• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 43,461 Views, 2,297 Comments

Faith and Doubt - defender2222



After everyone fails to heed to her warnings about Cadence, Twilight gives in to her darker thoughts

  • ...
98
 2,297
 43,461

The Reason

Never ruin an apology with an excuse.
-Kimberly Johnson


Rainbow Dash watched as Twilight slowly began to circle her and the speedster suddenly held a new sympathy for the changeling queen. It was one thing to see her friend (and that was what she was, despite what Twilight might claim) stalk somepony, preparing to move in for the beatdown. Especially if that pony was some bug-queen that fed off of love and happiness.

It was another thing entirely to be the prey herself.

The only way Dash kept from breaking down at the sight was to keep telling herself that this wasn’t her friend. This wasn’t the Twilight Sparkle she had spent 2 years getting to know, bonding with. This was some twisted version of her friend… a corruption of the good and caring pony Dash and the rest of the girls knew.

The cyan flyer gulped, realizing this is exactly what Twilight had felt when she had faced them down after Discord had worked his magic on them. If it weren’t for the bright colors of Twilight’s coat confirming that she hadn’t been ‘discorded’ Dash would have been looking around for the chaos god.

Dark magic whipped and twitched about Twilight’s horn like adders fighting over a mouse, the long tentacles lashing out at anything and everything. Twilight’s face was twisted and manic and Rainbow flashed back to the Smartypants incident, the last time she had truly seen that crazed smile.

Rainbow smirked. Yes… this was crazy Twilight. Otherwise known as Not Rational Twilight and Not Thinking Twilight.

This was a Twilight she could deal with.

“Don’t make me hurt you,” Rainbow said simply.

“I was going to say the same thing,” Twilight said with a laugh, the DJ putting on a good beat for them to fight to. While half of the crowd had cleared out the rest had moved off the dance floor and taken their spots at the rails, taking bets on who would come out on top.

“That’s the Best Young Flyer from a year ago… she has it for sure!”

“Are you insane? Lady Sparkle took on Discord and the changelings! She has this in the bag.”

“I got 10 bits they end up kissing after a few hoof-strikes.”

Rainbow Dash smirked as she realized she had an audience. “Oh, so the folks want a show?” She preened for a moment, flashing Twilight a dark smirk. “Let’s give them a show.”

“Take this seriously!” Twilight roared, sending several bolts of dark magic at the speedster. Rainbow easily twisted out of the way, blasting over to the DJ’s table and grabbing some records. She spun them on her hoof before sending them at Twilight, forcing the lavender mare to bat them away with her magic.

“Come on, Twi, have some fun!” Rainbow Dash called out, baiting her friend.

“I was having fun until you showed up!” Twilight roared, attempting to fire a bolt of dark magic a Dash but only managing to strike a spotlight and sending it smashing to the ground. She made a move to grab it only for Rainbow Dash to snatch it up. “Stand still!” Twilight screamed in frustration, stomping her hoof. “This is not a game!”

Rainbow Dash slammed the spotlight onto Twilight’s head, making the mare buck in thrash as she tried to remove the metal ‘helmet’. Blasts of magic shot from her horn, and randomly struck overhanging struts and lighting structures, sending them crashing to the ground. The crowd, realizing that this was getting dicy, gave up on betting and began to make their escape, leaving only the two former friends, the baby dragon, and the whimpering alicorn in their wake.

“It seems a game to me, the way you are acting, Twilight,” Rainbow Dash said, floating around the enraged unicorn. “You know why we didn’t take you seriously yesterday? The same reason I can’t take you serious right now: you are acting like a foal. You don’t get your way or things don’t fit into your perfect little plans and you whine and complain and fret. If you had calmly came to us and told us about the spell that changeling was casting, we would have listened to you. But you didn’t, did you?” Rainbow Dash darted out of the way of a stray bolt of magic that sent another strut crashing to the ground. “You came rushing in screaming and hollering. If I had done that you would have thought me nuts!

“And now look at you. You want us to believe that you are ok but this isn’t you, Twilight. You don’t go to clubs and drink and dance. You don’t attack your friends and call them hurtful names. None of this is you. I don’t know if it is dark magic or stress… I really don’t care. All I know is that you aren’t acting like Twilight Sparkle and I’m not going to take you serious until you do.” Rainbow Dash zipped behind her, slamming her front hooves against the spotlight, making Twilight tremble like she was caught in an earthquake. “This is now how you get people to listen to you, Twilight. This is how you get them to think you are nuts!”

With that, Rainbow reared back and gave the spotlight a good buck, sending Twilight crashing to the ground, her body trembling before going still.

The pegasus slowly trotted over to Twilight, stroking the broken mare’s back. A tear fell from her eye and she was thankful none of the other girls were there to see her whimpering like a wuss. “I… I don’t know what did this too you… but we are going to make this better Twilight,” Rainbow Dash said softly. “I'm sorry.”

~MC~MC~MC~

“Shining, stop this!” Twilight Velvet begged. Sometimes she hated the fact that she had never gotten formal training when it came to using her magic. Oh, she knew some spells, alright, just like any other unicorn. Being able to lift things up with ease had made it easy to deal with her babies. Her little colt had always wanted to crawl about, exploring their house and getting into trouble. Twilight, meanwhile, had developed the bad habit of taking her naps curled up in some little corner that only she could get too, which meant when she awoke hungry it was a pain to get her out. Thus, Velvet had perfected the retrieve spell that dragged her little foals back to her, even if they were in another room.

That spell worked great on a foal the size of a bag of flour. But on a full-grown unicorn? Nothing.

“Shining, please.” Night Light sighed, watching as his son struggled to get out of his hospital gown. “Everypony is out there looking… they’ll find your sister.”

“I need to find her,” Shining said simply, finally giving up and using his magic to rip the gown from his body.

“Why?” Velvet asked. “Why does it have to be you?”

“Because it is my fault.” He didn’t scream the words, shout them, or whisper them through tears. He just said them, no different than how one would state that it was going to rain. “I caused this, mom and I need to fix it.”

“Shining-“

“You weren’t there!” Shining snapped. He took a breath, gathering himself. “You didn’t… see what she looked like. I hurt her real bad and now I need to fix it. I need to find her and help her.”

“Son, you weren’t in control,” Night said softly. “The changeling queen-“

“Made me see her as Cadence. Her entire spell was directed at her and no one else. She did nothing to make me act that way towards Twiley. That was all me.” The captain lowered his head in shame. “I keep thinking about it and I realize I would have done that if it had been the real Cadence. I would have said those… horrible things because a small part of me wanted to. And I will have to live with that for the rest of my life.” Taking a breath, Shining Armor prepared himself. “The only way I am going to be able to heal is if I fix her first.”

“You heard the Princesses, Shining,” Velvet said. “Your sister is consumed by dark magic. She is in less control than you were. If you go to her now… she could hurt you.”

“And I might be able to break through and save her. I owe her that much. A few broken bones will be worth it. I owe her that much.”

Night Light watched as his son made his wavy towards the door. “Shining… I’m coming with you.” He glanced at his wife and sighed. “Everyone has a bit of blame when it comes to this. The sooner we realize that the better.”

Velvet closed her eyes. “Let’s go save Twilight then.”

Shining Armor smiled, leading his parents out the door… and taking a step closer to bringing their Twilight back.

~MC~MC~MC~

“Rainbow Dash?” Spike called out, never leaving Cadence’s side. He had been fighting the urge to leap to Twilight’s defense during the entire battle but something had held him back. He wasn’t for sure if it was the knowledge that Rainbow Dash was right… or the desire to prove to Twilight he believed in her ability to stand up to the pegasus.

The cyan flyer sighed, her head lowered as she slowly trotted towards the baby dragon. “I’m… I’m sorry Spike. I didn’t want to hurt her but… you saw how she was. She wasn’t thinking clearly and… and I had to hurt her to keep her from hurting other ponies.” Rainbow closed her eyes. “We’re going to make this right, I swear. We’ll get her back to the hospital, get that black magic drained out of her, then have a nice long talk. Heck, I’ll even go to a spa with her if that will get her to forgive us.”

“Rainbow Dash?”

The pegasus turned, watching as a soft purple light, Twilight’s normal magic, slowly lifted the spotlight from her head. The magic slowly retreated back to her horn before it began to slide down the unicorn’s body, healing the wounds the pegasus had inflicted. Twilight blinked, shaking her head.

“Twilight? You ok?”

“Never better,” Twilight said softly.

A bolt of purple magic shot up, striking a strut. Rainbow’s jaw dropped as the metalwork above the dance floor collapsed, hanging down and separating her from Spike and Cadence. The cyan mare began to look about, trying to wrap her head around the new development, when a more chilling fact became clear: the falling struts and metal had formed a cage, keeping her away from Spike… and locking her in with Twilight. That last blast had merely set up the final pieces to complete the cell.

It hit Rainbow Dash like a freight train; all of this, from the moment Twilight had called for the song… was a set up. Her ‘random’ blasts weren’t random at all and her screams had been to serve as a distraction as she systematically created the perfect cage to trap the pegasus. What use are wings when you have no space to fly?

Twilight had known just what Rainbow Dash would expect and had used that to her advantage.

The pegasus shivered as she slowly turned to stare at her friend.

“You still… don’t… get it,” Twilight said as her eyes glowed black, even as she used white magic. Rainbow Dash began to move about, trying to find some hole she could slip through. “None of this was about you girls not believing me. I get that, I really do. I went about it all the wrong way. I wouldn’t have believed me either so I don’t blame any of you. That was my fault and I am sorry for acting like a foal.” A pulse of purple magic grabbing a hold of Dash’s wings and yanking her to the ground. “But you see… you just apologized for the wrong reason.

“The issue here, the great big 700 pound gorilla in the room, is something that is supposed to be close to your heart, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight glanced over and brought two pieces of pipe over. The pegasus trembled, trying to free herself, only for Twilight to lash out. But where Rainbow Dash had expected a blow to the head she instead found entrapment; the metal poles bending around her body, the ends driven into the dance floor, pinning her to the ground. “And that… is loyalty.

“I don’t expect any of you to agree with me. Not all the time. I’m not that stupid. If I wanted that I would have made myself a little club of yes-ponies right here in Canterlot. Creator knows there were enough little unicorns that wanted to hang out with ‘Celestia’s Student’.” Twilight trotted around her friend, watching her struggle. “What I did expect was that you would stand by me, good and the bad. How many times did you get in over your head and I helped you? All us girls always had your back, Rainbow Dash. But when I needed you to have mine, you walked away.” Twilight got in the pegasus’ face, sneering in frustration and rage. “My brother cut me out of his life! My mentor looked at me with shame-filled eyes and thought I was too stupid to know what a headache spell did! I was at my lowest point and what did you do? What did my ever so loyal friends do when I needed them the most?” Twilight gave her a shake. “Say it. I want you to say it.”

“We… we…”

“SAY IT!”

“We walked away!” Rainbow Dash cried out, the normally brash flyer breaking down in tears. “We followed after the changeling. You were right about her-“

Twilight smacked Rainbow across the jaw. “You still don’t get it! If I had been wrong I would still be angry at you! Me being right has NOTHING to do with this! After the queen yelled at me and left crying I believed I was wrong. You saw that and you still had to be petty and walk away all in the name of keeping up impressions! You walked away so you could impress a pony you had met only a day ago… a pony that had treated all of you like crap! Two years, Rainbow Dash! Two years of laughter and tears and friendship thrown away so you could wear a frilly dress! Nice to know how much I’m worth to you.

“You know what friends do, Rainbow Dash? Real friends? They stay loyal, even when their friends act stupid. A real friend would have sat with me and told me that it was ok and helped me make up for my mistake. A real friend would have realized that taking one moment to comfort somepony they care about wouldn’t hurt their chances to put on a dream wedding. A real friend would have given me a few minutes. That's all I wanted... and all you gave me was a glare.

“Sometimes I wonder if the Elements screwed up. You’ve never really been loyal, have you? You insult your friends; you mock them and tease them till they hurt. Remember what you did to Spike, making fun of him about not being a real dragon till he decided to run away? How LOYAL of you! You knew Fluttershy didn’t want to help with that cyclone and you guilted her into it… not because you knew she needed to face her fear but because you wanted to break a record. You have mocked me so many times, calling me a nerd and an egghead and then come crawling back asking for my help with your problems, expecting me to drop everything and save your flank.” Twilight leaned in close, dark eyes flashing. “You are very loyal, Rainbow Dash… loyal to yourself.”

Twilight twisted around and gave Rainbow a solid buck, sending her tumbling into the metal, coughing in pain. The unicorn walked over, her horn glowing purple as she healed all of Dash’s injuries. The pegasus stared at her weakly, trying to understand why Twilight had helped her.

“I don’t want to hurt you, Rainbow Dash… but I don’t want to be your friend either. So save your sorrys… I’ve heard enough of them from you for a lifetime. Words are meaningless. Actions are worth gold.” The struts groaned as Twilight made an opening for herself. “Spike, we’re leaving.”

The baby dragon nodded, taking one last glance at Rainbow Dash.

‘Twilight needs me more now,’ Spike thought sadly, making is way over to his friend.

Twilight took a moment, looking over at Cadence, the alicorn having not moved a muscle since Twilight had ripped into her. Her darkening eyes stared at the ground as continued to mumble about her failures. “I don’t hate you, Cadence… and I am sorry if my words hurt you but they are the truth. You need to see how your actions affect others. I… I hope you can forgive me for being cruel.” Twilight sighed, suddenly feeling very tired. “You are either with me or against me. When you decide… give me a buzz.”

Picking the baby dragon up, Twilight surrounded herself with dark magic, transporting her and Spike out of Canterlot… just as Princess Luna, Pinkie Pie and several of Shadowbolts burst through the doors.

“By Celestia,” one of the guards murmured. “What… what happened here?”

“Twilight,” Rainbow Dash whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks. “Twilight happened.”