• Published 19th Dec 2020
  • 1,922 Views, 1,138 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Season Two - Captain_Cosmos



Sparkler and her friends are back for new adventures!

  • ...
14
 1,138
 1,922

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 79: This Court Is Now In Session

Mina and Flappy sat on an open window sill peering into the court room on a cold winter day in Canterlot. They weren’t allowed inside but by Faust they were going to watch how it played out. Flappy was smiling. “Squawk! It all ends today. Squawk!” He commented. “Squawk! At last, those monsters will be convicted, and we’ll never have to worry about them again. Squawk!”

“Now remember Flappy.” Mina said. “No matter what happens in there, stay right here.” She warned him. “Let them handle it.”

“Squawk! Yeah yeah. I’ll sit this one out. But they better not pull any crap. Squawk!” Flappy responded. Mina saw early on that Flappy would absolutely tear Sparky and Misty apart if they tried anything against Sparkler. So she gave herself the task of ensuring Flappy remained under control, and let Sparkler deal with it. After all, she was the one with magic and not them.

In the courtroom itself, Sparkler, Twilight, and Melody stood behind a table on the left with Hard Case, the right table was where the court appointed attorney for Sparky and Misty stood. And judging by the look she was giving them, she didn’t want to be here. Melody meanwhile was getting more antsy by the second, she knew that in moments, she would have to face Sparky and Misty for the first time in weeks. And to say that she was not particularly looking forward to it would be an understatement. “T-this isn’t going to take long right?” She asked.

“That’s the plan.” Twilight told her. “But don’t worry. I promise you’re safe.” She assured Melody.

“Ok.” Melody responded. Deciding to reside herself to waiting until the trial started. She glanced over her shoulder to the spectator area, where she saw Autumn, her mothers’ friends, and Spike, Celestia and Luna were there also off to the side. Spike gave her a thumbs up and a reassuring smile. She nodded in response as a voice boomed over the room.

“Ahem. Fillies and gentlecolts, we are ready to begin, bring in the defendants.”

The doors swung open and Melody jumped a little when she saw them, while Sparkler and Twilight, while keeping barely neutral expressions, were growling on the inside like a pair of wolves protecting their cub. Sparky and Misty were led down the middle of the room wearing manacles around each of their hooves and magic inhibitors on their horns. Melody hid behind her mother as they passed the tables and stood behind the table on the right. Once they were settled, the mare up front spoke again. “All rise, the honorable Judge Strictler will be presiding over these proceedings.”

Everypony in the room stood still as Judge Strictler entered and took his place on his stand. Once he was seated, the mare smiled at him. “Everypony has been sworn in your honor.”

“Thank you. Good morning everypony, please be seated. This trial is now in session.” Strictler said. To which everypony took a seat, after which the judge continued. “This is the trial of Equestria Vs. Sparky Rump and Misty Mystique.” He turned to look directly at the defendants. “Sparky, Misty, the charges against you are as follows. Three counts of murder, two counts of foalnapping of Melody Sparklehearts, formerly known as Thunder Kicker, one count of arson, two counts of trespassing, child endangerment, child abuse, assault on a minor, illegal custody of a minor, battery, attempted murder, resisting arrest, assaulting an Alicorn, treason, and charges are being pressed against you for which the plaintiffs are seeking damages equal to the total of all medical expenditures for Melody Sparklehearts up to today. How do the two of you plead?” Strictler asked.

“Not guilty!” Sparky and Misty both growled and slammed their hooves against the table, making everypony jump a little.

“Sparky, Misty, settle down!” Their attorney hissed. “If you want to have any hope of getting out of here I suggest you remain civil.”

Sparky grimaced, but he and Misty both sat back down in their seats. Judge Strictler nodded. “Without any further ado, Ms. Medley, as the first to discover the foal in question that brought this case to its conclusion after three years, if you would please take the witness stand?” He asked.

Sparkler nodded and got out of her seat. “Yes, your honor.” She said as she took the witness stand. Hard Case took the floor not a moment later.

“Ahem. Ms. Medley, if you would please state your name to the court.” Hard Case asked.

“Sparkling Medley. Owner, CEO, and executive producer of Sparkling Harmony Records.” Sparkler responded, also stating her profession on instinct.

“Good. Now, if you will, please recount to me the events leading up to the arrest of the defendants? Starting from the beginning?” He asked.

“Gladly.” Sparkler responded. “For me, it all started when I was walking alone at night and heard a dumpster lid in an alleyway slam shut. Curious, I went to investigate, and that’s when I first found Melody, who at the time was going by the name Thunder Kicker.” Sparkler said.

“If I may interrupt for just a moment. Judge Strictler stated that Melody was formerly known as Thunder Kicker. If you would please provide a brief explanation just so we’re all aware of the circumstances behind the change in name?” Hard Case asked.

“It happened just before Hearth's Warming. There was a magical accident involving Princess Flurry Heart. The accident caused me to go through an accelerated pregnancy which ended up with me giving birth to Kicker after he was placed in my womb in the initial accident. When he came out. His gender was now that of a filly, and she was born an Alicorn.” Sparkler explained. “It was Melody who requested a name change. After realizing her reasoning behind it, myself and Twilight agreed to make it so.” Sparkler said. “I believe you have the medical reports to back that up Your Honor?” Sparkler asked the judge, which the Judge nodded in response after looking through his papers for a moment.

“Very good. Now, if you will please return to the story? You said you found Melody in a dumpster?” Hard Case asked.

“Yeah. After I found Melody, I had offered to take her back to her house, but she refused, so instead, I offered to take her back to my house. Because no foal her age should be out and about in the dead of night. Especially when it was getting colder out.”

“I see. Go on.” Hard Case urged.

“I took Melody back to my house after she agreed to come home with me. For the rest of the night I could tell that she was acting odd. Like when I had asked her what she wanted for dinner, she looked like somepony who was never asked that question before.” Sparkler said. “Little did I know at the time how true that must have been.”

“When is it that Melody told you about Sparky and Misty?“ Hard Case asked.

“She did not name them, but the morning after I had found her is when she revealed what happened and what she had been through. She told me that she spent three years in captivity and forced to be a servant after her captors murdered her parents and burned their house down. I was shocked that such an accusation could come from a pony so young. But her actions and reactions up til that point gave credence that she was telling the truth.”

“I see. Go on.”

“After she told me her story. I knew right away that I needed help. So that is when I took her to Twilight, who I knew would be able to get confirmation that Melody’s story was true. Suffice to say, she was able to. She wrote to Princess Celestia, who sent investigators River and Nosey to gather testimonies, and maybe see if they can catch Sparky and Misty.” Sparkler explained.

“You knew they would come?” Hard Case asked.

“We did not know. But there was always a chance. Around this time, Princess Celestia granted me temporary guardianship of Melody. Which became permanent later when Twilight and I adopted her.” Sparkler smiled at Twilight and Melody when she said that.

“They eventually came I’m assuming?” Hard Case asked.

“That’s right. They came in the middle of the night, foalnapped Melody out of the room I had set her up in. I will say that Princess Luna deserves a lot of the praise. Were it not for her alerting me in the dream realm, Melody might not be with us today.” Sparkler said. “At the suggestion of Investigator Nosey, I had placed a tracking spell on Melody that remains in effect to this day. It allowed me to quickly locate where Sparky and Misty took her. I arrived just as they were about to kill her, which I managed to stop in the nick of time.”

“Where did they take her?” Hard Case asked.

“I can’t exactly say where exactly it was, but I do know that it was somewhere in the orchard of Sweet Apple Acres.” Sparkler responded.

“Go on.” Hard Case said. “What was Melody’s condition when you arrived?”

“Several bruises, everything was broken, she could not even move without wincing in pain. It absolutely broke my heart to see her like that.” Sparkler said, taking a deep breath to keep her composure.

“I see. What happened next?” Hard Case asked.

“After holding off Sparky and Misty until reinforcements arrived and arrested them, I immediately rushed Melody to the hospital. They came back with a laundry list of health related issues. Such as malnourishment, inadequate weight, broken bones, she had to be in a cast for two weeks. Again, you should have the medical reports up there with you Your Honor.” Sparkler told the Strictler. Again receiving a nod in response after rummaging through papers.

“Very good. Please, continue.” Hard Case said.

“There’s really not much else to say after the arrest. Melody made a full recovery, she started on therapy sessions to help her deal with PTSD resulting in her three years in captivity, Twilight and I adopted her. Magical accident over Hearths Warming, and here we are now.” Sparkler completed her story.

“Are there any more questions?” Strictler asked.

“No more questions your honor. Thank you Ms. Medley. Would Princess Twilight Sparkle please take the stand?” Hard Case asked.

Sparkler nodded and she and Twilight switched places. Hard Case nodded and asked her to recount her version of events. Which Twilight did, giving very similar answers due to being there for pretty much everything Sparkler was there for. As well as confirming as a secondary witness that the magical accident did indeed happen as Sparkler described. At the end of her recount of events. Hard Case thanked her and allowed her to return to her seat. Strictler nodded and turned to Sparky and Misty. “Mr. Rump, you may now take the stand.” He told Sparky.

Sparky smirked and trotted up to the stand. The appointed attorney cleared her throat and took the floor. “Now, Sparky, if you will, please give your side of events.” She asked.

“Gladly!” Sparky responded. “My wife and I didn’t do anything we’re charged with. We were merely trying to protect the foal from the true criminal, THAT Alicorn right there!” He pointed directly at Sparkler when he said that.

Everypony except for Misty gasped, a few jaws dropped, and all eyes turned to Sparkler. “What?!” Sparkler exclaimed involuntarily.

“Three years ago, my wife and I saw Sparkler break into the house, we heard screaming, watched the house burn down, and we managed to get the foal before she could. She had been chasing us for three years until she finally foalnapped our foal and took him to Ponyville. We tried to get him back but she attacked us!” Sparky said. “And then she had the audacity to call the authorities on US when she’s the real crook!”

While Sparky was giving his testimony, Mina was trying her darn hardest to hold Flappy back. Flappy meanwhile was flailing with rage as he tried to rocket towards Sparky. “Squawk! I’m gonna tear that lying little piece of trash apart! Squawk!” He shouted in his rage, fortunately nopony heard him.

“Nngh! Flappy! Calm down!” Mina told him. “There’s absolutely no way in Tartarus they’ll be able to prove that. Just calm down!” She basically ordered her boyfriend.

Flappy flailed for a little bit longer, before finally relenting and settling back down. “Squawk! The jury had better not fall for that crap. Squawk!” He grumbled.

Back in the court room, the appointed attorney continued. “So, what you’re saying is that Sparkling Medley framed you for her alleged crimes?” She asked.

“Yep.” Sparky said. “And I want justice for what she did to that colt and his family. We took him in when he had nopony. Gave him a home, and that menace wanted to take that away.” He said.

Sparkler was trying SO hard to keep her composure, but she could feel the tears coming. They actually are trying to frame ME?!

Sparky and Misty traded places and Misty gave a similar testimony about how Sparkler was the real criminal. Melody, as she listened, was seething in anger. These ponies, who tormented her for three years, were now saying that her adopted mother, who had SAVED her life, was responsible for their crimes?! Are they serious right now?! She knew all the evidence was against them, and yet they had the nerve to try and lie?

“Thank you Mrs. Mystique, you may return to your seat.” The appointed attorney said.

Misty got up and went back to her seat. Sneering at Sparkler as she did so. Which only triggered Sparkler’s momma bear instincts. She had to fight to keep her momma bear side in check.

“Your honor.” The appointed attorney said. “If I may, I now wish to call up another witness to the stand. Ms. Medley.” She said, glancing at Sparkler.

Sparkler nodded and took the witness stand again, she had a good guess what questions were coming.

“Ms. Medley, my clients have alleged that you are attempting to frame them for the crimes that you have committed.” The appointed attorney said.

“I heard. I can assure you that it is most certainly not the case at all.” Sparkler responded.

“Then you would not mind saying where it is you were at the time of the original incident three years ago?” The appointed attorney asked. “We know your whereabouts the night my clients were arrested, but the original?”

“I was in my second year at Saddle Arabia University, all the way in Saddle Arabia.” Sparkler responded confidently. “Working on getting my bachelor’s degree and laying the groundwork for what is now Sparkling Harmony Records.” She explained.

“I see. Is there anypony who can back that claim? Anypony who can confirm that you were where you say you were?” The appointed attorney asked.

Sparkler was about to answer, before she hesitated, there WAS somepony who could verify that she was in school, but that somepony was Flappy. Who wasn’t allowed in there because at the end of the day, he was a pet.

“Excuse me, your honor?” Investigator Nosey suddenly spoke up, walking out onto the floor. “If I may?” Strictler nodded, giving Nosey permission to speak. “See, there is somepony who will probably be able to verify Sparkler’s alibi.”

“Good.” Strictler replied. “Call them to the stand.”

“There is a slight problem your honor. This witness…is a parrot.” Nosey said.

“A…parrot?” Strictler asked, confused.

“Yes your honor, a parrot. Going by the name of Flappy. If you look through your documentation, you should see a testimony from Flappy.” Nosey said.

Strictler looked through his notes, before finding what Nosey was talking about. “Are you saying you received a testimony from a pet?” Strictler asked.

“Flappy is no ordinary parrot your honor. His intelligence and sentience exceeds normal animal level. Enough that he qualifies for a testimony.” Nosey explained.

Strictler thought of a moment, before nodding. “Very well. Would you please summon Flappy to this court room?” He asked.

“Squawk! Already here your honor! Squawk!” Said Flappy, he heard the whole thing and smiled as he flew into the room and landed on the top of the witness stand. “Squawk! Flappy Melody Your Honor. Squawk!”

Sparky and Misty saw the parrot, and Sparky exploded. “This is outrageous! A parrot can’t be a witness! It’s nothing but a dumb animal!” He growled.

While Flappy had to restrain himself. Judge Strictler banged his gavel. “Order! Mr. Rump, I have ruled that Flappy here is an acceptable witness. And we will hear his statement. You would do well to behave yourself or I will be forced to hold you in contempt of court.” He growled. When Sparky grumbled and returned to his seat, Strictler nodded. “Right. You may proceed.” He told Flappy.

“Squawk! Gladly. Squawk!” Flappy responded. Smiling at Sparkler before continuing. “Squawk! I can indeed confirm that Sparkling Medley was at Saddle Arabia University at the time of the original incident. I know because I was physically there with her. Squawk!” Flappy explained.

“Did SAU allow pets?” The appointed attorney asked.

“Squawk! Not exactly. However, given Sparkler’s…less than ideal experiences with other students. I was allowed to serve as a certified service animal to Sparkler throughout her uni days. To help her keep her sanity. Squawk!” Flappy explained.

While that was met with some mutters, particularly from Sparkler’s friends and family who didn’t know Flappy was a certified Service Animal, Strictler nodded. “Very well, thank you for your statement Mr. Flappy.”

“Squawk! Hang on. I have more to say if you’ll let me. Squawk!” Flappy said. He received a nod to continue. “Squawk! I have known Sparkler for just about my whole life. Ever since she saved me from inevitable death and took me in. We’ve been together through thick and thin, through the best of times, and the worst of times. And I can say firsthoof that Sparkling Medley is incapable of such heinous acts that she has been accused of. She understands the hardships that Melody has gone through to a significant degree and all she has ever done is try to help her. Squawk!” Flappy said. After a moment of silence. Flappy nodded. “Squawk! That is all your honor. Squawk!”

“Thank you. You two may return to your seats.” Strictler said.

Flappy and Sparkler returned to the table, Melody gave Flappy a confused look. “You’re a service animal?” She asked Flappy.

“Squawk! Got certified just before your mother started college. In the event history repeated itself. Squawk!” Flappy explained.

Strictler nodded. “Ahem. Sparky, Misty, your testimonies completely contradict the testimonies of Sparkler, Twilight, and Flappy. Due to the amount of evidence stacked against you I am more inclined to believe them, but, it is up to the jury to decide your fate. We shall reconvene in one hour…” He stated.


“Have you reached a decision?” Judge Strictler asked once everypony was back in court after the hour was up.

One of the Jury members stood, and nodded. “We have your honor. We find defendants Sparky Rump and Misty Mystique guilty of all charges. And award damages equal to the total of all medical expenditures for Melody Sparklehearts up to today.” The pony said.

“Very well.” Strictler responded. He turned to Sparky and Misty. “You both have been found guilty of all 18 charges. As such, I am sentencing the both of you to the maximum of 1000 years in prison. With no chance of bail or parole.” He banged his gavel, making it official.

Sparky and Misty gasped. “Your honor—“

That was about as far as anypony else got before the main doors to the court room were suddenly blasted off their hinges and were slammed against the wall behind judge Strictler, Strictler ducked behind his desk while everypony else whirled around and saw a sight that made Twilight furious. “Oh for the love of, not THIS again!” She said at the sight of a bunch of ponies with clear Anti Sparkler signs in what was clearly a riot.

One of the rioters, whom Twilight recognized as Blueblood, searched the court room until he saw Sparkler. “There she is! The falsicorn!” He growled.

That was all the crowd needed before they charged. Heading RIGHT for Sparkler.

Sparkler, working on autopilot, grabbed Melody and dived behind the Witness stand, while also forming a shield around it.

Twilight saw the Nobles rush past her and start bashing on the shield. And screaming at Sparkler.

“Give up your wings!”

“You are not worthy!”

“You do not deserve to be an Alicorn!”

That was all the excuse Twilight needed before she growled and lit her horn, but before she could, there was a bright flash illuminating the room, and the Nobles were all pushed back away from the bubble. When the flash dimmed, Twilight looked at the bubble to see something she wasn’t expecting. Fleur Dis Lee was standing between the Nobles and Sparkler’s bubble. Horn lit, and wings spread.

Twilight’s mind raced while Fleur glared angrily at the Nobles. “Are you all insane?!” She asked. “Do you not realize what you’re doing?!”

Blueblood grimaced before glaring at Fleur. “Get out of the way Fleur, that menace needs to pay for what she did to—What the…” Blueblood noticed Fleur’s wings. “Fleur?! You’re a—“

“Yes. I’m an Alicorn. Been one all my life and was born like this. And no! I am NOT a princess.” Fleur said. Fleur and Fancypants had attended the trial, and the moment she saw the Nobles, any sense of urgency that Fleur had in keeping her wings hidden vanished when she went to protect Sparkler and her daughter. “You all should be ASHAMED of yourselves!” She roared.

“Us?! That menace refuses to wear a crown, refuses to give up her wings. She should be the one who’s ashamed of giving Alicorns a bad name!” A noble growled.

“SO WHAT?!” Fleur shouted. “So what if she’s an Alicorn? So what if I’M an Alicorn? Being an Alicorn does NOT mean you have to be royalty!“ She growled.

“But it’s-“ A noble tried to say before Fleur cut them off.

“No! It may be the norm, but it is most certainly not a requirement. You can be one without the other. The two concepts are completely independent of each other!” Fleur growled. “Sparkler has spent her entire life dealing with ponies berating her for being an Alicorn. And now she’s having to put up with you lot just because she made a choice on how to live HER life!” She roared. “Equestria was built on the foundation of friendship. Of freedom. What you pinbrains are doing flies right in the face of those beliefs. It is Sparkler’s life and she will choose to live it as she wishes. And if you don’t like that. TOO BUCKING BAD!” She roared. She glanced at Celestia. “Princess Celestia, the floor is yours.” She said.

Celestia nodded quickly and got up to address the rioters. “All of you are to report to my castle immediately. There I shall give you your FINAL warning. I will not tolerate your shenanigans any longer.” She said. “Now go!”

The Nobles, now facing several angry Alicorns, decided to just grimace and leave. Celestia watched them go and nodded in satisfaction. “What the hay did they think was going to happen today.” She asked under her breath.

Investigators Nosey and River, as well as Chief Quill, finally came out of their shock from what just happened, they went to ask Fleur some questions, before noticing something that was very, very wrong. The right table, the one Sparky and Misty were occupying, was EMPTY.

“No!” Quill gasped.

“For real?!” Nosey groaned.

Everypony else raised an eyebrow before they saw the same thing the officers were seeing, Sparky and Misty were gone.

When Celestia saw this, her face turned to pure rage. Sparky and Misty had used the riot to escape. “Chief Quill.” She said.

“Y-yes, Your Majesty?” Quill asked.

“I want every Noble taken into custody. They lost that final chance I had given them.” Celestia announced.

“Yes Your Majesty!” Quill responded before sprinting out of the courtroom.

Sparkler and Melody meanwhile, poked their heads up from behind the witness stand, seeing the aftermath of the chaos. They saw that Sparky and Misty had escaped. And while Sparkler’s jaw dropped, Melody glanced over at her other mom, who was stock still. “Uh…Mommy Twi?” She asked.

In that moment, Twilight burst into a raging flame monster, and screamed at the top of her lungs in pure, unhinged rage. “I HATE NOBLES!” Could be heard throughout Canterlot. Everypony nearby jumped back. Even Celestia had to take a few steps back, having never seen Twilight this furious before.

Sparkler meanwhile kept staring at the broken entrance. Her mind racing. If I ever see those two again, I don’t care what happens to me, THEY, ARE, DEAD!


Soon after their great escape, Sparky and Misty rushed into an alleyway, where they finally managed to get rid of the shackles. “Finally! We’re free.” Sparky said.

“Yeah. Thanks to me for instigating that riot!” A new voice growled. Sparky and Misty turned to see their boss with a cloak on. “And now that you’re out, we can finally begin the next phase of my plan.” He said.

“What’s that?” Misty asked.

“The defamation of that Menace!” Silver-Mane responded.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

Well, Sparky and Misty have been convicted and will be going to jail for the rest of their lives...they just need to recapture them first.

But the silver lining is that this was the final straw for Celestia with the Nobles. So let's take that victory at least.

And Fleur is officially out of the closet. So, Let's call this an ending that's not exactly a happy ending but one where we can pick up some good parts. :)

THX FOR READING! SEE YOU ALL FOR THE FINAL CHAPTER OF THE SEASON!

PreviousChapters Next