• Published 19th Dec 2020
  • 1,923 Views, 1,138 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Season Two - Captain_Cosmos



Sparkler and her friends are back for new adventures!

  • ...
14
 1,138
 1,923

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 39: ...Awkward...

“I can’t believe it. I can’t believe it. I just can’t believe it!” Twilight repeated as she paced back and forth several times in panic.

“You can’t believe you have a crush on Sparkler, that you were oblivious to it, or that Sparkler has a crush on you back?” Spike asked. Both he and Starlight trying so hard not to laugh.

“The only one of those three that isn’t surprising now that I think about it is that Sparkler loves me!” Twilight replied. “I can’t believe I have a crush on her, and I was oblivious to it til now!”

“I’m just surprised I’m not surprised it took a research session to get you to see it.” Starlight commented.

“Not helping Starlight!” Twilight deadpanned. “This is serious!”

“Twilight, relax.” Starlight said. “So you have a crush and that crush likes you back. What’s the big deal?”

“I’ve just never felt this way about anypony before!” Twilight replied. “And nopony’s ever felt that way about me either.”

“Wait, so you and Flash Sentry were never a thing?” Spike asked.

“No Spike, we weren’t. It was a passing crush, nothing more.” Twilight said. “This one is much more. So much more.” She added.

“So. What’re you gonna do about it?” Starlight asked.

“I-I don’t know. There are so many variables to consider here. Sparkler’s past and what that did to her emotionally, the fact that she’s currently petitioning to adopt Kicker…I need to see Rarity!” With that, Twilight lit her horn and poofed out of there. Leaving Starlight and Spike to look at the research data they helped Twilight collect, glance at each other, and then they both burst out laughing in relief.

“Make it an experiment. How the hay did WE not think of that?!” Spike asked.

“Well, actually it may be a good thing because it delayed this research session, but it gave us more data to work with.” Starlight said. “And it gave HER more proof that she is in fact in love with Sparkler.”

“Now we just have to get them to confess to each other and everything will be hunky dory.” Spike said. “And Sparkler already took the first step, even if it was accidental.”

Starlight nodded, then thought of something that made her chuckle. “Hehe. I wonder if we can get her to tell Sparkler today.”

“Nah, the Author isn’t planning on it for a while.” Spike replied.

“Huh?” Asked a confused Starlight.

“Well, you see—“

“Hey!” Starlight and Spike suddenly found themselves under the scrutiny of Pinkie Pie.

“Pinkie?!” Spike and Starlight exclaimed, shocked.

“I came here to get Starlight so we can bake Sparkler’s Birthday Cake, but apparently I need to also remind Spike that he isn’t allowed to break the fourth wall. That’s MY shtick!” Pinkie said.

“Uh…”

“Anywho, come on Starlight! There’s cake to be baked!” Pinkie grabbed Starlight’s hoof and pulled her out of the library, leaving a very confused Spike.

“Uh…what just happened?” He asked.


“So you accidentally confessed your love for Twilight in your sleep Sparkler?” Rarity asked.

“Squawk! Yeah. She did. In response to Twilight stroking her with her wing. Squawk!” Flappy answered before Sparkler could open her mouth.

Sparkler, Flappy, and Kicker were all at the Carousel Boutique, Rarity was measuring Kicker for a new winter coat that she had convinced Sparkler through horn pulse that he could use, which Sparkler agreed after checking his trunk and finding he had basically nothing apart from a few blankets and a pillow in there.

“Oh that is simply adorable!” Rarity said.

“Yeah. And because of that I may have just ruined our friendship. Ugh! Why did I have to do that!” Sparkler groaned. It had been two and a half hours since she learned she confessed on accident, and she still couldn’t stop worrying. “Ugh! As nice as that felt, I wish she hadn’t done that. I wasn’t ready. And now our friendship is in danger!” She exclaimed.

“Sparkler, Darling. If I may, you are overreacting.” Rarity said as she took another of Kicker’s measurements. “Your friendship with Twilight is very much not in danger.”

“And what makes you so sure about that?!” Sparkler asked. “Things aren’t gonna be the same between us now!”

“Of that I have no doubt.” Rarity replied. “But Twilight isn’t one to end friendships over something like this. And I dare say that she has taken a particular liking to you darling.” She added.

“Me?” Sparkler asked, confused. “Why me?”

“It’s quite simple darling. Out of all of us in our circle of friends, you’re the one she has the most fun with.” Rarity said. “You two have more in common with each other than any of us have with Twilight.”

“Squawk! Astronomy, science, learning, magic, Daring Do. Squawk!” Flappy interjected with a list of common interests.

“I’m sure she has fun with the rest of you girls too.” Sparkler replied.

“Of course she does. She just has the most fun with you.” Rarity responded. “And beyond that. You also offer her something we cannot.”

“What’s that?” Sparkler asked.

“A mystery. A big, juicy mystery.” Rarity replied. “I am certain you have realized by now that an Alicorn born to two non-Alicorn parents is something that has never happened before.”

“Yeah. So?” Sparkler responded.

“In case you haven’t noticed by now. Twilight adores mysteries as big as Alicorn Mysteries. So imagine her joy when she realized she had a chance to solve possibly the biggest mystery she has ever encountered.” Rarity told Sparkler.

Sparkler’s brain took a second to process that before she found words again. “Are you saying she’s only hanging out with me because I’m a walking miracle?” Sparkler asked, a hint of dejection forming within her.

“Of course not darling!” Rarity quickly said, realizing what that must’ve sounded like to a Sparkler. “Twilight would never do that. I’m simply saying that you are basically the most ideal friend for her.” She said. “There’s no way in hay that Twilight would ever give up her friendship with you.”

“Oh…ok.” Sparkler replied. The feeling of dejection dissipating. “But…she now knows that I love her.”

“Yes. And no doubt things will be awkward, at least for a while.” Rarity said. “But you shouldn't worry about your friendship with her. It is as intact as ever. Of that I can assure you.” She added.

“Ok. If you say so.” Sparkler said. “Still, I probably should talk to her though.” She said.

“The sooner the better.” Rarity said. “The next time you see her would be ideal.”

“But…what if she doesn’t return my feelings? What if she just wants to be friends?” Sparkler asked.

“Well then that’s up to her. But whether you’re friends or marefriends, the bond you two share will never break.” Rarity assured Sparkler.

“If you say so.” Sparkler said.

“I have no doubt darling.” Rarity said as she took the final measurements.

“I wouldn’t mind if Twilight became my second mom.” Kicker commented after a moment of silence.

That statement caused Flappy to burst out laughing, Rarity to chuckle, and Sparkler to blush like mad as she also chuckled.

“I guess we know this little darling’s stance on you and Twilight. Hehe.” Rarity said.

“Squawk! Ha! See? The kid gets it! Squawk!” Flappy said as he continued laughing his tail off.

Sparkler walked over and leaned in to nuzzle Kicker. “Nice to know you like her sweetie.” She said.

“Yeah. No problems here.” Kicker replied, returning the nuzzle.

Rarity smiled at the sight. Like everypony else in their circle of friends, she was amazed at how far Sparkler had come from being a unicorn pretender in just a few weeks. Even more so when you considered Sparkler’s foalhood and the abuse she endured from her peers. She shook her head clear of the thought and glanced at her notepad. She found that she had all the measurements she needed.

“And that's all the measurements I need!” She announced happily. “If you all will wait here I shall have Kicker’s new coat done in no time at all.”

“Surely you can’t make a good coat all that fast.” Sparkler commented.

“Oh Sparkler.” Rarity chuckled. “You underestimate me. I shall have a coat done within the hour.” She started for her back room to get to work, but then stopped when an idea came to her. “Oh Kicker dear.” She turned her head to look at the colt. “Would you be interested in watching as I make your coat? Perhaps you would like a firsthoof look at how I turn ideas into fashion.” She fluttered her eyes at him with a smile. “It could be fun.” She added.

That caused Kicker to blush. As did most ponies when Rarity pulled that move. “Uhm…sure…can I mom?” He asked, turning to Sparkler.

“Sure.” Sparkler said. She glanced at Rarity. “Will I be able to fit in with you guys in the back room?” She asked Rarity.

“Uh…I don’t think so darling.” Rarity replied. “I can place Kicker on a table, but I’m afraid 2 adult ponies might be overcrowding a bit.”

“O-oh…” Kicker responded, suddenly second guessing his choice.

Flappy saw Kicker’s expression change and reacted accordingly. “Squawk! How about a parrot? Squawk!” He asked Rarity.

“A parrot will fit easily.” Rarity replied, getting what Flappy was doing.

It worked. Kicker’s mood improved at the thought of Flappy coming with them. “You coming Flappy?” He asked.

“Squawk! Yeah. Squawk!” Flappy replied with a nod.

“Splendid!” Rarity said. “Then let us go and see what goes into making fashion!” With as much care as she could, Rarity encased Kicker in her magic and gently placed him on her back.

Sparkler bit her lip. “Make sure to put him somewhere safe.” She told Rarity.

“Of course darling.” Rarity replied. “And I’m sure that if I don’t I shall have a very angry parrot on my tail.”

“Squawk! You better believe it. Squawk!” Flappy responded. “Squawk! And a very ticked off Alicorn. Squawk!”

“Of course.” Rarity giggled. She knew full well that it was a legitimate threat. “Don’t worry. I’ll take good care of him. Just relax out here Sparkler. And maybe figure out how you’re gonna tell Twilight how you feel.”

“I already told her though.” Sparkler said. “On accident in my sleep.”

“That was not a proper confession darling. You need to explain to her why you have feelings for her. What made you fall for her. You know she’s going to want to know those things.” Rarity explained as she, Kicker on her back, and Flappy headed to the back room. “Trust me darling. I’m an expert.” With that, the trio entered the back room. Leaving Sparkler to her thoughts.

She’ll want to know those things. Rarity’s words rang through Sparkler’s head. Rarity had a point. Twilight WOULD want to know why she loved her. And boy oh boy could Sparkler make a whole essay on the topic. She giggled at the essay thought. Imagine if I hoofed her an essay. A whole thesis on why I love her. I wonder how she would react to that. She giggled. Knowing the Alicorn bookworm, she’d probably grade it, and then tell her her thoughts.

“I wonder what she’d look like with glasses.” Sparkler commented to herself, blinking as the random thought suddenly produced an image. An image of Twilight in glasses. Sweet tap dancing Faust! In her mind, Twilight looked good in glasses. She subconsciously started glancing around, and, as if her mind was on a Twilight induced autopilot, started imagining Twilight in every garment she saw, well, every garment that had wing holes given Twilight had wings. And suffice to say, Twilight made every garment work in one way or another. After a while, her eyes came upon a tux, and her mind immediately imagined HER in that tux, dancing with Twilight in one of the dresses. She smiled at the image.

“All it took was moving to Ponyville.” She giggled at the thought as she felt the urge, and the musical accompaniment, to sing.

🎶Every single day, ponies find a spark.

That special light, in the blackest dark.

For years and years, I’ve wandered in this void.

Trapped without a light, by my own anatomy.🎶

Though in reality nothing was happening, in Sparkler’s mind, the lights had turned off, save for a pair of spotlights, one on her, and another on a past her and Twilight, running through her memories.

🎶But now that I am here. All of that has changed.

I’m finally free to be myself. I can finally see a light.🎶

She smiled warmly at Daydream Twilight.

🎶And it’s all thanks to her.

She’s the North Star to my sky. The sun to my moon.

Whenever we are together, she’s the brighter star.

She rocks my whole world, she’s the words to my tune.

Someday it could be, Twilight and me.🎶

Right at that moment, going completely unnoticed by a totally daydreaming Sparkler, Twilight popped into the boutique in a magenta puff of smoke, with a nervous look on her face. “Rarity I—“ That was as far as she got before the sight in front of her shut her right up. Standing in front of her, seemingly oblivious to Twilight’s entry, was Sparkler. Twilight’s eyes widened. What the, what the frax is she doing here?! Her mind caught up with her as she registered that Sparkler was singing.

🎶Over the course of our friendship, she’s expanded my horizons.

Showed me I wasn’t a freak, but rather just unique.

Before I had hidden my wings, acting like they weren’t there.

But now because of her. I embrace them as part of me.

I see now what I really am, an Alicorn as we are.

And all because of her…

She’s the North Star to my sky. The sun to my moon.

Whenever we are together, she’s the brighter star.

She rocks my whole world, she’s the words to my tune.

Someday it could be, Twilight and me…🎶

Sparkler’s apparent song came to an end, with her back turned to Twilight, having no idea that she had an audience for presumably the second half of her song.

Twilight sat there, floored by what she just heard. Sparkler had been singing a song…about her. I…I… Twilight’s head struggled to process it. She hadn’t expected Sparkler to be there period, much less there SINGING about her.

For a few seconds, nopony moved. Sparkler was probably just waiting for Rarity or something. And Twilight dared not say anything lest she scare the other Alicorn.

Unfortunately for her, fate would be cruel. Because Twilight suddenly felt something land on her nose. She looked down and saw it. The red and black menace that had plagued her for as long as she could remember, the vicious, the vile, the most disgusting creature ever to walk Equestria.

“Ahh! Ladybug!” Twilight yelped as she moved to swat it away, backing up in fear.

Twilight’s sudden shout startled Sparkler out of her Twilight induced daydreams and she whipped around to see something, or rather, somepony, that surprised her so much that she screamed in shock and panic, which caused Twilight to scream.

In the back room, Flappy, Rarity and Kicker heard the screams, and the reaction from Kicker was immediate. He fell over on his back and wiggled around, trying to get on his hooves and go hide. “What was that?!” He shouted in panic.

Flappy launched into the air and flew out of the back room, he came back a second later. “Squawk! Just Sparkler and Twilight. Squawk!” He said.

“Twilight?” Rarity asked. “What could she possibly be here for?”

“Squawk! I don’t know. But you go see what that was all about. I’ll calm Kicker down. Squawk!” Flappy told Rarity. He then landed on the table and helped Kicker back into his sitting position. “Squawk! Kicker, it was only Mom and Twilight. Nothing to worry about. Squawk!” He said.

“Nothing to worry about? They screamed.” Kicker replied.

“I’m sure it’s nothing bad.” Rarity said as she trotted out into the main area, where she found Sparkler and Twilight. Who were talking at the same time.

“Twilight?!”

“Sparkler?!”

“What are you doing here?”

“What am I doing here? I came to see Rarity!”

“How long have you been here?”

“Why are we talking at the same time.”

“Stop it.”

“Seriously! Stop it!”

“Sparkler! Twilight!” Rarity shouted. Causing Sparkler and Twilight to shut up and look away from each other, their cheeks as red as tomatoes.

“Now, will somepony please explain what that screaming was?” Rarity asked them. “You scared the horseapples out of me Flappy and Kicker.”

“What?!” Sparkler exclaimed. “Kicker!” Without a second thought, Sparkler raced to the backroom to check on Kicker.

Rarity watched her go, and turned to Twilight. “I assume you were the cause of all of this Twilight. Mind telling me what happened?” She asked.

“Well…Uhm…” Twilight’s blushing didn’t go away in embarrassment. “I may have teleported in here…and a Ladybug flew onto my nose and I screamed in terror, but why’s Sparkler here?”

Rarity gave Twilight a perplexed look. “I offered to make Kicker a new coat for the winter. The poor dear only had a few blankets and a pillow to his name before he met Sparkler.” She replied. “Now if I may return the question. What brings you here?” She asked.

“I’d rather not say until Sparkler leaves…it’s private.” Twilight replied, unable to hide her blushing.

Rarity’s eyes widened as it clicked with her what Twilight meant. “Well.” She said. “Fortunately for you, Kicker and I were just making sure the coat fits. Give me a second.” She added. She turned around and walked to the back room.

In the back room she found Sparkler and Kicker comforting Kicker. She cleared her throat to announce her presence. “Ahem. Excuse me. Is everything ok in here?” She asked.

“Yeah.” Sparkler replied. “Everything’s fine.”

“Good.” Rarity said with a relieved smile. “So Kicker. How do you like your new coat?”

Kicker glanced down at his new coat. It was mainly a violet blue to complement his light orange, with green stripes to complement his mane. The soft fur insulation side the coat was also green. And finally, the back had Sparkler’s cutie mark sewn onto it, seeing as how Kicker wasn’t quite old enough to have a cutie mark yet. “I love it!” He exclaimed with a smile. “Thank you Rarity!” He said.

“My pleasure darling.” Rarity replied triumphantly.

“This was a good idea you had Rarity.” Sparkler said. “So. How much do I owe you?” She asked.

Rarity let out a sigh. “In accordance with our deal from a few weeks ago. I shall only require 10 bits for this commission.” She said.

Sparkler nodded and lit her horn. Teleporting the requested bits and letting them land on the table. “There you go.” She said. “Thanks again Rarity.”

“No trouble at all darling. Now—“

At that moment, everypony heard a screeching cat and Flappy’s irises shrunk to near invisibility. “Squawk! Oh no. Squawk!” He spread his wings and went to take off, before before he could, something scratched him and disabled his right wing. He grunted in pain as he felt something pounce on him.

Sparkler, Kicker, and Rarity watched as Rarity’s cat Opal scratched Flappy to keep him down, and then pounced on him, by that point she had moved Kicker onto her back so he tightened his grip on her in fear, and Rarity, after coming to her senses, immediately lit her horn and pried Opal off Flappy. “Opal! That is NOT how you treat our guests! Cease this behavior right now!”

Opal did as she was told and stopped squirming in Rarity’s magical grip. She turned her attention to Flappy. “Flappy! I’m so terribly sorry for this. Are you ok?”

“Squawk! I hate that cat. Squawk!” Flappy groaned. He looked like he was unable to move anything. “Squawk! Sparkler. Can we go to Fluttershy so she can fix me? Squawk!”

Sparkler lit her horn and carefully maneuvered Flappy so he was cradled in her wings. “We’ll go right now.” She said.

“Then I bid you farewell to you three. Please come by again sometime.” Rarity said.

“Squawk! Not if that cat’s here. Squawk!” Flappy replied.

“Flappy, don't be rude.” Sparkler told him. The four left the back room and Sparkler headed for the front door.

Twilight watched as Sparkler walked past her. “Uhm…sorry about that Sparkler. Didn’t mean to scare you guys…Ladybugs just creep me out.” She apologized.

“It’s fine Twi. See you later.” With that, Sparkler left with Kicker and Flappy.

Once the door closed, Rarity locked it with her magic, she sensed she was gonna have to close for a bit. “Now.” She said to Twilight. “First off, you can relax now. Sparkler’s gone.”

Twilight let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding and her blush finally faded. Rarity nodded. “Based on what’s happened here just now. I assume that you had an epiphany concerning Sparkler. An epiphany of the romantic variety?” She asked.

Twilight smiled sheepishly, and nodded. “Yeah.” She said simply.

Rarity smiled and gestured to the stairs. “Let’s go up to my kitchen darling. And you can tell me all about it.”

To be continued…

Author's Note:

To explain Twilight's fear of Ladybugs being a thing.

this episode takes place before Starlight tries to cure her using hypnosis.

Anywho, Yep. This was a hoot to write.

I'm still taking questions. Remember to specify who the question is for.
Anniversary Q&A!

THX FOR READING!

PreviousChapters Next