• Published 21st Jun 2019
  • 2,903 Views, 54 Comments

A Butterfly and her Dragon - Writer-0



A filly Fluttershy finds a certain dragon egg the day she earns her Cutie Mark.

  • ...
0
 54
 2,903

Diamonds aren't just for fillies

Taking in the rather small reptile was something of a small event for the household. The Shy's meant to keep it on the down low for as long as possible, but when you have to deal with the regular trials of a newborn, your house would be anything but quiet.

It didn't help either that Spike would burp fire almost every hour on the hour. Fortunately, the hole he created in the house wall made a rather convenient window, so anytime he showed the signs, Fluttershy would take him to it so he could let it out. Great for the house, not so great for the occasional victim.

Nobody really gave them a hard time for their choice to take the dragon in, except for the occasional concerned citizen and Zephyr, who had yet to stop complaining about his burnt mane. Rainbow's parents also initially held some reservation about their daughter hanging out with Spike, though she was able to calm their worries with ease, no matter how sore her hoof still felt. The little dude was now someone important to Fluttershy, so now she would stick by his side as she would by Fluttershy's.

Boy was she regretting that decision right about now.

"Oh come on!" As if trying to bite her hoof off wasn't annoying enough, she now had to worry about losing her tail too. The baby thankfully only bit for a second, but the pain was still enough to cause momentary grief. "Do I look like a buffet to you? I'm candy colored, not candy flavored."

"Sorry Rainbow, he's teething." Fluttershy apologized as she held a small green container with a spoon inside. "Time to eat, little Spikey. Here's something yummy to keep you strong." The baby refused, holding his head high to avoid any contact with his mouth. "Spike, you need to start eating. You'll get sick if all you do is chew on Rainbow.."

"Trust me, I'm already sick of it."

Spike remained defiant, knocking the spoon out of his caretaker's hoof. The consequences were unavoidable after that.
"Now Spike, I've been very, very patient with you." Fluttershy's voice lowered but the volume increased. "I loved taking in that sweet, adorable dragon to my family, and I love you. The least you can do is eat something." Spike eyes were now forced onto Fluttershy's eye's as they were now wide eyed and angry. For a good 20 seconds, the hatchling felt alone and terrified, like every scary thought he could ever conceive was now appearing right before him in some kind of horrible amalgamation of horror. "Otherwise, I wont be happy, and when I'm not happy, then you won't be.."

The dragon practically swallowed the entire spoon before she could finish. It felt icky and slimy, but the less he saw the filly in whatever state this was, the better.

Rainbow herself held her jaw at the scary sight, not sure if this was impressive or terrifying. She wasn't sure if it was the passive or aggressive side of her speech that made her feathers stand on the edge. "Flutt-Fluttershy, what was that?"
"It's something I've been working on ever since I got my cutie mark. I just focus really hard and ask." Fluttershy said with absolutely no trace of the tone she had before.

'Should I be worried about this?'. Fluttershy not being walked over was a nice thing, but that little performance actually made her feel sorry for the dragon. "I'm not going to see that every time I come over, will I?"

"Oh, I certainly hope not. I find it a tad too extreme to use. I just really needed to get him to eat something." Fluttershy let out a long breath, sinking to her stomach before turning on her back. It was here that Rainbow Dash was finally able to get a close look at her friend. Her mane was very unkempt, even more so than her own, and her eyes were a little dark and heavy. "He keeps rejecting everything I give him.

"Whoa, Fluttershy, I know you're the one that brought him here, but shouldn't your parents be taking care of this kind of stuff? You look like you haven't slept in a while."

"Mom and Dad are still getting used to living with a dragon. It's hard enough trying to get them in the same room together." For as supportive as they were, it was hard to appreciate it when her parents were doing it from a distance. "It wouldn't be much of a problem if I knew what he needed to eat, but none of the baby food my parents bought seems to make him happy."

"Aren't there books on this type of thing? I mean, I'm not exactly an egghead, but shouldn't there be some sort of instruction manual on how to train your dragon or something at the library?"

"No, no. I haven't found anything. Ponies are too scared too actually get close enough to study." Being so close to Spike now, that almost felt like a silly superstition. "I didn't think about this long enough. How am I going do this?"

Before Rainbow Dash could offer a comforting wing, the door to Fluttershy's room got busted wide open, and the mild severity of the situation seemed to have gotten sucked out the window and replaced with something much worse.

"HEL-LO EVERY-PON-Y!" Zephyr exclaimed as the older fillies rolled their eyes. The light green colt intruded with a wide smile. Fluttershy had hoped his annoyance at Spike would've discouraged him from coming into her room so often. Obviously, Zephyr was not one to learn his lesson. "Check out my sweet new crown!"

Indeed, Zephyr had something on his head covered in small but shiny jewels, but all Rainbow could do was snicker. "Ah, I'd hate to burst your bubble, except I don't, but that's a tiara."

"Whatever." He said with disbelief. "Don't be hating just because I already have that royal look about me.."

"Yeah, if you're trying to be the Princess of annoying.." Rainbow muttered.

"You say tomato, I say potato."

"That's not even close to being right." Rainbow once again had to roll her eyes at the little brother's denseness. "Nobody cares about your bald spot, so can you take a hint and leave?"

Little did either know that Fluttershy was attempting to sneak past them, with little Spike being dragged along from grabbing onto her tail. For whatever reason, Zephyr would insist on tagging along everywhere whenever Rainbow was around, which baffled her considering all they ended up doing was bicker with each other. As she tried to drown out the pointless argument, Spike's attention was fully on the small ornaments of Zephyr's tiara. The shiny luster called to the baby dragon, making him lick his lips.

"First of all, it's not a bald spot, it's just an unfortunate haircut." Spike finally let go of Fluttershy's tail. "Second, I can't help if the situation demands my presence. You two would be hopelessly bored without me to spice up your life." The baby had curled up its body before forming it into a pouncing position. "Come on Rainbow, it's not like there's anything better for you to do."

Spike sprang into the air as soon as he finished speaking and snatched the tiara from Zephyr's mane, and immediately began chewing it into bits. Zephyr could only stare in silence as he began crying on the inside. "That, that cost me 10 bits. It had real gems and everything." A single tear fell from the ground.

"I don't know, watching this seems be pretty entertaining." Rainbow smugly smiled with pride. "Well, what do you know? Spike has a great sense of humor."

"I don't think that's it." Fluttershy flew closer, inspecting the bent and broken crown. It was beyond repair for sure, but what caught the filly's attention was it's lack of glimmer. It looked like the baby bit around the crown to get the little gems out from it. Lookin back to Spike, a small crunch could be heard from within his chewing mouth. The baby's satisfied smile was all she needed to know. "He just wanted to eat the gems."

"AND HE HAD TO DISTROY MY CROWN FOR THAT?" Zephyr screeched, though Rainbow easily pushed him to the side.

"Okay, that answers that, but what are we going to do now? It's not like we can go to the jewelry store for every meal."

"He can eat other foods, it just looks like gems are his preference." Fluttershy eyes lit up. "Zephyr, you wouldn't happen to have more tiara's?"

"Well, yes, but.." He wasn't even given that chance to finish as Rainbow dashed out of the room and came back with a whole trunk full. "I spent a lot of bits.."

"Put a sock in it. We'll pay you back eventually." Rainbow reached into the chest and flung another tiara to her friend.
"Thank you Rainbow. And thank you Zephyr. Spike really appreciates it."

"Like I care what.." Rainbow shoved him out of the room, leaving nothing but frustrated muffles from behind the door. As satisfying as that was, Fluttershy had to get back on track. Holding the baby food from before in one hoof, she held the tiara in the other, presenting both before the young drake. As she expected, the baby was going for the tiara.

"Now, now, Spike, you can have one gem." Shaking the headwear, she shook it until one of the jewels fell out. She made sure his eyes were glued to the gem as she placed it in the baby food. "You can eat that gem, but you'll have to eat everything else in order to get it."

Annoyed, Spike opened his mouth wide so that another spoonful could enter his mouth. He nearly gaged. It sloshed around his mouth, but their was no gem. "Again." Spike relented, allowing another spoonful in. Still no gem.

That's how it went, again, and again, and again. Mouthful after mouthful, more of the green goop was poured into the drake's mouth. Spike belly filled up rather quickly. As much as the thought of having more of those tasty stones pleased him, he really couldn't take another bite.

Fluttershy smiled as Spike refused to take another bite, even though the gem was right in the middle for him to see. "Good Spike, maybe next time you'll actually eat it."

"You totally made sure to avoid that gem, didn't you?" Rainbow was strangely proud of her friend. "Now that's just cruel."

"Not at all. I just do what I can to take care of what I love." She turned back to the now full dragon, already drifting into slumber. "Okay little one, time for your nap." Grabbing ahold of him, she ducked under her bed and grabbed a single blanket and pillow from underneath. With no fight in him, Spike embraced the soft coziness of his 'bed', sleeping immediately upon contact.

"Why do you have a pillow and blanket under your bed?" Rainbow tilted her head. Definitely not one of the weirdest things she'd been exposed to within the past week, but odd nonetheless.

"Uh, sometimes when it gets a little too stormy, or too dark, or too noisy, I sleep underneath to protect myself. That's not too weird, right?"

"It's more normal than living with a baby dragon, so there's that. I mean, it's not like you live under there." Rainbow took a glance under the bed. She found herself dumbfounded. "Why is there a lamp stand under here? And how did you fit in an entire bookshelf?"

"I'm afraid of the dark. I don't spend a lot of nights sleeping, so there was plenty of time."

Comments ( 30 )

Do you think you could do me a favor and link to the stories that inspired this one?

9787215
should be there now

"It's more normal than living with a baby dragon, so there's that. I mean, it's not like you live under there." Rainbow took a glance under the bed. She found herself dumbfounded. "Why is there a lamp stand under here? And how did you fit in an entire bookshelf?"

It's Pinkie Pie. Don't- Wait, no it's not Pinkie Pie. It's Fluttershy. How did you do that?

9787292
I was new to the site, so I didn't know how the line breaks worked. I'll eventually go back to fix it.

Okay, after reading all 3 chapters, I have decided..... I'll stick around

Love the story but, the other three stories that this is related to ( at least I think it's supposed to be related to them?) have spike pretty much the same age as the one he is raised with. Why make this one different?

Also there is one were he is hatched and raised by celestia and it is really good aside from the fact that it sounds like it's supposed to be an anime but at least it's not like the ones that have unnecessary actions and reactions and other unnecessary things like others do and please don't ask what I mean by that cause it would be difficult to explain. Just sucks that it is most likely not going to be continued.

Also will rainbowdash develop feelings for spike sometime in the next few chapters?

Hope so cause even though others may disagree they go pretty good together.

9787895

Well, I am trying to be a little different from other 'spike growing up with other mane 6' stories, and it kind of bothered me that the main factor for spike to be in the story is that he's born sooner. Idk, its kind of a pet peeve of mine.
And I also really love younger brother older sister dynamics, and I have more experience writing that kind of relationship.
I'm not too sure when it comes to shipping. I have a few ponies in mind, but nothing's cemented.

That last part with Fluttershy was just cute!:yay: Good job!:moustache:

OH MY GOD IT EXISTS!!!

9773368
you knew about this story and didn't tell me? I feel betrayed.

plz more
ps im up at 4 15 am y am I still up oooooooOOOOoooo spacaly zipping thangs
…. I thank I shuld go to sleep now

Inspired by My Dragon Brother

Well I'm glad my unfinished story apparently inspired someone else to make (and hopefully finish) their story! I'll keep an eye on this for now, though I'll have to read it later when I'm not swamped by real life stuff.

9787890

have Spike the same age as the one he is raised with

9788916
With how much I've learned about writing over the years, I approve of making him the younger brother to Shy. Same age dynamics are actually quite boring to write, mostly because they tend to end up liking the same things and having mostly the same personality, as people write them.

9843473
I can't argue with that

9787890
Could you give me the name of that story with Celestia

9876721
It's (A shell, a spell, and....wait, what the)

Awe I'm sure Zephyr will warm up to the little guy over time and I like the friendly annoyance relationship Spike has with Rainbow. Over time the two could be good friends and Fluttershy as a mama works out perfectly.

10696878
the person who wrote this hasn't been online since Sep 17th, 2020. They might not be coming back

10736187
Yeah I know. Just trying. Some other fanfiction sites I've commented on have seen some comebacks though. Can't hurt to try.

10736193
maybe one day. but we have no idea what day that might be

9787239
so, you coming back to finish this?

11155156
It's been almost 2 years since they last logged in, my hope has died.

I love this

lays flowers
Well, we had a fun run with this story.

Will this story ever be continued? I really want this to continue

Login or register to comment