• Published 29th Jan 2020
  • 738 Views, 9 Comments

Banjo Shaped Scrapbook - Banjo64



Because one writer's scraps can inspire another's magnum opus.

  • ...
1
 9
 738

Tales of First Contact: Fusion World

“Spike! Spike. Where are you?” asked Twilight as she barged into her room in Canterlot.

Spike sighed and put down his tablet. He could already tell this was going to be one of those days.

“What is it, Twilight? Did you try disassembling the fridge again?” asked Spike.

“No, and this is far more important than that! I need you to help me find _____,” said Twilight.

Spike rolled his eyes as Twilight started pulling books off the shelf. He turned back towards his tablet, opened his library mapping app, and searched for the book.

“Try the top shelf of the northwest wall, twelfth book from the right,” said Spike.

Twilight turned toward her assistance with a frown.

“You know, you really shouldn’t be so dependent on that thing. We have a sorting system for a reason, you know,” she chided.

“Oh, sorry, I just figured the urgency of whatever you’re looking for would be more important than your technophobia for once,” replied Spike with a shrug.

Twilight groaned.

“I do not have technophobia! I just prefer doing things the old fashioned way,” she objected.

“Uh huh… and the fact that you still refuse to use so much as a calculator, let alone the tablet the Princess got you on your birthday, is just because you want to be traditional, right?” asked Spike.

Twilight chose not to dignify that with an answer, and just pull down the book Spike had suggested.

“Alright, it says here…”

“That on the thousandth year Nightmare Moon will return, and tonight just so happens to be that year,” said Spike as he read his tablet.

Twilight looked at him in confusion.

“Wait, how did you know that?” she asked.

“It’s all over the internet, Twilight. Half of Equestria’s been stockpiling food, and the other half’s packing to go to Earth until this whole mess blows over. And in case you didn’t look it up, and I bet you didn’t, the Human Military is moving into position to help us. Really Twilight, you need to start using your tablet,” said Spike.

“Ugh… just get out a pen so we can write a letter to the Princess,” Twilight grumbled.

“Already sent her a text, and she’s already sent her reply,” said Spike.

“Spike! The Princess taught you how to that message spell for a reason!” cried Twilight.

“Yeah, so that we can still reach her if the internet goes down, or if it’s something super secret. I still have full bars, and I don’t see how something that everypony except for you already knows about can be considered secret,” explained Spike.

“That thing is taking over your life, Spike,” mumbled Twilight.

“You’re not helping your technophobia case, Twilight,” said Spike.


“... next on the list is a pony name Applejack. Must be part of the apple family, though considering we’re going to Sweet Apple Acres, this should have been obvious,” said Spike.

“The Apple family? What’s so special about them?” asked Twilight.

Spike gave Twilight a deadpan expression.

“Because they’re the largest family to have both pony and human members, and their business was one of the first to stretch across both worlds. And I know for a fact that they’re mentioned in the history books about first contact, so your usual excuse of not using the internet doesn’t hold up,” explained Spike.

“I can't remember every little detail of every book I read, Spike,” said Twilight.

“The Apple family isn’t exactly a little detail,” countered Spike.


“...her!” said Spike as he pointed.

There was a human with unusual purple hair whose hands were glowing with magic energy.

“No, no, oh goodness no!” she exclaimed as she levitated fabric.

Twilight glanced back at Spike, who had hearts in his eyes.

“First Martha Moondancer, and now this. You have a thing for human catalyses, don’t you Spike?” asked Twilight with a giggle.

Spike didn’t even notice.

Author's Note:

As the chapter title suggests, this was going to be part of my Tales of First Contact series, but after a few scenes I realized that this was nothing but a unending gag about Twilight being reluctant to use modern technology, which makes no sense in a world were humans and ponies have been in contact with each other for centuries.

That, and this was basically going to be a re-run of episode one with half the cast being human. I think it was Twilight, Pinkie, and Rainbow Dash as ponies, while Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity would be humans or catalyses. I also think it was Apple Bloom as a pony, Scootaloo as a human, and Sweetie Belle as a catalyst.

Speaking of which, The catalyses thing was just my in-universe explanation for humans that have magic. For the life of me, I can't remember where I was going with it. I think it was the result of humans and ponies having children, but I'm not sure. I also can't remember if I was planning to give them pony-like traits or anything like that.