• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,386 Views, 4,620 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,620
 20,386

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43

Tracy did not expect visitors while waiting for the doctors to begrudgingly release him. This was another world, after all, one in which he had even fewer ties than Earth itself. But despite more than half a year of time in Equestria, it seemed there was still plenty for him to learn.

First it was several representatives of the flight school, including the safety crew that ostensibly should've been keeping him safe. He wasn't quite sure what to make of their feedback. "That was the best worst flying I've ever seen." But a few of them brought snacks and that made up for anything they said.

Besides, they were visiting to apologize. His instructor, Giselle, even reiterated what Rose had told him, that the school would give him personal instruction until he was flying on his own.

A saner bat would've turned them away, he was sure. Nothing could teach him that he didn't belong in the sky quite as potently as getting electrocuted so much it earned him a nickname. He'd even got a few paragraph article on the third page of the Canterlot Today, which he'd saved copies of. If Shane ever wrote back to him from wherever he'd gone to do community service, Tracy would send him that.

The occasional visitor was the only brief moment of activity in what quickly became the most supernally boring hospital stay he had ever experienced. No phone, no internet, not even a television. Apparently the hospital had a library, but his stay was so short that no one had bothered asking if he wanted to read anything.

I'd take that dumb flying manual over staring out the window all day. Not that the city wasn't interesting to look at. Canterlot seemed like a lovely place to live, with its ancient architecture and ponies walking and flying together. He'd happily spend days exploring the city, so long as Rose was along for the ride.

Boredom and pain were only mild improvements from his anxiety over Apex. Rose hadn't come back, which he assumed meant things had gone well and he would be getting Monday off. But without knowing that for sure, he couldn't help but thinking back to Discord's face in the courtroom, waiting patiently for Tracy to violate the terms of his lease.

A sharp knock at his door startled Tracy from his worried daydreams. He sat up, then jerked painfully in his restraints at what he saw in the doorway.

As though summoned by his thoughts, Discord strode in, with an oversized "get well soon" card in one arm, and a gigantic box of snacks in the other. Tracy's mouth began to water at the smell alone, before he noticed the little bug symbols on the top, and he settled defiantly back into his bed. "Of all the places I thought you would go, I didn't imagine I'd find you here, 'Spark Gap.'"

"That's not my name," Tracy muttered. If Discord had come to torture Tracy into doing something dumb, he'd have an easier time of it today. Between the pain and the medication, he wasn't exactly feeling restraint.

Discord gestured at the table of minor offerings visitors had left, and they exploded in a shower of confetti, making room for his own positively gigantic card. The whole hospital seemed to shake as he settled it down, with the image pointed directly at Tracy.

It depicted the crash itself in cartoonish detail, with an illustrated Tracy smashing into an electrical main. Lightning arched down his body, physically lighting up the card every few seconds. The illustrated bat's eyes opened with realistic pain each and every time.

"Technically, not yet." He set the box of snacks just in front of the card, opening it and nudging it towards the bed. Just close enough that Tracy could reach it with his good leg. "But I'm not here to pressure you. I just came to offer some needed support for someone using my Worldgate and living in my house. Even if I know I had nothing to do with your accident, I still feel responsible."

He leered at Tracy across the bed, folding his mismatched limbs. "How are you feeling, anyway? Recovering from your accident?"

Tracy nodded curtly, mind reeling. Is Discord saying that he's somehow responsible for what happened to me? Could he really make me crash like that? It hadn't felt like anyone else was in control, but granted Tracy's memory of the flight had been muddied considerably. It was all still in there somewhere, just blurry. He had hit his head.

"Are you responsible?" Tracy asked. Probably more direct than he should be with a capricious demon. But those were some intense painkillers. "Did you somehow make me crash?"

Discord's smile widened. He turned slightly to one side, addressing the window more than he was Tracy himself. "I don't know what would make you ask such a thing. Here I am visiting as a friend in your time of need, and you throw around accusations. I was only saying that I'm the one who brought you to Equestria. Ultimately that makes me feel as though I had a hand in what happened. Crossing between universes is a dangerous profession. Anyone brave enough to attempt it must be aware of the risks. And... accept personal liability for any injuries up to and including broken bones, loss of animation impetus, and transfiguration into potentially horrific shapes. So please understand that while I feel responsible, your consent ensured I am in no way legally responsible for your misfortune."

"This has something to do with... the other princess, the day one. What are you doing with her that her younger sister didn't like?"

That got his attention. He spun around so fast Tracy swore he heard bones snapping. "To use a human expression, I suggest you 'stay in your lane.' All I will say about my arrangements with the Diarch is that it involves no harm to you or your floral companion. Any suffering you experience is entirely self-inflicted. Mortal creatures are more than capable of creating their own chaos. My involvement would be redundant."

He turned to leave. Tracy probably should have just let him go. Once he suggested it, Tracy couldn't get the thought from his head. Discord was involved somehow. Even if all his fears about Discord somehow causing the accident were wrong, he was toying with his life.

"My lease is up in three months, right?"

Discord didn't turn, but he did stop in the doorway. Just outside, Tracy's usual nurse cowered in fear, huddled against the wall. An orderly emerged from a nearby room, levitating several trays in front of him—and he dropped them, bolting right back into the closet.

Are they crazy for overreacting, or am I for not fearing enough?

"Approximately, yes." Discord spoke with a forced casualness, but Tracy felt as though there was far more just out of reach. What are you hiding? "Why do you ask?"

"When it's up, what happens? Can I renew, are you gonna raise the rate... what? The lease just said it would involve later negotiation."

"Indeed." Discord spun back around, snapping the door closed behind him. Probably to the relief of the ponies outside. "I'm afraid the unit is only available for the terms you signed. The building and its associated Worldgate are a temporary installation. When your lease ends, you'll need to make other housing arrangements. How you make those arrangements is none of my business."

And just like that, he was out the door, which now hung awkwardly from one of its hinges.

"Sorry about that, Spark Gap," said Nurse Royalheart, arriving a few minutes later with a meal he didn't want and an expression of barely suppressed terror. "None of our patients should have to deal with something so... horrifying. I'm sorry there was no way to send him away sooner."

You really are terrified. But aside from his behavior in the courtroom, Discord hadn't seemed warranting that kind of fear. Mostly he seemed to treat the world like a joke at their expense.

He shrugged. "Well, we're all still alive. When's my discharge time again, Royalheart?"

"Seven," she repeated, eyes narrowing. "You really should consider taking Doctor Waler's advice and staying another few days. Even with a wheelchair and your cast, there's a danger of complications. A small-town clinic can't do as much for you as a hospital like ours."

"I'll take my chances." At least people will call me by my real name. But he had a hard time feeling upset about it. These people were well-meaning enough, and it did apparently match his cutie mark. I wonder if I have a special talent after all. Does surviving electrocution count?

The last few hours waiting for Rose were by far the worst. The nurse had swapped him over to his take-home painkiller prescription then, which he still guessed from the bottle would make him fail a drug test. At least there weren't any other frightening visits to his hospital room before it was time to check out. Some part of him couldn't help imagining Celestia herself making an appearance, perhaps to counter what Discord had done.

But no—either Discord was telling the truth about their involvement in his life, or the princess had too much class. Probably the latter.

Tracy had never used a wheelchair before. The principle seemed simple enough, except for one obvious flaw: he didn't have hands. Despite his fears, it wasn't a wheelchair he ended up in. When it was nearly time to leave, Royalheart walked him down to physical therapy, where he was fitted for a standing restraint of sorts.

Once his foreleg cast was secured against his chest by aid of a strap, that shoulder rested against a rubber and metal harness, with a rugged wheel at his hoof height.

"Get a feel for it," Royalheart said, once it was tight on his chest. "It throws off the rhythm while walking. Don't even try to trot—stick with walking, it's the simplest."

I still don't exactly know the difference, so that might be tricky. There were differences, and his body somehow knew how to switch between them when he sped up or slowed down. But purposefully using one rhythm over others would not be easy.

Even a well-made wheel jerked and slid occasionally as he tried to walk, meaning he had to take his steps slowly and put more weight on his undamaged right foreleg. Not having my drafting hand is not going to make work very happy with me.

"How long did you say I had to keep this thing on again?" he asked, glaring down at the cast.

"We'll have you in and fitted for a smaller cast in two weeks," Royalheart answered. "You'll be able to walk in that one, but you'll have to keep it on for another two weeks to a month, depending on how well the healing potion worked for you. Different patients respond differently—that's why it's critically important you make your return appointment."

"I will," he promised. "Oh, that reminds me. I need my supervising doctor to sign something before I check out. My work will want proof that I was here, and..."

I'm royally screwed if they try to look up a doctor who doesn't exist.

"Certainly. We'll get that taken care of, and then you can follow me down to check-out. You already have a pony waiting for you."

"Really?" The rest of the process might've taken almost an hour—more boring review of his medication, and steps for what he could and couldn't do in the restraints. Then, at long last, they led him to a lobby where Roseluck waited in a corner seat.

She looked up as he emerged, beaming across the room at him. He smiled stupidly back. Probably he should be feeling embarrassed—he must look completely absurd. But he was getting out, so it didn't matter.

"Fly a little straighter next time, Spark Gap," Royalheart said, by way of farewell. "See you in two weeks."

Author's Note:

The excellent gif in this chapter was done by viwrastupr . I didn't even notice it was animated at first, but dang is it impressive.

PreviousChapters Next