• Published 19th Dec 2020
  • 1,923 Views, 1,138 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Season Two - Captain_Cosmos



Sparkler and her friends are back for new adventures!

  • ...
14
 1,138
 1,923

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 41: Inspection and Interview

The train came to a screeching halt at Ponyville station. Once it came to a halt, it opened its doors and allowed ponies to disembark or board. One of the ponies that disembarked was Betty Pringle from Foal Protection Services. A saddlebag full of paperwork on her back, she walked off the platform and out of the station into the town of Ponyville.

“And here I thought the FPS didn’t need to worry about anything happening in Ponyville.” She commented.

“Have you heard the things that happened here in recent years?” Asked a pony from the side. Betty turned and smiled when she saw a trio of familiar ponies.

“This is par for the course in this town these days.” Said River.

“Nosey, River, and Pearl.” Betty responded with a smile. “This is a surprise. What are all of you doing here?” She asked.

“Hi Ms. Pringle!” Pearl responded with a wave. “We live here now.” She said.

“Really?” Betty asked, surprised.

“We were transferred here.” Nosey replied. “Special assignment from Chief Quill in response to the Nobles’ behavior towards a certain non Royal Alicorn.”

Betty got what Nosey was saying and shook her head. “Self-centered featherbrains. Somepony has something they want and when they can’t have it they make a scene.” She remarked.

“That’s an understatement and a half. This time it’s an entire movie they’re making.” River responded, which resulted in the four of them chuckling.

“Well, I’d love to stay and chat further.” Betty said after a moment. “But I’ve got somewhere to be. Oh, speaking of, mind telling me where 453 Pony Street is?”

“Sparkler’s house.” Nosey said. “So you’re here for the next step in the adoption process.”

“Right.” Betty replied.


“Ooh! How about a bunny next!” Kicker suggested.

“Great idea Kicker!” Airwaves replied with a smile. Green flames engulfed him and sizzled out after a second, leaving behind a cute little bunny.

“Aww!” Sparkler and Lyrica exclaimed.

“You make the cutest bunny Airwave.” Sparkler said.

Maddy ran up to bunny Airwave and barked happily. Giving him licks and then jumping all around him, as if to say she wanted to play. The sight made the ponies giggle.

“Maddy’s certainly impressed.” Lyrica said.

“She’s been very playful since we got her.” Sparkler said as she watched Airwave oblige Maddy and start hopping around with her. It was another beautiful winter day and Airwave and Lyrica had come over with the intention of recording some songs, but it very quickly morphed into what Airwave called Random Animal Rally. A game where he would turn into any animal that anypony called out. Suffice to say, once they explained exactly what was gonna happen to Kicker, everypony was having fun. And it was especially cute to see Maddy’s reactions to Airwave’s animals.

“So.” Lyrica said to Sparkler. “How’s Flappy taking not being the only pet in the house anymore?” She asked. “Is he jealous he’s not getting all the attention anymore?”

“I’m pretty sure he has Maddy on the three strike system. But otherwise he’s been pretty welcoming to her. And Kicker here.” She wrapped a wing around Kicker and smiled down at him. “I can tell Maddy likes him the best. In the two days and two nights we’ve had her. The only times she hasn’t at least been in the same room as him are when she needs to go out, or—“

At that moment, Maddy stopped hopping around with Airwave and looked straight at the front door. After a second, she began barking like a mad dog and ran to the front door, scratching at it.

Airwave turned back into his changeling form as Sparkler chuckled. “And this is the other time. When somepony visits.” She hopped off the couch she was sitting on and walked to the door. “Although I will say that her barking has actually been helpful for keeping Kicker calm. Because she’s basically an early warning system.” She turned her attention to Maddy. “Hey, calm down Maddy. It’s Ok.” She told her.

Maddy seemed to have heard her, because she stopped barking and scratching at the door. Sparkler smiled and opened the door. Standing outside, she saw Betty Pringle from Foal Protection Services.

Betty smiled when the door opened. “Hello Sparkler.” She said when she saw Sparkler had answered.

“Hi Ms. Pringle.” Sparkler replied. “How’re you?”

“I’m fine thank you for ask—whoa.” Betty was cut off when she felt something press against her leg. She looked down and saw the dog she heard barking a moment ago wagging it’s tail and smiling at her, with its forelegs on her leg and. “And who do we have here?” She asked.

“This is Maddy, our new dog.” Sparkler replied, coaxing Maddy off Betty. “We just got her two days ago.” She explained.

“Aww! She’s a cutie.” Betty commented as she petted Maddy’s head with her hoof.

“Yeah she is.” Sparkler replied. “So. You must be here for the next steps in the adoption process?” She asked.

“Yes.” Betty replied with a nod. “An inspection of your house and an interview.” She glanced past Sparkler and saw that there were others in the house. “Is this a bad time?”

Sparkler’s eyes widened as she realized she still had Airwave and Lyrica in the house. She bit her lip. Unsure of what to say.

In the background, Lyrica and Airwave were overhearing the entire conversation, glanced at each other, and nodded, coming up with the same idea.

“Hey Sparkler.” Airwave called out. “Lyrica and I could keep Kicker company down in the basement if that’s ok.”

Hearing that, Kicker’s face lit up as he smiled. “Can I mom?” He asked.

Sparkler glanced at the three of them, and then at Betty. “Do you need him present for any part of this?” She asked.

“Not necessarily.” Betty replied. “I pretty much got all I needed from him when he was in the hospital.”

“Alright.” Sparkler said. “Then please, come on in.” She moved out of the way to let Betty into the house.

She and Betty went into the living room. She turned to Kicker. “Hey Kicker. Airwave and Lyrica are gonna take you down to the studio and you guys can keep playing Random Animal Rally. Ms. Pringle and I have something to take care of up here.” She told him.

Kicker got one look at Betty Pringle, and he recognized her from the hospital. He remembered that she was from Foal Protection Services, the ones who had the power to take him away from Sparkler. His smile slowly faded as a result of this recognition. “Oh. Her.” He said flatly. A hint of actual resentment in his voice.

Sparkler, guessing what Kicker was probably thinking, approached and leaned in to nuzzle him in the cheek reassuringly. “Hey. It’s gonna be ok.” She told him. “There’s no need for you to worry.” She added.

Kicker nodded and remained silent. Sparkler smiled and kissed him on his forehead. “I won’t be long.” She lit her horn and gently moved Kicker from the couch to Lyrica’s back. “Be good for Airwave and Lyrica alright?” She told him.

Kicker nodded, Sparkler nodded back and gave him a reassuring smile. “Love you Kick.” She said.

With that, Lyrica and Airwave took Kicker down into Sparkling Harmony Records, with Maddy going with them. Betty watched them leave and a sense of guilt washed over her. “Kicker doesn’t like me.” She commented.

“What?” Sparkler replied. “What makes you say that?” She asked.

“He remembers I have the power to take him away from you.” Betty responded simply. “He’s afraid of the possibility he can’t stay with you, and I remind him of that possibility.”

Sparkler bit her lip, she was kinda hoping Betty wouldn’t pick that up. “I’m sure that’s just his PTSD talking. You remember what he was like in the Hospital.”

“He did not like the idea that he might need to go to another family. He seems pretty attached to you.” Betty commented.

“You shoulda seen him when I told him I was gonna petition to adopt him. It was like Hearths Warming came early for him.” Sparkler replied.

“I’m sure.” Betty said. She cleared her throat and summoned a notepad and pen with her magic. “Speaking of your petition. That brings us nicely back to the reason for today’s visit.”

“Right.” Sparkler said. “Inspection and interview. So. What do you want to do first?”

“Personally, I see no reason why we can’t do both simultaneously. May we start by seeing the room you set Kicker up in?” Betty asked.

“Right this way.” Sparkler replied. She led Betty to the stairs. “So. What do you need to know?” She asked.

“I was thinking we start out with something simple, I know I asked you this before, but this time for the record, can you financially support another pony?” Betty asked.


“Ooh. I bet Kicker would love to see a clone of Maddy Wavy.” Lyrica suggested.

“Alright! One Multese-Cockapoo coming right up!” Airwave declared. One engulfment of fire later. Airwave was an exact copy of Maddy.

Maddy, who had been sitting on the couch in the studio, took one look at dog Airwave and was instantly confused. She leapt onto the table where Airwave was standing and looked at him curiously. What happened next was what we’ll call the mirror routine.

Lyrica smiled as she watched the two dogs mirror each other. “Aww! Now that is adorable. Dontcha think Kicker?” Lyrica asked Kicker, who was sitting right next to her.

“Yeah. Yeah it’s adorable.” Kicker replied. The absentminded nature of his reply was easily detectable.

“Is everything ok Kicker?” Airwave asked, abandoning the Mirror Routine.

“Yeah. Everything’s fine.” Kicker replied absentmindedly.

“Well that was believable.” Lyrica responded sarcastically. “Alright. Tell us what’s wrong.” She said.

Kicker looked between Airwave and Lyrica for a moment, before sighing. “It’s the mare that’s upstairs with mom.” He said.

“Ms. Pringle?” Airwave asked. “What about her?”

“She’s from Foal Protection services.” Kicker replied.

“Is that a problem?” Lyrica asked.

“They can take me away from mom if they don’t think she’ll be a good mom for me.” Kicker responded flatly.

Lyrica’s and Airwave’s eyes widened in realization as it clicked with them. There existed a chance Sparkler could be forced to give up Kicker to another family, something Kicker obviously didn’t want, and something Ms. Pringle represented.

“Oh. So you don’t like her because she can take you away from Sparkler.” Airwave inferred.

Kicker nodded in reply. “I don’t want to go to another family. I already have a family. They shouldn’t get to take that away.” If Kicker could’ve crossed his forelegs, he would’ve.

Kicker’s words sank in and Lyrica and Airwave glanced towards each other and it completely clicked with them. Kicker had lost his original family, that much they knew. With Ms. Pringle from Foal Protection Services visiting, Kicker probably believed that he was in danger of losing another family he had gained in Sparkler, Flappy, and now Maddy.

Airwave hopped from the table to the couch and onto the couch next to Kicker. “Hey, I know you’re scared bud. You don’t want to give up what you’ve got going here.”

Kicker nodded in reply. “It’s not fair. Why should they have the final say when it should be OUR choice?” He asked.

“That’s just how it is Kicker.” Lyrica replied. “The FPS is designed to make sure all foals are safe and happy.”

“But I’m happy with Sparkler. Why can’t they see that?”

“I’m sure they can. But they just need to make sure you’re safe here.” Airwave replied. “I’m sure there’s nothing for you to worry about. Sparkler will show that she’s a good mother for you. Of that I am certain.”

“Can’t they just take her word for it though. Why did they need to come here.”

“Some things are just necessary to do. But look at it this way. This gives Sparkler a chance to ensure her petition to adopt you goes through successfully. Allowing you guys to be one happy family.” Lyrica told Kicker.

Kicker glanced between Airwave’s and Lyrica’s reassuring smiles, and that got him to let out a smile again. “Ok. I can do that.”

Maddy hopped onto the couch from the table and immediately went to nuzzle Kicker in the neck, making Kicker giggle.

“Trust me Kicker. Sparkler’s got this in the bag. Hooves down.” Airwave reassured Kicker.


“And this is the kitchen. Complete with an oven, stove, fridge, and anything else that might be needed for cooking.” Sparkler said, showing Betty the kitchen. The final stop on Betty’s inspection.

“And all appliances are in working order?” Betty asked.

“Yes. All in working order. Would you like something to drink? I got water, milk, lemonade…” Sparkler asked.

“I’ve been told your homemade Lemonade is a must try here.” Betty said with a chuckle.

That got Sparkler laughing as she summoned a bottle of the aforementioned Lemonade for Betty. “I can’t tell ya how many times I’ve been told I could make a fortune off my homemade Lemonade. Looking at it now. That might not be a bad idea to sell a few bottles.”

Betty giggled as she took a sip of the lemonade. And suffice to say, those who told her it was a must try was right. “Wow. They were right. This is delicious.” She complimented Sparkler.

“Thanks.” Sparkler replied.

Betty nodded and glanced around the kitchen. “Well I think I’ve seen enough for the inspection. I just have one more question to ask for the interview and I should have everything I need.” Betty said as she readied her notepad. “What made you decide you wanted to adopt Kicker?”

Sparkler didn’t need to think about the answer. She already had it. “It was because I see a bit of myself in him. In that we both had…let’s just say not the best childhoods…” Sparkler trailed off.

“Can you elaborate on that a little? If you don’t mind.” Betty asked.

“Let’s just say, I’m lucky I had parents who were there to get me through the tough times.” Sparkler said. “Kicker doesn’t have that same luxury. Quite the opposite. I just…I want to give him the same love my parents always gave me. To be there for him when he needs it. I want to make sure he doesn’t have to go through what I did.” Sparkler explained. “That’s what made me want to adopt him.” She finished.

Betty took notes through Sparkler’s answer to that question and nodded. “I’m sorry you had a difficult childhood. He’s lucky you found him in the Alleyway that night.” She said.

“I just hope I can be what he needs me to be to him.” Sparkler said.

Betty finished her notes and put away her notepad. “Ok. I believe that’s everything I need. Now I shall bring all of this back to Family Services, and we play the waiting game. Thank you for your cooperation Sparkler.” She added.

“No problem Ms. Pringle.” Sparkler replied as the two started for the door. “If I may ask, how long do you believe it will take for my petition to be reviewed?” She asked.

“Hm…a number of factors need to be taken into account. Mainly just how busy our reviewers are. So I would say anywhere from a week to a few weeks is when you’ll hear back from us. Whether it’s good or bad news…we won’t know until your petition’s been reviewed.”

Sparkler nodded in reply. Her mind racing. I am hoping like heck that it’s the former. They reached the door. “Thank you for stopping by Ms. Pringle. I hope to hear good news soon.” She said.

“I hope it’s good news too. For Kicker’s sake.” Betty replied, she and Sparkler shivered, knowing Kicker would probably have to be dragged away kicking, screaming, and crying if Sparkler was deemed unsuitable to be his mother. Betty shook the thought out of her head. “But, no matter the outcome. I trust you will continue to do your part and take care of him until a final verdict is reached.” Betty told Sparkler.

“Of course.” Sparkler said. “I’ll continue to look after him for however much longer I can.” Sparkler responded, praying that it would be forever.

“In that case, I bid you good day Sparkler.” Betty said as she walked out the door.

“Have a nice day Ms. Pringle.” Sparkler replied. Once Betty was gone, she closed the door behind her, and let out a breath she was holding. “It’s gonna be a hard day for him if the news comes back bad.” She commented as she started for the basement.


“Squawk! So after The boutique, the Scavenger Hunt will take her to the park where our pet play dates are held. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“You guys are bringing Maddy next week right?” Twilight asked.

“Squawk! I can’t wait to see her chase that little furry monster around. Good ol fashioned payback. Hehe. Squawk!” Flappy said.

Twilight chuckled. She and Flappy had spent the better part of the day planning out the scavenger hunt route that Sparkler was going to be taking next week on her Birthday. To say she was surprised when Flappy told her about Maddy would be understating it just a bit. But she did agree that having a dog could very well help Kicker, according to Fluttershy.

“Well, I can’t wait to meet her. She sounds friendly.” Twilight commented.

“Squawk! Ya know. I’m sure Sparkler would LOVE to have you over for dinner tonight. If yer free that is. Squawk!” Flappy responded. “Squawk! I bet Maddy‘ll be happy to meet a new pony. Squawk!”

Twilight’s smile faded, her ears drooped, and she bit her lip and blushed. “I…I don’t know Flappy…I feel like it’s too soon after…that.” She admitted.

“Squawk! Twilight, Sparkler isn’t mad at you for what happened. You know that right? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“I know.” Twilight said. “But it’s not just that…Her feelings for me…turns out I feel the same way about her.”

Flappy stared at her for a few seconds, before grinning like a goofball. “Squawk! See? Was that so hard to admit? Squawk!” He asked coyly.

“Haha.” Twilight retorted. “Funny. I seriously never realized I had feelings for her until literally two days ago. THAT was what all the commotion at the boutique was about. I had wanted to talk to Rarity about what to do.” She explained.

“Squawk! Oh, speaking of, apparently Discord was that ladybug that scared the horseapples out of you. Squawk!” Flappy remarked.

“What?!” Twilight shrieked. “Discord?!” She shook her head. “Grah. I’ll deal with him later. I have more important things to think about right now.”

Flappy nodded, and then noticed something off the corner of his eye. He turned his head to see a pony leaving the house. He smiled. “Squawk! Hey look! Looks like Betty Pringle came by for that inspection and interview. Squawk!” He said.

Twilight looked ahead and saw the mare from Foal Protection Services leaving Sparkler’s house. “Hm. I wonder how it went.” She and Flappy looked at each other for a few seconds.

“Squawk! You thinking what I’m thinking? Squawk!” He asked. An idea forming in his head.

“Yeah. I’m sure Sparkler would love to call Kicker her official son by the time of her birthday.” Twilight replied as she took off in a trot towards Betty.

Flappy watched her go and raised an eyebrow. “Squawk! I was just thinking we ask how Sparkler did and maybe get a timeframe for a verdict. But sure. I guess that works too. Squawk!” He just went with it and flew off after Twilight.

Betty glanced back at Sparkler’s house one more time before nodding. “Right. That’s done. Now all that’s left is to play the waiting game—“

“Betty Pringle.” Betty heard her name and turned to see Princess Twilight trotting up to her.

“Princess Twilight.” Betty responded. “Is there something I can do for you?” She asked.

“Did you just come out of an inspection of Sparkler’s house and her interview?” Twilight asked.

“I did. She has a lovely house.” Betty commented. “Definitely meets FPS guidelines as far as a foal living there is concerned.”

Twilight grinned at that. “And what about the interview?” She asked. “Did Sparkler do ok on that front?” She asked.

“She gave acceptable answers to my questions…well, I find them acceptable. But I’m not a petition reviewer.” Betty replied.

“Squawk! Is there a timeframe you can give us on when Sparkler’s petition would be reviewed and either approved or denied? Squawk!” Flappy asked as he landed on Twilight’s outstretched foreleg.

“Depends on how busy the reviewer who gets her case is.” Betty replied. “If I were to make an educated guess, I’d say it could be anywhere from a week to 3 weeks.”

“Is December 14th a possibility?” Twilight asked.

“That’s less than a week from now.” Betty replied. “That’s gonna be a tall order. Any reason for that particular date might I ask?” Betty inquired.

“Sparkler’s birthday is the 14th. And I’m sure she’d love to be able to call Kicker her official son by then, or at the very least know the verdict.” Twilight explained.

Betty brought her hoof to her chin, thinking. After a moment’s thought, she looked directly at Twilight. “It’s gonna be tight. But perhaps I can bring Sparkler’s case directly to my boss. He’s able to review Petitions as well, I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t promise anything.”

“If you could try that would be great. Thanks Ms. Pringle.” Twilight responded.

“No problem Twilight.” Betty glanced at Sparkler’s house again. “I hope her petition is approved. I don’t want to have to take Kicker away from her.”

“Squawk! If you do have to, you’ll probably have to drag Kicker away kicking and screaming. Squawk!” Flappy commented.

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.” Betty responded. “Right. I best be off, I’ve got a deadline to meet.” With that, Betty trotted off.

With Betty gone, Flappy launched back into the air and towards the house. “Squawk! Come on. Let’s go see how it went from Sparkler’s perspective. Squawk!” Flappy said.

Twilight blushed, and didn’t move. “Uhm…I’m not sure I should—“

“Squawk! You’re coming in. If only to make sure you two can have a conversation without blushing and awkward silences. Squawk!”

Twilight wanted to protest further, but something stopped her, after a second, she relented. “Fine.” She said. “But I can’t stay long. I have School of Friendship work I need to do.”

“Squawk! Fair enough. Squawk!” Flappy replied as he and Twilight approached the front door, they immediately heard barking.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Not much to say about this one. Hope you enjoyed it.

I'm still taking questions. Remember to specify who the question is for.
Anniversary Q&A!

THX FOR READING!

PreviousChapters Next