• Published 29th Jan 2020
  • 748 Views, 9 Comments

Banjo Shaped Scrapbook - Banjo64



Because one writer's scraps can inspire another's magnum opus.

  • ...
1
 9
 748

The Bar at the Edge of the Multiverse

Princess Twilight groaned as she made her way into her castle’s basement.

“What is wrong with these ponies? Why is it so hard to understand the difference between harmony and stagnancy? They’re polar opposites!” she angrily exclaimed.

“Well, to be fair I sort of made the same mistake myself, so…” mumbled a nervous Starlight Glimmer.

Twilight sighed and turned toward her student.

“Yes, but you decided to listen to me when I explained why it was wrong. I have told these same poneis the same exact thing time after time, and they still claim I’m doing things wrong!” Twilight exclaimed before she paused to take a deep breath.

“Oh, forget it. We’re heading down here to relax, not work ourselves up. We’ll worry about it later,” she declared.

“So… how exactly are we going to relax in the basement? Do we have a hot tub down here or something?” asked Starlight.

Twilight smiled.

“You’ll see. After what happened with Chrysalis, I think you’ve earned the right to know about this,” was all she said.

When they reached the lowest level of the castle, Twilight stopped before a large red door covering in marking that Starlight had never seen before. They appeared to be magical in nature, but not from any magic text Starlight knew.

“That’s weird. Is this some kind of long lost language? And if it is, what’s it doing in the castle’s basement?” asked Starlight.

“Yes and no. The language is ancient, but it’s far from lost. It’s just that there’s nopony in Equestria who uses it. And it’s in the basement because I put it here. I used to have a similar door in the basement of my old library,” explained Twilight.

“I see. So if it’s the kind of door that’s worth moving, then this door is some kind of portal then, right?” asked Starlight.

“Quick on the upkeep as always, I see. Yes, this door is a portal. A portal to a special place I consider myself very fortunate to have discovered,” said Twilight.

Starlight raised an eyebrow.

“Look, just follow me and I promise it’ll be worth it. A little mind blowing perhaps, but worth it,” said Twilight as she opened the door.

Inside was a translucent white surface that showed a decent sized hallway with a large set of doors at the other end. Without a word, Twilight walked through, crossing through the barrier as if it were water. After a moment’s hesitation, Starlight followed her.

Once through, Starlight found herself in said hallway and noticed a faint noise. It sounded like a large crowd was on the other side of the doors.

“Now, I’m sure this will come as a shock, but just follow my lead and you’ll get answers,” said Twilight as she made her way to the doors.

As she reached them, however, one of the doors opened on it’s own, letting in a loud noise. Starlight noted that it sounded like a crowded tavern, but her trail of thought was interrupted when somepony walk through the door.

That somepony was a second Twilight Sparkle. Or, at least a stallion who looked a great deal like Twilight Sparkle. Starlight’s mind froze up at the sight. Twilight herself seemed to recognize him.

“Evening, Dusk Shine. Leaving early tonight?” asked Twilight.

“Hey, Twi-6. Yeah. I’ve got a big day ahead of me tomorrow, so I figured I shouldn’t party too hard tonight. Oh? Is that Starlight with you?” asked Dusk Shine as he closed the door behind him.

“Yep. This is her first time here, so I imagine she’s trying to comprehend why I’m talking with a stallion version of myself,” answered Twilight with a giggle.

“I see. Well, welcome to the BEM, Starlight. Hope to see you around later,” said Dusk before he walked past them. Starlight noticed that he even had the same cutie mark as Twilight. As Dusk crossed the portal, he seemed to vanish into thin air.

“What just… who was… Twi-6, what?!” stuttered Starlight.

“Oh, that’s just my nickname at the BEM. I need some way to identify myself apart from all the other Twilights, you know?” answered Twilight.

“Other Twilights?! Where the buck are we?!” exclaimed Starlight.

“The BEM. The Bar at the Edge of the Multiverse,” answered Twilight as she pushed the door open.

On the other side was indeed a bar. A massive bar full of familiar, yet new faces. As she looked around Starlight could see multiple Twilight Sparkles, Pinkie Pies, Princesses, and even several different versions of herself! And it wasn’t just ponies either.

“Is… is that Rarity as a diamond dog?” asked a gobstopped Starlight.

“Oh! I didn’t realize Raridog was here tonight. I’ll have to stop by and say hello later. Come on now, Starlight, let’s not stand here and block the door,” said Twilight, or rather, Twi-6 as she made her way inside.

Starlight followed, though her mind was still reeling. The more she saw, the more impossible this place seemed to become. There was a green cybernetic pony hoof-wrestling with a filly Princess Celestia. There was a straight maned Pinkie Pie drawing in a sketchbook while a weird bipedal creature with rainbow hair posed for her. There was even what looked like a living puffball sharing a taco with…

“Chrysalis?!” cried Starlight, though with her mind as it was, it barely came out as a whisper.

“Not our Chrysalis. And this particular Chrysalis is… well, not really friendly but definitely willing to play nice. Not every version of everypony is evil in the multiverse, Starlight,” said Twi-6 with a wave of her hoof.

Starlight wasn’t convinced, but she didn’t resist as Twi-6 dragged her away from the Changeling Queen who was now giving her a funny look.

Finally, they reached the bar.

“Here we are. Take a seat, Starlight,” said Twi-6 as she hopped onto an open stool.

Still feeling rather confused, Starlight took the stool next to Twi-6. A moment later, the bartender, a massive pink alicorn stallion with a dark purple mane, came up to them.

“Evening, Twi-6. The usual?” he asked.

“Yes please. And an apple cider for my friend here. Non-alcoholic, if you don’t mind,” said Twi-6.

“You sure about that? The poor thing looks like she could use a stiff drink,” said the bartender with a chuckle.

“Trust me. Just give her a minute to put it all together and she’ll be fine,” said Twi-6.

With a roll of his eyes, the bartender wiped out a pair of mugs and slid them over. Starlight glanced into hers and noticed that it was full to the brim with hot apple cider even though she hadn’t seen the bartender fill it up. When she glanced at Twi-6’s mug however, she noticed that liquid inside hers was glowing bright blue.

“You know, if you brought your student here, we’re going to have to get you a new nickname,” said the bartender.

Twi-6 rolled her eyes.

“Very funny. We didn’t change our nicknames when the CMC started coming, or the Princesses, or everypony else. Anyway, to our drinks,” said Twi-6 as she took her mug and sipped.

Utterly overwhelmed, Starlight took her mug and took a sip herself. It was certainly tasty, but she found herself wishing the bartender really had provided her with something alcoholic to help with her headache. Somepony further down called for the bartender, and without a word he turned to serve the next patron.

Several minutes passed, with both ponies slowly sipping their drinks. After a while, Starlight started to regain her wits.

“So, have you figured out exactly what this place is yet, Starlight?” asked Twi-6.

Starlight turned toward her teacher, and took a deep breath to collect her thoughts.

“Well… judging from the name and everything I’ve seen so far, I guess this place is… some kind of sanctuary that stretches to parallel universes or something?” Starlight answered hesitantly.

“Exactly. The BEM is a place where ponies, and non-ponies, from across time and space and come together to get away from the stresses of their own planes of existence. Some come here because it’s the only safe place they can turn to. Others come here just because the drinks here are literally out of this world. And some, like me, come here because of the opportunities this place offers,” said Twi-6.

“Opportunities?” asked Starlight.

“Look around you Starlight. Nearly everypony here is from another dimension. Can you even imagine just how much there is to learn here? Even if not for learning, everypony here has a story to tell. Stories that can expand one’s horizons and really think about what it means to live. And at the very least, it a great place to hear about others who have it much, much worse than you do,” said Twi-6 with a shrug.

Starlight sipped her drink in thought.

“I guess. Though I have to ask, why is your nickname Twi-6? I get why you’d need to have a nickname here with so many versions of you around, but why that?” asked Starlight.

“Our dimension is near baseline. The only thing that makes me unique from any other Twilight Sparkle is that ours was the first baseline dimension where all six of the element bearers became regulars at the BEM. hence, I am the Twilight of the Six, or Twi-6 for short,” explained Twi-6.

“Baseline?” asked Starlight.

“Just a term for what could be considered a ‘normal’ version of Equestria. Don’t think about it too much, or it’ll hurt your head. As I was saying, even though a lot more ponies from our dimension have started visiting as well, we’re all know as denizens of the Six-verse, and all of us have similar nicknames,” said Twi-6.

“So… Then our Pinkie Pie would be Pink-6, Fluttershy would be Flutter-6, and so on for the others, right?” asked Starlight.

“Exactly. This also makes you Star-6. I suggest you start using the nickname right away. Wouldn’t want you to get confused for some other Starlight if we split up,” said Twi-6.

Noticing another Starlight a few stools down from them that was a perfect mirror image of herself, the newly dubbed Star-6 nodded in agreement.

“So… what now? Do we just sit here and drink until it’s time to go home?” asked Star-6.

“Well, first thing first, you’ll want to read the bar rules. After that, well, it’s up to you. I’m joining the Sparkle Session after I’m done with my drink, and you're a grown mare who can take care of yourself. Feel free to sit and drink, get up and socialize, or just head back to the portal and go home. Just one word of advice: don’t assume anything about anypony. In a place like this, first impressions tend to be rather useless,” said Twi-6.

“I see… wait, what’s the Sparkle Session?” asked Star-6.

Twi-6 pointed towards a table in the back where a dozen or so Twilight Sparkles were sitting together over a large pile of books.

“Right. I get the idea. So… where exactly can I find those rules?” asked Star-6.

Twi-6 pointed again, this time to a large list on one of the back walls.


Rule #1: The Bar at the Edge of the Multiverse is a haven for everyone across time and space. This means everyone, regardless of species, age, or any other factor. The bartender, however, reserves the right to ban anyone from the bar for any reason. Therefore, NEVER MAKE THE BARTENDER ANGRY.

Rule #2: The bar’s purpose is to serve as a sanctuary, not as a home or a doorway to other worlds. ALL PATRONS MUST RETURN TO THEIR OWN DIMENSIONS. Extended stays can be arranged, but only on a case by case basis and for a limited time. Also, if you wish to visit another plane of existence, you must do so through through some other method of crossing the dimensional divide.

Rule #3: There is no rule against villainous beings visiting the bar. That said, ALL PATRONS ARE EXPECTED TO DEMONSTRATE CIVIL BEHAVIOR. This means no attacking other patrons, enslaving other patron, or anything else of that nature. However, this also means that other heroic patrons may not attack villains for the sole reason of being a villain. This leads into rule #4.

Rule #4: FIGHTING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. If whatever reason patrons feel the need to ‘step outside,’ please take your argument downstairs. We have a enchanted fighting arena down there where you can settle your differences as aggressively as you see fit. Details can be found downstairs.

Rule #5: There will no consequences for strong language, but keep in mind that this is because a censorship spell is in effect. Only those who know the vulgar word you are saying will be able to hear it. However, the spell is not perfect, so be mindful of our more innocent patrons and try not to push it too hard. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BYPASS THE CENSORSHIP SPELL.

Rule #6: ALL DRINKS ARE FREE. However, bear in mind that the bartender can only brew drinks from ingredients he possesses. if your drink of choice is made using ingredients unique to your dimension, the bartender will require you to bring your own brewing supplies. Please speak to the bartender about what he has available before doing so.

Rule #6.5: NO ALCOHOL IS TO BE GIVEN TO UNDERAGE PATRONS. Non-alcoholic options are available. I can’t believe I had to add this rule, you stupid ~v~^~v~^~v~^~v~^~v~^

Star-6 noted that she couldn’t read the rest of the rule, as the words seemed to blur and move on the paper. Also, rule 6.5 had been taped on. She figured there must be a story behind this, but the nature of the rule itself convinced her that it’d be best not to ask.

Rule #7: MIND BASED MAGIC, IN ALL FORMS, IS FORBIDDEN. The bartender is the sole exception, and may grant permission in certain circumstances.

Rule #8: Information may be freely traded among patrons. This includes spells, though keep in mind that magic may function differently in different dimensions. However, MATERIAL ITEMS MAY NOT BE TRADED AMONG PATRONS AND TAKEN HOME. This is primarily to prevent weapon smuggling, but other items are forbidden as well. Exceptions may be granted, but only in extreme circumstances. *This rule is enforced by the portal. Don’t worry about sharing things in the bar itself.*

Rule #9: SOCIAL EVENTS ARE PERMITTED, BUT MUST BE APPROVED IN ADVANCE. See the nearby bulletin board for full listings.

Rule #10: GAMES ARE AVAILABLE. We have many card decks, both conventional and collector card, as well as several board games and several Role-playing books. The books may be rented, but everything else must stay in the bar. Be mindful that there will be severe consequences for losing or damaging the books.

Rule #11: Above all else, BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. When there’s this many individuals from this many walks of life, it’s inevitable that sooner or later you’re going to run into someone whose opinions sharply disagree with yours. Please remember rules #3 and #4, and remember to practice love and tolerance.

Rule #12: ~v~^~v~^~v~^~v~^~v~^

“Uh… what is this?” asked Star-6.

“You mean rule twelve? It’s censored. You saw the rule about the censor spell, right? Our dimension’s never had to deal with anything like whatever rule twelve is about, so the two of us are literally incapable of understanding what it means,” said Twi-6.

“So... don’t worry about it and hope it never comes up?” asked Star-6.

“Exactly,” Twi-6 with a nod.

There were also a massive amount of smaller rules beneath the main ones, though they were a bit too specific for anypony to bother learning all of them and they were enchanted to draw one’s eyes to the relevant ones.

Case in point, Star-6 noticed a rule explaining to Starlights that cutie mark stealing was forbidden without express permission, and had to be reversed before the target left the bar. While the sheer number of rules made her less than eager to read outside the rules that pertained to her, she did glance through a few out of curiosity.

Twilights were forbidden from experimenting with the entry portal, Pinkie Pies were forbidden from throwing surprise parties (though normal parties were permitted), and Celestias were forbidden from bringing samples of ‘that’ potion into the bar.

“Why do I get the feeling I don’t want to know about that one,” mumbled Star-6.

“Anyway, that’s about it. I know this is still really overwhelming, but the best way to get used to it is to get out there and become a part of it. Any questions before I set you loose?” asked Twi-6.

“Just one: what the hay were you drinking earlier?” asked Star-6.

Twi-6 smiled and shook her head.

“You wouldn't believe me if I told you. Ask the bartender for a Soul Shot if you really want to know,” she answered before she turned and left.

“Soul Shot?!” Star-6 asked in disbelief and horror.

“It doesn’t have actual souls in it, if that’s what you’re thinking,” said a crystal pony on a nearby table.

Star-6 jumped in surprise.

“Er… right. Thanks,” said Star-6 as relief filled her.

“Sure thing, Starshine,” said the pony before turning back to what looked like a card game of some kind.

With a sigh, Star-6 made her way back to the bar stand. She had a lot to learn, but getting a proper drink first seemed like a good idea.


After enjoying a second (and more alcoholic) cider, Star-6 was content to simply pony watch for a while. And really, there was so much to see that she didn’t even know what to do with herself.

She quickly noted that the bar was a lot bigger than it seemed. There were only two visible floors, but every time she tried to focus on the walls they seemed to glide away from her.

“It’s enchanted that way to give the place a more homely feel instead of being too open-ended,” explained the bartender.

Star-6 gave a small jump before she turned toward the alicorn.

“It’s usually the first thing ponies notice once their heads stop spinning. It’s not just the walls, though. Everything from the front door to the chairs are enchanted so that’s there’s always room for more ponies to join. It’s also why the place always seems crowded, but not packed to point it’s hard to find a seat,” he provided.

“Right. That’s good to know,” said Star-6 as she turned back to the crowd.

It was a great deal like looking into a funhouse mirror. Yes, there were a large number of ponies she didn’t recognize, but there were far more she did, if only by name. Assuming they even had the same name as her friends. Star-6 tried to put the sheer number aside and focus a select few, but she felt rather like a child at a candy store.

There was a cloaked version of Applejack showing off a pair of swords to a pirate Rainbow Dash, though the latter seemed to be trying to get a rise out of the former. There was a seemingly normal version of Lyra Heartstrings serving drinks to a duo of changeling Twilight Sparkles as the two compared notes. There was what looked like Fluttershy fused with a minotaur petting the mane of a pony version of herself that had unusually fluffy ears and…

“Pretty overwhelming, huh? Been there, done that,” came an unnaturally familiar voice next to Star-6.

Turning to see the newcomer, Star-6 came face to face with some sort of clothed bipedal creature with her own mane sitting next to her.

“Oh. Hello… er… I guess me as a… whatever you are?” said Star-6.

The other Starlight rolled her eyes.

“Human. I’m a human. We’re fairly commonplace around the BEM, so I suggest you keep the word in mind,” said human Starlight.

“I see. So… what’s your nickname?” asked Star-6.

“Human Star. I was the first human Starlight to arrive, so I got the easy name. How about you?” asked Human Star.

“Star-6. I came here with Twi-6,” answered Star-6.

“Ah. Another one from the Six-verse, eh? Well, you’ll sure to end up a regular here then. Something about your place always makes ponies want to stick around,” said Human Star.

“Really? Is our dimension well known or something?” asked Star-6.

“Sort of. There’s nothing special about your dimension itself, but nearly everyone at the BEM knows at least one pony from the Six-verse. You guys do have one of the largest number of visitors from any one plane of existence,” said Human Star.

“Huh. Well, I hope you’re not expecting anything from me. I mean, I’m you and all, so… um… gah, this is so confusing even when I know what’s going on,” groaned Star-6.

“You get used to it. And no one's expecting anything from you other than following the rules. And yeah, talking with another version of yourself can be kind of awkward, but that’s part of what makes the BEM so interesting. Tell you what, why don’t I give you a quick run down of the place? Give you more than just a list of rules to work with?” suggested Human Star.

Star-6 thought about it for a moment, then nodded.

“Yeah, I think I’d appreciate that,” she said.

“OK, first thing first, you see those shadowy tables over there?” said Human Star as she pointed.

S-6 turned to see that was indeed a section of tables that were in fairly poor lighting. The ponies and other sorts sitting at these tables seemed… unfriendly. Especially that one straight maned Pinkie Pie wearing a rather disturbing looking dress.

“That’s the Dark Corner. If someone’s sitting there, it’s because they’re a bad guy looking to hang out with other bad guys. Now, they won’t try anything because of the rules, but it’s never a good thing to be surrounded by their twisted kind. It’s also the only place in the BEM you’ll want to actively avoid, though there are some other places I’d be weary of as well,” said Human Star.

Suddenly, the creepy Pinkie Pie turned towards them. Starlight shivered a bit. Even across the bar, that Pinkie’s gaze felt unnaturally cold.

“For example, over there’s the Loser’s Club. No really, that’s what they call themselves. It’s where the poor souls from really, really messed up dimensions find companionship in their shared misery. You can usually get some good stories from that area, but make sure you're ready to have your heart torn out and your stomach emptied if you pay them a visit,” said Human Star.

They certainly seemed like a sorry lot. Star-6 noted that there were a lot more empty mugs at their tables than anywhere else in the BEM.

“And if you go around that corner, you’ll find the stairs down into the arena. There’s always someone fighting down there for one reason or another, be it petty bar arguments or just a friendly spar. It can get kind of exciting if you’re in the mood to watch some action, but be careful. The censorship spell’s weaker down there, and while it’s impossible for anyone to die here, it can get really messy, really quickly,” said Human Star.

Having gotten into a few fights herself, Star-6 was intrigued, though also concerned. She had a good idea what her human self exactly meant by messy, and she wasn’t sure she wanted to see that.

“There’s also the Sugar Bowl in the back which I recommend you never visit, but I’ll understand if you head over anyway. It’s just usually so depressing to see proof that some versions of Equestria have literally no problems whatsoever. Those guys don’t even know what hunger means, their homes are so perfectly perfect,” said Human Star.

Star-6 looked down at her drink. She suddenly wanted something a bit stronger.

“I see… is there anywhere you’d recommend I actually go?” asked Star-6.

“Don’t worry. There’s far more of those then places you should avoid. Most of the bar is just tables of beings from across the multiverse sitting down with a drink and talking anyway,” said Human Star with a wave of her hand.

Star-6 let out a sigh of relief.

“That said, if you're looking for something a bit more exciting, there's plenty to choose from. Twi-6 is probably already at the Sparkle Session. Despite the name, anyone in the mood for some multiversal science and research is welcome. I’ve paid them a visit myself a few times, and I’ve always left feeling a little wiser, and a little humbled by how smart Twilight Sparkle can be,” said Human Star.

“Just can be, not always is?” asked Star-6 with a raised eyebrow.

“Rule number three of the multiverse, alternate version of myself: there are always exceptions to everything,” said Human Star with a giggle.

Star-6 tried to imagine a version of Twilight that wasn’t a magical prodigy, and all she could come up with was Twilight wearing a dunce hat while her eyes made Derpy’s look coordinated. The idea seemed so paradoxical that she started giggling herself.

“Next, there’s the card tables over there. While game nights are on Saturday, there’s always someone in the mood for a poker tournament,” said Human Star.

“I’m not much of a card shark, to be honest,” said Star-6.

“Neither am I, but card games do tend to make for easy introductions and story swapping. And if poker isn’t your thing, you can probably find a Pinkie Pie up for a round of Candyland. Or if you're looking for something with a bit more depth, then find a table where there’s an RPG going on. And don’t say you don’t know what that means. I know you got into O&O as a kid because I did too,” said Human Star with a roll of her eyes.

Star-6 sighed. It’d been years since she’d played a round. Still, it probably wouldn’t hurt to play again for nostalgia's sake if nothing else.

“Wait, what was that about a game night?” asked Star-6.

“Oh, right. Before you do anything else I’d recommend you look at The Board. Anytime someone is planning some big event at the BEM, you’ll find the details there. It’s always a good idea to know what’s around the corner so you can keep your calendar clear,” said Human Star.

“Really? Anything exciting coming up?” asked Star-6.

“Well, there’s a bunch of Trixies planning a magic show in two days. They tend to be pretty good, if a little flashy at times,” said Human Star.

Star-6 made a mental note to make the time.

“Anyway, another good place to hang out is the Drinking Corner. As the name suggests, it’s where you go when you don’t have anywhere to be for the evening, and you don’t mind getting a little buzzed. I can guarantee you’ll find at least one drinking game you’ll want to join if you head over there,” said Human Star.

Star-6 was tempted to head over there right that moment, but decided to wait until Human Star was done before trying to bury her confused mind into a drunken haze.

“And finally, there’s the big guy himself, the Bartender. He’ll be one of your best friends here. Well, as long as you don’t cause any trouble that is. The guy has a knack for mixing up exactly the drink you need when you need it, and is more than happy to hear you spill your guts out if you need an ear,” said Human Star.

Star-6 turned to look back at the alicorn, who was serving drinks to a grown-up Scootaloo and a robot Octavia.

“It’s weird. I think I recognize him as somepony I’ve seen in passing, but I can’t put my hoof on it,” Star-6 mumbled to herself.

“Well, he kinda is. He’s an alternate version of Berry Punch,” said Human Star with a shrug.

Star-6 would have spat out her drink if she’d siped any at that moment.

“Berry?! But… but he’s a stallion and… well, I guess I did run into a stallion Twilight on my way in,” mumbled Star-6.

“Exactly. He also comes from a universe where alicorns are somewhat more commonplace, but also far, far more powerful than baseline. We’re talking practically godhood here, and the BEM is far from the only multiverse spanning center they’re involved in,” said Human Star.

“You’re kidding me…” said a wide-eyed Star-6.

“Nope. In fact, he can point you towards another establishment if you can convince him it’s vital that you get there. Don’t count on it happening though. Especially considering your world’s near baseline and has little reason the explore the wider multiverse,” said Human Star with a shake of her head.

Star-6 could only stare into space at the thought of just how… small she now felt.

“One meta-thoughts fix, on the house as always,” said the Bartender.

Star-6 jumped when she realized the Bartender was right next to them. A moment later, he passed her a drink that glowed a soft golden color.

“I’d drink that slowly if I were you. This stuff can kick really hard if drunk too quickly,” said the Bartender as he moved on.

Star-6 just looked at the glowing fluid in front of her.

“And I’d recommend you actually drink it,” said Human Star with a smirk.

With a resigned sigh, Star-6 sipped her drink. Almost immediately, her headache seemed to fade a bit.

“There you go. Now, I’ve got some friends to catch up with, so one last tip before I head out: don’t be afraid to ask. Everyone here has a story to tell, and most of us are more than eager to share it. Just make sure that who you're asking doesn’t look like he or she’s ready to tear your legs off, and you’ll be fine,” said Human Star as she stood up.

“Right. Thanks for everything,” said Star-6.

“No problem. Always happy to help another Starlight,” said Human Star as she turned and walked away.

Star-6 continued to slowly sip her new drink, which continued to make the whole place seem less daunting.

That didn’t stop her from making her way to the Drinking Corner once she’d finished it. She was going to need a lot more alcohol before she was ready.

Author's Note:

Ah, the mega-crossover. So awesome, so ambitious... so easy to get wrong. I thought I'd be able to avoid many of the traps that doom such projects by keeping the focus grounded and small. No epic battle for all of existence, no struggle to get everyone home, just a bunch of characters from different stories coming together to have a drink.

And before anyone says anything, yes, I am aware of Wanderer D's little Isekai. But according to my time stamps, I wrote this shortly after the season 6 finale, so no, I did not steal the idea. So if you're reading this, Wanderer D, you can stop hacking into my google docs account. Besides, you hardly need my crappy writing to inspire your awesome stories. (I kid. Please don't think I'm trying to steal your spotlight)

As why this one was scraped, well... it wasn't due to a lack of inspiration or running out of ideas. I mean, there's over 5K of set up here. I really wanted this to work. But when the time came for me to start writing actual scenarios I found myself at an impasse. I didn't want to write other people's characters without their permission... but...

well...

I was too shy to even try asking.

...

So... this is where it stopped. Never finished. And I still don't have to guts to ask for other people's characters. And now that there's other, better, multiverse bars out there... well, it seems like I need not bother.

Sigh...

Anyways, that's all my scraps for now. I might have more later, but what I do have I still think i can make proper stories out of. Some day. Hopefully.

Comments ( 1 )

There was a straight maned Pinkie Pie drawing in a sketchbook while a weird bipedal creature with rainbow hair posed for her.

Ooh, Ink Blot! Always nice to see an Ultimare Universe reference.

I have to wonder how Sunsets, sirens, and other dimensional expatriates interact with Rule #2. Is "your own dimension" defined as the one you came in from or the one you were born in?

Star-6 tried to imagine a version of Twilight that wasn’t a magical prodigy, and all she could come up with was Twilight wearing a dunce hat while her eyes made Derpy’s look coordinated. The idea seemed so paradoxical that she started giggling herself.

Meanwhile, a Ditzy Doo in the Sparkle Session felt inexplicably offended.

I know you got into O&O as a kid because I did too,

"What happened to Rule Three of the multiverse/"
"You'd look way off baseline if that weren't true."

Especially considering your world’s near baseline and has little reason the explore the wider multiverse,

:rainbowhuh: Who needs a reason?

I am sad that you never gave this a shot. I'd certainly say yes. I know GMBlackjack would be happy to incorporate this into the golden age of Merodi Universalis. If nothing else, you could explore some of your other abandoned ideas this way. Maybe consider dusting it off.

Login or register to comment