• Published 29th Aug 2020
  • 2,212 Views, 1,177 Comments

Baa-Ram-Ewe! - Darkonshadows



"Baa-Ram-Ewe!" - The ancient war cry of the lambkin.

  • ...
13
 1,177
 2,212

PreviousChapters Next
50. Future Crossroads.

-Huoshan, Lambchop residence, Tianhuo-

“I find myself exhausted again…” Many could see my composure cracking in my off days, how did Pom survive having this many familiars to deal with? I was doing her work on top of my own and I could not impose on Fluttershy’s kindness again.

I flopped onto bed, between my duties to Huoshan and duties to my missing wife’s pack, I was running myself ragged. I was trying not to think too hard about Pom being in danger, the nature of longma would be considered stoicism beyond reason… and I’m well beyond that point.

It has not affected me while on the job, but in privacy? I may cry and weep, but I was not alone in my sorrow, Blighter and all the others of Pom’s familiar pack were right here with me.

Despite all the trouble with taking care of every single one of them, even the timber wolf being the most off putting, I wouldn’t trade them for anything as they were my family.

I didn’t have much growing up, I was almost an outcast and a longma that couldn’t ignite despite how strong I was and how often I bullied others. I tempered myself into something great, but Pom made things even greater for the both of us when we came together under odd circumstances.

I had mastered the ways of the warrior, she had mastered the ways of making a home. We could survive on our own well enough, but with each other we thrived. I miss that feeling so.

Ruff crawled up onto the bed and licked my cheek, I gave him a smile and a gentle nuzzle. Big Mama huffed and shook her head, she knew I was going to break and was imploring me to silently get help. I will have to call in the aid of Fluttershy’s friend Doctor Fauna and… the aid of Huoshan Canine Division.

I should have thought of that sooner. Even if the head of their division is missing, the people of the division are still there and able to lend assistance and take a great many burdens off my back.

I should book a day at the spa if I am making mistakes so big as to not ask for help, my pride is not worth breaking myself for.

Please come home soon Pom.

-A beach, Celestia-

With Twilight taking up our positions as ruler of Equestria, I really didn’t have much to do. I could do whatever I wanted and it was exciting.

I intended to spend most of the first year off from being a princess on beach sunbathing and being as lazy as possibly. Of course I would throw some adventure in while I was at it.

“Thank you for your time Princess Luna.” Turning to see a Thestral fly off, I sighed audibly.

Luna hasn’t quite dropped her duties to the thestrals.

Luna went back to relaxing under a parasol, my sister sunburns so easily and was still rather delicate despite trying to not come off as the princess she still wanted to be and wanted to be more approachable.

We were taking a vast break from politics by shoving it onto Twilight Sparkle, last I heard she was trying to get lambkin to be friends with changelings. I wished her good luck with that, but it was going to be an uphill or more like up an entire up mountain battle, she wouldn’t ever reach that peak if she weren’t an alicorn now.

I think my sister was correct in not dropping the thestrals all on Twilight, she was still in charge of the people of the night whereas Twilight was in charge of the main three pony races of the day.

We should seriously consider taking back the sun and moon duties eventually. I mean those duties weren’t nearly as hard as running an entire nation, also… special talents can’t be avoided forever. The sun and moon only needed to be moved so much during a day or night.

“Sister, I hear of Twilight’s efforts to try and bring the lambkin and changelings together as friends, it is not going too well even with thestrals and other races trying to assist as intermediaries.” Apparently the news Luna received had her grinning slightly and she was likely feeling the same sense of amusement that I was. “Do the lambkin’s still have the banners that say ‘we told you so’ in big well written out letters?”

“Yes, they tried to tell people that changelings existed and of course nobody would believe them because they are the most anxiety riddled race in existence and blow a lot of things out of proportions.” I stated calmly, but I had a smile on my face. “Just because they are right about most things doesn’t mean that they aren’t overly paranoid and the most anxiety riddled race on Equus.”

“So the entire thing with the marmalade?” Luna queried curiously.

“Queen Novo caused that and the lambkin are far more in tune with things than we tend to give them credit for.” They were so acutely paranoid, that it was scary that they got things right far more often than they ever got them wrong. “They should really collate all their evidence together, might solve a few worldwide problems in the long run. They are one of the few races that any evil is wary of trying to mess with due to their people wide insanity.”

“Should we tell Twilight about the Neighpon black market setting up close to Ponyville?” Despite our laid back attitudes, it seems that Luna couldn’t quite stay away from the intrigue of it all.

“No, I’m sure she’ll figure it out eventually, unless she’s too busy with trying to wrangle ‘The Squirrels’ to make sure their nuts aren’t going everywhere.” If I remember right my good friend Lady Nutcase was probably going to drive Twilight completely nuts with her underworld connections.

If Twilight doesn’t find out about the S.M.I.L.E. organization being reinstated before we passed things over to her before ‘The Squirrels’ start running rampant, then things were going to get quite amusing.

“You are a most cruel pony Celestia.” Despite saying this with flat tone, I could see Luna wanted to laugh and was trying quite hard to hold back her giggles. “Wouldn’t have you any other way sister.”

“Well we have to have some fun in our advanced ages, it wouldn’t do if Twilight didn’t have a few hiccups along the way that she could pester us about.” A mafia run by squirrels would be the least of Twilight’s worries, but Equestria was in goods hooves… provided Discord didn’t turn most of Equestria into a solitary jelly doughnut again.

There were so many things that Twilight has yet to learn. I may not be a good actor, but I’m much better at not telling everyone everything under the sun and omitting information was something fun to do. Discord might be sour with me later though for causing more chaos than he generally does, but he would certainly enjoy it.

-Outside Zebulos Castle, Pom-

“Where’s Dodo?” First words to come out of my mouth is wondering where Shanty’s familiar ran off to, he was our main mode of transport.

“I don’t be knowing much, but it be something about warmth? He not be causing any trouble as far as I know.” Thankfully Shanty was the very reason I could trust the machine running around rogue by itself. “In fact he be on his way back to us soon and has enjoyed his running from what I feel. He even be giving me the impression of systems green, whatever that be meaning.”

“How much trouble coul… wow Ocellus, you were right. It really is hard to avoid tempting the world to hit us with a curveball with some heat to it.” For a thing with only a head, neck, body and legs, I knew for a fact that Dodo wasn’t to be underestimated in the slightest.

“Speaking of curveballs, we should really tell Shanty and Smolder about what an ISUS truly is and what they tend to get up to.” That was going to be a tough one Ocellus, considering how dangerous things in this world were. We were going to purposely stir a hornets nest worth of it just by acting casually as couriers.

“Should we tell Bruno, Colleen and Jean about it?” I hate my life right now, but if it means I can save a lot of people, then I’d better just suck it up and keep going forward with all four hooves steadily and firmly planted on the ground.

“I think Colleen and Bruno might figure it out on their own.” Understandable Ocellus, most people who were part of a military might hear of rumors of such things like this existing. “Jean might need some help, but even he might notice it eventually.”

“So what do we be doing first as a mission?” Shanty exclaimed exuberantly as she showed up.

“Delivering supplies back to the guild in Cladinhold as a relief effort, they kind of need it.” If I had a town that was known for being crossroads between some territories, then I would want to send relief there too if it kept the Gedol Empire from gaining a further foothold to spread from. “After that we have some choices on where we’re going, the one choice we’re going to avoid is going behind enemy lines to deliver a message to possible allies. So our next destinations would be back up into Zephyrus territory to the direct north, to the east by south east into Devotindos territory, the far north to Yellow Dog Army territory, there's Jean's home region in a magical mire near where Gedol originates from slightly north east and finally there’s going to Eginasem which would take us the longest to get to given we’d have to circle around all the embattled zones to even get there to the far east.”

Shanty hummed audibly, but didn’t say anything, she seemed fairly curious about seeing those regions personally.

Zephyrus wasn’t exactly the safest territory at the moment, it was actually becoming a pretty badly contested zone. The last rocket knight Sparkster was doing his best to bring peace back to all the regions, but he was just one guy and couldn’t be everywhere at once. Wherever he did go, he made a huge amount of difference given he was a force multiplier and quite talented at devastating evil core machines in quick succession.

What made things harder for Sparkster was the evil rocket knight Axel Gear, a guy who seemed to joined those who were power hungry at the drop of a hat. At least King Zebulos had given us a description and a warning to look out of the other rocket pack wearing opossum who was deadly to face in combat, he wrecked regular soldiers in the field with such ease whenever he appeared. He was a guy to stay away from or else you get massacred,

Zephyrus sounded somewhat safer than visiting Devotindos and Yellow Dog, both of whom have gripes with Zebulos from losing a war they started in the first place and from causing a skirmish throughout the northeastern Eginasem region beyond the desert. Less politics, but more chances of fighting giant machines.

I was having problems trying to think of what was safe for the girls and I was guilt ridden with the fact that evil core machines were just something I couldn’t deal with. I was nothing more than a small distraction for them at best and I was pretty small lambkin already.

It’s a wonder my fears weren’t as paralyzing to me as they were to other lambkins, then again I had to live with a pack of my fears in the form of my beasties which likely made me a bit more numb to the fact that life wasn’t fair at all.

Even if you found a perfect place to be and someone perfect for being with you in that said place, you still had to work your flank off to survive. No sunshine and rainbows forever, even on Equus there was always fires going on somewhere, even in Equestria where it’s always under a thin veneer of the ponies trying to hide when things are going wrong around them.

Ocellus drew my attention to her, she apparently relayed to our three traveling companions that we were going to return to Cladinhold as soon as the soldiers were do done with loading up the wagon for a delivery. We were delivering several messages to Cladinhold as much as supplies, from there we could take one of the messages further abroad to one of the locations I’ve mentioned.

“Until Dodo returns we can’t exactly leave.” Ocellus muttered, the wagon was nearly finished being loaded. “Tell me honestly Pom… aside from my linguistic skills… am I being entirely useless to everyone?”

“Maybe in a fight, but you’re doing the best that you can Ocellus.” I see her wince and tilted my head, Shanty wandered off to Smolder while looking between us.

“Sometimes… that… just doesn’t feel good enough. I get progressively more helpless the closer I am around any evil core machine. I seriously don’t feel like I’m pulling my weight to help our group survive and Dodo is another mouth to feed because apparently he runs off food with a biological engine.” Ocellus sat down in the grass next to the wagon for the White Knight Couriers personal use, I quickly joined her. “I feel like… like I’m being the parasite that I am.”

“You’re not a parasite Ocellus.” I gently rested a hoof around her withers and drew her into a hug.

“Tell that to all the other lambkin Pom, bet you’d be laughed out of whatever town you’d try it in.” Ocellus muttered bitterly. “At least Smolder can bring her claws and strength to a battle, I don’t like fighting and I can’t help in that area. Sure I’ve done it a few times, but I’m not able to leap into action like you and Shanty can.”

“Do you think I like fighting, especially for my life and that of others? Try to live with having multiple friends with insane martial prowess telling you that you have some incredible untapped potential, then try living up to what they think they see in you.” I rested my head on top of hers. “Who was it that told me to focus on what I’m capable of doing and to not compare myself to them all the time? You’re a good friend, you have an incredible talent for diplomatic skills, you can feasibly learn almost any language in a week or multiple languages in that same week and unlike ponies, you can even be whatever you want to be. You can walk a literal mile in someone else’s hooves to see things from their perspectives. The most amazing thing about you is that you have the ability empathize with just about anyone, you should not be feeling like I do all the time. I feel useless in many cases, I felt useless back in Gongmen City sitting on the sidelines watching you girls run off to do things I probably shouldn’t have let you do. At least you listened to my advice about how to go about things. Can you honestly tell me that you aren’t earning the love from Smolder… Shanty… or even from me?”

I opened up my heart to her and I watched Ocellus quiver a bit, she looked away.

“Ocellus, I’m the adult of our group and I have an obligation to take care of all of you, even to my complete and utter detriment if needed of me. I’m more terrified for the three of you than I am of everything else. I’m responsible for you, if you want to entirely stay out of the fighting then I’m willing to not make a fuss about it. Life can be cruel sometimes, but I’m sure you’re aware of that growing up how you did until Thorax took up the responsibility of being a father to all the changelings. That’s what a good kings does, no one is more expendable in his eyes than the king himself and yet people are willing to move mountains for him and to go above and beyond for the greater whole of all their friends, loved ones and the community.” I sighed as she leaned into my hug and sniffled. “I can’t protect you from this world, I can only mitigate the damage that might come your way. You’re still growing up and have a life ahead of you. I already know my place in life, where I’m supposed to be and where my heart wants to go back to, but current circumstances are asking me to step up and expend myself for the sake of our little group. You’re homesick, but how do you think Smolder and I feel?”

“Not very good recently.” Ocellus mumbled. “Even when I can feel your emotions, it’s sometimes hard for me to speak up.”

“Do you wonder why Shanty gets my attention the most? Why I favor her more than the two of you?” I stated bitterly towards myself. “It’s because we’re all that she has ever truly had, we are her entire world and she has nothing to look forward to other than her dreams and her next meal. Eventually… she’s going to have to leave us behind to follow her dream of being a pirate. I think the thing with burning octobot is starting to make it click for her about the kind of life she wants to lead. I want her to have good memories of us… is that really too much to ask? That we be supportive of her goals, even if they are extremely dangerous. I don’t want her to give up her dream and I don’t want her to try and cling to us when it comes time for us to go our separate ways.”

“I guess I can add being selfish to a list.” It seemed Ocellus had wanted my attention too, which is why we were having this conversation.

“We’re all a little selfish Ocellus, you wouldn’t have the magic of friendship in you if you weren’t… at least that’s what you and smolder told me about.” I looked to the sky that was not our own and leaned back. “If anything I’m the selfish one for wanting to keep Shanty from her dreams, to hold onto her and take her in, to let her have a family that can give her the love she needs and deserves after what was an exceptionally bad start to her life. She’d be miserable...”

“So where should I convince everyone we should go?” If being diplomatic was all Ocellus could do, then she was going to come to me for direction.

“Well it’ll be over my body before I lose any one of you at this rate, but it’s nice to know that you’ll continue to be an even greater friend than before.” Being rudderless wasn’t helping my situation when we were in a stormy sea as part of a Screw Squad. “I’ll ultimately leave our destination up to you. I’m only going to throw my own suggestion into the ring, the safest place we can go is Yellow Dog. My unique calming effect on people like Colleen would make it ridiculously safe, but it’s not going to be up to me and I’m terrified of the prospect. I’m leaving the final say up to you so you can do more, you’re the one that can communicate between us all and I trust you to make the call. The call to adventure that is going to find us regardless of wherever we eventually end up.”

“That’s… a lot of pressure…” After a moment Ocellus smiled. “I kind of know what it feels like to be you, I’m getting used to all the nervousness and anxiety you constantly leak out, you’re a lot braver than I thought you’d be and those other emotions are hard to find at times.”

“Acting despite my emotions is probably the problem your having Ocellus, emotions do not always define a beings choices.” At my words, Ocellus simply nodded with a slightly grim look on her face.

“Hopefully it will never come to 'that' choice, I think I’ve come to appreciate you too much as a person, a friend… and a hero that someone like Shanty can look up to.” Ocellus seemed a bit more chipper than before. “Shanty will understand when the time comes for her to actually seek her dream out, the least we can do is prepare her for it.”

“I’m no hero, at best I’m a fool that willingly rushes headlong into danger for others.” My mouth quirked into a faint grin as I ran my hoof over the top of Ocellus’s head rapidly to make her squirm as I held her close.

“Hey guys, Dodo is being here!” Hearing Shanty shout, we both got up and saw him approach Shanty and he seemed to be almost giddy about something.

Dodo turned his heard to his back and craned it down into his backside which was loaded with something. He plucked out a basket and placed it before a confused looking shanty who picked up one of the many cupcakes stuff into it. He then plucked three other baskets to place before Smolder, me and Ocellus.

Dodo then warbled cheerfully in that odd mechanical whine after he placed a basket down for Colleen, Jean and Bruno.

“Um… he be sharing all this with us?” That was fairly obvious Shanty.

My question was this, who made all these cupcakes and did Dodo cause problems in getting them? I watched as Smolder plucked one from her basket and bit into it.

“Huh, tastes like Pinkie Pie’s brand of cupcakes.” At least smolder was happy to have one.

Hearing a groan of pleasure, I looked over to see Jean trying one of them. Bruno tried one and looked at it as if it were mildly acceptable. Colleen in general had a wagging tail after she ate a cupcake and there were several dozen more in every single basket.

Why did it feel like Dodo might have a problem?

-The next day, Cladinhold, Ocellus-

Okay nothing happened between Zebulos Castle, a really beautiful place out on the water, and Cladinhold, a town that was still partially burnt by the fires of war.

I had at least informed everybody of our options.

Colleen seemed iffy about possibly seeing acquaintances, friends or family up north in the Yellow Dog Army, but she wouldn’t explain the reasons she was so cagey about it. She really seemed upset when hearing the message we could deliver would be taking us to someone named ‘Cooler’. I faintly heard her muttered something about ‘Wulfric the Vicious’ and the terror that inspired in her.

Bruno was distrustful of the delivery to ‘Hork’ in the Devotindos territory to the south of what was once Devotindos City. In fact, while he was proud of his people and had a mile wide love of the doughnuts that they made, he didn’t trust the military side nearly as much as he absolutely did the civilian. He was even less inclined to go when he heard we would be delivering a message to a ‘General Sweinhart’, the guy that was placed in charge of the pigs who lost Devotindos City and its production facilities to the Gedol Empire.

Jean seemed okay with going wherever, so long as we were helping people and or be doing good work. He did seem wary of ‘Hork’ being too close to Gedol. He liked the idea of seeing Eginasem though.

"I’ve discussed our options with Pom and the others, we have made a fairly unusual decision…"

Author's Note:

PinkPie.exe managed to execute cupcake creation protocols.

Purpbook.exe is now groaning in frustration.

Classy.exe had fun designing the cupcakes at least.

Derpderp.exe wanted to make muffins.

PreviousChapters Next