• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 364 Views, 2 Comments

Iron In Her Diet - Vis-a-Viscera



Trixie. Iron Will. Shark sightseeing seminars. What could possibly go right?

  • ...
4
 2
 364

Will and Great

Trixie’s eyes left her book on the fourth wave crash. The smashing of briny blue upon the white shores of Horseshoe Bay Beach had been a thrill to her heart. At first. Several times before, the powerful rush symbolized the countless could haves life so tantalizingly offered to her.

You could dazzle the world! (Even if your horn’s power is barely enough to move an empty desk.)

You could be the magician at the center of everypony’s mind! (Even if your mind couldn’t even focus enough to get past page 16 of the book you’re currently reading.)

You could be Great and Powerful again! (Even if a Canterlot-transplanted amateur called Twilight ruined your name and beat you at your game.)

For Trixie, the water had once been reassuring, blue as her coat and just as mysterious. But here, it was her mocking mirror. It both broke her concentration and mimicked the chaos in her mind. Everything she’d set up from her carriage onto this sandy plume? It was supposed to take her away from all that.

Like the ponies formerly on towels all around her were taken in by that enticing sea.

Trixie forewent another attempt to read her dog-eared page so she could see the other beachgoers. Coats of all colors and sizes sparkled with water as they splashed and frolicked. The Great and Powerful could even see several unicorns among them, horns ignited to bring more waves near the sealine. Trixie couldn’t blame them; it was a familiar feeling to her, being in a flat expanse covered in liquid. It was comforting,

Of course, the attention of so large a crowd turned away from Trixie was also too familiar to her.

With a growl, Trixie skipped ahead in her Bella Bogdown book. Page 17 talked of how Belladonna, the wonderful witch who could do anything, tackled the crocodile she met. With a flip and a flick of her wand, she’d brought a branch down onto the great beast! It was a large branch, indeed, but the water monster barely halted its advance. Of course, that wasn’t Belladonna’s goal; the woodpecker nest in it was what she’d use to stop the cragadile!

“Heh heh! Don’t like it when the prey pecks back, do you!”

Belladonna knew all about the cragadiles' fear of woodpeckers! They made mulch of trees to get food, and cragadiles had so often been mistaken for tree-trunks by them repeatedly! With a running start and a distracted beast, Belladonna leaped off her ruined boat and down the thrashing beast’s back. Its ridges clacked against her heels as she dismounted soon after.

The vines above would get her the rest of the way across the bog. Then Belladonna would...would…

Oh, by the stars! Trixie slammed the book shut, a red blush dusting her cheeks. She could have made a better plot than this book in her sleep! Why did she bring this book to begin with?! Trixie did not wallow in fantasies! Trixie made fantasy reality, as only the Great and Powerful could do!

Trixie then rested the book next to her own purple-starred towel. Her hoof only barely covering the -aud Pie written in cursive on the cover. Trixie’s nerves frayed again over the sight of that name - and of what nightmare that mare’s rock candy had brought her. Trixie had only started out with one clump of it to calm her nerves before each performance. Then it grew with her every fear that the next town would find out her Ursa Minor boast was just that.

Now all Trixie had to show for her sweet-tooth was that notice from Doctor Redheart. The reason Trixie had no soda with her today. The reason her fingers twitched with that craving for sugar. The reason her shoes were extra padded and protected today.

And she couldn’t even blame that mare whose signed name graced her cover. Not when she’d saved Trixie’s life in the Pie Rock Farm mines.

Trixie shelved away that tortuous corner of her life with gusto. Turning over to her tube of sunblock, several strips of lotion the same color as her mane were soon spread around her bare limbs and snout. Dusting her hands clean of the remaining lather, Trixie reached for the pillow under her rump, intending to place it under her head and catch some Great and Powerful Z’s.

Unfortunately, it’d be a yell full of the letter at the other end of the alphabet that’d stop her.

Aaaaaaaaaa!”

Trixie’s eyes locked onto the scene. A fin was slowly advancing on the hollering filly in the water. Trixie's horn lit up, her fists clenched, her thoughts raced for a counterstrategy. But just as the threads of a plan connected in her head, the threat was over. That fin was heading toward a ship now, and the hulking minotaur aboard it.

For a while, Trixie took in that boat’s sleek design as a reprieve from her book. The two decks above board were first, black windows making it almost look like a yacht. Even though the first level barely came up to that minotaur's horns, it was gleaming in the sunlight. The glint from the ship came from the shark pens lining the back, easily able to keep up to two ponies safe. And the crowd gathered on that ship’s back end helped it stay amazingly level in the Horseshoe Bay.

As Trixie watched, she saw that the sharks were being attracted to the boat the minotaur was on. What’s more, the ponies on the watercraft with him were cheering as he said, “And with Iron Will’s stare and sea-chummed calling, another little pony’s now safe from mauling!”

Applause filled the air at his boast. The pink filly was soon yanked from her spot beyond the cordon in the water by another mare. Wagging a finger in front of the filly’s face, that mare pointed to the shore. The pink filly sulked for a second before paddling over to the sand.

For Trixie however, her eyes were only on the minotaur. So Iron Will, is it? She thought. Even here, his charisma was magnetizing. Add to it that he’d so effortlessly kept the sea-beasts in check, and Trixie’s mind was soon whirring. The second it stopped its replays of the blue beast that she’d failed to stop in Ponyville, her hooves were taking her to that boat. Unlike with that dreadful day in Ponyville, wild Ursa Minors couldn’t stop Trixie now.

Trixie quickly moved as close to the boat as she could without getting her hooves wet. But she found herself short on options as to how to get to Iron Will’s dinghy. After all, ignited horns and internal bonds make this world go round.

And Trixie had always felt a twinge out of step with it. Why should today be any different?

Well, because this hunk decided to meet her halfway for once. “Another customer, coming aboard! Let Iron Will see you on!”

Suddenly, that ship lurched as it cut the waters to Trixie's position. Trixe nearly stumbled back as it got within several feet of her, the ponies on it bracing hooves on the railings.

C-customer! No, you’re Trixie’s newest customer, and-” But alas, Trixie’s black and purple bikini-clad body was bouncing as she walked the rope bridge the minotaur threw to her from the ship. For some reason, the smooth feel of the timber trembling under her hooves felt… satisfying. Why, Trixie didn’t want to know. Again, this was supposed to be an escape.

And she was certainly getting lost in Iron Will’s glorious and packed physique.

“Let Iron Will be the first to welcome you to the Mino vs. Wild program!” A sweep of his hand later and Trixie’s eyes tore themselves away from Iron’s hoof-sized pecs to follow his point. In their section of Horseshoe Bay, the sea was full of dark fins racing toward them. Even in the crystal clear water, they were but blurs. Their speed made Trixie’s water, from both strain and envy alike.

Because much like the tide itself, the sea monsters seemed to obey Iron Will’s call for quiet among his crew (or one pony’s going over into the deep blue!”) They lazily lapped against the sides of the ship, the smattering of boulders several yards away.

“So, exactly what is this program about?” Trixie found herself asking.

“Only what every Iron Will program is about - assertion!”

“Well, Trixie fails to see what this service does for anypony.”

“Then Trixie needs to watch and learn, as Iron Will brings the ship for another turn! Hugger, hard to starboard!” The green pony nonchalantly waved to Iron, before twisting the wooden wheel between her hooves. The ship pulled further into the bay, and into the school of sea beasts.

Another pump of Iron Will’s hand and Trixie’s eyes left the sharks to focus on a far more appealing dive. The bucket of chum Iron Will plunged into wasn’t alien to Trixie - her time in Applewood got her used to seeing meat on the menu. Appreciative, too. However, her usual take was shrimp and lobster, something she dined on between shows in that movie-making city.

And that time in Applewood had led her to read the expressions of potential assistants, too. It was much like how her purple eyes caught onto the grimace Iron’s jaw made as he pulled out a handful of guts. Rearing back, Iron Will’s chucking of chum spread out five meters into the bay. Half of the shark’s in their neck of the waters sped toward the food.

“Now, let’s see all of you try it! Starting with our newest skipper!” Iron Will thrush the iron chest toward Trixie with possibly a bit more force than needed. Trixie’s protesting breastbone certainly thought so. “Give it a hurl, and watch those sea hunters whirl!”

Trixie’s blush returned full force. There was no way she was manually reaching Iron Will’s trajectory of chumming. The smell and feel of the guys as they seeped into Trixie’s cerulean skin made her gag. And the one thing that could possibly make her get the chum out a decent distance was something she’d hoped to never use.

Even now, her horn reminded her too much of what horrors it couldn’t humble. Like snarling bears made of stars and snarls, with eerie lamplights for eyes. Ones that echoed behind her eyelids, even when she turned off the lanterns in her card and tried to sleep. Only to end up 2-houring her way out of bed and back to the Pie Rock Farm for another shift. Trixie supposed she should have thanked Cloudy Quartz for giving her this weekend off.

Maybe there were a lot of things Trixie should take the initiative to do.

Maybe.

“Trixie will pass for now. Getting chummy is for ponies who aren’t… here to relax.“ Now a sea of dirty looks shot from some of the ship goers at Trixie. Thankfully, another pony freely took a handful of greasy grimy guts. It also gave Trixie a chance to watch Minuette launch lunch to the marine predators, instead of thinking of how she’d screwed up again.

(Even if a Canterlot-transplanted amateur called Twilight ruined your name and beat you at your game.)

SPLASH!

Trixie was yanked from her thoughts at the sight before her. Apparently, Iron Will’s chum season had been interrupted by a gray shark. Where it’d come from was the issue; as it was right next to the edge of the ship, where Minuette’s hand had flung out seconds ago.

Thankfully, there were three-hundred-sixty pounds of hulking minotaur to keep Minuette’s poor hand safe.

“Now lookit that that, fellow wimps and whinniers!” Will said, hoisting the shark above his head. “The majesty of this great beast is only surpassed by the beasts in you! Hungry! Determined! Ready to break free!” Iron WIll showed off another set of pearly teeth with his cocky grin. “The last is, of course, explained in Iron Will’s book, Life By the Horns! Money back guarantee on a case-by-case basis.”

Trixie screamed as the shark twisted in the air toward her - and then twisted even more in the python-like grip of Iron as he grabbed it by the jaw and barrel. Both the shark’s teeth and Iron’s ring glistened in the sunlike, an arc of sparkles that matched those on Trixie’s hat. Everypony else ooohed and aaahed at the show of strength by the minotaur.

“Don’t worry, folks! Next up, you’ll get to meet ‘em in your dive - and if you follow me, stay alive!” With a mighty shift, Iron Will tugged the ship and flicked at the side of its mouth with a light tap of his finger.

“Get that great white away from the Great and Powerful at once!”

Iron Will chuckled, despite the dangerous beast under his armpit. “Don’t make Iron Will laugh, Trixie! This is a mako! They make great whites run crying for their mommas!” With a grace surprising for such a giant, Iron calmly lowered the mako back into the water. The sea frothed around it as it raced away.

Trixie swore that one of Iron WIll’s hands was missing a ring as he clasped them together. “Well, good for them!” she panted. “But I insist that~!”

“Now, class, it’s to get to get suited up!” bellowed the motivational minotaur. “Iron Will knows you’re not ready to touch these sharks yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get up-close! Push your fears into those sharks and then Stare! Them! Down! And the one who lasts the longest will get this crown!”

Iron Will pulled out a giant silver tiara, another glittering treasure that drew Trixie’s covetous gaze. “If anypony named Filthy Rich asks, tell him Spoiled gave it to me. Telling Filthy why Spoiled parted with it counts as a surrender of the security deposit. Iron Will’s got a code, still.”

“You heard the big guy. Be chiiiiil, you’re no longer bein’ held back by the man.” Tree Hugger said, moving from her spot at the helms’ wheel to help the ponies put on their wetsuits. “Now just slide into the cages the big bull made and watch these sea beasts snap at you for an hour.”

Trixie had wondered just what the steel-lined boxes on the ship were for if not the sharks themselves. But as Iron Will explained, it was the ponies could dive underground and ‘feed their fears’. After all, with the arm-sized extension sticking out at chest level from the shark pens they could do so in relative safety. And with the air tubes, they’d have all the time in the word to see the harmlessness any problem had - with the right preparation.

All for ninety bits an hour. Trixie grumbled as she lifted her own fare from the purple-haired pony’s pocket several meters away with a bit of magic. Spoiled Rich would barely miss it anyways, thought Trixie.

Soon Trixie was left alone in the center of the once densely populated ship, the others sequestered in their safety pens. An offer to go down with the second shift was easy for the seminar ponies to accept. Turning to Tree Hugger as she braced her hands on the ship’s railing, Trixie spoke. “So you’ve all prepared for this that quickly?”

“Yeaaah. Me, I started my first session with Iron WIll just last week.”

“Trixie is quite shocked. This… Iron Will is quite forceful.”

“Yeah. Though, I mainly just waddled in a pool for an hour while he watched. But c’mon, Trix, how much more dangerous could this be?”

The magician was less shocked. The splash of water into her face when Tree Hugger leaped overboard, however, brought that feeling back. Blowing the briny water out her nostrils, Trixie barely noticed the cages being slid into the walls by Iron Will. One by one, circling webs of metal and plastic slid off the boats back bay into the drink. Iron Will had to lift a couple, to make sure that the four limb-long metal tubes at the edges of the cages didn’t catch on the end of the boat.

But no matter how much his muscles strained, or how much beads of sweat gathered on his hide, that odd grace never left him. Each cage was lowered with precision Nurse Redheart would envy, their downward trip into the water almost symmetrical. Only one of the cages was left - the one holding Minuette and another unicorn with thick glasses Trixie thought she recognized from Canterlot. Moon Prancer, was it?

Which was the reason she gave herself for why she caught the cage with her horn’s magic grip when Iron Will’s feet slipped on the wooden floor. Trixie tried to focus on anything but the possibility of her magic fizzling out on her this time. Like the raspberry-on-purple mane of that pony cowering with Minuette. It was drawn into a bun, but even now, it reminded Trixie of a reverse of that amateur’s mane. That bookworm with the starbursts stamped on her hips, who’d make her look a fool in Ponyville.

Shame prickled against her cheeks again. So did her mind’s Great and Powerful rejoinder.

Then the grinding sound of steel on copper rail rang out as Iron Will’s cloven feet found a grip at last. Trixie was shocked back to reality; Iron had control again. Trixie swiftly brought her purple hat down over her eyes as her horn’s light dimmed. She closed herself off to everything again; the pain spiking in her skull, the impotence of not even being able to lift the cage instead of keeping it aloft. She was even somewhat deaf to the ‘Thank yous’ the two ponies in the cage gave her.

Such self-isolation had served Trixie well in her first magic shows, before her success got her mind as inflated as her ego - healthily so! her mind scolded. It kept Snips and Snails from hanging on to her in case her boasts were called out, futile as that effort proved in Ponyville. At several instances in the Pie Rock farm after, it’d even saved her from the monotony of mineral mining. Now it was her paper-thin barrier, as the last splash echoed from the side of the ship.

“Well, Minuette and Moon Dancer are in the drink! Now Iron Will has some time to think!” Pulling off his sailor's cap and fanning it across his face, Iron Will stumbled back to Trixie's position.

“Trixie will leave you to them.”

“Of course, Iron Wil has only two words to give you for your actions before.” Trixie morosely gilded herself. She knew this massive minotaur wouldn’t let her weasel out of the chum-chucking go unanswered. No one ever gave Trixie a break. Even on her work break.

“...Iron Will thanks you.”

Up went the hat’s brim, and Trixie’s eyes betrayed her shock. Her father Jack Pot and Cloudy were the only ponies before to so quickly to thank Trixie for hard work. Only Jack Pot had ever been so fast in delivery. “T-Trixie is not sure she heard right. You’re thanking her?”

“You and your horn quickly took command, and two ponies are safer by your hand!” Iron thumped his barrel-like chest. “Why wouldn’t Iron Will commend such teat-sticular fortitude!? Plus it helps Iron Will tag these terrors faster.”

Trixie remembered the lost 'ring' on Iron Will's forehead. Seems it wasn't a ring after all, she thought.

Turning to a cooler at the section leading to the front half of the ship - and the two upper cabins above - Iron Will brought out two cans of Carrot Cola.” In fact, you'll get to share a toast with Iron Will himself! Bring it in, Trixie!”

NO!” Trixie almost screeched. That Iron Will didn’t even flinch only made the pit in Trixie’s heart double in size. “I-I mean, Trixie does not need sugar to keep her upright,” she whispered.

“Hmm. More electrolytes for Iron Will, then!” Braking both daps with one hand, Iron Will raised both cans over his maw and squeezed. Two shots of orange brew exploded into his mouth, several streams staining the titanic gold ring speaking his nose. Shaking the rest of the cola off of his muzzle, Iron Will sighed. “If you’re not taking a drink, maybe you’ll take questions. Iron WIll wants to know what drew you here.”

Trixie stared back at him. “What makes you think I’m here for any compelling reason?”

“Iron Will admires your tenacity and hat! But neither hide the look in your eyes.”

“R-ridiculous! Trixie has no such look.”

Iron Will looked from side to side. “Fine. Iron Will demands your attention.” Then his expression settled into neutral. “Spur, get up here!”

A brown pegasus filly with a yellow collar popped up from the cabins underneath the ship’s stairwell. “Yeah, Mr. Will?” she chirped.

“You remember why your parents called you into this for?”

“Because I’d been playing hooky from Miss Cheerilee’s class so many tim-”

“And remember what you told Iron Will when Iron Will said you weren’t going in an observin’ cage today?”

Spur’s eyes shrank slightly, rippling as she spoke. Trixie thought it looked like two trembling blue flames, caught between going red-hot and flickering out. “B-but you said you wouldn't tell anypony else!” Spur said.

“Iron Will knows what was said. Now answer the question, Spur!”

“I-I mean, I do, but…” Spur’s head dipped to stare at the floor. The blue nest of curly teal tubes that made up her mane bobbed to the boat’s sway. “I can’t, Mr. Will!”

“No, Spur. You won’t.” Iron turned to face the filly, barely up to his scuba-tight covered knee. “But Iron Will sees your assertions have improved. Your parents’ll be proud today. And they’ll be prouder if you head to the bow and watch the other’s progress.”

“You mean…?”

A nod by the minotaur brought back Spur’s smile “Go make sure our seminar stays strong!”

Spur saluted, her head back up. Her large eyes were brimming with tears for a far happier reason now. “Y-you got it, Mr. Will!”

Then he turned back to Trixie. This time, the glint from the water hit just right, framing his blue face in crazy diamonds of soft white. He almost looked reverent.

Trixie was suddenly reminded of the pony that got her into show business; her father, Jack Pot. He’d done all the same motions of seeming indifference, followed by praise when she’d tackled the trouble. Sometimes it was the misfiring cannon, sometimes the last loop of chain in the water vats, other times it was the focus on the right pick-a-card.

But each time, his remainder came after Trixe exhausted all other options. “Remember, Trix, mistakes don’t become failures until you fail to miss takes to fix them!”

And finally, he’d told her Trixie’s tell, that she -

“Wait!” Trixie said in present time, that lesson about visual giveaways flashing in her mind. She and Iron Will spoke the next words at the same time.

“Her eyes gave her away!”

Iron Will proudly grinned at Trixie. “Quick study, too! That’s how Iron Will knew you were lyin’ in shark season ‘bout not bein’ here for a good reason.”

“So what if Trixie kept her sleeves trick-full? It’s not like you can possibly comprehend what-”

“Do you know why Iron Will had that look in Iron Will’s eye when he had his hand in those guts?”

Trixie gasped.

“There’s nopony here, Iron Will knows the look; consider those the only reasons you’re hearin’ this. Is Iron Will allowed to continue?”

Trixie said nothing. But if Iron Will’s feelings and hers were the same, then… “Enlighten Trixie.”

“Before, the minotaurs in the town Iron Will lived in weren’t as… welcoming as you think. They were big, burly, ready for combat from birth. Turns out though, there’s more to life than combat. More ot a heart than anger. We spread ourselves too far, like the bat ponies nearly did. Place Iron Will ended up was Sandy Shoals. It was where Iron Will Spotted the first shark outside the Badlands. Naturally, the Badlands had… different ways of handling marine life. ”

“What happened?” asked Trixie. Normally, she wouldn’t have bothered, but the gruff tone of Iron WIll - and the third adjustment of his tie for the third time in a minute - hinted the tale was less happy than he thought.

“Iron Will was young, but still foolish. Less bulky, but still brash. It was near a seal, but the seal was on shore. The seal was like so many Iron Will saw in that long childhood and career Iron Will had. But this time, it was a hooded seal. Large red sack under the chin and all! Take a look at it when ya can, Trixie - like a balloon! Preferably not around Iron Will, because that red set Young Iron Will off!”

Even the loudness went out of Iron Will’s voice as he drummed his fingers on the railing. “Nearly ended up feedin’ that seal it to him, before two ponies stopped Iron Will. Took Iron Will a while to know, even though it was a shark’s food source - sides’ other sharks - that ponies took a dim view to seeing chum made in frontta them.” Iron Will let out a mighty sigh, his nose ring fluttering over his maw. “Then Iron Will saw a seapony come in, and…”

Trixie knew of how seaponies used to handle sharks. Predators or not, it was barbaric, and thank goodness for Novo scuttling that hunting practice. “Goodness, how old were you...?”

“‘Bout as high-up as you were when you tried to stand up to that bad mother-buckin’ bear umbra.” Iron Will plodded on, despite the look of shock and horror on Trixie’s face. “Now that was a good way to spend a childhood! But being a main attraction - the main attraction - means discipline had to come with the deltoids! That fortitude had to follow the flex!”

This was quite invigorating to Trixie, in a way that the Belladonna book could never be. Trixie drew a finger of her own across the railing as she pondered her next words.

“Hmph! Well, Trixie never saw that much interest in another’s diet!” Perhaps Trixie is not so perplexed at your success after all- whoa!” Trixie leaped back in surprise as one of the bolts in the ship - broken and sharp - nearly hit underneath the frog of her hoof.


“Gwa ha ha! Maybe Iron Will can help your fear of those dinky nails next!”

“Trixie does not have a fear, it is-!”

“It is only for the best, Iron WIll had the book in to Stop Harping on the Sharp!”

“Ahem, Iron-.”

“That only has a book insurance policy, of course! Iron Will learned plenty from that spry yellow sprite of a pegasus in Ponyville, as a-”

Trixie vaguely called up a name. Fluttershy? How could that be, that cowardly pegasus would be running from her own shadow if the sun flickered enough! Certainly, Trixie would never be tripped up by such a timid pony. “Trixie is far different

“Oh, definitely. Which is why Iron Will is willing to give you the book free-“

“Trixie doesn’t need a diet, Maud!” Immediately, Trixie’s hands clashed over her lips at her slip of the tongue. But it was too late, Iron Will’s manure-eating grin had given way to pure confusion.

“Iron Will will need you to repeat yourself. Because Iron Will does not look like Maud.” But he had heard of Maud. Several notes of her poetry had been thoughtfully imposed into Iron Will’s work, in fact. It’d been the first time Iron Will went into the red for into, but rocks were strong and Maud’s wordsmithery around them was stronger.

Though Trixie could guess which Pie could have drawn the motivational minotaur’s attention (coughLimestonecough!) Even if embarrassing, Iron Will looked ready to break into another tangent, and she had to talk of her own time. Before Iron WIll found a way to make Trixie lose her nerve. “W-wait, Will.”

“Have been for several seconds, Trixie.”

That was why Trixie was talking about her stupid past. Really. Not that Iron’s meat-shredding pecs tensed every time Trixie opened up. “M-Maud is the one who helped Trixie out on that.”

“Really? Iron Will would like to know what could have spurred that.”

“It… it was an engaging encounter. Trixie shall have you picture it; three months ago, Pie Family Farm. Trixie needs to find her own way, and deigns to give this bumpkin bridges her attention. The power of my boundless magnetism drove Maud to bring beans and for Trixie’s consumption! She found Trixie in a cave, with one of her hooves in trouble. Trixie then had to make a quick escape, not before her dazzling of Maud made her impart her-”

“Trixie?”

“What is it now, Iron WIll?”

“Trixie is doing that thing that Iron Will does when he got paid to train Zephyr Wheeze. Yes, Wheeze, not Breeze; Iron Will knew what Iron Will said.”

Trixie couldn’t suppress a guffaw at that time. She'd heard of Zephyr’s record-setting treatment in Cloudsdale for the most number of sprained muscles in one day, but had never known why. Iron Will was behind that? It nearly made Trixie bust a bra strap while laughing so hard.

As the laughter died down, Iron Will got back on track. “Iron WIll knows Trixie is exaggerating. Part of being a life coach; knowing when a pony feels encroached!” Will didn’t even go for a pose-off before pointing a finger at Trixie. “What really happened at that farm?”

With Iron WIll’s own confession still on her mind, Trixie relented. “Okay,... Trixie admits that Maud did not show as much enthusiasm for finding Trixie as she was, though. And Trixie may have been a bit… unable to properly make that reaction come on account of excess exsanguinati-”

“What is exanguiwhoobity-whatty, Trixie! That a new dance craze or something?”

“Well, what Trixie means is that her pool of something was around Trixie!”

“A pool now, Trixie? The-”

“-okay, Trixie nearly bled out from a hoof injury! That was the issue!” Nearly blubbering, Trixie was soon approached with a packet of tissues from Iron Will. Again touched by the gesture - and how it was still dry - plagued Trixie’s despairing mind. Seriously though, how is this dry when every spot of Will is either drenched in sweat or seawater?

Despite this, Trixie knew her real motive. She’d spilled something this important to her, and all she’d thought of was Iron Will’s seal incident when she said it! Trixie knew herself too well to lie. Damn it, her mind scolded her. Even after you swore Maud to search for help on that diet, you still have to bring it out to one-up! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

“Blood loss from a nail that puny? At that rate, Iron Will only knows of one condition that would only cause it-” Iron Will’s jaw went slack at his epiphany. “Goodness, Trixie, how long was that?”

“For two months. Slacking shows for Trixie meant her old habits of candy-chewing came full force. Minuette took me aside to tell of Trixie’s close-call to contracting… diabetes.” Trixie hun her head hung in shame. “This was not Trixie’s finest hour. Also, it was why the Pie family allowed Trixie to work above ground.”

And so she’d taken this break to go to the beach. But if Iron Will was looking to laugh at that state Trixie was in - embarrassed, near-powerless, and averse to sugar - he never showed it. His formerly napkin-holding palm softly gripped Trixie’s shoulder, massaging the muscles there.

And then he spoke, “Iron Will fully understands.”

But why is he? Trixie’s mind despaired, bowled over again by four words from Iron Will. Surely, Iron had to know Trixie had more than enough skill to not need anything from him!

(Even if your mind couldn’t even focus enough to get past page16 of the book you were reading.)

And yet… here he was. Not emotionlessly relaying Trixie’s medical state to her, as Canterlot General's doctors did. Not fussing over her like some wounded pet, as Maud and Cloudy had. So Trixie took another step, even as she dabbed at her cheeks with the napkin. Even here, Trixie hated waiting for her moment to come to her. “T-then Trixie thanks you.”

“Alright then. Iron WIll did not know this when he brought you the Carrot Cola.

“Trixie could probably have told earlier.”

“Trixie didn’t need to.” Iron Will said. “Again, the eyes never lie. And Iron Will knows the importance of a good health program. How do you think Iron Will got packed enough to lift that seal all those years ago?”
“.That’s… that’s what started you bulking up?” Trixie asked.

“Hah! Breathing is what made Iron Will bulk up!” Fiddling with his tie again, Iron Will’s boisterous voice dropped again. “But that time was what made Iron Will try something new in self-care, which soon became everypony-care. Aggression had its benefits, but most of that is just a simple mind game! Without discipline, strength is nothing but a new way to drive others away!”

“Trixie would not be surprised if you had a weight machine down in this boat right now.”

“Iron Will would never use those lower rooms! Mainly due to him not fitting in the bathroom. There are two bunks in it, but Iron WIll’s crib was bigger than both of them put together.” Iron Will’s drew up to his full height. “But Iron Will notes you are not trembling in fear at seals or the sea beast that make ‘em meals!”

Shrugging off Iron WIll’s hand - Trixie had forgotten it was there, it felt like such a natural part of her - Trixie walked back to the chum tray. “So, is there anything else the Great and Powerful Trixie can do while she is here?”

“Iron Will noticed you screamed at the sight of a shark.”

“Yes, and…?”

“First impressions, Trixie! Obviously, the full experience of seeing Iron Will hold one high above made you wonder if you could one day too!”

Trixie supposed that was a better excuse for her fear than anything she could cook up. “Perhaps.”

“Well, then - Iron Will has an idea now! One that won’t keep you long on a hazardous ship - or the sharks’ hazardous teeth. We’re gonna see you get past these doubts today, or Iron Will’s name isn’t Iron Will!”

“In what way, exactly?” Trixie asked.

The ship was soon rocked as Iron Will ran to the front edge and hauled up a canoe-like boat.

With a glass bottom.

Trixie had seen enough Shark Scuba promotions at Trottingham to know what was next. In fact, it was what she’d dined on shrimp cocktails to avoid. “Wait, Trixie reconsiders! Trixie resconsid-”


“Alright, Trixie! Keep going! I showed you to paddle, don’t let those sharks get you to rattle!”

Thank Celestia for small favors, Trixie thought inwardly. Of course, that favor was slowly fading as she heaved her soars through the waters of Horseshoe Bay. Behind them, she could still see the pony scuba cages blow, the ponies using enchanted air bubbles and oxygen tubes to marvel at the marine life around them. Already two of those cages were up. However, Trixie’s attention was caught by more pressing matters in the water.

Like the five sharks circling her own boat!

Trixie’s memories of the Ursa Minor came calling again, when her mind wasn’t busy what-if’ing itself into fits. What if this boat tips over! What if another leaps over and attacks?

(Even if your horn’s power is barely enough to move an empty desk.)

For some reason though, the minotaur’s shouts rang louder in Trixie’s mind. For some reason, his appreciative support was allowing Trixie to continue paddling around the bay. Everywhere around her, life frolicked and drifted near her. And Trixie, a mare used to accepting wildly cheering crowds - though they’d become jeers as of late - was becoming used to the sound of silence.

Quiet recognition is nice, Trixie supposes. Her mind was still scared, but it locked away the fear. How could Iron Will evoke this in Trixie? And why was it so easy for that voice to work her into boats?

Briefly, Trixie wondered if iron Will was part Siren.

The rocking ship underneath Trixie’s rump reminded her, again of Belladonna. That romance novel was cheesy, but Trixie had to admit, seeing a magician become an action hero was amazing. Sleight of hand and traditional magic in a land with tangible magic had always been laughed at. Considered the work of tricksters and swindlers. And after a long while, Trixie’s rep had fallen into disrepair.

Like her body.

But here, among these sleek sea creatures, Trixie felt - well, not whole. But something close to content. Iron Will was right; most of their acts from before were because of the food. These ones before her only bumped against the boat for brief seconds before scurrying away. They were sleek, but their actions showed… some recognition.

“There you go, Trixie! Now paddle back! Iron Will is bringing up the others, now!”

Trixie brought the glass-bottomed dinghy back. The coral passing by under that glass pane, purple and glittering, made Trixie remember her mane. Her showpony way. Her… true Great and Powerful nature. WIth her horn’s short bursts of energy, Trixie’s boat flew through the water. Seeing Iron Will bring in the others in their scuba cages reminded her of her own magic tricks involving them. And among all these once-though fearsome sharks, Trixie had risen above.

“Trixie will be there, Iron Will!” And for once, her abbreviated afterthoughts didn’t follow her this time. They were lost at sea, as consumed as the chum by the sea beasts below.

Meter by meter, Trixie’s oar strokes finally brought her on the side of Iron Will’s larger ship. The power of that wonderful minotaur as he hitched up the boat made Trixie sigh. So did the wonderful report back from Minuette and Moon Dancer as their cage was brought onto the ship. It almost felt like it was Trixie’s job well done, selfish as it felt!

Then Iron Will settled the crown on Trixie's head - “For showing a turnaround time I once had in my prime!” - and Tirxie’s ego finally pieced back together. The clapping of the crowd around her made her giddy and glorious. She’d won again! She finally kept a crowd for her feat!

And it finally let her relax on this beach, even as the crowd left to towel off. All except her and Iron Will.

“Trixie… wow,” she asked, turning to Iron Will. “That sight was quite amazing.”

“It should be; this is Iron Will’s first one-day seminar!” Iron WiIl responded. “But this town’s mayor was already overjoyed!”

Trixie’s heart thumped again over Will’s boundless courage. Of course, he was well regarded. A being of brilliance like them deserved to be regarded! Rewarded! Revered!

And suddenly, Trixie’s mind whirred. She remembered a certain alicorn-made item in a store as she’d bought that Belladonna book from in Ponyville. But maybe Trixie had put down bits on the wrong item that day. Maybe that sappy action novel about Belladonna wasn’t her true escape. Maybe she needed inspiration from… a real-life titan.

“Trixie thanks you again. For everything.”

Iron Will huffed as he brought up another cage to the side of the boat. “See -eeeugh!- Trixie?” he grunted. “Those sharks may have been intimidating before but you know they’re more scared of you than you are of them!”

Trixie still wasn’t sure that she could lift such a beast above her head as Iron Will had. But so powerful a predator, still in fear of those above? Trixie could understand that feeling. A different blue beast had made sure of that.

Again, Trixie’s mind flashed back to that Ursa Minor’s lamplight eyes. But now, they felt like spotlights. Let that Ursa Minor star. All the more lit a stage forth the Great and Powerful Trixie.

“Trixie wants to return to Ponyville.”

Iron Will doubled back at that. “Well, I’d say you came in late and wrapped up early! It speaks to a real focused mind!”

Trixie gulped, saliva feeling suffocating in her throat. But the statement she’d made was no less true for her strain. She had finally realized just what she needed to get past her deep blue funk.

It wasn’t a vacation, no matter how much this one had brought her.

It wasn’t action novels, no matter how much she liked Belladonna as a role model.

And it wasn’t toiling away at the farm of one of the Elements that had made a foal of her.

“...Iron Will only regrets not leaving a bigger impact in Ponyville.”

Oh. Trixie had been so lost in her re-born motives that she’d barely taken into account Iron Will. “Wait…” she said. “ You still have unfinished business in that town, too?”

“Of course! Knowing that a future legend from Canterlot was in that town, and Iron Will didn’t even know!” Will shook his head. “If only there was a way to bring the impact of this seminar to her.”

Trixie, after a short while, smiled. Unlike her plastic ones to the other beachgoers earlier, though, this one was wide with wicked delight. Oh, how Trixie loved just how inspiring Iron Will was.

Trixie was almost… giddy, with this knowledge. Knowing that it wasn’t just her that Twilight and her friends had defied. Denied. Drove out. It gave her more to strive for, more to… act upon. “Don’t worry. Twilight will know that type of impact soon.”

Iron Will’s ship slowly started making its way to shore, the school of sharks dispersing as Tree Hugger expertly manned the wheel again. Trixie’s eyes, however, were only on her towel and blanket, thankfully undisturbed. She had some packing to do again. this time. And she’d have to leave the wagon at the farm for now.

After all, she didn’t want Ponyville to see her coming on this revival of the Great and Powerful.

Author's Note:

Thanks to RDT and Jinzou for pre-reading/editing.

Comments ( 2 )

Yay! Mah description! :rainbowlaugh:

10386658

It got in, that's true!

Login or register to comment