• Published 24th Feb 2019
  • 793 Views, 11 Comments

The Final Throw of the Dice - Bronyxy



Luna gets an emergency call from her youngest admirer and finds the deposed Queen Chrysalis ready to give herself up. However, treachery is afoot, and she isn’t about to give up without a fight. With Equestria at stake, who will prove the stronger?

  • ...
3
 11
 793

Epilogue

“Luna. Luna” called a gentle voice.
She moved her head slowly and stretched her legs out. One of them wouldn’t move. It also hurt like crazy. Then she remembered.

“Luna. Luna” came the voice again.
She mumbled a reply, but not in any language that anypony could understand. She strained to open her eyes, but only one responded. A blurry vision of white and lilac greeted her.

“Sister …?” she tried to say.
“Oh my dear Luna” said Celestia, her tone full of relief, “We’ve all been so worried …”
“Nightmare Moon …”
“She’s gone” reassured Celestia, “So has Chrysalis. You did a good job, little sister.”
Luna smiled and drifted back to sleep with the help of a sedative.

When she woke again it was night time but Celestia was still there, watching over her.
“Well, hello again Luna” she greeted warmly.
“Sister …?”
“You’ve been out for some time, but you’re going to need your rest.”

“How bad is the injury?” she asked tentatively.
“You’ll be in a chair for a good few months, but doctors believe you should make a full recovery. It was a near thing apparently, and only saved by that timely blood transfusion.”

A silence fell between them.
Outside in the corridor, a trolley clattered along on its way to a patient, and two medical staff could be heard talking in a nearby room.

“If Nightmare Moon had not appeared when she did, the outcome would have been different” admitted Luna.
“An interesting alliance” noted Celestia.
“One borne of necessity and self-preservation rather than altruism, Sister. We would do well to continue distrusting her. I suspect strongly that the link Daybreaker shares with you works in just the same way too.”
“Where did Chrysalis go, by the way?”
“To the dark side of the moon” replied Luna, “A solution better than either of us thought of, unless I am mistaken.”

Celestia moved in closer, gently brushing Luna’s mane from getting into her eyes and gave her a tender kiss.
“I’m so pleased you’re safe Luna” said her sister tenderly, “Thank you for saving Equestria.”

“Can we come in now?” came a shrill voice from the corridor.
Celestia looked enquiringly at Luna, who nodded.
In bounded Pinkie Pie followed by a group of her very closest friends; the Mane Six, Spike, Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer.

As they were all offering their congratulations and get-well-soons, Pinkie plonked a large cake on Luna’s medication table. The cake had two tiers with a midnight blue sugar sculptured alicorn stood proudly on the top.
“I really hope you like it” said Pinkie Pie enthusiastically, “It took a really long time doing your mane and tail in spun sugar. You wouldn’t believe how many attempts it took, but I ate each one that didn’t work out, so nothing was wasted…”

Cake …” commented Celestia, her mouth salivating at the prospect, “What flavour?”
“Top one’s chocolate, bottom one’s fruit cake” replied Pinkie Pie cheerfully, then tilted her head thoughtfully to one side and added “Or was it the other way round?”
“I’m sure there won’t be any left whichever way you’ve done it” said Celestia, licking her lips with anticipation.

Applejack stepped in to ensure there were fair shares for all and Celestia watched hungrily as she sank the knife into the sumptuous delicacies time after time, trying to determine which slice may have been marginally bigger than any other.
Applejack smiled and shook her head gently as she conducted her task, Celestia’s desires being so openly transparent. As she got towards the end, she commented wryly, “Oh, now would you look at that; enough cake for three pieces, and only two more slices needed. I guess a lucky somepony’s gonna get an extra thick slice.”
Much to Celestia’s relief, Applejack passed these two slices to her with a wink, “For you an’ Princess Luna, ah think.”

Celestia took Luna’s treats over to her bedside and put one down within her easy reach.
“You know Luna" reflected Celestia, clearly in a world of her own as she savoured every sweet-tasting bite, "You should save Equestria more often; these cakes are simply delicious.”
"Um, Sister ..." said Luna despairingly, knowing her words to be wasted, "I think that’s my piece of cake you're eating ..."

Comments ( 9 )

This was a very good story. Lolved it.

Cant really find any flaws with this story. Great job.

9475661
* alternative ending * :pinkiehappy:

9475948
Thank you - glad you liked it!

:twilightsmile:

9476889
Thank you. So pleased you enjoyed it!

:twilightsmile:

One of your best I think!

9477338
Thank you :twilightblush:

I love writing about Princess Luna, and pitching her against Queen Chrysalis at her manipulative best gave me an opportunity to explore not just her physical prowess, but her mental resilience too.

Also, I couldn't resist introducing Nightmare Moon in an unexpected cameo role to save the day.

Thanks for your support!

9509831
I think the sound of the cake was all that Luna experienced, seeing as her sister took both portions! :pinkiegasp:
Thanks for your support :twilightsmile:

Very good
a sequel maybeee?1

Login or register to comment