• Published 21st Jun 2019
  • 2,899 Views, 54 Comments

A Butterfly and her Dragon - Writer-0



A filly Fluttershy finds a certain dragon egg the day she earns her Cutie Mark.

  • ...
0
 54
 2,899

Egg

Author's Note:

Heh, so this is my first story ever on this site after reading so much stories. Once again, I'm surprised this story hasn't been done already.


I OWN NOTHING

It was by far the most beautiful and exciting thing in the young pony's life. For the shy little filly, the sight of so many critters around her, wanting to be around her, desiring to be around her, it was practically a completely different world from the one she knew in the clouds. In the sky, it could get windy, cold, and a little lonely, but right here on the ground, she felt warm, secure, and loved.

Not that she was ungrateful for her mommy and daddy. She loved them as much as she could, and they also did their best to raise her well. Although, and it felt a little strange for her to say this, but they were almost more shy and quiet than she was. Not that she was criticizing them for that, she did prefer a more gentle hoof, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to put it down every once in a while.

Her baby brother came to mind when she thought of that. It almost pained her to think negatively about anybody, but she had to admit to herself that Zephyr was quite often very irritable. Maybe that could associated to his younger age, but the foal didn't understand the concept of personal space, or rather, considered everything to be his personal space. Everything was his and nothing was sacred. Every toy, every blanket, every pillow he would take on almost a whim, and he would throw it out once it 'lost its specialness', which was just code for 'I don't know what to do with it anymore'. She really hoped he grew out of it. It would be nice to finally own a hairbrush that didn't have bits of his blonde mane in it.

Then there was her best, if only, friend Rainbow Dash. She was definitely more outgoing then her, as well had a bit brash, a smite bit stubborn, maybe a little too hardheaded, but she always stuck by her. Whenever other foals teased her for being to timid, she was the only one that didn't laugh at her. In fact, she started racing that colt on her behalf, which was what sort of led her to this very moment. Fluttershy hopped she wasn't too much of a burden on her though, always needing to be helped, always scared of what came next.

But now, now she didn't have to be scared. Now, after seeing the most beautiful array of colors she's ever seen flash before her eyes, she had the company of so many animals she could have never encountered on the ground, so many she couldn't even imagine ever having the chance of seeing.

Maybe life wasn't as scary as she made it out to be. Maybe, maybe all she had to do was take the chance and..

POP

Another sound came through the air, scarring off the critters like before. Without the beautiful colors accompanying them, the foal thought she needed to fly off as well. And without the aide of her new critter friends, she didn't feel at all confident about facing whatever scared them away.

Except, no other sounds were made. The air was once again silent, almost too quite, even for her. Her eyes widened at what laid before, what made everything fly and crawl away from her, what she almost was scarred off by.

An egg. It was purple with spots covering it, but other than it's rather huge size, it was just that, and egg. A harmless, lonely egg.

With no immediate danger after her, she slowly made her way towards the object. It didn't have any cracks on it or anything wrong with it from what she could tell. Did some random bird just decided to abandon it's newborn in the woods? Well, at least she assumed it was a bird. She heard reptiles laid eggs somewhere before, and she didn't want the ire of a angry mother crocodile on her back.

She gently tapped on the egg. Nothing, it was quiet, and even felt a bit thicker than she expected. 'It probably still needed some time to hatch.' she thought. "Hello?" She whispered, hopping any animal would've stayed behind if they truly left behind and egg.

There was no reponse. She flew higher to grab some bird's attention. The Blue Jay's said no. The Cardinals said no. The Ravens, the hawks, the eagles, it seemed even with her newfound ability of animal communication, she couldn't find the parents of the egg.

A chilling breeze came from behind, making the filly shiver a little, half from the cold, half from worry. Didn't eggs need warmth to hatch? Would the baby on the inside die if was left unattended? The thought almost made her throw up.
Rushing back down to the eggs side, she felt it. Surprisingly, it was still warm, warmer than she was expecting, but with the day threatening to turn into night, she worried that wouldn't last long. She gently began rubbing the egg all over, keeping the egg's warmth all over. What else could she do? She didn't have a blanket on her, and she definitely wasn't a strong enough flier to carry the egg back to her cloud home. She could go grab something either, afraid something else might come along and take the egg away.

'Don't momma birds sit on their eggs?' She blushed a little at the thought. She doubted even Rainbow Dash wouldn't be able to resist laughing at her for such a silly idea. She looked left, she looked right, and she looked above her head. Nopony was around to laugh at her. An ideal setting for a less than ideal situation.

Gathering as much twigs and sticks as she could, she began making the best nest she could make. She really had to thank the birds in the surrounding area, without them, she wouldn't have been able to build it half as confidently.

Placing the egg on the nest, she put it right in the center before commencing the more embarrassing part of this idea. Afraid to even breathe on it, she lowered her body on the egg, stopping every 5 seconds out of fear of crushing the air. Her yellow fur finally made contact with it as it rested against her belly, making her curl up so she could cover it as best as she could.

She gently petted the egg once more. Nothing came back. Daydreaming back to her early foalhood, she had vague memories of her mother being pregnant with her own baby brother. For hours and hours on end, her mother would lay down on the couch with her father, gently talking to the unborn baby almost everyday until it was born.

She didn't know if it was possible for the baby to here her from the outside, but it sounded like a nice enough thought to give a try. "Ah, hello." She spoke softly, feeling a bit silly for expecting the egg to talk back somehow. "You, you don't know who I am, and, and I'm pretty confused on who you are as well. You haven't responded to anything I've done, so I'm just going to make sure you're well rested enough to hatch."

She really hopped her voice was more of a comfort than a bother for the egg. Unless it was a dud and wouldn't hatch at all. Now that was a scary thought for the filly. This egg needed to hatch, it needed to be free, to be with it's family.
"Of course, I don't know where your family is. I can only assume you somehow gotten separated from your mommy and daddy." Unless the mommy and daddy left it all alone and abandoned it all together.

The more she though about, the more scared she felt for the little one inside. Here, something amazing, something beautiful was about to take place before her very eyes, and yet no one would be here to see it. Nobody to care for it when it looked for it's mother. Nobody to protect it when it sought its father. No family, no friends, the baby would grow up alone.

"No." She said with much more confidence in her voice. "I'm going to make sure you're never alone. I'll be here for when you hatch. I'll be there for whenever you need me." The egg still remined silent, but she smiled, as if she already felt the egg agreeing with her.

"The world can be a frightening place, but it can be less scary when you're with someone who care about you." She though back to her family. No matter how withdrawn she was when around other ponies, she would always have them. This little guy had no one. She was lucky. "I'll, I'll be sure to care for you. I'll care for you when you're young, and I'll care for you when I'm old. I'll make sure of that."

The silence in response felt a little more soothing. The sun was still up, and it's warmth was shinning down on her. She did her best to stay awake, she really did, but the drowsiness won out, shutting her eyes for the nest few hours, cuddling the egg closer to her person, unaware of the small crack beginning to form.

Celestia's sun was quick to leave her comfort, for her taste at least, as a chilly breeze woke her from the slumber. "Are you still okay?" She asked the egg. She still needed to find a way to take care of it full time. Maybe she could find a way to hide it and come back for it.

Now that she thought of it, the bottom of her belly felt the flat surface of the ground, which alerted the filly as she finally saw what happened. Her entire body was in the nest now, with a cracked egg shell split right down the middle.

"No, no I didn't.." This couldn't be right! She was supposed to protect the egg, and now she may have lost the baby, or even worse, smashed it in her sleep. "No, I, I couldn't, I, I wanted to, wanted too.." Her voice disappears the tears began piling on and on. "I just wanted.." She repeated over and over again. She spent the next 5 minutes trying to cry away the pain, only to come out no better for it. She just got her cutie mark! Today was suppose to be the happiest day of her life, and now here she was, alone, terrified, and sad with something pulling at her hair..

Wait.

She was so sucked in to her own guilt that she failed to notice something was tugging ate her mane the moment she woke up. Now that she thought about it, she felt some extra weight had been added to her back as welt. Whatever it was, it was knowing on her hair and had some pretty sharp claws, which rubbed against her just enough to feel the pointy ends of them.

She froze immediately, now too frightened to even think about her previous lingering guilt. One minute. Two minutes. Three minutes passed, and the thing was still on her. Carefully breathing, she slowly pushed herself back up, hoping at the very least whatever it was didn't react too negatively to her movement.

To her relief, the creature, who she could feel was much tinier than she expected it to be, slid off of her like running water down her back, making her duck behind a tree the moment she knew she was free. 'What to do, what to do, what to do!?' Whatever that was, it already had a taste for her? But what was it!? And what did she do wrong!? She'd never bother anypony before.

Unless that was the angry parent of the egg that now wanted bloody revenge for the death of it's unborn. She now had blood of her hooves, and now she had to meet her maker.

'Wait, I can talk to animals now! Maybe I could explain myself?" Longshot? Definitely, but it was either that or be mauled by some vicious beast. With possibly her last deep breath, she closed her eyes, came out from the front of the tree and prepared to face the full fury of some vicious, slobbering beast...

..only to be met with the young eyes of an adorable, drooling baby instead. It was way, way smaller than she was expecting, purple with a trail of green spikes from head to tail. It was completely hairless, covered in smooth scales instead of fur. The more she saw the baby try to crawl, the more the Pegasus found herself drawn to it. She unconsciously started walking forward, kneeling down to look at the creature eye to eye.

"Hello." She cooed, making sure her voice was soft enough for the newborn's ears. This had to be what was inside the egg. The little lizard stayed in once place the entire time, just blinking as he came face to face with the filly, trying to get the best look at her he could. "I'm, I'm Fluttershy. Can, can you understand me?"

The mouth moved but the sounds didn't register in the baby's head. He on turned his head on it's left, then on it's right. Was this was he was? What could he call himself? Seeing the Pegasus in it's kneeling position, the baby used all the strength in it's young muscles to copy it, only to fall flat, making it sniffle in its failure.

"Nononono, don't, don't cry, don't cry." She repeated, scooping the little guy into her hooves and holding it close. "I'm here. You don't have to worry about falling when I'm around." Her wide eyes and gentle smile made the hatchling stop its crying, reaching out and touching her nose, gripping it as tightly as it could.

The filly only chuckled at this, thinking the hatchling was trying to hug her. Willing to comply, she did so, with his head facing backwards as she held him. She patted his back as she tried to make him as comfortable as possible. "There, there, no need to be afraid of anything.

FSSSHHH

Her eyes widened as the back of her felt suddenly warmer. It didn't help that the baby giggled in delight. Afraid to turn around, she faced the tree she hid behind, and saw nothing but black soot in it's place. The birds and squirrels resting in its branches made their anger loud and clear, but it felt deaf on the Pegasus as she looked at the pile of ashes, and then the baby, who smile couldn't have been any bigger.
This baby was a dragon.

Dragon.

Dragon.

Dragon

If she wasn't still in awe of the babies cuteness, she probably would've dropped in and flied right home with enough speed to make a sonic rainboom. Dragons, fearsome, gruesome, horrible creatures that devoured any pony unfortunate enough to get in it's way. The smog they produced made everything dark and scary, their teeth were sharp enough to cut through pony bodies, with claws that were said to be sharper. If you ran into a dragon, it was best to either play dead or be dead.

But that's not what she saw when looking into this little hatchlings eyes. Innocence, cuteness, playful. This described a normal foal, not some savage beast. There was no way she could ever be afraid of something, no, someone like this.
"You're not scary at all, are you? I bet there's not a single bad bone in your body." She proclaimed as it clamped itself to her leg. "You're just a normal baby, aren't you?"

The baby sneezed, showing a steam of green flames from it's mouth.

"..you just happen to be a little different." She rationalized. Aside from the fire, she could get used to this. The warm feeling she got when she was able to comfort little creature, when she was able to comfort this little guy. She could do this for her entire life.

"Fluttershy! Fluttershy!" A raspy voice yelled, making the pink maned filly cover the dragon's ears (at least, where she though the ears were) as a color maned Pegasus stopped in front of her. "Fluttershy, you're here! I couldn't find you after the race and I really needed to tell you about how I w.."

Fluttershy noticed that her friend now had her own Cutie mark as well, a cloud with a rainbow lightning bolt. "Huh, must be a coincidence." She noticed right then her friend had stopped talking, staring at purple creature now occupying her leg.

"Fluttershy, what the heck is that?" She asked with half shock, half astonishment, probably because she didn't expect the normal recluse Pegasus to allow something so strange looking so close to her, let alone touch her like it owned her.

"Oh, ah, I found a big egg earlier, and I think I hatched it." She said with a small hint of pride in her voice. "And I think he thinks I'm his mother."