• Published 24th Feb 2019
  • 792 Views, 11 Comments

The Final Throw of the Dice - Bronyxy



Luna gets an emergency call from her youngest admirer and finds the deposed Queen Chrysalis ready to give herself up. However, treachery is afoot, and she isn’t about to give up without a fight. With Equestria at stake, who will prove the stronger?

  • ...
3
 11
 792

3 Crimes and Punishment

Luna elected to fly back rather than share a close space with Chrysalis and flew off to one side of her chariot happy to be surrounded by the company of her own guards. She continued to keep a wary eye out for any more of Chrysalis’ tricks, but with her horn inhibited, her mouth taped and her eyes covered, she was running out of ways to cause trouble.

The lights of Canterlot appeared in front of them, and they began their descent towards the castle where Luna knew her sister to be waiting. Right now she needed to feel herself close to her more than ever; even Sombra hadn’t managed to get into her head the way that Chrysalis had, and she needed reassurance desperately.

The guards peeled to either side allowing the chariot a glide path with a clear view of the landing site on the lawn, next to the castle’s entrance. It continued down in an even descent with Luna and four other guards as close escorts. The charioteers showed their expertise by making a perfect landing, touching down without so much as a bump, right next to where Princess Celestia waited at the door to the castle.

Luna landed immediately next to her sister and despite her need for emotional reassurance, remained formal and detached as Chrysalis was offloaded from the chariot.
“Sister, thank you for despatching my chariot and so many guards. She remains dangerous” she confided, “I hope you have somewhere appropriate for her.”
“I am pleased to see you safe Luna, you have returned with quite a trophy. We haven’t been idle since you contacted me; we have prepared an old dungeon deep underground and applied magical enchantments to prevent the outward transmission of magic.”
“Good. We will all be safer thanks to your diligence.”

“How are you, Luna?“ asked Celestia, looking concerned ”You seem to be a little strained.”
“I shall allow myself the luxury of recounting recent events only once she is safely locked away, dear Sister.”
“Come, we should be present when the Head Jailer closes the door on her. I think it’s the only way you’re going to sleep properly.”
“Amen Sister” sighed Luna heavily, “Let us retrieve our guest and start laying this nightmare to rest.”

The two royal sisters walked over to rejoin the guards who were standing warily around their captive, weapons drawn. As she was a Queen, it should have been customary practice to have extended to her courtesy that befitted her status, but yet their own Princess had determined that she be treated like a dangerous animal, so they took no chances.
She may be royalty” she had warned them, “But so is King Sombra, and you would be foolish to turn your back on him for an instant. Do not be beguiled by her status or give her a chance to mesmerise you with her charisma. She is dangerous; heed my words well.”

The guards parted as the Princesses drew closer, giving them an unobscured view of their captive who stood stock still, strands of straggly mane protruding below the bag on her head swaying lazily in the night breeze.
“I presume she is still under that bag, Luna? Shouldn’t we check just to make sure?”
“That would be a bad idea, Sister” interrupted Luna firmly, “I shall carry her by levitation.”
“It sounds like you’ve already been through enough” observed Celestia, “Let me take her from you.”
“No, Sister. She already has the flavour of me. I do not want you so compromised if the day ever comes when you have to subdue her yourself.”

Celestia took a step back, and raised a forehoof in surprise at her sister’s comments. Whatever had transpired between them had certainly left its scar, but she knew to respect Luna’s judgement and withdrew.
“Come, Luna” she said reassuringly, “It’s the old dungeon at the bottom of the castle. I don’t know if you know it?”
“No Sister, I do not” she replied firing a stream of light blue magic that curled around Chrysalis and lifted her six inches off the ground, “Lead the way, please.”

The Princesses and their captive entered the castle and made their way through its labyrinth of passageways with a pair of guards at the head of the party to ensure the way was clear; all the other guards following along behind, unable to be any further forward due to the narrowness of the corridors.

They pulled up by an old thick-set wooden door that looked like it had seen the centuries pass without being disturbed from its peaceful repose; but suddenly it had become the centre of attention for a dozen guards, in front of whom stood Spell Nexus himself, waiting to greet them.

“Good morning, your Majesties” he said, bowing, “Everything is prepared in accordance with our discussions …”
“The prisoner has ears” stated Luna, “And she is not afraid to use anything she can to her advantage. Please perform whatever functions are necessary and spare us the details until the deed is safely done.”
“Of course, your Majesty” he bowed again, and turned back towards the door, stood up on his hindlegs, then extended his forelegs in a parting motion while brilliant magical energy flashed from his horn. The door pulsated with the light of his magic, a deep throbbing that built up as a series of magical locks unlatched. Once the last lock was undone, there followed an eerie silence and everypony present held their breath. Shortly, they all felt a grinding vibration as the door began to creak itself reluctantly open, inch by tortuous inch.

Luna looked at Celestia and raised an eyebrow as the door neared its fully open position; her sister just giving a simple nod of her head in return. The Head Jailer stood by Spell Nexus who pointed his horn into the dark void and a line of wall sconces sprang to life, each burning with a cold purple flame. The party fell in behind them as they walked along a dank and musty corridor that had clearly led a very lonely existence since the castle had been built.
“This place” announced the Head Jailer, “Was built to harbour the most dangerous prisoners in Equestria.”
“We have not been here before” remarked Luna.
“Neither has anypony else, your Majesty” he replied, “Castle records don’t list this place as ever having had any inmates.”

They carried on down the corridor until it opened out into a room with half a dozen heavily barred cells clearly visible from a desk in the centre of the room.
“This one” directed the Head Jailer, “Over here.”
Luna transported her package into the cell as directed, then warned the others to stand back and be on their guard. They all acknowledged her warning and Celestia lit her horn, ready for trouble.

Luna entered the cell and removed the bag off Chrysalis’ head and saw her eyes to be closed, thanking the stars for small mercies. She was stock still. Had she somehow escaped and left this effigy in her place? Was she on the loose somewhere while they were all down in the dungeon? Would she be able to lock them all in and rampage unopposed throughout Equestria?
Luna’s fears rose exponentially as she leaned in closer, checking for breathing.
She got close, very close, sensing nothing and started to run through how and when Chrysalis could have made a switch.
She moved in so she was an inch away, desperately searching for even the faintest trace of breathing.

A pair of vengeful green eyes snapped open.

Luna jumped back in shock as Chrysalis lunged, ripping the duct tape off her mouth to release a deep and penetrating scream that echoed off the walls and assaulted everypony present from every angle simultaneously.

Startled ponies milled this way and that, primal fight and flight responses competing with each other in a seething melee of bodies as flashes of light ricocheted around the room like an indoor fireworks show. Unicorns who had carefully prepared restraining spells found themselves jostled as they cast their magic towards Chrysalis and their aims had gone rogue. Celestia, who by virtue of her authority had more space around her had not been jostled and had also shot off a spell, one that had delivered with pinpoint accuracy a yellow bubble around Chrysalis, freezing her as she bore down onto where Luna was.

Luna had recovered quickly from her initial shock and rapidly assumed a defensive position from where she was alert and primed to fight. Although surprise had been on her attacker’s side and Chrysalis held the advantage, Celestia knew that Luna’s counter attack would have been swift and final. Now Chrysalis was held magically in mid leap, her large eyes transfixed on Luna, awaiting Celestia’s release. Luna’s heart raced as she held her position, daggers drawn, waiting to plunge them into the renegade Queen. She remained poised for a few seconds to satisfy herself that she was safe, then uncoiled her pent-up tension and extricated herself to stand clear of Chrysalis’ aim.

Two Bat Ponies had been frozen to the spot where the misguided unicorn spells had missed their intended target in the commotion and reflected off the walls, striking them at random. Apologies were quickly and profusely offered as counter spells were cast and the excited hubbub began to die down.

Luna withdrew herself from the cell and locked the door, passing the key to the Head Jailer.
“Thank you, Sister; thine aim was true” she commended calmly, then she turned her attention to everypony else, “Like I said, she has tricks up her sleeve and cannot be trusted. Be aware or she will get the better of you, all of you. In so far as it is prudent for us to keep her here where we can have an eye on her, she is in Canterlot Castle, the seat of Equestria’s government and must not under any circumstance be allowed to slip her bonds for the disorder she could visit upon us all.”

They didn’t need to be told; they had just seen it for themselves.

Celestia sat down for her breakfast with Luna. It had been a very eventful night and she knew that she would be tired before the end of the day. She had already decided that she would be tasking her advisors and junior ministers to handle some of the more mundane aspects of her workload, whilst postponing more important meetings where at all possible. She had bigger problems to handle now, and was grateful to know that she would not be facing them alone; whatever course of action she eventually took would be one agreed with her most trusted confidante, her sister.

Chrysalis presented a problem now that they had accepted responsibility for her by accommodating her within the Royal castle, and whilst her fate was in their hooves, the impact of their forthcoming actions would haunt them until the end of time and needed careful thought. Would they be thought of as too weak if they let her go and she returned with a conquering army, or would they be thought of as tyrannical if they executed her?

“Oh Luna” sighed Celestia over the breakfast table.
Luna had just finished recounting how she had encountered Chrysalis and brought her in, leaving out none of the details of the mind games she had been subjected to. She had retold it in a way that did not seek pity, but was a factual account of events, and was all the more powerful for it.

“Sister, may we speak honestly?” she enquired.
“But of course, Luna.”
“No. I mean complete honesty, even if you think the truth may hurt.”
Celestia blanched before reluctantly nodding her agreement. She could sense where this was going, and she felt uncomfortable waiting to hear what Luna would say next.
“Is what Queen Chrysalis has done as heinous a crime as those committed by Nightmare Moon that had her, me, banished for the good of Equestria? I am too close to the subject to be objective.”

Celestia wanted to cry. She remembered how she wept when she had activated the Elements of Harmony towards her own sister and the split second decision she had taken to banish her to the moon. She couldn’t speak; her mouth suddenly felt very dry and she felt a strong urge to rub something from her eyes, but she fought back the desire and instead poured herself a fresh cup of tea; there was nothing wrong with the one she already had, but she needed a diversion. She picked up the cup between her hooves but the surface of the tea was etched with concentric ripples, betraying how much her hooves were shaking. She put it back down on its saucer, not daring to take a sip lest she spilled it and started to cry.

Luna waited for an answer, a sympathetic smile on her face.
“It is alright Sister” she said soothingly, “You did what was right.”
Anger she could have coped with, resentment even, but empathy and understanding were too much for her and she gave up her unequal battle, burying her muzzle in her forehooves and sobbing, “I’m sorry, Luna, I’m so, so sorry …”
Celestia felt a comforting foreleg around her, but didn’t open her eyes to see the colour; she knew it would be midnight blue.
“It is best we have this emotion behind us so we may focus clearly” said Luna, “I have forgiven you, now you must forgive yourself.”
Celestia reached out and held her sister, “Yes, you’re right. But I won’t ever be able to free myself of the guilt.”
“Tell me Sister, would you act the same way if the same crisis befell you today?”
“Yes” whispered Celestia with a heavy sadness, “I would.”
“Good, then we are ready to continue this discussion.”

Celestia took a sip of tea, still trembling with the memory of what she had done.
“I’m sorry” she whispered softly.
“I know” comforted Luna, “And I love you, Sister.”
“Thank you, Luna” she replied, “And I love you too.”

Luna was impatient to continue, but stayed serene as her sister regained her composure. All that time banished to the moon, wrestling with her own self-pity and she had never fully appreciated how much it had hurt Celestia too.

“Sorry” apologised Celestia, ”You asked me a question and I owe you and answer. Nightmare Moon threatened to plunge Equestria into eternal darkness. Plants would have died, food would have run out and all the ponies would have died, leaving Nightmare Moon to rule over a kingdom devoid of subjects. Chrysalis invaded, intent on taking over Equestria to feed off ponies’ love. It was not in her interests to see the ponies die, but they would have been subjected to an existence where all their love would have been stripped away from them to feed their changeling masters. Some would say this was worse than death, but on the other hoof, there would have been hope that her reign of terror would eventually come to an end. On balance, I should have to say they present about the same degree of risk to Equestria.”

“And carry the same penalty?” asked Luna.
“What other options do we have?” thought Celestia out loud, “If we sentence her to death, we deny her the opportunity of redemption and we will be judged.”
“But we cannot release her in the face of her continued unrepentance” added Luna.
“Banishment would appear to be the only option open to us then.”
“But to where? The moon? The sun?”
“No. I do not want to see her face mocking us from above every day” stated Celestia firmly.
“Then we must find somewhere nopony will ever go.”

Luna returned to her dinner and toyed with it half-heartedly while Celestia cut herself a generous slice of cake to go with her tea, both sisters silent while they thought about where they could banish their unwanted guest.
“I think I may have it” said Celestia, finally breaking the silence “There are a few islands in the middle of the Celestial Sea. They do not lie on any trade routes past or present and are avoided as they are little more than rocky outcrops. The sea around there is also particularly rough, so mariners know that landing there would be most unwise. That should see her undisturbed for a thousand years.”

“That is certainly better than anything I had thought of” concurred Luna, “But we would have to deny her the power of flight also.”
“Agreed. I shall go and confirm the suitability of the location myself. The less who know about her final destination, the better.”
“Very well, Sister. How long will you be gone?”
“No more than two days. I shall ensure all my duties are covered before I leave. Oh, and Luna ..”
“Yes, Sister?”
“Thank you.”

The two shared a brief, but deeply personal hug before Celestia excused herself and made arrangements for her absence. Luna was tired, but was not going to let her sister go on her mission without being there to see her off, so poured a strong coffee and returned to finish her dinner.