• Published 1st Nov 2022
  • 505 Views, 4 Comments

It's Pipp! - bahatumay



Sunny and Pipp have a little talk in the Crystal Brighthouse.

  • ...
0
 4
 505

She's doing fine. Promise.

It was late afternoon at the Crystal Brighthouse. There were only a few clouds in the sky, the sun was still shining, and the Prisbeam blazed merrily.
Inside, Sunny slowly walked up the stairs, carrying a tray of food on her back. Her ears pricked as she heard soft singing. “Pipp?” she asked, walking up faster.

There was Pipp Petals, sitting in the middle of the room, her back towards the entryway. Her ears pricked as Sunny ascended the stairs. “Hey, Sunny,” she said, scrambling to her hooves. “Oh, it’s great to see you again!”

“Hey, Pipp,” Sunny said, crouching to let the tray slide down onto the ground. “It’s great to see you again. It’s been a while.”

“Oh, you have no idea,” Pipp said, letting her head hang back. “That was awful. It feels like I was having the weirdest dream ever and I just could not wake up.” Her smile tightened. “Do you… know where my phone is? I feel so naked without it.” Her hoof twitched back towards her mane.

“I’ll get it for you,” Sunny said. “Hitch kept it in the safe in his office. What do you remember?”

Pipp shook her head. “Not much,” she admitted. “It’s all a bit of a fog, really.”

“That’s probably for the best,” Sunny said. She took a steadying breath. “Do you remember anything about how it started? Anything at all?”

“I really don’t,” Pipp said. “I’m sorry. I know you’d like to know, being the major history buff you are, but I just… don’t. How are my Pippsqueaks?”

“They miss you,” Sunny said. “We all missed you.”

“Aww, I missed you, too,” Pipp said, coming closer and opening her forelegs for a hug.

Sunny darted forward…

And slid to a stop right before the edge of the Prisbeam that was reflecting off the series of mirrors Izzy had set up. “Sorry,” Sunny said, all traces of amiability gone from her voice. “I know my friends better than that.”

Pipp looked up, eyes narrowed. Her ruse now exposed, she dropped her glamor as Sunny watched.

Pipp was taller now, and skinnier than she was before. Her round cuteness and soft tummy had been replaced with lithe strength and tone muscles. Her light fuchsia coat had darkened to a royal purple. Her wings were no longer fluffy, but larger and more streamlined. Her eyes were a brilliant green, and were now adorned with slitted pupils. Her cutie mark was darker, too. The crown under the music note looked more jagged and sharp. Somehow the edges looked more blade-like and menacing now. Her mane had lengthened, and seemed to sway in a breeze only she felt.

She walked slowly along the edge of the Prisbeam. They had learned she couldn’t cross it. Izzy’s quick thinking (and her messy craft supplies) had set up this makeshift prison for her in the top of the Brighthouse. “What gave me away?” she asked, her voice curious, not accusatory.

“You’re not Pipp,” Sunny said simply. “I still don’t know who or what you are, but you’re not my friend.”

“You’re wrong,” she answered softly. “I’m nothing but Pipp. Her insecurities. Her fears. The deep, dark thoughts she keeps pushed down inside, the ones she knows she can never share, not even with you.”

Sunny swallowed. She knew it could have been a trick. She knew she should just kick the food tray over and walk away, fly down the stairs, literally or figuratively.

But she found herself taking a step closer. “Like what?”

“Oh, you know, lots of little things,” the pony that wasn’t Pipp said lightly. “The constant pressure she’s under to create new, engaging content. The fear that her fans will leave her and find somepony else to watch, leaving her alone. The anxiety she feels about always looking perfect because a candid shot that makes her look bad can go viral and ruin her whole persona. Knowing that she has to keep doing this, because do you know how many little sister princesses ponies remember? Not many!”

And it was Pipp again, looking up, tears welling up in her eyes. “The constant fight for my mother’s attention, trying to not come off as too needy or desperate because that could drive her away. It’s… it’s hard. Zipp doesn’t even have to try. And compared to you I’m just… just a silly pony.” Her voice cracked as she sobbed. “You’re the alicorn of unity, you brought back magic, helped me fly again; and here I am, helping shill perfume I don’t even like the smell of, but I have to anyway, because it’s fancy and I can’t risk my image by saying ‘no’.” Her eyeliner began to run. “I’m trying my hardest, here, but I’m still just a little pony.” She sniffled as she pleadingly extended a hoof. “Please, Sunny. Help me.”

Sunny grit her teeth and narrowed her eyes, steeling herself, conscious of how hard her heart was beating. She didn’t know how much of that was true, but honestly, that had been an excellent performance. Her heart hurt for Pipp, and that wasn’t even considering what was happening to her now. “You talk a lot, but no matter how hard you try, you won’t ever be Pipp. Just let her go. Give her back to us.”

The pony that wasn’t Pipp was there again, smiling deviously. Did she know how much of a reaction her words had had on her? “Oh, Sunny,” she said, shaking her head, her voice dripping with faux sympathy. “That isn’t how this works. She called me. She didn’t mean to, but she did. And now that we’ve bonded, I’m going to make her dreams come true. This Prisbeam can’t hold me forever, we both know that. I’m going to get out eventually. And you and your friends will worship me as the Empress of Equestria. No longer overshadowed, no longer unloved, no longer everypony’s least favorite pony.” She blew air out her cheeks. “You know, nopony would have noticed if I hadn’t come along.”

“That’s not true,” Sunny said, stepping forward. “Pipp was an important part of our group from the beginning. She inspired me in Bridlewood. Without her-!”

But her words caught in her throat as she realized just how close she was getting to the Prisbeam edge. She took a quick step back to put some distance between them.

If she was disappointed, she didn’t show it. “Almost,” she sang, the smile on her face looking more amused than anything else. “It’s just a matter of time, really.” She chuckled darkly under her breath, her smile widening enough to give a glimpse of her fangs.

Sunny scowled, wanting to deliver a biting retort but suddenly conscious of how much her hooves were shaking. It had been too close. She had to get out of here. With all the confidence she could muster, she slid the tray across the Prisbeam line, making sure to keep it far away from her so she couldn’t use the brief disruption in the flow to escape.

She hesitated, then pounced on it, yanking the top off and ravenously tearing into the food. Apple bits and sandwich crust flew through the air as she intentionally ignored the silverware and tore off chunks with her teeth. She was clearly trying to get a reaction out of Sunny.

And it worked; Sunny flinched, seeing her friend act like this. “Don’t worry, Pipp,” Sunny said softly as she turned to leave. “We’ll figure this out. I promise.”

Comments ( 4 )

No longer overshadowed, no longer unloved, no longer everypony’s least favorite pony.”

Wow. Getting kinda meta there, aren't we?

Evil Pipp is not how I expected to start my day, but I'm glad that's how I did.

I see this thing never learned its lesson from always losing in G4. Oh well. G5 will be happy to remind it.

11410335

Knowing that she has to keep doing this, because do you know how many little sister princesses ponies remember? Not many!”

Some things never change.

Login or register to comment