• Published 19th Dec 2020
  • 1,923 Views, 1,138 Comments

My Little Pony: Sparkling Harmony: Season Two - Captain_Cosmos



Sparkler and her friends are back for new adventures!

  • ...
14
 1,138
 1,923

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 43: Preparation Day

Crystal Empire

“Baby food?”

“Check.”

“Pacifier?”

“Check.”

“Diapers?”

“Check.”

“Baby wipes?”

“Check check and check. We have everything we need, Cady.” Shining assured his wife as they prepared to head to Ponyville.

“What about Flurry Heart?” Cadance asked.

The couple looked around, and noticed a distinct lack of their daughter anywhere in sight.

“Is she hiding again?” Cadance asked in an annoyed tone.

“Let’s call her back out.” Shining replied, he cleared his throat. “Oh Flurry! Wanna go visit Auntie Twily?” He called out.

That did the trick as Flurry came out from wherever she was hiding and landed in front of her parents, giggling.

Cadance chuckled in response and ruffled Flurry’s mane. “Speaking of Twilight. I can’t wait to hear if she’s figured out her feelings for Sparkler yet.” Cadance commented excitedly.

“How can you be so sure we can even trust her?” Shining asked.

Cadance let out an annoyed groan. Here we go again. “Shining, we’ve been over this, she was afraid to come out. And Twilight explained it all in that first letter.” She reminded him.

“But, still. What are the odds a previously unknown ALICORN of all species just happened to move to the exact same town as Twily? I mean doesn’t that strike you as being suspicious?” Shining asked.

“I’ll admit that the appearance of another Alicorn is shocking. But I don’t believe she has any malicious intentions.” Cadance replied. “And you should trust Twilight to know what she’s doing. Remember our wedding?” Cadance asked.

“I just have a bad feeling about this.” Shining replied. “Like there’s something more going on.”

Cadance just sighed in response. It had been nearly three weeks since they first got the message from Twilight explaining the real story behind Sparkling Medley. The one the News Outlets put their own spin on in order to sell more copies. And while Cadance had accepted it and was happy Sparkler had found a haven in which to be herself, Shining had been skeptical of the whole thing. When they had made plans to visit Twilight for the next few days, Cadance quickly learned that Shining wasn’t gonna leave Sparkler be while they were there.

“Shining, I’m sure Twilight is expecting us to be nice to her future marefriend, and I for one don’t want to tick her off. Considering how she’s likely pushing back against the Nobles making a big stink over Sparkler.” Cadance said. “So can you please be nice to Sparkler? For her and for me?” She asked.

Shining saw the almost pleading look in Cadance’s eyes, and relented. “Fine. I’ll be nice.” He said. I’ll just keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn’t try anything.

Cadance smiled. “Great! Then come on! We have a train to catch!” She exclaimed.

Canterlot

Betty walked into the office of her boss, who called her in. “You wanted to see me Mr. Foaly?” She asked.

“Ms. Pringle. Good, come on in.” Mr. Foaly said. “I saw your little gift on my desk yesterday. An adoption petition you wanted reviewed as soon as possible to make a December 14th deadline.” He commented.

“Yes Mr. Foaly. Princess Twilight asked me to see about expediting the review process for Sparkling Medley’s petition.” Betty replied.

“You don’t give a reason for the 14th specifically. Mind sharing that reason with me?” Mr. Foaly asked. “I’m curious.”

“The reason Princess Twilight gave me was that she was certain Sparkler would like to call Thunder Kicker her official son by the time of her birthday, which is tomorrow. December 14th.” Betty replied. “But I also have a reason for you. I don’t know if you’ve looked at the file at all, but Thunder Kicker is suffering from PTSD due to his…we’ll say troubling past. I could tell when I went to talk to him that he would prefer to stay with Sparkler. The one who saved him from his captors.” Betty explained.

“Sounds like he’s chosen her as his new mom.” Mr. Foaly inferred.

“That would seem to be the case.” Betty agreed. “I admit sir that I don’t know anything about how to cure PTSD. But I suspect that the knowledge that he’ll never be taken from Sparkling Medley’s care will do something to improve his mental state.” She said.

“So long as Sparkler does her job right, he won’t have to worry about being taken away from her.” Mr. Foaly told Betty.

“Yes sir.” Betty replied. “Anyway, those are the two reasons I brought her petition to you directly to review.”

“Bringing us nicely to why I called you in here today.” Mr. Foaly said. He lit his horn and held up a file in his magic. He placed the file down on his desk on Betty’s side. “If the deadline is tomorrow than I think it would be best if you delivered this to Sparkler in pony.”

Betty took a look at the file marked Sparkling Medley, and saw that it was stamped with the word APPROVED on it. She smiled and glanced back at her boss. “She’s cleared to make it official.” She said, excitement quickly taking over. Mr. Foaly actually reviewed and approved Sparkler’s petition!

“The proper paperwork to make it so is already in there. She just has to fill it out, file it with her town hall, and she can officially claim Thunder Kicker as her son.” Mr. Foaly said.

Betty nodded and lit her horn to take the file in her magic. “Thank you for your assistance Mr. Foaly.” She said.

“The next train leaves soon. I suggest you hurry.” Mr. Foaly said.

“Right. I should be back the day after tomorrow at the latest.” Betty replied as she made her exit.

Once outside the office, and the building. Betty pumped her foreleg. “They’re gonna love this.” She commented as she took off in a full gallop towards the train station in order to catch the next train.

Ponyville

The door opened and a doctor walked into the room that Sparkler and Kicker were waiting in. Kicker was sitting on the examination table while Sparkler sat on the chair next to the table.

“Hello there.” The doctor smiled at Kicker as he closed the door behind him. “How are you two today?” He asked.

“Hello doctor.” Sparkler replied. “We’re doing good today.”

“Yeah.” Kicker agreed.

“That’s great.” The doctor responded. He glanced at his clipboard he had brought with him. “So according to this, you’re ready to get out of those casts and regain the use of your legs little dude.” The doctor told Kicker.

“Yeah!” Kicker replied. “I want out of these casts please.”

“Ask and you shall receive.” The doctor replied, lighting his horn. “We’ll do them one at a time, Sparkler, can you please hold Kicker to make sure he stays still?” The doctor asked.

“Certainly.” Sparkler replied as she lit her own horn and encased Kicker in her magic to hold him still.

“Right. We’ll do this on a count of three for each leg. Ready Kicker?” The doctor asked.

“Ok.” Kicker replied.

The doctor smiled and they got to work.


Twilight was in the library of her castle, busy writing on a whiteboard. “Maybe I could take her out on a nice picnic in the park. A simple bubble should keep it warm for her…no. Too limiting. Oh, perhaps I could get her under the mistletoe…no, too easy to be misunderstood. How about—“

“Twilight you will not believe what just happened!” Twilight heard Rainbow shout as the library doors were swung open to reveal the rainbow-maned Pegasus.

“Gah! Rainbow!” Twilight jumped when she heard Rainbow’s shout. She whipped around and glared at her friend. “You scared the living daylights out of me! What do you want?” She asked.

“I just wanted to tell you that I just made Sparkler’s birthday even better than it’s already supposed to be.” Rainbow replied.

“Really?” Twilight asked, confused. “How so?”

“It was all Soarin’s idea.” Rainbow said. “Remember how you said he was welcome to join in on the performance? Today he got the big brained idea that the Wonderbolts could do a salute to Sparkler. Well, we took it up with captain Spitfire and she agreed to do it!” Rainbow exclaimed in excitement.

“Really?” Twilight asked in near-disbelief. “That’s awesome!”

“I know!” Rainbow responded. “We’re gonna time it with my Sonic Rainboom. It’s gonna be so flapping awesome.”

“It will be.” Twilight said. “And I’m sure Sparkler will love it.”

“The Bday bash we have planned for her? Who WOULDN’T love that?” Rainbow chuckled. That’s when she noticed the whiteboard. “Whatcha working on here?” She asked.

“Just wondering how to tell Sparkler I have feelings for her—“ Twilight covered her mouth as soon as she said that as her eyes snapped wide and she blushed. That came out before she could even stop it.

Rainbow heard that, and laughed. “Wait wait wait, you mean you finally got it into your head that you’re in love with Sparkler?” She asked.

“Yes.” Twilight replied. “Looking back it was kinda obvious I was falling for her, wasn’t it.”

“You rearrange your schedule to fit her in every week for your study sessions. And if she can’t make it you make it up another time.” Rainbow said with a chuckle.

Twilight’s eyes widened in realization. “The study sessions! We’re behind on those.” She summoned a calendar to look at. “I should see if she’s still interested in doing those. She’ll probably want to bring Kicker too, which I’d be ok with.” She commented.

“And there you go again.” Rainbow said. “Rearranging your schedule to fit her in. You’ve fallen hard for her.”

“For your information Rainbow.” Twilight said sternly. “I insist on these regular study sessions because she is a curious mind. Before coming here she knew NOTHING about what she was. Not even a name. And also, I was initially drawn to her because she is a natural-born Alicorn to non-Alicorn parents. And here we thought Flurry Heart’s birth was the strangest thing in the history of Alicorns.” She explained. “There’s a mystery surrounding Sparkling Medley Rainbow. And she’s just as interested as I am about solving it.”

“Oh. You two eggheads are SO perfect for each other. Hehe.” Rainbow chuckled. “Anywho, I gotta fly. Later Twi.” With that, Rainbow took off through a window that was thankfully opened just in time.

Twilight closed the window behind Rainbow and rolled her eyes. “I am never gonna live down that I was completely oblivious to my feelings for Sparkler.” She commented. “Hm. Speaking of tomorrow, I should go around and make sure everything’s ready for it. Oh, and I need to write the clues for the scavenger hunt.” She nodded and trotted out the door of the library. “I’ll make my rounds then come back and write those clues.” Twilight walked to the castle doors and left the castle.


Flappy and Maddy stood on the platform of the train station, patiently waiting for the Friendship Express to arrive.

“I can’t wait to meet Sparkler’s parents. I bet their flanks smell nice.” Maddy commented, wagging her tail.

“Squawk! Why do dogs like sniffing flanks? Squawk!” Flappy asked, giving Maddy a perplexed look. “Squawk! Is it just a thing that’s hardwired into your doggy brains? Squawk!”

“I don’t know.” Maddy shrugged. “All I know is that we like sniffing flanks. Like this.” Maddy stood up, leaned her head down, and started sniffing Flappy’s butt.

Flappy responded by launching into the air out of Maddy’s reach. “Squawk! Hey! I thought we agreed no sniffing my butt! Squawk!” He shrieked.

“Hehe. Sorry Flaps.” Maddy replied. “I was just messing with ya.”

Flappy groaned as he landed back on the ground. “Squawk! Why did I agree to bring you along with me to see if Sparkler’s parents are on this train? Squawk!” He asked.

“Because I didn’t want to be stuck in the house all alone all day and the hospital doesn’t allow pets in the building. So Sparkler asked you to keep an eye on me. And we all know you would never refuse Sparkler.” Maddy replied with a sly smirk.

“Squawk! Right. Squawk!” Flappy said, rolling his eyes.

Maddy nodded, before she felt something within her. Something urgent. “Ahem. Speaking of keeping an eye on me. Uhm…I need to…well, take a dump.”

Flappy’s eyes widened. “Squawk! Then go. Just make sure you come right back. Squawk!” He said as quickly as possible.

Maddy nodded and ran off to find someplace to go. Flappy watched her leave and shivered. Only a dog could be so crazy as to go in the snow. At that moment, he heard the familiar siren of a fast approaching train. He glanced down the track to see the Friendship Express approaching the station. He smiled as he flapped his wings and launched into the air.

The Friendship Express came to a screeching halt beside the platform and once it was stopped, it opened its doors to let out it’s passengers. Flappy searched the crowd of ponies for Sparkler’s parents. After a moment, the crowd started to dissipate and Flappy concluded that Sparkler’s parents weren’t on this train, but he still smiled because he DID spot somepony he equally didn’t mind seeing. One of the ponies to step off the train was Betty Pringle. “Squawk! Ms. Pringle! Squawk!” He called out.

Betty heard her name be called out and turned her head to see Sparkler’s parrot approaching. “Hi there. You’re Flappy right? Sparkler’s pet parrot?” She asked.

“Squawk! That’s me. Squawk!” Flappy replied as he slowed down into a hover in front of Betty. “Squawk! What brings you to Ponyville? Has Sparkler’s petition been reviewed? Squawk!” He asked.

“It has.” Betty said. “And in accordance with tomorrow’s deadline. I came here to personally deliver all the paperwork Sparkler needs to fill out in order to make her legal guardianship of Thunder Kicker official.” She explained.

Betty’s words sunk into Flappy’s brain, and the minute he processed what that meant, a big goofy grin exploded on his face. “Squawk! Her petition was approved! Squawk!” He exclaimed in excitement.

“Yeah.” Betty replied. “It was approved.” She said.

Flappy’s mind started working on overdrive, multiple thoughts hit him at once. Now Kicker can put his fear of being separated from Sparkler to rest. They didn’t need to hear him screaming at the top of his lungs that he wanted to stay with Sparkler. And finally, an idea came to him. An idea that could make tomorrow even more special for Sparkler. “Squawk! Ms. Pringle, horn pulse Twilight, ask where she is. Squawk!” He told her.

“Why?” Betty asked.

“Squawk! Because I have an idea about tomorrow, and Twilight is the head honcho when it comes to coordinating everything relating to Sparkler’s birthday. Squawk!” Flappy explained.

“Uhm…ok.” Betty said, not entirely sure what was going on.

“Squawk! Wait here. I’m gonna go get Maddy. Squawk!” Flappy said as he zipped off.

Off the platform, Maddy was kicking the snow over her business when Flappy suddenly zipped into her view and landed right in front of her. “Squawk! Maddy! You done? Squawk!” He asked.

“Yeah.” Maddy responded. “Why?” She asked.

“Squawk! Sparkler’s parents aren’t on this train, but remember Betty Pringle? She came the other day for Sparkler’s inspection and interview. Squawk!” Flappy said.

“Yeah I remember Betty. What about her?” Maddy asked, confused.

“Squawk! She arrived on this train, and she has news. Betty’s got news, and it’s the best kind of news! Squawk!” Flappy responded excitedly.

“What is it?” Maddy asked, anticipation quickly taking her over.

“Squawk! Sparkler’s petition to adopt Kicker was approved! She’s cleared to legally claim him as her son! Squawk!” Flappy exclaimed. His excitement matched a foal on Hearth's Warming day.

“Really?” Maddy asked. “Awesome!” She exclaimed, wagging her tail in excitement.

“Squawk! Yeah! Now come on. We need to find Twilight. I’ve got an idea. Squawk!” Flappy said.


“At last! Finally I’m free of those casts!” Kicker all but shouted as he and Sparkler left the Hospital, Kicker walking on his own four legs for the first time in two weeks. He trotted alongside Sparkler, who gave him a warm smile.

“I’m proud of you Kick.” She said. “You’ve been so strong and brave throughout these last two weeks.”

“Thanks mom.” Kicker replied. “I’m just glad it’s over.”

“Well…not quite, the doctor says you should do a few leg exercises for the next couple days to help loosen up the joints. But a walk every day should do fine.” Sparkler said. “Wanna go find Flappy and Maddy?”

“Yeah!” Kicker said. “Let’s go find them!” Kicker said excitedly, picking up speed and running ahead of Sparkler.

Sparkler chuckled. “Hey! Wait up!” Sparkler called after Kicker, increasing her own speed to catch up to Kicker. “The doctor said take it easy at first!”

“Oh relax mom.” Kicker said. “I’m not gonna hurt myself from running.”

Sparkler laughed as she lit her horn and encased Kicker in her magic. She picked him up and pulled him back to where she was. He gave him a smile. “You could trip, fall, break something, and it would be right back into the hospital for you. And I think you’ve spent enough time in the hospital for a while.” She explained. “Besides, I don’t think my parents would like it very much if they arrived to find us in the hospital again after having just gotten you fixed up.” She added.

“Your parents?” Kicker asked.

“Yeah. They’re on their way right now.” Sparkler said, putting Kicker back down onto the ground. “And don’t you want to look your best for your potentially future grandparents?” She asked.

“Wait, my grandparents?” Kicker asked, confused. “What are those?”

“The parents of a foal’s parents are called grandparents. And my parents could very well be your grandparents soon.” Sparkler explained.

“So…what does that mean?” Kicker asked, still not getting it.

“It means they could soon be your family as well.” Sparkler responded. “Like me, Flappy, and Maddy.”

That seemed to get through as Kicker smiled. “I have more family?” He asked.

“So long as I’m able to officially adopt you. Yeah.” Sparkler replied.

Kicker grinned as he bounced in the air in excitement. “Yay! I have a bigger family!” He exclaimed.

Sparkler giggled in response. Seeing Kicker so excited about a normally basic concept was so adorable. “Come on.” She said. “Let’s find Flappy and Maddy, and then we can see if my parents are on the next train.”

“Let’s do that!” Kicker said. He and Sparkler resumed walking. Kicker more skipping and bouncing along, much to Sparkler’s joy. It really did bring a smile to her face to see Kicker so happy.


“That’s great news Ms. Pringle!” Twilight exclaimed excitedly.

“That shall put a smile on Kicker’s face for sure.” Rarity added.

After learning Twilight was at the Carousel Boutique, Maddy, Flappy, and Betty all dashed over there. The reaction they got to hearing Sparkler’s petition was approved was exactly as they expected.

“Yes. Honestly, I’m relieved it was approved. If I had had to take Kicker away from Sparkler, he would’ve surely thrown a temper tantrum.” Betty replied.

“Thank Celestia it won’t come to that.” Rarity commented.

Twilight nodded in agreement. “So does Sparkler know yet?” She asked.

“Squawk! Not yet. Squawk!” Flappy replied.

“Not yet? Then why in the name of Celestia are you here?” Rarity asked. “Surely this news should reach Sparkler and Kicker as soon as possible.”

“Squawk! Or, we could leave them in the dark for just a bit longer. And make tomorrow extra special for them. Squawk!” Flappy replied.

“You mean tell them tomorrow?” Twilight asked.

“Squawk! Exactly. We could add town hall as a stop on the scavenger hunt. Squawk!” Flappy said. “Squawk! Think about it Twilight. We want Sparkler to have the best day ever right? Squawk!”

“Yeah. We do.” Twilight replied, her mind pondered on what Flappy was thinking. “Yeah…yeah that’s a good idea.” She concluded.

“I agree.” Rarity replied. “One more day couldn’t hurt could it?”

“I suppose not.” Betty responded. “And I told my boss I wouldn’t be back til day after tomorrow at the latest anyway so I can still be around to help Sparkler with the paperwork should she need it.” She said.

“Great!” Twilight said, fluttering her wings in excitement. “Tomorrow really is gonna be the best day of Sparkler’s life.”

Rarity nodded in agreement, before an idea came to her. “You know Darling.” She said to Twilight. “I do believe it would be beneficial if Kicker were to have two parents instead of just Sparkler.”

“Don’t you dare suggest that we set Sparkler up with a stallion Rarity!” Twilight suddenly burst out, seemingly out of nowhere.

Everypony looked at Twilight with a mixture of fear and shock at her outburst. Twilight saw these looks, and realized what had just happened. She blushed and smiled sheepishly. “Ahem…sorry, what were you saying Rarity?” She asked.

Flappy just burst out laughing after he got over the shock. “Squawk! Holy hay Twilight. Just when I think you couldn’t fall any harder for Sparkler. Squawk!” He said through his laughter.

Rarity giggled a bit herself. “I assure you darling, I was not going to suggest we set Sparkler up with a stallion. Especially since her heart longs for you.” She said.

“Right…I don’t know what came over me there. Hehe. What were you saying Rarity?” Twilight asked.

“Here’s what I think you could do darling.” Rarity said. “Go to town hall with Ms. Pringle here, today, and put yourself down as Kicker’s second parent.” Rarity suggested.

“What?” Twilight asked. “Why would you suggest that?”

“Because I do believe Kicker could benefit from having two parents rather than one right off the bat.” Rarity said. “But this could also be a chance for you to hint at your true feelings for Sparkler.” She added.

“Like, that’s a clue in the scavenger hunt?” Twilight asked.

“Exactly.” Rarity replied. “I think you should confess to her tomorrow. And you putting yourself down as Kicker’s second parent could get her thinking that maybe her feelings are returned after all.”

Twilight tried to hide her blush, but it just wouldn’t go away. “Me. Pringle?” Twilight asked, wanting to get Betty’s professional opinion on this.

“Well.” Betty said. “There really isn’t anything stopping you from going through with this idea. The only thing though is that you would have to get Sparkler’s consent. Which would be a tad difficult if you want to keep this a surprise till tomorrow.” She explained.

“Squawk! I can tell you right now she wouldn’t mind in the slightest. Squawk!” Flappy responded. “Squawk! I’ve been with her since she was six. And I’ve gotten to know her to the point where I can confidently know what she’d say in certain situations. She will have no objections if Twilight put herself down as Kicker’s second mom. I promise you that. Squawk!” He explained.

Betty glanced between Rarity, Twilight, and Flappy, her mind forming a response to this. “She did trust you to deliver the first round of paperwork to me…” After a moment’s more thought, she nodded. “Alright. Because this is a special occasion, I think we can bend the rules a tad. So long as you’re positive this is what you want, Princess.” She asked Twilight.

“This would just be expediting the inevitable Ms. Pringle.” Twilight responded. “If things go well me and Sparkler’ll spend the rest of our lives together. That means I’ll also be taking on the role of Kicker’s second mom. This is just making it legal much sooner than I originally thought.” She said.

“In that case, would you like to go to town hall now and get it done?” Betty asked.

“If that’s ok with you. Sure.” Twilight replied.

Flappy nodded in agreement. “Squawk! If ya don’t need me. Maddy and I should get going. Sparkler and Kicker are probably looking for us. Squawk!” He said.

“Oh yes. We don’t want her getting suspicious now do we.” Rarity said.

Flappy nodded and he and Maddy left the boutique. Once outside, Flappy glanced down at Maddy. “Squawk! Alright Maddy. Use that nose of yours and sniff out Sparkler and Kicker. Hehe. Squawk!” He said.

Maddy nodded and started sniffing. After a moment, she picked up Sparkler’s and Kicker’s scents. “Got’em. Come on!” Maddy ran off. Flappy flying close behind her.


They didn’t have to travel far. It turned out that Sparkler and Kicker were on the next street over. Maddy caught one glimpse of Kicker being able to walk and she smiled and darted right for him. Barking loudly to warn him she was coming.

Kicker trotted alongside Sparkler. There was an extra spring in his step from being free of the casts, and the new knowledge that he had two more ponies for family than he first thought. He was looking at the houses all spruced up for Hearths warming when he heard barking coming from the distance. He turned his head to face directly ahead and saw Maddy bolting right for him. “Maddy!” He exclaimed in excitement.

Sparkler saw their pets coming for them and Maddy tackled Kicker and started licking him all over. Wagging her tail. Kicker laughed and tried getting Maddy to stop as Flappy came in to land on Sparkler’s back.

“Squawk! Kicker! Glad to see you up and about after two weeks! Squawk!” Flappy said. Happy that Kicker was finally walking again.

“Where’d you two go off to?” Sparkler asked. “Parents must not have been on the train. Decide to just go for a walk?”

“Squawk! Yeah. We just decided to go for a walk. Squawk!” Flappy lied.

“Well good thing you found us.” Sparkler said. “Hm…” She had an idea. “If my parents are on the next train it should be within Horn Pulsing range.”

With a flash of her horn, she tried sending a message to her dad. She waited one second, two, three, four, five…and nothing. She shook her head. “Nothing. They’re not on the next train.” She said.

“Squawk! Then we have time. What should we do now? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“You can join us for a trip to Sugarcube Corner if you want.” Said a new voice.

Sparkler looked around for the source of that familiar voice, and spotted it’s owner. She smiled. “Nosey, River. Good to see you again.” She greeted the investigators.

“Good to see you too Sparkler.” Nosey replied. “You’re doing good I hope.”

“Yeah. We are.” Sparkler replied. “Kicker just got out of his casts this morning.” She added, smiling down at Kicker.

“That’s good to hear.” River replied happily.

While Sparkler was talking with Nosey and River, Kicker suddenly felt like somepony was watching him specifically. He looked around, and sure enough, he saw a little filly probably no bigger than him sending a smile his way.

“Uh…hello?” He greeted the filly, unsure of what was gonna happen.

“Hey there!” The filly replied. Waving at him. “I’m Pearl. Are you Thunder Kicker?” She asked.

“Yeah.” Kicker replied nervously. “How do you know my name?”

“You’re the foal my mom and her partner Nosey were sent here to help the other week. And it’s pretty hard to forget a name like Thunder Kicker.” Pearl explained.

“O-ok.” Kicker replied.

“So Kicker, wanna be friends?” Pearl asked. “You look like somepony who could use a friend his own age.”

“Uh…sure. We can be friends.” Kicker replied.

“Awesome!” Pearl exclaimed. She held out her hoof for a hoof bump. Which Kicker accepted and bumped hooves with her. “So. You guys joining us at Sugarcube Corner for Milkshakes or what?” She asked.

Kicker turned his head and looked up at Sparkler. “Can we mom?” He asked.

“Sure.” Sparkler replied, glancing at Nosey and River. “If it’s ok that we join you.”

“Sure thing.” Nosey replied.

“It’ll give Kicker and Pearl time to get to know each other.” River added, sending a sly smirk Pearl’s way.

“Mom!” Pearl exclaimed, embarrassed. Getting a chuckle out of everypony.

“Then let’s go.” Sparkler said.


Elsewhere, Applejack tugged on a rope to ensure it was strong. “Alright Airwave! We’re ready to raise this barn!” She called out to Airwave.

“You got it AJ!” Airwave called back. He took the other end of the rope in his mouth and glanced over at Lyrica, who had the other rope. “Alright Lyrica, on three, we pull. One, two, THREE!”

Together, he and Lyrica tugged on the ropes and pulled on them. Raising the giant thing to which a bunch of neon lights were affixed. After a bit of pulling and grunting, they heard Applejack call out again. “Hold it right there you two!” She said, causing the two to stop in their tracks.

Applejack wasted no time in grabbing what slack of rope Lyrica and Airwave left and tying them to hooks screwed into the floor. Once both knots were secured, she nodded at the two. “Alright. Y’all can let go now.”

Lyrica and Airwave opened their mouths and let gravity pull the ropes taut, suspending the sign in the air.

Applejack, Airwave, and Lyrica took a few steps back to admire their handiwork. Applejack smiled. “Shoowee. That right there is the biggest replica of a Cutie Mark I don seen in my whole life.” Applejack commented.

“We can thank Twilight for enlarging it.” Lyrica commented.

“Yeah! And now that baby’s ready to light up like a Hearth's Warming tree!” Exclaimed Applebloom. Who ran up to the three adults with her CMC friends. She set a remote down on the floor and Scootaloo went to press it’s button with her hoof.

“Please don’t blow up.” Scootaloo prayed as she pressed the button.

The six ponies watched as the Cutie Mark’s neon lights lit up it’s outlines with a blue-violet color. The six squinted their eyes due to how bright it was. “Yep. That’s bright.” Lyrica commented.

“Maybe we could turn it down a tad.” Sweetie Belle said. “But hey! It didn’t blow up!” She exclaimed excitedly.

“Yeah!” Scootaloo and Applebloom responded.

“It’s gonna look SO awesome with the Ponyville Orchestra in front and everypony else singing. It’ll be like something out of a cinematic masterpiece.” Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

Applejack giggled. “Great job Sugarcubes. Sparkler’s sure to love this.” She said.

“Oh. I think she will. Faust knows I do.” Said a new voice. Everypony glanced around til they saw Twilight land beside them on stage.

“Howdy there Twilight.” Applejack said.

“Glad you like this big neon replica of Sparkler’s Cutie Mark.” Lyrica added.

“How's yer day going?” Airwave asked.

“It’s going pretty good Airwave.” Twilight replied. “Everything is on track to go off without a hitch tomorrow. And Sparkler’s petition to adopt Kicker was approved.”

“Awesome!” The CMC exclaimed excitedly.

“Glad to hear they get to be a family forever.” Airwave commented.

“Do they know yet Twi?” Applejack asked.

“No, they don’t.” Twilight replied. “That’s gonna be a stop on tomorrow’s scavenger hunt. They’ll go to town hall and that’s when they’ll learn the good news. Hehe.” Twilight explained.

Lyrica noticed that Twilight was a bit too happy and jittery for that to be all. “That’s not all. Isn’t it Twilight.” She said.

Twilight blushed and smiled sheepishly. “Well…there is one more thing.” She admitted. “I may have…realized I have a crush on Sparkler and I may have decided to hint at it to her tomorrow during the scavenger hunt by…putting myself down as Kicker’s second parent.” She explained.

“Wow.” Airwave responded. “You really do love her if you’re volunteering to be Kicker’s legal second parent right away.”

Twilight sighed. “I do. I really do love her, but I also want to help her give Kicker the life he deserves to live.” She said.

“Well, I’m sure she’ll be right happy to hear you say that.” Applejack said. “And if Rarity is to be believed Kicker won’t mind either.”

“I doubt Rarity would make that up.” Twilight replied. She went to say something else, but then she got a tingle in her horn. A Horn Pulse.

Shining: Hey Twily! Cadance, Flurry and I are approaching Ponyville. Just a heads up.

Twilight grinned. Her siblings and niece were almost here! “Sorry to cut this short AJ, but my brother, sister and Niece are almost here.” She said.

Applejack chuckled. “Go on ahead and meet them at the train station Twi. We got things here.”

Twilight nodded and teleported away. Applejack nodded. “Right. Let’s readjust the brightness on those lights.”


Twilight poofed into existence just as she heard the loud screeching that was the Crystal Express coming to a stop. She watched as the train skidded to a halt beside the station. Once it stopped, it’s doors opened and let out three ponies very dear to her. Her sister-in-law Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, her older brother Shining Armor, and her niece Princess Flurry Heart. “Shiny, Cadence, Flurry!” She exclaimed in excitement.

“Twily!” Shining and Cadence replied when they saw her.

Cadence and Twilight met in the middle and launched into their little ritual.

🎶Sunshine sunshine ladybugs awake.

Clap your hooves and do a little shake!🎶

They chuckled as they fell into each other’s forelegs in a hug.

“It’s so good to see you Twilight!” Cadence said. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been great.” Twilight said as she pulled away from Cadence and gave her brother a hug. “How about you guys?”

“We’ve been busy. Ya know, ruling the Crystal Empire and all. But at least it’s never boring.” Shining replied.

“Good to hear.” Twilight responded as they too separated. Only for Twilight to be tackled by a giggling Flurry.

Twilight winced when her niece crashed into her, but she smiled all the same. “Flurry!” She exclaimed joyfully. She wrapped Flurry up in her wings. “How’s my favorite niece?”

“A hoofful as always, but at least she’s not destroying anything.” Cadence answered.

Flurry giggled in response. Twilight smiled. “Good.” She said.

Flurry kept giggling in Twilight’s wings, until she suddenly stopped what she was doing. She also stopped smiling for that matter.

That had the adults worried. Shining took a step towards Flurry. “Flurry? Everything alright?”

Without so much as a warning, Flurry lit her horn and teleported away in a golden puff of smoke, leaving her family coughing up the smoke.

“What the?!” Twilight exclaimed when the smoke cleared.

Shining looked around frantically for his daughter. “Flurry? Flurry!” He ran off to find the little filly.

Cadence watched him run off and sighed. “For Celestia’s sake Flurry. Why can’t you sit still for five minutes?”

“She couldn’t have gone far right?” Twilight asked.

“We once found her on the opposite side of the Crystal Empire.” Cadence deadpanned.

“…How powerful is that little filly?” Twilight asked, stunned.

“At least that powerful.” Cadence replied.

Twilight was about to respond when she felt her horn tingle. Signaling an incoming message.

Sparkler: Hey Twilight? You wouldn’t happen to be missing an Alicorn filly would you?

Twilight gasped, then breathed a sigh of relief. Flurry ended up wherever Sparkler was!

Twilight: Sparkler, that’s Flurry Heart, my niece. Where are you?

Sparkler: Sugarcube Corner. You?

Twilight: Ponyville Station. My brother and his family are visiting. But I guess that part was clear wasn’t it.

Sparkler: Just a bit. Meet halfway?

Twilight: Yes, if it isn’t too much trouble.

Sparkler: Not at all. See ya soon Twi.

Twilight smiled in relief. “Flurry’s safe.” She announced. “She ended up in Sugarcube Corner. Where Sparkler happens to be right now. We’re gonna meet her halfway.”

Cadence returned Twilight’s relieved smile. “That’s good.” She said. “Though I’m kinda glad Shining ran off now.”

“Why?” Twilight asked.

“Let’s just say hearing Flurry was with Sparkler would…not sit well with him at the moment.” Cadence responded.

“I assure you Sparkler won’t do anything to her.” Twilight replied.

“I know that. But…Shining…he’s worried that Sparkler’s hiding something and doesn’t exactly trust her.” Cadence said.

Twilight’s eyes widened in realization. “Oh. He thinks she’s evil or something. I can assure you she isn’t. And I’m not just saying that cause I’m in love with her—“ Twilight stopped right there and blushed. She smiled sheepishly. “Uh…I mean, she’s been a good friend to us and I doubt she’s hiding anything else since she came out with her wings.”

Cadance couldn’t help but laugh. Her hunch was right. Twilight DID have feelings for Sparkler. “I see somepony’s experiment opened their eyes.” She commented.

“…Ok fine. Yes. I admit it. I was oblivious to my own feelings. Satisfied?” Twilight asked.

“Oh Twily.” Cadance replied. “I’m just happy you found somepony you can see yourself being with for the rest of your life.”

“Yeah. I can see that this is so much more than that passing crush I had.” Twilight said.

Cadence giggled. “Come on.” She said. “Let’s go meet Sparkler, and you can tell me all about it.”

Twilight nodded as they began walking. “Well, for starters, Sparkler’s now gonna be a mother.” She commented.

“Really?” Cadence asked. “How’d that happen?”

“Long story but she’s adopting a colt…and I kinda already took steps to start hinting at my feelings for her.” Twilight replied.

“Ooh. Do tell.” Cadence replied. Interested in hearing what her sister-in-law had in mind.


Sparkler, Kicker, Maddy and Flappy left Sugarcube Corner. Sparkler carrying a giggling Flurry on her back. Flurry had her forelegs wrapped around Sparkler’s neck. Clinging to her as if she were her mother.

Flappy chuckled at this sight. “Squawk! So apparently we have the world’s most overpowered foal clinging to you like you’re her mother. Squawk!” He commented.

“It would seem like it.” Sparkler couldn’t help but chuckle in reply. The sudden appearance of Flurry Heart at the table they were sharing with Nosey, River, and Pearl was indeed quite a shock. Even more so when Flurry took one look at Sparkler, giggled, and started clinging to Sparkler.

Upon recognizing Flurry, Sparkler immediately Horn Pulsed Twilight. Agreeing to meet her half way for a hoofoff. So after bidding farewell to the two investigators and Pearl, Sparkler and her own little family left the gingerbread store and set course for Ponyville Station.

“How many Ailcorns are there? I mean Alicorns.” Kicker quickly corrected himself, remembering what he was told the right word was. “Gah. I hope I can shake that.” He commented.

Flappy chuckled. “Squawk! There it is again. Hehe. Boy that will never get old. Squawk!” He said.

“To our knowledge, there are only six Alicorns in the world. Twilight, Celestia, Luna, Twilight’s sister Cadence, Me, and adorable little Flurry Heart here.” She explained, smiling at the little filly on her back.

“Squawk! You’re a lucky colt Kicker. Squawk!” Flappy told Kicker. “Squawk! Most ponies can only dream of meeting all the Alicorns. Considering most of them are royalty. Squawk!” He said.

“How come you aren’t a Princess mom?” Kicker asked.

“It’s because—“ Sparkler began, before she was cut off by shouting.

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing with my daughter!” Everypony jumped at that shout, and turned their heads to see a beefy stallion with a white coat and blue hair charging straight for them.

For the moment they were confused, but then they saw the stallion stop in his tracks and light his horn. Pointing it RIGHT at Sparkler! “Get away from her you villain!” He shouted at Sparkler.

Sparkler, after recovering from her moment of shock, instinctually assumed a defensive posture while lighting her own horn towards the stallion. Flappy meanwhile put himself between the two. As did Maddy, who growled at the stallion.

“Squawk! Whoa! Alright pal! I don’t know who you are. But if you expect us to do ANYTHING you ask you better chill out and dim that horn! Squawk!” Flappy growled at the stallion.

“Who are you anyway?” Sparkler asked.

“Captain Shining Armor of the Crystal Guard in the Crystal Empire. That’s MY daughter you’re holding hostage!” Shining shouted.

Sparkler’s eyes widened. Shining Armor, that’s Twilight’s brother. “You’re Twilight’s brother?” She asked. Her eyes widened again when she realized what he just accused her of. “Oh, oh no you got it all wrong captain. I can assure you I’m not holding Flurry hostage. I was—“

“Silence!” Shining cut her off, his blood boiling with rage. “I know who you are, Sparkling Medley. You may have everypony else fooled, but I know you’re up to no good! Now surrender the foal!” He barked at her.

Sparkler, deciding it was best to do what he said, turned her head to smile at Flurry. “Hey Flurry.” She cooed. “How bout you go back to your dad.”

Flurry giggled, and with a flash of her horn, teleported onto her father’s back.

Flappy smiled when this happened, thinking this would be over now. “Squawk! Alright captain. You have your daughter back. Now how about you stand down now—“

“I said quiet!” Shining said, cutting Flappy off. “Nopony is going anywhere until the Royal guard arrives. You’re under arrest!” Shining shouted directly at Sparkler.

That got a gasp out of everyone. Flappy’s anger was rapidly increasing over this stallion’s clear hostilities. And he didn’t miss that he called Sparkler a villain.

“On what charge?” Asked Kicker, who had been hiding behind Sparkler. He peaked out to look at the hostile stallion. “Why is she under arrest?”

Shining’s eyes widened. There was another hostage! “Another hostage! Let him go you criminal!” He yelled at Sparkler.

That scared Kicker back into his hiding place as Sparkler was getting tired of this stallion. “Look buddy. I don’t know what your deal is. But I—“

“If you don’t stay quiet I’ll make you!” Shining cut her off, again. “You thought you would get away with it did you? You thought you could just waltz in here. Pretend to be hiding your wings out of shame just to gain everypony’s trust, then take us all out before we can do anything. Well think again! This is the end of the line for you villain!” Shining declared, his horn still lit and pointed at Sparkler.

Ok, now this was just getting ridiculous. Flappy was milliseconds away from tearing this guy a new one. And Sparkler’s patience with the stallion was getting razor thin. What the hay is this guy’s problem?

“What the hay is going on here!” Shouted a new voice. Everypony glanced over and saw a pair of ponies. One of them Sparkler was always happy to see.

Twilight sat there with a shocked expression on her face. Her brain was struggling to wrap her head around what she was seeing. Her brother had Sparkler at horn point.

Shining saw Twilight and Cadance and smiled. “Twilight, Cady, good. I told you Cadence. I TOLD you this mare was evil! She just tried to foalnap Flurry and she’s still got a hostage in another colt!” He said.

“What?!” Sparkler exclaimed. “I would never do any of those things! I was on my way to return Flurry to her family!” She explained.

“Likely story!” Shining said. “Twilight, I’m telling you this mare has been lying to you. We need to throw her in the dungeon and alert Celestia.” He said. “We can’t let her get away with whatever she’s planning!”

“NO!” Twilight shouted in the Royal Canterlot Voice, much to the shock of everypony around her.

Twilight didn’t care. She ran and placed herself between Sparkler and Shining. “No. We are not gonna throw an innocent pony in the dungeon! She has done nothing to deserve that!” She told him.

“Do you not see the colt that she’s holding hostage?!” Shining asked.

“He is not her hostage. If anything, Sparkler SAVED him from being a hostage of actual criminals!” Twilight shot back. “She’s been taking care of him for the past few weeks and is petitioning to adopt him.” She explained.

“Oh so she’s looking for somepony she can raise to be evil like her?” Shining asked.

Twilight’s jaw dropped. She couldn’t believe how hostile Shining was being. “She is NOT evil Shining. I can promise you that!” She exclaimed.

“She’s not evil?” Shining asked. “She hid the fact that she’s an Alicorn when she first moved here! Why would she do that other than to try to hide her true intentions?”

“Are you kidding me?!” Twilight exclaimed. “Did you NOT read the letter I sent? The one that very clearly explained EXACTLY why she hid her wings? I’m positive it got to you before the newspapers did!”

“Oh come on Twilight.” Shining replied. “Do you know how ridiculous all that sounded? Who in their right minds would pick on an Alicorn? No, she HAD to have made that up just to gain your pity!”

“Uh…guys.” Sparkler chimed in, seeing something coming.

“I agree that it’s ridiculous what she was put through. But she did NOT make that up! Nopony that emotionally scarred could make that up!” Twilight retorted.

“What about how she came to be? Two non-Alicorns giving birth to an Alicorn? How in the world could that happen? Flurry is considered a stretch even with Cadence as a mother!” Shining shot back.

“Uh…T-Twilight?” Kicker asked. Seeing the same thing Sparkler saw.

“Whether she was really born an Alicorn or not is irrelevant right now!” Twilight shouted. “The point is you are not going to come here and accuse her of being evil just because of her species!” Twilight declared. “She’s already getting enough of that horsecrap from the Nobles in Canterlot!”

“Twilight!”

“Squawk! Twilight! Squawk!” Shouted everypony not named Twilight or Shining.

“What!” Twilight whirled her head around and growled at those behind her. All she saw was Sparkler pointing behind her. Twilight looked to where Sparkler was pointing and finally saw it. While she was dealing with her apparently insane brother, a Bugbear had come to town. They watched as it landed and roared at them.

Maddy and Flappy decided the best place for them was behind Sparkler with Kicker. So they too hid behind her while Cadance and Twilight assumed defensive postures and lit their horns.

Shining glanced at his back, and saw that Flurry was gone. “What the…where’s Flurry now?” He asked.

Sparkler looked around, until she saw the filly land right in front of the monster. “Oh hay no!” She lit her horn and teleported away from her spot.

Shining, Cadence, and Twilight came to see Flurry in front of the monster and all gasped in horror. “Flurry!” They all cried.

They watched as the bugbear raised it’s claw, clearly intent on striking Flurry. They watched helplessly as the monster brought it’s claw down, and right as it was about to contact, a blue puff of smoke suddenly erupted, enveloping Flurry.

Shining, Cadance, and everypony else watched as the bug bear’s claw seemingly bounced out of the cloud of smoke. Said smoke dissipated and they saw something that made Twilight want to jump for joy. The smoke cleared to reveal Sparkler, standing protectively in front of Flurry and erecting a shield around the both of them.

Sparkler glanced behind her, and saw that Flurry was unharmed. She smiled, then frowned as she looked back at the bugbear. “Not today you beast.” She canceled the shield and encased the monster in her magic. Bringing it’s head close to her own. “Listen you overgrown kitbash of a bug and a bear, I have not had the best last few minutes. What with somepony—“ She sent a glance Shining’s way. “—accusing me of something I didn’t do and threatening me at horn point. So as you can imagine. I’m NOT in the mood for your shenanigans. So, here’s what’s gonna happen. You are going to leave this town, and NEVER come back. Or I will eviscerate you. Got it!” She shouted at the beast.

The beast nodded in response, seemingly terrified. Sparkler smirked and let the beast go. “Now beat it!” She lit her horn and fired an intense burst of magic that flung the bugbear right out of town. She dimmed her horn and nodded at her handiwork. “And stay out!” She shouted after the beast.

Twilight and Cadence both breathed a sigh of relief that Sparkler had saved Flurry. Shining…well his anger just started dying down. Sparkler picked Flurry up in her magic and floated her over to Cadence, who took Flurry in her forelegs without hesitation and hugged her for dear life.

“Thank you Sparkler. You saved Flurry.” Cadence said.

“Just doing what anypony would do.” Sparkler said.

Kicker, after recovering from the shock of what he just saw, smiled and ran up to Sparkler. “Holy smokes mom!” He exclaimed. “That was awesome!”

Maddy expressed her agreement by running up and licking Sparkler on the face wagging her tail. Sparkler chuckled. “Eh. It wasn’t much.” She said.

Twilight chuckled, and then glanced over at Shining. “Still think she’s evil?” She asked.

“I…she…” Shining sighed. He had to do it. “She did good.” He murmured.

Twilight gave a satisfied nod. “We’re still having a little talk. Hey Cadence. How bout you three head to the castle. I’ll be along in a moment.”

Cadence nodded and beckoned for Shining to come, which he did. They walked away from Twilight and Sparkler. Cadence whispering to Shining. “You told me you’d be nice to her.” She hissed.

“That was before I saw her with Flurry.” Shining whispered back. “What was I supposed to do?”

“Did she TRY to explain?” Cadence asked. “And before you answer, I WILL ask her.”

“…Maybe she did.” Shining admitted.

“You’re going to apologize to her before we go home.” Cadence said.

Back where they left Twilight and Sparkler, Twilight smiled at her fellow Alicorn friend. “Thank you for saving Flurry Sparkler. I really do appreciate it.” She said.

“No problem Twi.” Sparkler said. “Though apparently I had to, not just because she was in danger.” She added.

Twilight sighed. “I’m sorry about my brother.” She said. “That’s not how I wanted you to meet him.”

“Squawk! He’s lucky you showed up when you did. Squawk!” Flappy said. “Squawk! I was this close to tearing him apart for accusing Sparkler of being evil. Squawk!”

“What was all that about?” Kicker asked. “You aren’t evil. Are you mom?” He asked.

“She most certainly is not, Kicker.” Twilight replied. “It was just my brother being a paranoid idiot.”

“Well. In the end there was no real harm done.” Sparkler said. “But I would not have stopped Flappy if you hadn’t shown up.”

“I don’t blame you.” Twilight replied. “Rest assured Cadence and I will give him a stern talking to. That was an uncalled for overreaction.”

“Does that mean Cadence is on our side? Not the Nobles’?” Sparkler asked.

“It does. And apparently Flurry likes you too.” Twilight said. Giggling a bit.

“Well at least I have the baby’s approval. Hehe.” Sparkler joked.

That got them both chuckling. Til Sparkler felt her horn tingle. It was a message from her dad. She smiled. “Ah. My parents are arriving. Guess that’s my cue to skedaddle.”

Twilight nodded, before an idea came to her. “Say. How bout you all come to the castle for dinner?” She asked. “I promise Shining will be on his best behavior this time.” She added.

Sparkler bit her lip, then glanced at her three companions in Flappy, Maddy, and Kicker. “What do you all say?” She asked.

“I’m down for it.” Kicker said.

“Squawk! So long as somepony isn’t nasty to Sparkler I’ll be down. Squawk!” Flappy replied, that somepony clearly being Shining.

Maddy barked her agreement to the dinner. Sparkler nodded in response. “Alright Twilight. We’ll be around for dinner.” She said.

“Great!” Twilight exclaimed. “See you then!” With that, she trotted off.

Sparkler watched her go and smiled. “See you then Twi.”


A few minutes later, Sparkler Kicker, and the pets all watched on the platform as the Friendship Express slowed to a stop. “I can’t wait to meet them.” Kicker said excitedly.

“Squawk! Be prepared for them to be all over you once we explain what’s going on…cause they may or may not know you exist yet. Squawk!” Flappy told Kicker.

“What? Why not?” Kicker asked.

“Just never got around to letting them know.” Sparkler replied. “But don’t worry. They’ll still love you.” Sparkler assured Kicker.

“Ok.” He said.

The train came to a complete stop and opened its doors, letting ponies get off. Among these ponies were Thundercracker and Aurora, Sparkler’s parents.

Flappy was the first to notice them and he squawked to let them know where they were. “Squawk! Thundercracker! Aurora! Squawk!” He exclaimed.

Thundercracker and Aurora heard that squawk and turned to its source to see Sparkler waving to them. “Hey mom! Dad!” She called out.

“Sparky!” Her parents exclaimed happily. They trotted over to their daughter and pulled her in for a group hug.

“How’re you doing sweetie?” Aurora asked.

“I’m doing fine.” Sparkler replied.

Thundercracker nodded. Then turned his attention to Flappy. “And how about you Flappy?” He asked.

“Squawk! I’ve been doing well. Squawk!” Flappy replied.

“That’s good to hear—whoa!” Aurora’s eyes widened as she felt something sniffing her flank. She turned her head to look behind her to see a dog sniffing her flank. “What the. Who’s dog is this?” She asked.

“That would be our dog.” Sparkler replied. “Maddy. Cut it out.” She told Maddy.

Maddy did what she was told and barked happily, wagging her tail.

Thundercracker smiled and pet her with his hoof, which Maddy leaned into. “Aww! You got a dog? That’s awesome!”

“She’s so adorable!” Aurora added. Petting Maddy as well.

“Squawk! Yeah I guess she’s adorable. Squawk!” Flappy commented. “Squawk! But she’s not the only new addition to the family. Squawk!” He added.

“Pardon?” Thundercracker asked. Confused.

“What do you mean not the only addition?” Aurora asked in equal confusion.

Sparkler cleared her throat nervously. Time to drop a bombshell on her parents. “Well. You see, a few weeks ago I was walking home from running errands one night, and I’ll go into more detail later when we’re someplace more private, but LONG story short…there’s somepony I’d like you to meet.” She said.

“Hello.” Said a new voice unfamiliar to Sparkler’s parents.

Thundercracker and Aurora looked down to where the voice came from, and saw an orange earth pony colt that looked no older than five staring up at them, smiling.

“…Sparkler?” Aurora asked after she recovered from her momentary shock. “Who’s this?”

“Mom, dad.” Sparkler said. “This is Thunder Kicker. And…I’m petitioning to adopt him as my own son.”


At the Castle of Friendship, Cadance, Shining, Flurry, and Twilight all entered the castle. Twilight let out a groan. “Well. That could’ve definitely gone better.” She said.

“I agree with you Twilight. It very well could’ve.” Cadence replied.

“Uh, hi?” Spike waved at everypony. He had been standing there when they came in, and he immediately noticed the mood wasn’t great.

Twilight saw Spike and smiled. “Hey Spike. Listen, Sparkler and her family are gonna join us for dinner. So we’re gonna need some extra food.” She told him.

“Roger that Twilight!” Spike said with a salute. He took to the air and flew off to the Kitchen.

Shining heard Twilight and whirled around to face her. “You invited her to dinner? You actually invited that villa—“

“Stop right there Shining Armor!” Twilight cut him off. “Sparkling Medley is NOT a villain. FAR from it actually.” She growled.

“She foalnapped Flurry.” Shining retorted. “That’s a very villainous thing to do!”

“As I am 100% sure she tried to explain.” Cadence said. “Flurry teleported to Sugarcube Corner. Where Sparkler just HAPPENED to be. She contacted Twilight and we agreed to meet up so she could give Flurry back to us.”

“How can you be so sure that was what she was REALLY going to do?” Shining asked.

“Really Shining? If she wanted to Foalnap Flurry she wouldn’t be carrying her out in the open like I’m sure she was!” Twilight said. “She isn’t stupid, unlike some ponies apparently!”

“Grah. Ok fine!” Shining said. “So she didn’t foalnap anypony. I still don’t trust a word of her supposed backstory. Born an Alicorn to non-Alicorn parents? Treated like a freak in school and forced to hide her wings because of it? How can you be sure she’s not just saying that to get ponies to feel sorry for her?” He asked.

“Because I’ve actually seen the effects her past has on her!” Twilight shouted angrily. After a few deep breaths. She groaned. “We’re continuing this conversation in the Library. But the bottom line is, she and her family are coming over for dinner and you will be nice to her from now on.” Twilight stated.

“And.” Cadence chimes in. “After our little chat. When she comes around you will apologize for treating her like she’s a villain.”

Before Shining could say anything, Twilight grabbed him in her magic and dragged him along, with Cadence and Flurry in tow.


“Alright Sparkler. We’re in private like you wanted.” Aurora said upon all of them entering the living room of Sparkler’s house.

“Yeah. I don’t think what I’m about to tell you needs to be public knowledge.” Sparkler responded.

“So. What’s the deal with Kicker here?” Thundercracker asked.

“Where did you meet him?” Aurora asked. “What made you want to talk about this in private? And most importantly. Why the Faust didn’t you tell us in your last letter that you were gonna adopt him?!” She exclaimed as she wrapped a foreleg around Kicker.

“Don’t you think we would’ve liked to know right away that we were gonna have a grandson?” Thundercracker asked, chuckling.

“Especially one so handsome and cute as Wittle Thundy here.” Aurora added in a cute baby voice, ruffling Kicker’s mane.

“Aww. Grandma.” Kicker replied, blushing in embarrassment.

Sparkler giggled. “Sorry I never told you in my last letter. But I’m glad you approve of this.” She said.

“Of course dear!” Aurora responded. “We always hoped you’d eventually start a family of your own.”

“Though if we could go back to the private thing.” Thundercracker chimes in, deciding it was story time. “It must be quite a story how you met Kicker.” He inferred.

“Squawk! You don’t know the half of it. Squawk!” Flappy responded. “Squawk! For starters, how Kicker became an orphan is not your average tale. Squawk!”

“So what IS that story?” Aurora asked.

“You two might wanna sit down for this, and let me finish before asking any questions.” Sparkler responded.

After they all sat down, Sparkler began the tale of how she met Kicker, and everything that followed. Kicker revealing his disturbing past, Celestia sending investigators to handle the case, Kicker being foalnapped and hospitalized by the two who caused his disturbing past. She told them everything, only leaving out the bit about UniMagix, because she guessed that wasn’t supposed to be commonly shared knowledge.

Thundercracker and Aurora listened attentively to Sparkler’s story, and suffice to say, they understood why Sparkler wanted this to be a private conversation. By the end, Aurora was in tears and Thundercracker was trying to control his anger.

“…So. That’s the story, how we met Kicker, how he became an orphan, and, well, just about everything that’s happened since he came into my life.” Sparkler finished.

“Sweet Faust. Three years?” Aurora asked. “They took three years of his life, that’s awful!” She cried.

“Those good for nothing featherbrains should be locked up for life.” Thundercracker said.

“Squawk! Personally I would yeet them through the gates of Tartarus if it were up to me. Squawk!” Flappy responded.

“With the evidence stacked against them, I doubt they’ll be able to get out of jail time. How much jail time they get will be up to the court.” Sparkler said.

“I hope it’s for life.” Aurora stated. “Anypony who does that to foals is just the worst.”

“Squawk! You said it! Squawk!” Flappy replied. “Squawk! Thank Faust Kicker’s out of their hooves now and is now in much more capable hooves. Squawk!”

“Yeah.” Aurora said. She smiled at Kicker. “Don’t you worry dear. Sparkler’ll take great care of you. Always.”

“She’s the best mom I could ever ask for.” Kicker said, hugging Sparkler afterwards.

Aurora and Thundercracker smiled in approval. They were happy their daughter was now building her own family. Aurora cleared her throat after a second. “You know what? This calls for a nice family dinner. Think we can get reservations this late in the day Sparkler?” She asked.

“Actually.” Sparkler replied. “Twilight invited all of us to have dinner at her castle with her, her siblings, and their daughter.” She explained. “Starlight and Spike as well.”

“How nice of her!” Aurora responded.

“And uh…don’t take this the wrong way, but I kinda like that idea better than going to a restaurant.” Sparkler said, blushing a little.

Her parents chuckled in response. “Nothing wrong with that dear.” Aurora said.

“And hey, this could be your chance to talk to Twilight about that thing you got going on.” Thundercracker smirked.

Sparkler blushed. “Ahem.” She looked away and smiled sheepishly. “I’m actually waiting til Kicker’s adoption is official to do that. Ya know. Can’t have too much going on as once.” She said.

“Squawk! Aw come on Sparkler! Squawk!” Flappy said. “Squawk! Ya can’t put it off forever. Especially since she KNOWS you love her. Sooner or later you HAVE to talk to her. Squawk!”

“I know. I know.” Sparkler replied. “Look, we’ll see what happens. But right now, I just want to have a nice friendly dinner with her.”

“Alright.”

“Squawk! Alright. Squawk!”Everyone replied.

Sparkler gave a satisfied nod. “Now then. Since we have time. Hey Kicker, you still want to get that Hearth's Warming tree?” She asked.

“Yeah! Let's go get one!” Kicker exclaimed excitedly.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Thundercracker asked, he lit up his horn and placed Kicker on his back. “Let’s go get a tree!”

“Yeah!” Kicker replied.

Aurora and Sparkler watched, and chuckled as Thundercracker trotted to the front door with Kicker. “Of course our first grandchild is named THUNDER Kicker.” Aurora commented.

“The similarity was not lost on me.” Sparkler replied. Indeed she recognized early on the similarities in Kicker’s and her dad’s names. “Let’s not keep the boys waiting.”

“After you.”


“You’re kidding.” Starlight said. “You actually put yourself down as Kicker’s second parent?” She asked. Starlight was helping Twilight and Cadance set the dinner table. Their conversation had turned to their plan for Sparkler’s birthday tomorrow, and while she was glad to hear Sparkler’s adoption petition had been approved, she was shocked when Twilight revealed that she had gotten her name added as Kicker’s second parent.

“Yeah. I did.” Twilight said. “It’ll be better in the long run if Kicker started with two parents from the beginning. Like he had before…that.” She explained.

“Ok.” Starlight agreed. “I can see the logic there. But I can’t help but feel that’s not the whole reason you’re doing this Twilight.” She said.

Cadence chuckled. “There is another reason. She’s also hoping this will hint to Sparkler that her feelings are mutual.” She said.

“Really now?” Starlight asked. Smirking at Twilight. “Well aren’t you just the creative little lover Twi.” She commented.

“Well…there is still one problem. I want to ask her out when we eventually have that inevitable chat, but I don’t know what I could ask her out for.” Twilight admitted.

“Luckily I have the perfect idea.” Cadence chimed in. “The Yule Ball in Canterlot.”

“The Yule Ball?” Twilight asked.

“Exactly. Slow dancing to the best of the music, maybe sharing a kiss under the Mistletoe. It can be very romantic.” Cadence explained.

Twilight thought about it, and smiled after a moment’s thought. “Yeah. Yeah I could do that! Thanks Cadence!” She exclaimed happily.

“Anytime Twilight. But I will warn you. If you do not talk to her by the end of tomorrow, I’ll lock you two in a room til you do.” Cadence warned, chuckling.

“You have no idea how many times I wanted to do the same Cadence.” Starlight replied with a giggle. “It was honestly getting painful to watch.”

“Alright alright!” Twilight said. “I get it. Me being oblivious was getting old fast. Can we just move on now?” She asked.

“Oh Twilight. You know we’re only kidding. It’s awesome you finally found a special somepony.” Starlight said.

Twilight was about to answer, when there was a knock on the castle doors. She beamed. “Oh! Sparkler and her family are here!” She trotted off.

A moment later, she reached the front door, and found Shining apparently going to do the same thing she was. “Uh, Shining, maybe I should answer?” She said.

“Uh…right.” Shining replied.

Twilight nodded and answered the door. Opening it to reveal Sparkler and her family. “Sparkler! So glad you guys could all make it!” She said happily.

“Thanks for inviting us Twilight.” Sparkler replied.

Twilight nodded. “Thundercracker Aurora. How’re you doing?” She asked as she let her guests in.

“We’re doing great thanks for asking.” Aurora replied.

“Squawk! Yeah. We’re doing—whoa! Hold the ketchup! Squawk!” Flappy exclaimed after he saw the hostile stallion from earlier was there. “Squawk! You! Squawk!” He growled.

“Yeah…it’s me…” Shining responded. Nervous as all heck.

Sparkler came face to face with Shining after the door was closed. “Captain.” She greeted him. Using his rank. While also keeping a neutral tone.

“Hey.” Shining responded. “How’s it going?” He asked.

“Could be better.” Sparkler replied.

“Squawk! What do YOU want? Squawk!” Flappy asked.

“Sparkler.” Twilight said, catching Sparkler’s attention. “Shining has something he’d like to say to you.” She told her.

“Yeah.” Shining admitted. “Look…about earlier…I uh…that was uncalled for on my part. I shouldn’t have just assumed things because you’re an Alicorn. You’re not evil as I first thought. I-I’m sorry, really.” He said.

All eyes turned to Sparkler, who immediately had a response. “Why did you believe I was evil in the first place? What gave you that impression?” She asked.

“It boiled down to my past experiences with powerful creatures, like Alicorns.” Shining explained. “I don’t know what Twily’s told you about some of her adventures, but suffice to say, most recent powerful creatures I’ve encountered have tried to take over Equestria. And when Twilight told me your history…I had believed that it was a ruse. A ploy just to gain favor with Twilight.”

“Squawk! It’s NOT a ruse though. We’ve got three witnesses to it right here! Squawk!” Flappy countered.

“Yeah. I understand now that it’s not a ruse. I just…I just wanted to protect my little sister. Make sure she isn’t making the same mistake I did.” Shining said. “I really am sorry I overreacted when I saw you with Flurry. I guess all those suspicions were supercharged by my overprotective antics.” Shining apologized.

Nopony moved, or said a word for several seconds. Finally, Sparkler broke the silence. “I’m not gonna lie captain, I would not have stopped Flappy from tearing you a new one if Twilight hadn’t shown up when she did.” She said. “We don’t take kindly to anypony being hostile towards us.” She took a deep breath. “But I guess I can understand why you’d be skeptical of me. So let’s do this, let’s pretend like our first encounter never happened and start over.” She suggested.

Shining smiled and nodded. “Yeah. I think that might be best. Though, you don’t have to call me captain. Shining will do fine.” He said.

“Alright Shining.” Sparkler replied.

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. She was glad Shining and Sparkler could put the past behind them and move forward. “Good for you two. Alright, now that I can relax and not worry about my brother and my best friend being hostile towards each other, who’s up for dinner?” She asked.

“Yeah!” Kicker exclaimed. “Finally I don’t have to drink my food anymore! Oh! Is pizza an option?”

That got everypony to chuckle as they all made their way to the dining room. Shining smiled at Sparkler. “So you really want to be a parent to Kicker there.” He commented.

“Yeah.” Sparkler said. “Yeah I do.”

“If ya need any parenting tips, just shoot me and Cadence a letter.” He said with a wink.

Sparkler giggled. “I’ll be sure to do that.” She replied. Genuinely grateful that Shining came around. Phew! I was worried I was gonna have to deal with the whole disapproving brother shtick. She inwardly smiled wide. That was one less obstacle in her way to Twilight’s heart.

To be continued…

Author's Note:

Woo! This one was a long one. Hehe.

Notes:

Maddy's english speaking is what Flappy hears.

Shining being hostile to Sparkler is something I think he would do given his experiences with powerful creatures.

I'm still taking questions. Remember to specify who the question is for.
Anniversary Q&A!

Now! Stay tuned for the 75th episode of the overall Sparkling Harmony Series!

THX FOR READING

PreviousChapters Next