And let’s not forget your friends in Canterlot.” Magic said, the scene once again shifted to find Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy sitting around a table at Sugar Cube Corner.

“I feel like this is becoming a support group.” Rainbow chuckled, earning varying degrees of smiles.

“Ah guess it kinda is, sugarcube.” Applejack sighed.

“Do you think Sunny will ever forgive us and come back?” Pinkie Pie asked, her hair slightly deflated.

“I think she will forgive us with time, but she won’t be around as much as before, darling. She has a loving mother now and I, for one, am very happy for her.” Rarity said.

“I wish we talked about things with her before all this happened. I know a part of me was scared she was faking it at first, and I guess a small part of me kept that feeling even after she proved herself.” Fluttershy said with a shudder. “I love her though and was stupid to let my old fears kick in when Anon started.”

“I think we all had those fears at times. We should have just talked to her and cleared the air, maybe then Anon wouldn’t have had a way to sink its claws into us and bring out our fears and insecurities.” Rainbow Dash sighed, looking around at the looks of disbelief on everyone’s faces before huffing. “What? I know big words too!”

“We know you do, darling. It’s just hard to believe you would admit to having fears like that.” Rarity said with an encouraging smile.

“Everybody has fears.” Pinkie Pie sighed, “It’s just how you handle them that counts. And I guess we did a poor job at handling them.”

“That we did girls. Ah reckon Sunset has more than enough reason ta never wanna speak to us again. And ah wouldn’t blame her one bit.” Applejack sighed, pulling her stetson down a little. “Ah would do anything to make it up ta her. Ah love the girl, she’s like kin.”

“I wish we realized our fears were coming back and driving us earlier. Looking back now, there’s no way Shimmer would have pulled something like that. Even in her bad days, she just wouldn’t.” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“We know we messed up and now all we can do is wait and hope that Sunset will truly forgive us.” Rarity sighed.

Sunset wasn’t sure what to make of what she had just witnessed. On the one hand they really did sound remorseful when not around her. On the other hand, they had hurt her badly with their words and actions cutting deeply. “I don’t know what to think.”

“What do you feel in your heart?” All of the spirits asked together.

“Sunset, please wake up!” A familiar voice sobbed out, screaming her name.

“What about…my mom?” Sunset asked.

“Why don’t you wake up and look for yourself? Take your body back and don’t give in to the despair or the power trying to erase you.” The spirits intoned together.

“Please, SUNSET!” The voice cried louder, making Sunset blink a few times before opening her eyes to see her mother screaming her name and begging her to wake up. The bracelet Sunset gave her was worn proudly on her wrist with the gems glowing softly.

“M-Mom?” Sunset croaked out as she felt her body grow heavier, yet smaller. “What’s going on?”

“You ruined all my plans, you little pests!” The Oracle seethed, glaring at Sunset as he stormed over toward her.

Author's Note:

I wanted to thank Sunny Scriber for once again doing such a great job proof reading because no matter how much I try to find all the mistakes I still manage to miss a bunch of them. I also want to thank him for all the advice on improving my writing and scenes in the story to make it better as well as writing the descriptions for the girls new transformation. I also want to thank HarmonicPriest for all the help and story ideas he has given as well as the awesome omakes that can be found in the comment sections of Tuesday Dec 20 d, Wednesday Dec 21 d, Thursday Dec 22 b, Friday Dec 23 c, and Saturday Dec 24 j as they are awesome! Thank you both very much!

I also wanted to thank HarmonicPriest for the suggestions on materials to use in making Susan's bracelet from the metals to the gems and the newest addition of alternate covers.