• Published 2nd Jan 2023
  • 6,916 Views, 548 Comments

Generational Divide - Boltstrike58



A tear in the time space continuum brings Twilight Sparkle and Sunny Starscout together.

  • ...
9
 548
 6,916

Epilogue

Canterlot

"Are you sure you want to do this?" asked Discord. "I mean, there's no chance that I'll screw up and leave you brain-damaged or anything, but—"

"Gee, thanks for putting that idea in her head, Discord," groaned Rainbow Dash. Discord glared at her.

"Now, now, every creature," said Twilight, using her magic to push them apart, "there's no need to bicker. And yes, Discord, I'm sure. I need you to remove the memory of Opaline's name from my brain. If I remember who she is, I won't ever make her an alicorn, and Sunny's future will cease to exist, leaving who knows what in its place."

"But doesn't that mean that we'll have to let Opaline do all those horrible things you saw in her memory?" asked Fluttershy.

"Well, the five of you won't. But it's my responsibility to make sure that the loop is completed. Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of letting Opaline divide ponies, but if we don't, our adventure in the future will never happen, and...I don't know what it could do to time. Opaline was far from the first apprentice my future self took, so at least we have a few centuries before then."

Discord shivered. "I never thought any of the villains we faced would be worse than Tirek," he muttered, "but from what you've told me, this Opaline takes the cake."

"Don't do it now, though," said Twilight. "We still have to finish the spell on the Time Twirler. Just...after I take the throne, okay? And please don't remove any memories of Sunny and her friends. I can't do without those."

"Alright, I'll do my best," said Discord. "It'll be hard, but not impossible, with my magic."

"Thanks, Discord," said Fluttershy, hugging her friend.

The six mares turned around and trotted out of the throne room. Once they were gone, Discord reached into his ear and pulled out a note, upon which was written some words:

My Ultimate Plan to Boost Twilight's Confidence

Step 1. Disguise myself as Grogar

Step 2. Recruit the remaining villains

Step 3.

With a grimace, Discord crumpled up the list, then snapped his fingers, opening a dimensional portal to a world composed entirely of lava behind him. He tossed the paper inside.`


"How's that quilt coming, girls?" asked Twilight, as she ran another magical scan over the original Time Twirler. She, Star Swirl, and Starlight had just finished casting the spell on it that would allow it to tear open the time portal hundreds of years from now.

"Fabulously!" said Rarity, with all of her usual flamboyance. "I must say, we are lucky Sunny decided to give you that photo. Otherwise, I may have had trouble remembering what she and the others looked like!"

Rarity, assisted by Fluttershy, was currently sewing the blanket Sunny and her friends had found in pieces in the future. Twilight had already cast an anti-deterioration spell on it, ensuring it would survive until it was found.

"Do you think we'll have to find those specific places where they found the pieces?" asked Pinkie. "I mean, according to Izzy, they looked like they hadn't been touched in centuries."

"Hopefully, not," said Twilight. "I'm planning to keep it in my possession while I rule, and we'll go from there." She levitated up the Time Twirler. "You're sure the spell will work as soon as it comes into contact with a pony's hoof?"

"Twilight, you've scanned it, what, twelve times now?" asked Starlight. "We're absolutely sure. Just toss that sucker into the ocean."

Twilight smiled. "It's kinda fun, getting to set up all these things for Sunny and the others, ages before they're even born," she said with a laugh. Her smile dropped a little. "I just hope that, wherever they are now, they're alright. Especially Misty."

"I feel bad for her," said Rainbow. "Opaline lied to her and abused her for her entire life, then tried to kill her as soon as she outlived her usefulness. What kind of pony does that?!"

"Opaline, I guess. What a meanie!" said Pinkie.

"Misty's tougher than she looks," insisted Applejack. "Plus she's got Sunny and the others to hold her up. She'll survive, and live happily."

"I hope you're right," said Twilight. "You all want to come with me?" The other six mares, plus Spike and Starlight, nodded. "Then let's go."


With a quick teleportation, Twilight brought everyone down to the beach, just outside Manehattan. With alicorn magic, plus a little boost from Starlight, it only took a second. Twilight took a few steps towards the drifting waves, levitating up the Time Twirler.

"Are you certain about this?" asked Rarity. "Couldn't we just bury it in the sand where Maretime Bay will be?"

"Somepony else might dig it up," said Twilight. "We need those three fillies to find it at the exact time." Looking down at the water, she sighed, and with a swerve of her horn, tossed it into the water. The Time Twirler bobbed for a few seconds, before sinking below the churning ocean.

"So...did it work?" asked Spike.

Twilight telekinetically opened her saddlebags. She produced the photo Sunny had given her, safely encased in a frame. "I think it has. I guess those things they gave us are all we'll have to remember them by." A smile slowly graced her features. "But maybe they'll be enough."


Crystal Brighthouse

Sunny remained on her knees, staring into the prisbeam that surrounded the Unity Crystals. A rattling noise signaled the elevator rising up, revealing her five best friends (and Sparky), who trotted into the room with concern on their faces.

"Sunny, you've been up here for hours," said Zipp. "Aren't you hungry by now? Or bored?"

"Sorta," admitted Sunny. "I was just thinking about...stuff."

"About Twilight and the others?" asked Hitch. Sunny nodded. "Me too. It was a lot of fun to meet them. Sure, fighting Opaline wasn't so great, but I do miss them."

"Yeah," replied Sunny. "I know Twilight talked about how our friendship would endure across time itself, but I just wish...I could see her again." She pulled her copy of Twilight's Friendship Journal out of the corner. "I've already read it cover to cover."

"No surprises there!" said Izzy. She frowned. "If only Pinkie and I had been able to throw a cross-temporal party before they left." A tear began to gather at the corner of her eye.

"I wish I'd gotten to know them better," said Misty, sadly. "They did a lot for me in a short amount of time."

Sunny opened her mouth to continue, but a bright flash of light began to emit from her Cutie Mark, cutting her off. She looked down, discovering her mark creating an energy tether to the combined Unity Crystals. The marks of the other five ponies began reacting as well, causing the crystals to glow with a mixture of orange, pink, lilac, blue, yellow, and white. They pulsed brightly.

"What's going on?" asked Pipp.

"It looks like when we first uncovered the message from Twilight!" said Zipp, immediately whipping out her phone to record it. "But it's different because Misty's here now!"

In the center of the crystals, a white dot appeared, growing bigger with each passing second. The entire Crystal Brighthouse began to vibrate with magical energy, causing the six ponies to nearly fall on their faces in the process. Soon enough, the white ball was big enough to eclipse the crystals from view entirely. All of a sudden, it shot upwards, phasing through the roof of the Brighthouse without causing any damage, rising higher and higher into the sky until it burst like a firecracker, leaving a massive sphere of multi-colored dots. The explosive roar was so great, everypony had to clamp their hooves over their ears, except Hitch, who covered Sparky's.

"What the heck was that?!" exclaimed Izzy. "Since when were the Unity Crystals firework dispensers?!"

"I...I don't know!" replied Sunny. "Twilight never mentioned anything like that! What could she have—"

This time, the interruption took the form of a sound from outside the Crystal Brighthouse. The noise was a loud "Fwwwwump!" like the beating of a massive pair of wings. This was followed by a heavy thump that seemed to shake all of Maretime Bay for about a second. Hitch nearly fell onto Sparky from the impact. Everypony began searching to find the source of the mysterious sound. As it turned out, they didn't have to look far, because the transparent glass of the Brighthouse allowed them to see what looked like an endless expanse of purple.

Sunny activated her alicorn form, flying down and out the front door of the Brighthouse, with her friends on her tail. Standing on the beach beneath the cliff that the Brighthouse rested on was an absolutely gargantuan dragon, with purple scales, green spines, and a pair of folded up wings. It didn't take a genius to deduce his identity.

"SPIKE!" exclaimed Sunny, taking off with a flap of her golden wings. She flew up to the drake's nose and tried to hug it, though her legs weren't long enough.

"Hey, Sunny," replied Spike, his voice having grown so much deeper since their last encounter. He waved to the five shocked ponies standing in front of the Brighthouse entrance. "Hello, everypony. Nice to see you all again."

"Spike?! You're still alive?!" shouted Zipp. "That's...how old are you?!"

Spike shrugged. "I stopped counting after a while," he admitted. "By the way, how long has it been since Opaline's defeat?"

"Just one day," replied Hitch, who looked perhaps the most flabbergasted of them all.

"Oh, good. So you activated the signal just in time. Sorry for the wait. I would've been here sooner, but I didn't remember meeting my future self."

Sunny's eyes lit up as her brain put it all together. "So Twilight put that in so you'd know when to come see us again!" she exclaimed. "That's great! I had no idea you were still around!"

"Who do you think put Sparky's egg on the beach?" replied Spike. The fully-grown dragon looked down at the tiny Sparky sitting on Hitch's back, who babbled happily. "There's also something else you should know."

"What? What is it?!" asked Sunny, excitedly flapping her wings.

"Well, as current Dragon Lord, I'm obligated to offer the claw of friendship to ponies, considering they've reunited again," said Spike. "Plus, there are plenty of other creatures who might be interested in resuming diplomatic relations with Equestria. How does that sound?"

Sunny beamed, and her joy was matched by all of her friends. "It sounds like we've got a lot of work to do," she replied.

Author's Note:

Thanks for coming with me on this journey. I have no plans for a sequel right now, other than that one shot of Misty with the CMC that I promised to write, but maybe in the future.

Comments ( 29 )

"Now, now, every creature," said Twilight, using her magic to push them apart, "there's no need to bicker. And yes, Discord, I'm sure. I need you to remove the memory of Opaline's name from my brain. If I remember who she is, I won't ever make her an alicorn, and Sunny's future will cease to exist, leaving who knows what in its place."

Oh yeah that's true they already know tonight and it's going to affect the future

With a grimace, Discord crumpled up the list, then snapped his fingers, opening a dimensional portal to a world composed entirely of lava behind him. He tossed the paper inside.`

Yeah maybe that would be a good idea because it's not going to end well 😥

11681864
Wait… Did Discord change the future? I mean he burnt his plans for Twilight, wouldn’t that change the future?

Rarity, assisted by Fluttershy, was currently sewing the blanket Sunny and her friends had found in pieces in the future. Twilight had already cast an anti-deterioration spell on it, ensuring it would survive until it was needed.

Ohh that's actually a pretty good theory that how Argyle got the fragment

11681872
I'll just treat it like a simple shot fired at Season 9 that's not meant to be given too much thought, in this case.

Then again, why make that shot at all, if nothing will come of it?

11681900
That was just added as a joke. I like season 9, but I think Discord turning out to be Grogar was a lame twist.

Sad to see this end... but man what an ending that was.

Sunny activated her alicorn form, flying down and out the front door of the Brighthouse, with her friends on her tail. Standing on the beach beneath the cliff that the Brighthouse rested on was an absolutely gargantuan dragon, with purple scales, green spines, and a pair of folded up wings. It didn't take a genius to deduce his identity.

I kind of figured he will be there I mean dragons have longer year expansion

An excellent ending to an excellent story! It's been a fun ride. There are way too few fics about these two generations interacting. This is the best I found so far.

So Twilight will make sure that history will still flow as it was supposed to, but Spike will be there after Opaline's defeat to help them move forward. That's a very wholesome and hopeful ending.

Great story my friend! Eager to see what you'll come up with next! Until then... :twilightsmile:

This was a pretty awesome story and also an awesome Crossover with new and old generation so Twilight and others return to the Past planning to erase any information about Opaline because they had to let that flow or else things will change but they will never forget sunny and the others and also setting a time watch in motion as well and with that the future will be written speaking of which sunny and the others were pretty sad that Twilight and the others have to go back but then a unexpected change and also a guest or should we say an old friend Spike return once again to tell Sunny about making allies with the dragons and also other creatures and it looks like sunny and the others have a lot of work to do I hope to see something like this in the future stories but that is up to you but it's still pretty good story keep up the good work

This was a great story to read and i applaud you for it

I do hope we get to see Spike in Gen 5 at one point.

I had to read this the moment I saw it up :twilightsmile:

This was a good fic. A bittersweet ending, but I suppose their hooves were tied by time itself. Still, perhaps they will see each other again, some day...

I say a good ending for this story.

That was a tear-jerking ending with a glimmer of hope at the end there, great work! :fluttercry::moustache:

Interesting ending to a great story, for a moment I really hoped that Twilight somehow managed to survive

It's been fun!
It always did seem strange the other species apparently didn't really exist. They were simply hiding! 😅

That's a shame I would love to see howsujny helps ponys reconnect with others eg changeling. Nice story too

"Now, now, every creature," said Twilight, using her magic to push them apart, "there's no need to bicker. And yes, Discord, I'm sure. I need you to remove the memory of Opaline's name from my brain. If I remember who she is, I won't ever make her an alicorn, and Sunny's future will cease to exist, leaving who knows what in its place."

This reminds me of something that happens in a Pokemon fangame. Long story short, a gym leader has a demon with a Rotom theme going for it as an archnemesis, and she doesn't know why. Eventually, it sends a younger version of herself forward through time in order to really make sure she suffers. At a loss, she decides to figure out why it's even a thing in the first place. It turns out that a long time ago, she had a sister whose only friend was a Clefairy Doll that she owned, which secretly had a Rotom in it. The company that made the toy eventually tried to take it back forcefully, but when confronted about it, the girl winds up falling into a well with the doll, and winds up electrocuting herself to death. At first you're lead to believe that the demon is the Rotom that feels guilty about inadvertently causing her sister's death and is just acting out, but in reality, it's the sister who's in control. After she died, their grandma attempted to use magic to bring her back, but it wound up fusing her to the Rotom, and brought her back as a demon that was supposedly sealed away. The specific reason she's mad at her sister is because after that fiasco happened, she wiped her memories of the event clean, essentially forgetting that she even had a sister. So the demon-sister attempts to kill the both versions of the gym leader, but after defeating her in a Pokemon battle, their Chandelure uses its flames to erase her soul, essentially setting it and Rotom free. In order to close the loop, the younger version of the Gym Leader decides to lose her memories and go back to the past, while the one in the present makes a memorial for her dead sister, so that she would always be remembered even though her soul is gone.
If that sounds messy, that's because it is. It's a Pokemon Fangame, after all.

All this to say that while I thought it was okay, I think Opaline's story feels kinda rough. Obviously, you couldn't have known what Opaline's real backstory was at the time of conceiving this story, except for that one person who correctly guessed that she knew Celestia and Luna when they were young (although that was because they were siblings in their headcanon...).
derpicdn.net/img/2023/6/7/3139252/large.png
That being said, the idea that none of the Friendship Lessons stuck, and that Opaline decided to kill off a bunch of ponies to make her point, and that after a giant adventure to defeat her, Twilight would just decide to erase all her memories so that she wouldn't disrupt the passage of time feels... wrong. Especially since a big part of the Season 5 Finale was about how Friendship was so important that the formation and dissolution of a friendship can lead to the respective upholding and downfall of Equestria itself, even across time. It means that, at the end of the day, Twilight knew that ponies would be harmed as a result of not being premptive about Opaline's issues, and chose to do nothing about that so the loop would be closed. Just like the gym leader in that one Pokemon Fangame chose to forget about her sister, so that her future self would then fight her, remember her, destroy her, and then remember her some more. For the sake of keeping time stable.

Obviously, that'd mean G5 wouldn't happen-
G4 Truther: *expectant stare*
-which would suck because I think it's neat despite its flaws-
G4 Truther: *blows raspberry*
But sometimes you have to ignore things like "time loops" or "logic", and look towards the future. That way (mostly) everyone can be happy without having to worry about people getting screwed over in the process, because everything works out in the end.
derpicdn.net/img/2016/10/18/1275941/full.jpg

11683863
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

The video was just the trailer for the finale, I got the Samurai Jack reference from a comment on that video.

That is a good video, though.

This is a nice epilogue it's only a shame to have no possibility of preventing Opaline's evil without possibly dangerous consequences. I'm glad Discord ditched his stupid plan form the season 9 finale.

Comment posted by qwe223666 deleted Sep 17th, 2023

I think history should be changed to avoid division, which will kill many ponies and make them homeless and lose their homes for a dark period.As for them, they may become ordinary, so they should be fine.So I think the ending is still not very good.

The best outcome should be to rewrite history, and then it is wrong for them to meet and split, so they should change and not let it split, which will make many innocent ponies die and lose their homes.

(RU) Похоже G5 настолько мусор, что на его основе в принципе невозможно написать хорошей истории, хотя всё же я предвзят, но пока что я ещё не встретил ни одной истории по новому поколению которая бы мне хоть сколько бы то понравилась бы.

11726270

11725779
Fixed those errors. I'm not a bad writer, I'm just a bad editor.

I really enjoyed this story and I hope you decide to write a sequel in the future

11684337
UPDATE: Opaline is no more, she has been claimed by T H E R O O T S.

Login or register to comment