• Published 19th Dec 2020
  • 1,923 Views, 1,138 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Season Two - Captain_Cosmos



Sparkler and her friends are back for new adventures!

  • ...
14
 1,138
 1,923

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 6: Back on the Case

A blue middle-aged stallion was looking over a newspaper in his office, it had the same headline story everypony was reading. The one about the new Alicorn in Ponyville. He heard a knock on his door before he saw a mare enter his office. “Nosey, somepony’s here to see you.”

Nosey shook his head. “Switch, I told you I was busy today. I can’t take any visitors that aren’t officers of the CPD.”

“I am afraid this cannot wait investigator Nosey.” Nosey’s eyes widened as the door was pushed fully open to reveal...

“Princess Celestia!” Nosey scrambled out from behind his desk. “M-My apologies your majesty, I wasn’t aware of your visit.”

Celestia nodded. “It is alright Investigator Nosey.”

Nosey nodded. “So, what brings you here today princess?” He asked as he lit his horn and summoned his coffee.

Celestia nodded. “Some friends of mine need your help. Do you remember a case three years ago involving a foal named Thunder Kicker?”

Nosey’s eyes widened as he spat out his coffee in shock. “Did you just say Thunder Kicker?!”

Celestia nodded. “I did.”

Nosey immediately set his mug aside and moved behind his desk, opened a drawer, and pulled out a file. “Three years ago, a married couple, along with a friend of theirs, was murdered here in Canterlot, their house was destroyed in a fire, and the couple’s foal was taken by a pair of known criminals. That foal’s name was Thunder Kicker. Neighbors claimed that they didn’t see anything until the house caught fire. By the time authorities arrived the felons had disappeared. It was assumed that Thunder Kicker was with them since we didn’t find a fourth body.”

Celestia nodded. “And the case was closed because we couldn’t find them.”

Nosey nodded. “I personally never closed the case. But I had to officially close it because we just couldn’t find them, it was like they vanished.”

Celestia nodded. “Well, it would seem as though Thunder Kicker has decided to reappear.” She lit her horn and the letter Twilight had sent her appeared on Nosey’s desk.

Nosey skimmed over the letter, and when he saw Thunder Kicker’s name, he glanced at Celestia. “This genuine?”

Celestia nodded. “It was sent to me a half hour ago.”

Nosey nodded. “And the princess is SURE the foal’s name is Thunder Kicker.”

Celestia nodded. “I doubt she would screw up a name as interesting as Thunder Kicker.”

Nosey nodded. “Did you reply to this letter?”

Celestia nodded. “I did write back saying I would consult with you.”

Nosey nodded. “Has there been any further communication?”

Celestia nodded as she gave another letter to Nosey. “She sent a supplementary letter with more specific details.”

Nosey read the second letter...and sighed as he shook his head. “Typical. Foalnappers are never good parents.”

Celestia nodded. “It would seem so.”

Nosey nodded. “Right.” He took both letters in his magic, put them in the folder, and picked it off his desk. “The letters say that new Alicorn’s the one that found him and took him in. Send ahead a memo saying two officers of the CPD will be right there to at last get to the bottom of this. Also, do whatever you have to do to keep that foal in Ponyville. He’s our only lead.”

Celestia nodded. “I shall grant Sparkler temporary custody of Thunder Kicker. That should keep him where he is, considering it sounds like Kicker is quickly becoming attached to Sparkler.”

Nosey nodded. “Not surprising. Just make sure that foal stays where he is. I’ll grab my partner and hop on the next train to Ponyville.”

“Investigator. One more thing.” Celestia stopped Nosey at the door.

Nosey turned his head to raise an eyebrow at Celestia. Celestia nodded. “I understand that you need to talk to Kicker directly. But I would prefer if you did so with Sparkler in the room as well.”

Nosey raised an eyebrow. “Princess. Standard investigation procedure—“

“I am aware of the standard procedure Nosey.” Celestia cut him off. “But think. For three years this foal has been in the captivity of two maniacs whose motives are unclear. Maniacs that have only ever done the bare minimum for his survival.”

Nosey nodded. “That’s what the letters say.”

Celestia nodded. “Now imagine what would happen if after all that, a pony offers you shelter, and actually treats you as if you were her own child. What would one expect to happen?”

“You start to trust them.” Nosey replied.

Celestia nodded. “Now imagine if a stranger wished to talk to you in private. You would expect hesitance.”

Nosey nodded. “Logically—oh. I see what you’re saying.”

Celestia smiled and nodded. “You understand.”

Nosey nodded. “Talk to Kicker, talk to Sparkler as well. Got it.”

Celestia nodded. “The second reason is so Sparkler can explain to him what’s happening. Since he’s only 5.”

Nosey nodded. “Right. Understood Princess. Now if you’ll excuse me.”

Celestia nodded. “Of course.”

Nosey nodded and turned to leave, when he heard the princess call out to him again. “Oh. And one last thing. I don’t know what you think about Sparkler being an Alicorn. But please, don’t give her a hard time about it, the nobles probably have that covered. Just focus on the case.”

Nosey chuckled as he turned his head back to the princess. “Don’t worry your majesty. Unlike those self-absorbed Nobles who’ll surely riot. I read the Ponyville Daily, understand that she didn’t ask for the wings, and I respect her decision to stay out of politics.”

Celestia smiled. “I am glad to hear that.”

Nosey nodded. “Your majesty.” He turned around and finally left. Calling out to Switch. “Switch! Clear my schedule! I’m going down to Ponyville to finally crack a three year old case!”

Celestia nodded as she followed suit. Outside the office, she heard shouting coming from the chief’s office. Confused, she moved to the office, and picked up on what was being said.

“Chief Quill, you have favor with the Princess. You can sway her to follow your advice.”

“And what would I advise her to do? Amputate an innocent pony who had no control over what she was born with? Explain how I would justify that Silver Mane?”

“That pony was NOT born an Alicorn Quill. One is NOT just born an Alicorn. The only way to become one is to ascend, and that desecrater is NOT worthy!”

Celestia shook her head. Speak of the devil. She sighed and cleared her throat when she got to the office, alerting the chief and his visitor to her presence.

The chief jumped at the throat clearing and turned to see Celestia standing in the doorway. “Whoa! Your majesty!” He dropped to the ground in a bow. “T-This is a surprise!”

Celestia nodded. “Good morning chief Quill. How are you today?”

Quill nodded as he rose. “Never Better princess.”

Celestia nodded and turned to the other occupant in the room. Who was smiling. “Well I’ll be. Your majesty. I was going to come see you after my visit here.”

Celestia nodded. “What brings you here so early in the morning Silver Mane?”

Silver Mane cleared his throat. “I’m here to talk about the need for you to correct a terrible wrong.”

Celestia inwardly groaned. And so it begins. She sighed as she braced herself for the onslaught of requests to descend Sparkler, accompanied by ridiculous reasoning.

...

Elsewhere in Canterlot, Nosey walked up to a house and knocked on the door. A moment later, the door was opened by a filly who smiled. “Mr. Nosey!”

Nosey smiled. “Good morning Pearl. How are you today?”

“I’m great!” Pearl replied. She turned into the house. “Mom! Your coltfriend’s here!”

“Let him in! I’ll be down in a second!”

Pearl nodded and let Nosey in. Pearl smiled at Nosey. “Couldn’t wait for Mom to get to the station eh?”

Nosey laughed and shook his head. “Not like that. I actually need to borrow your mom for a few days. Business trip to Ponyville.”

Pearl beamed. “Ooh. What’s the case this time?”

Nosey shook his head. “Sorry Pearl. Can’t tell ya. Classified CPD business.”

Pearl pouted. “Ugh. You always say that!”

They both heard chuckling as a third pony entered the room. “Pearl, I’ve already told you that we can’t talk about CPD business in front of you. That would not be good for security.”

Pearl groaned. “Oh come on! I can keep a secret.”

Pearl’s mother shook her head. “Sorry sweetie. That ain’t gonna work. Now, if you would please go finish getting ready for school. And please don’t spy on us. I really don’t want to have to use a memory wiping spell on you again.”

Pearl sighed and nodded. Leaving the room.

Nosey chuckled. “I still say she would make a great detective someday River.”

River nodded. “She’s got the investigative tenacity. That’s for sure.” She sighed. “So, what brings you here? Did we get a case?”

Nosey nodded as he lit his horn and the case file was summoned from his saddle bag. “A case three years old. Remember our first case together? The one involving a foal by the name of Thunder Kicker?”

River’s eyes widened. “Thunder Kicker?! The foal that disappeared after his parents were killed and the house burned down?”

Nosey nodded as he opened the file. “That’s the one. The case had to be officially closed because we couldn’t find him, and those who took him. It’s been reopened because as fate would have it...he resurfaced in Ponyville.” He showed River the letter that Celestia had given him.

River read it through, and smiled. “Well how about that. That new Alicorn’s the one that found him.”

Nosey nodded as he refiled the letter and tucked the whole thing in his saddlebag. “The Princess herself wants us to go to Ponyville and finally put this whole thing to rest.”

River nodded. “I’ll pack my bags. Could you ask around the neighborhood and see if anypony’s available to watch Pearl?”

Nosey nodded. “Of course.”

River smiled and pecked him on the cheek. “Thanks.” She turned and galloped out of the room, while Nosey nodded and left the house to find a foalsitter, smiling to himself. At last. This case will finally be put to rest.

To be continued...

Author's Note:

OOH. Celestia's sending in cavalry.

Is there more to this case than Kicker knows? Stay tuned to find out!

THX FOR READING!

PreviousChapters Next