• Published 19th Dec 2020
  • 1,923 Views, 1,138 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Season Two - Captain_Cosmos



Sparkler and her friends are back for new adventures!

  • ...
14
 1,138
 1,923

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 49: Checkup

It was a nice, bright winter day as the town of Ponyville was bustling with activity. Among the ponies out and about were Aurora, Thundercracker, and Kicker riding on Aurora’s back. Following Twilight’s suggestion, they were headed to the hospital for Kicker’s checkup.

Kicker saw the hospital approaching in the distance and tightened his grip on his grandma. “Do I have to go back there?” He asked.

“Afraid so Kicker.” Thundercracker replied. “Your mothers want you to get checked out by the doctor so that no more allergies catch us by surprise.”

Kicker nodded in response. “But does it have to be now?” Indeed, this would mark the third time within a month that Kicker would visit the hospital, something he would rather not do.

“Hey, I promise this time it’ll be easy. All you have to do is sit there and let the doctor examine you. Nothing more.” Aurora assured her grandson with a nuzzle.

“Will it hurt?” Kicker asked.

“It won’t.” Thundercracker replied. “And besides, grandma and I will be right there in the room with you.” He assured the young colt.

“Promise?” Kicker asked, hugging his grandma tighter.

“Promise.” Aurora replied. All we have to do is use Twilight’s title like she said and we’ll be all good…hopefully. Aurora actually was a little nervous about it. It’s great that Sparkler’s made a life for herself here. But at the same time… Her thoughts trailed off when they reached the hospital.

In the Hospital reception area. The receptionist behind the desk was busy sorting through paperwork. They continued working until they heard somepony speak. “Hi. We were looking to see if we could get our grandson in for a routine checkup and an allergy scan today?” The pony asked.

The receptionist glanced up from his work and saw a pair of ponies standing there. With a third riding on the mare’s back. “Routine checkup and allergy scan? That right?” He asked.

“Yes.” The stallion replied.

The receptionist nodded and glanced down at his paperwork. After a moment. He shook his head. “Sorry, we don’t have any available slots open for an appointment today. If you want I can schedule you in for the next available slot?” He offered.

The mare and the stallion glanced at each other before the mare spoke. “His mother, Princess Twilight, was insistent for an appointment today. Are you sure there’s nopony available who’s qualified?” She asked.

At the mention of Princess Twilight, the receptionist tensed up. He looked at his paper work again, and then back at the mare and stallion. “I only have a list of doctors with me, but I can check to see if there is anypony if you're willing to wait. Uh, name of the patient?” He asked.

“Thunder Kicker.” The stallion responded.

“Alright. Just wait out here and I’ll go see if there’s anypony available. In the mean time.” He lit his horn and levitated a clipboard with papers clamped to it. “You can fill out these forms. Just some general information, like known allergies, any previous medical stuff we should know about. That kinda thing. Though.” His mind caught up with him and he remembered a little detail. “You said you were his grandparents?” He asked.

“That’s right.” The mare replied.

“Ok, then unfortunately you’ll need consent from the foal’s parents before we can disclose any information about today’s visit to you.” The receptionist explained.

“We do have their consent.” The stallion explained. “They asked us to bring Kicker here to get a checkup and allergy scan.”

“Hmm.” The receptionist bit his lip. “Did they give their consent in writing? That’s usually what we require.”

“Unfortunately they were away on business when they asked us.” The mare responded. “So they couldn’t exactly give their consent in writing.”

“Ooh. Ok then…” The receptionist glanced around. “Hmmm…this is a problem—“

“Well never fear! Pinkie Pie is here!” All of a sudden, Pinkie Pie sprang up from a nearby plant pot and landed on the ground.

The sudden newcomer unsurprisingly scared the heck out of everypony there. Kicker shrieked, fell off his grandma’s back, and ran under a chair to hide.

While Thundercracker saw this and rushed over to calm him down, the receptionist, after getting over his shock, groaned. “Grah! Pinkie! Did you have to do that?” He asked.

“Do what?” Pinkie asked. “Anyway, I got a sense saying something very important was needed.” Pinkie reached into her mane and pulled out a paper. She hoofed it to the receptionist. “Here you go! A consent form stating that Sparkler and Twilight give permission for Thundercracker and Aurora to be informed of any and all results related to today’s doctor’s appointment for Thunder Kicker.” She explained.

Before the receptionist could even question it. Pinkie Pie smiled and waved. “Alright! I’m off. Bye everypony!” With that, she bounded away.

Everypony watched her go. And Aurora raised an eyebrow. “I’m not the only one confused as to what just happened right?” She asked.

“It’s a general rule here in Ponyville that we don’t question Pinkie Pie in order to keep our sanity, but at the same time…” The receptionist trailed off. After a second, he shook his head. “Well. Uh…” He glanced at the consent form Pinkie brought. “Everything seems to be in order.” He hooved the paperwork on a clipboard to the mare. “So just fill these out to the best of your ability and I’ll go see if somepony is available to perform a checkup for Thunder Kicker.”

Aurora nodded as she took the clipboard in her mouth. “Thank you.” She said.

The receptionist nodded and scurried off while Aurora trotted to where Kicker and Thundercracker were sitting, Kicker clinging to his grandpa and still nervous.


Pinkie trotted up to a door to a hut in the Everfree forest and knocked. “Zecora! It’s Pinkie!” She called.

The door opened after a second and revealed a female Zebra, who smiled at Pinkie.

“Ah, Pinkie Pie. What a surprise.” Zecora greeted Pinkie. “What brings you to my humble home in this mysterious forest?” She asked.

“Do you have any Allergy detection potions?” Pinkie asked. “The hospital needs one as soon as possible.” She explained.

“Ah. Somepony is in need of knowledge as to what ails them.” Zecora responded. “I have many elixirs. I shall provide an allergy detection potion.” She added.

“Awesome!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Thanks!”


“Alright Kicker, nearly done. Just gotta take a look in your mouth. Can you open as wide as you can please?” Nurse Redheart asked.

Kicker nodded and opened his mouth as wide as he could. After Pinkie Pie apparently saved the day with a pre-written consent form she somehow had on hoof, Nurse Redheart was able to give Kicker the checkup. She had checked his heart pulse, blood pressure, reflexes, eye sight, weight, height, and hearing. A task that was much easier now that he wasn’t in a cast.

Now all that was left was the mouth…for some reason. Redheart shined a light in his mouth and took a peak. After a moment, she switched off the light, took a note on her clipboard, and smiled. “You can close your mouth now Kicker. Thanks.”

Kicker closed his mouth, Aurora nuzzled his cheek, and Thundercracker turned his attention to the nurse. “So what’s the scoop?” He asked.

“Well, I’m glad we could do this checkup. It provides us with a good baseline for future appointments.” Redheart replied. “For that baseline. Eye sight’s normal for a foal his age, heart rate and blood pressure is about where I’d expect it to be given his medical history as we know it…” She trailed off. Everypony gave off a slight shiver. Redheart shook her head and continued. “His reflexes are as good as they can be for his age. His teeth are in good shape. Though I’d recommend he see a dentist soon for a proper examination in that area. Overall Kicker is about as healthy as can be expected. I’d say the biggest thing is weight and nutrition. He’s not QUITE where he should be for a five year old foal but he’s not too far down. So long as he eats everything on his plate every meal, and maybe add in a snack or two every day, he should get to where he should be in no time.” Redheart explained.

“Dentist appointment, and make sure he eats everything.” Aurora responded. “Got it.”

Redheart smiled and nodded. “Great. Checkup is done. It also says here that we should do an Allergy check. Did this come about because of an allergy surfacing or just something Kicker’s parents want done?” She asked.

“Peanut allergy made itself known yesterday.” Thundercracker replied.

“Peanut allergy.” Redheart made a note of that on her clipboard. “So that’s one confirmed allergy. Unfortunately there’s a bit of a problem. We just ran out of Allergy detection elixir, and all our Unicorn doctors are unavailable at the moment.” Redheart regretfully informed them.

“What does that mean?” Aurora asked. “We can’t get the Allergy test done today?”

“Yeah. We can’t do it today. Unless some miracle happens.” Redheart replied.

“Luckily for you, we got my Pinkie Sense!” All of a sudden, Pinkie sprang out from a cabinet and landed on her hooves on the floor, with a smile on her face.

The response was everypony screaming and Kicker ducking behind his grandma in fear.

Redheart got over the shock, and shook her head. “Grah! Pinkie! Why can’t you use the door like everypony else?” She asked.

“I did use the door silly.” Pinkie replied cheerfully. Clearly referring to the cabinet door. “Anywho.” Pinkie reached into her mane and pulled out a bottle. “Here’s a bottle of Allergy elixir straight from Zecora!” She hoofed the bottle to Redheart. “Ok! Now my role in this episode is done. See ya later!” With that, Pinkie bounced out of the room. Leaving behind a room full of confused ponies.

Thundercracker shook himself out of his shock. “The Tartarus is up with that mare?” He asked.

“Never question Pinkie Pie.” Redheart replied. “It won’t end well for your sanity.” She glanced at the bottle and sighed. “Well…guess we can do the allergy test now.” She said.

Aurora smiled and scooted over to the side to reveal Kicker. “Hey, it’s ok.” Aurora told the colt. “Nothing else is gonna pop out of nowhere.”

After a second, Kicker nodded and slowly came out of his hiding spot. Redheart smiled warmly at him and held out the elixir for him, which she had already opened. “Alright Kicker. All you have to do is drink this. And then spit it back out. Real easy.” She told him.

“Spit it out?” Thundercracker asked, confused.

“The way this elixir works is that it goes in clear as water. And then comes out as any number of colors.” Redheart responded. “Each known allergy has a unique color assigned to it. Peanut Allergy for example has the color red. When Kicker spits it out the elixir will be red, plus any other color to represent any other allergy he has.” She explained.

“I spit it back into the bottle?” Kicker asked.

“Mmhmm.” Redheart nodded in response.

Understanding what he had to do, Kicker took the bottle in his hooves, and drank the potion. He immediately spat it back into the bottle when the elixir touched his taste buds. It tasted awful. “Ugh. It tastes awful.” He commented.

Redheart chuckled. “That’s what makes spitting it out so easy.” She replied as she took the bottle from Kicker and examined it’s contents. “Now. Let’s see what allergies you have.” She looked closely at the bottle, and saw that the contents were all red. She smiled after a second. “Good news. You only have a Peanut Allergy Kicker.” She announced.

“Thank goodness.” Thundercracker replied.

“Yeah.” Kicker agreed. He was relieved it was only a peanut allergy.

“Thank you Nurse Redheart.” Aurora said.

Redheart nodded, took a few more notes down on her clipboard, and smiled. “I’ll walk you back out to the reception area and we’ll get a copy of today’s results made for you to take home.” She said.

“I’m sure Sparkler and Twilight will appreciate that.” Aurora commented.

Redheart nodded and pushed the door out of the room open. “After you.”

To be continued…

Author's Note:

Pinkie saves the day twice. Good job Pinkie. Ya scared Kicker though so...

THX FOR READING!

PreviousChapters Next