• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 43,485 Views, 2,297 Comments

Faith and Doubt - defender2222



After everyone fails to heed to her warnings about Cadence, Twilight gives in to her darker thoughts

  • ...
98
 2,297
 43,485

Thus Endth The Lesson

"No, I think you've taught me everything I need to know."

-Buffy Summers, Lies My Parents Told Me


"How did it go so wrong?"

Twilight was surprised by the words. Not because of who spoke them; after all, her mentor had clearly come to visit her and try and mend the massive gap that now existed in their relationship. It wasn't what she said either; Twilight had been thinking the same thing for a while now.

No, what truly surprised her was that Celestia had spoken. The solar princess had arrived 4 hours ago in the middle of an afternoon thunderstorm. The rain had dripped down her white coat and had her mane not been enchanted the lavender alicorn knew that her former teacher's bangs would have been hanging in her eyes. Celestia had asked softly if she could come in, trying her hardest to look regal and failing. Twilight hadn't even considered saying no, though that was more because she knew Faith would break out the ropes and bind her to the chair again than about her desire to talk to the princess.

The princess hadn't spoken since.

Twilight hadn't attempted to make her former mentor talk. Instead she had prepared tea, left a cup out for Celestia to serve herself, and settled herself onto her favorite chair and continued reading the guide of black magic Luna had left her. Spike had joined them and, after a few pleasantries that the princess hadn't responded to, he'd moved to the couch, curling up with a ruby to suck on.

Celestia had just stood there, drinking her tea and refusing to glance at Twilight. In the past the librarian would have been scuttling about in an attempt to make her teacher comfy. Now, Twilight treated her no differently than she would have treated Carrot Top or Bon Bon: casual, friendly, with only the bare minimum of effort. Just enough to be respectful.

Many would have been surprised by how kindly she treated Celestia. The princess’ actions the night of the rehearsal had been the worst of them all. Other than Shining she had known Twilight the most and her rejection had hurt the greatest. More to the point, of all the ponies involved in the wedding Celestia should have seen that her niece was not acting like herself. Celestia was Cadence's aunt... if they were such close family then why hadn't the white alicorn realized the younger princess was behaving strangely?

The answer to that question was one Twilight feared to answer.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked, marking her place before shutting the book.

"How did we end up at this place... where you could not trust me and I could not trust you?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "We ended up here because at the wedding rehearsal-"

"No... no," Celestia said softly. "We ended up here far before that." The princess lowered her head in sadness. "The rehearsal was just the breaking point that confirmed that you and I somehow ended up so far apart that there was no middle ground to see. It was the point that confirmed you had lost all faith in me."

"What are you talking about?" Twilight huffed out in annoyance. "I have always had faith in you."

"You did at one time but you lost it, Twilight. Or, should I say, you have been losing it for quite so time. It has been dripping away, like a cask with a pin pick hole. Neither of us noticed the levels dropping until it was too late."

"You... you can't be serious!" Twilight shouted. She hated that this mare still had the power to make her lose her cool. "I have always looked up to you! Admired you! Wanted to be you!" Her wings flared in frustration. "I have always acted with you in mind! Do you know how much heartache I've gone through, worrying about make you proud of me? And you dare... you dare to say that I don't have faith in you!" She grit her teeth in anger.

"Do you even hear yourself?" Celestia whispered. "Twilight... you weren't just worried about making me proud... you were afraid of me."

"Of... course I was!" the lavender alicorn exclaimed. She wondered if Celestia had gone mad and was now just speaking nonsense. "Who wouldn't be?"

"My faithful student." Celestia's mane drooped. "In the past, you would come to me about anything and everything; you’d trust me with your fears and doubts and ask for my help. How many times did we spend hours together, just talk? You never hid your thoughts from me, my faithful student.

“But then... something changed. You stopped asking me to help ease your fears and struggled to deal with them on your own... then you tried to hide them... and finally you began to fear me more than your actual fears." Celestia began to tick off the points before Twilight could argue. "When the parasprites invaded you never once sent me a letter to ask for my help... you just tried to hide it, fearing I would blame you."

"I just wanted-"

"The Want It, Need It Spell. It took Spike contacting me... instead of just telling me the truth you again hid it, fearing that I would send you back to magical kindergarten… how could you think I would take such a drastic step for so simple an action? When Fluttershy took Philamenia you told her that both of you would be thrown into a dungeon or banished... you thought I could be that cruel.

"When your future self appeared to you, instead of contacting me you took it upon yourself to try and save all of Equestria. I could have told you that such a spell is paradox proof and helped you deal with the trauma that week brought. But again... you didn't turn to me.

"And then... there was the wedding. You found something out and instead of coming to me... you went rushing in." Celestia lowered her head, locking eyes with the younger alicorn. "Why, my faithful student? Why didn't you just come to me?"

"Because you wouldn't have done anything," Twilight said simply. Her words held a finality to it that made Celestia take a step back.

"How can you say that? When have I not listened to you? When have I not listened to your words and considered all that you have to say?"

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Do you even hear yourself?" she parroted. "You did it at the rehearsal! I told you about Cadence and you blew me off! You thought I was so stupid that I could tell a mind control spell from a headache spell?"

"You were acting like a foal! How was I supposed to react?"

Twilight turned around in disgust. "Nevermind.”

"TWILIGHT SPARKLE!" Celestia boomed, using the full force of the Royal Canterlot Voice. The solar alicorn seemed to grow larger and all the light in the room was sucked into her, making her a beacon in the darkness. Spike trembled and dashed behind the lavender alicorn, whimpering in fright. "DO NOT TAKE ME FOR SOME SIMPLE MARE! I AM NOT TRYING TO HURT YOU!" The power left Celestia in an instant. "I am trying to help."

"Help?" Twilight said, doing her best to hide her sudden fear. "You don't care. You wouldn't have listened to me if I had told you about Cadence."

"How can you possibly know that?"

"My faithful student Twilight Sparkle... you must simply stop reading those musty old books." Twilight recited the words with a clear, cold voice and Celestia felt as if she had been stabbed. "Nightmare Moon. I warned you... and you mocked me."

"Twilight... no, that isn't-"

"It doesn't matter what you were attempting... what matters is how I felt. If I tell a joke and it hurts somepony’s feelings then I was wrong, not them. If you were trying to be playful you failed." Twilight closed her eyes and tears began to fall. "I... I found out the truth and you belittled me... you sent me off on a foalish errand."

"Only because-"

"IT DOESN'T MATTER YOUR REASON!" Twilight bellowed, causing Celestia to take a step back in shock. "Tartarus is filled with ponies that 'meant to do the right thing'. You didn't listen to me... worse, you lied to me. You know about Nightmare Moon and the Elements and you didn't tell me a thing!"

"Because you had to learn on your own... if I had told you it could have jeopardized everything."

Twilight glared at her former mentor through red-rimmed eyes. "Yes... the most important thing... the thing you cared about so greatly as to send your 'faithful student' into danger and death against a force that rivaled you in power. A force that could have easily killed me and my friends if we hadn’t gotten lucky. A force we knew nothing about because you refused to provide even a scrap of information... your sister." Twilight shook her head, hiccupping. "She... she tried to kill you. She hated you and cursed your name. I loved you... I only wanted to be next to you... and you chose her over me?"

"Twilight... Twilight please," Celestia begged. "She was my sister-"

"You were my mother!" Twilight shouted, her voice growing hoarse. "For so many years you were my mother and my friend and my sister... you were my everything! I loved you and thought of you as a member of my family... but I was wrong, wasn't I?" Twilight turned, using her magic to gather up a shivering Spike. "You never saw me as nothing more than a means to an end. 'The Stars will aid in her escape'." Twilight sniffed and flicked her wing against her cutie mark. "You knew... you knew I would be the one to save Princess Luna and you never told me. Is that why you treated me the way you did, because you needed me? You just used me, dishing out just enough of the truth to keep me going." The lavender alicorn trembled, barely able to keep herself standing as she sobbed. "I... I loved you... and you passed me over. You chose your sister, who hated you and tried to kill us all... but I forgave you. I thought that you had merely decided to lie to me and treat me as you did because you had hope for Luna.

"Then... Cadence. The fake one but you didn't know that. You... you had to see she was different. You had too! But you were blind yet again because she was family! And when it came to choosing... you chose her over me." Twilight tried to chuckle but failed. "Maybe you are my family... Shining chose Cadence too. I’m always last…"

She paused when she felt a small clawed hand press against her check. Spike looked up at her from the aura of magic that held him and gave her a hug. She wasn’t always last… at least not for one dragon.

"Twilight... please," Celestia begged, trying to get the younger alicorn to calm down. "You are twisting my words and my actions... I do care about you..."

"Just not as much as I care for you." Twilight said softly. "Please... just go."

"Twilight... Twilight you are wrong. I care about you that much...”

Twilight shook her head, her voice hollow. "Please... please leave me alone."

Celestia lowered her head and slowly made her way out of the library. The rains had not let up and the storm beat down upon her. Her mind was a whirl of moments and she shut her eyes as her tears mingled with the rain drops.

"She will always love you," Faith's voice whispered in her ear. "There is always hope."

Celestia felt her breath coming out in rapid puffs and her heart thudding in her chest. She gasped and turned around, banging on the door only to find it locked. "Twilight! Twilight!? Twilight I love you too! Twilight... Twilight I'm sorry! I'M SORRY!" the Ruler of Equestria broke down into sobs, leaning against the door as the rain mixed with her tears and the skies continued to darken until Luna finally found her and took her away.

The door never opened.

~MC~MC~MC~

Spike slowly woke up, blinking his eyes. He didn't know when he had fallen asleep and the dark skies did little to tell him how much time had passed. He slowly raised himself and looked about the room, startled to find books and clothing and odds and ends scattered all around. Miss Smartypants was tucked into a saddle bag and there were several suitcases filled with books and scrolls and other little items.

"Twilight?" Spike murmured, rubbing his eyes. "What's going on?"

Twilight sniffed; she hadn't stopped crying since Celestia had left. "I can't stay here, Spike... everything is so raw and painful and I just keep... I am afraid. I'm afraid of what I will do to somepony if I stay. I'm not in control anymore and I need to be in control."

"What are you saying?" Spike asked.

"I need a holiday... a long one... and I want you to come with me."