• Published 3rd Mar 2019
  • 2,669 Views, 44 Comments

Our Principal Is A Belly Dancer - mayorlight

  • ...
5
 44
 2,669

Chapter 5

Everyone in the gymnasium hushed as a woman clad in a colorful, loose-fitting caftan dress stepped out onto the stage. It took Cinch a moment, but she recognized Chiffon Veil as the wizened dance instructor addressed the audience.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! Welcome and thank you all for joining us today. As many of you are aware, two weeks ago, we lost our longtime venue the Old Town Theater." Several sighs rippled through the audience. "We very nearly ended up postponing today's event, but in our hour of need, Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna were kind enough to open up their facilities to our belly dance family, and thus, here we are today!" A few cheers went up from the crowd. "Our adult class has worked very hard these last couple of weeks to prepare for today's show, and they are all ready and raring to go! How about you?" The dance teacher held the microphone out as all of the audience cheered and applauded. "Alright, let's get this show started!"

With that, Chiffon Veil strode off the stage. Cinch discreetly held up her smartphone with the video recorder on. She had to admire the energy with which the older woman carried herself. She certainly knows how to command an audience.

A vibrant string and percussion instrumental boomed in over the speakers as the curtains opened up. The melody intensified as thirteen dancers took the stage from both wings. With the exception of four who wore modest albeit form-fitting dresses, every one of their outfits left little to the imagination as they twirled about. Cinch's attention soon fell on a dancer in a black and silver outfit with long sapphire blue hair clad. Her hunch had been right after all - it was Vice Principal Luna! Then she noticed two other dancers nearby: one in a champagne outfit with long flowing aquamarine hair, and the other in a blue and gold outfit with long violet hair. Principal Celestia and Dean Cadance!

Cinch was dumbfounded. So not only were Luna and Celestia directly involved in this burlesque but Cadance as well! Three respected educators shamelessly swiveling their hips about like licentious harlots! This was no example to set for their students - especially those of Crystal Prep Academy! Cinch zoomed her smartphone's camera in on the three of them as close as she could. They will not be smiling after this!

Once the dancers had concluded their group opening, they all filed offstage. A moment later, a well-proportioned woman clad in a revealing red and gold outfit returned. It was then that a small child in the audience called out, "That's my mommy!"

Cinch twisted her mouth in disgust. Again, she wondered what sort of example this mother was setting for her child. Or, for that matter, how Shining Armor could possibly condone Cadance parading herself half-naked in front of both her students and complete strangers. She decided to switch off her smartphone for the time being. She barely paid any attention to the first two soloists.

The third soloist wore a form-fitting green dress that covered her from her neck to her ankles. Perhaps it was the more modest outfit, but Cinch found herself paying more attention to the woman's hip, arm, and hand motions and the grace with which she moved about on stage. She had clearly put a great deal of practice into her performance. The next dancer performed with a curved sword which she kept balanced on her head through most of her solo. Despite being less modestly dressed, Cinch admired her ability all the same. Then came dancer who twirled a hooked cane with incredible finesse. Another dancer even seemed as though she were lost in a trance as she performed, like some religious ecstatic.

Most peculiar, however, none of the men in the audience whistled or catcalled. Cinch had expected them to be a much rowdier bunch. Perhaps the absence of alcohol and the presence of women and children kept them on their best behavior. She nevertheless kept her smartphone ready for when her three primary targets reemerged.

***

Sunset Shimmer glanced about the backstage area. "Where's Vice Principal Luna? She's up next!"

"I saw her going back to the dressing room," said Celestia.

"I am right here." They glanced toward the hall to find Luna approaching with a diaphanous black veil draped over her shoulders like a cloak. "Sorry, Sunset, I realized that I was missing something."

Cadance gave Luna a puzzled look. "I thought you weren't using your veil this time?"

"Change of plans."

"But what about your routine?"

"It can be done with or without a veil." Just then, Luna realized that Celestia was looking at her in bewilderment. Suddenly, she found herself struggling to find words for her sister. "I...did not want to overshadow you on your debut."

Celestia just smiled. She thought back to the countless times growing up when she had done just that to her younger sister, and how she had strived to avoid repeating the same mistakes as an adult. "You didn't have to worry about that."

Sunset waved to them. "You're on, Vice Principal Luna!"

Celestia patted her sister on the shoulder. "Knock 'em dead!"

Gathering her resolve, Luna took a deep breath and cleared her mind as she walked out onto the stage. In order for her to give her absolute best, she had to tune everything out - including the audience. I'll savor their smiles and cheers once I've finished, she thought to herself.

A somber string melody flowed from the speakers. Slowly, she circled her hips as she raised her arms toward the ceiling. Her veil seemed to take on the appearance of a pair of great black wings as she folded her arms before her. Even with it wrapped around her like a shroud, her smooth, sinuous movements underneath were unmistakable. Up and down the stage she glided and twirled, her veil orbiting about her like some shadowy familiar spirit. She ended her solo twirling in place several times before dropping to her knees and finally bringing her veil to rest before her.

Only at the end of her performance did Luna allow herself to hear the audience's cheers and applause. Rising to her feet, she draped her veil over her shoulders once again. She could barely make out Cinch in the dimly lit gymnasium. Judging from how she sat with her arms crossed, the principal of Crystal Prep Academy seemed utterly unmoved. No matter, Luna smiled to herself. I've said my piece. She took her bow and left the stage.

***

Next, it was Cadance's turn. She gently traced the edges of the crystal heart pinned to her top as she thought of her Crystal Prep students and Shining Armor sitting in the audience (her "cheering section") and Twilight Sparkle and her CHS friends who helped make this day possible. I shall give them my best!

A vigorous drum beat rattled in from the speakers. She opened with a series of hip drops before chasseing across the floor. Extending her arms out to her sides, she circled her chest then her hips. Indigo Zap and Lemon Zest gave some ululating "warrior princess" trills as she rapidly shimmied her hips from side to side. She twirled about and circled her hips once more before closing with a final series of hip drops.

As the audience applauded, she could hear the Crystal Prep girls cheering from their seats. No doubt Cinch could hear them as well. Better not rub it in too much, she thought to herself. She took her bow then waved at her students and blew a kiss to Shining Armor before leaving the stage.

***

At long last, it was Celestia's turn. She had yet to refine any pre-performance ritual of her own. Instead, she had simply focused on banishing any lingering doubts from her mind. No different from addressing your students at a school assembly. Just let your body do the talking.

A spirited drum beat boomed in from the speaker. She started her solo by circling her hips then her chest. She then proceeded to shimmy her shoulders then her hips as she twirled across the stage. Her routine was nowhere nearly as elaborate as any of her classmates, but there was strength in simplicity. Every hip circle, every shimmy felt as natural as walking. Raising her arms overhead, she slid her head from side to side before twirling about and ending with a grand flourish.

As the audience cheered and applauded, Celestia looked in Cinch's direction, extending her hand palm up toward her colleague. She held the position for a moment before taking her bow and leaving the stage. Your move, Abacus.

***

DJ began playing the final track as all of the dancers assembled on stage once more for their group finale. Instead of a traditional belly dance song, it was a recent pop song. Celestia, Luna, and Cadance joined their classmates in playfully shimmying and swaying to the lively, uptempo rhythm. Soon most of the audience - the Rainbooms, and the Shadowbolts especially - were clapping and singing along to the lyrics about shaking off the unkind words of naysayers. The recital concluded to a standing ovation.

Chiffon Veil joined her students on stage. "I would like to give a big thank you to Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna for allowing us to hold our recital here." At this, she gestured to Celestia and Luna, who stepped forward to a surge of cheers and applause. "I would also like to thank their wonderful students who helped us put on today's show. Please come up here and be recognized!"

With that, Sunset Shimmer, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and DJ Pon-3 stepped out onto the stage as Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy came up from the audience. The Rainbooms assembled alongside their principal and vice principal as one final round of applause went up from the audience.

***

As the dancers disappeared backstage and most of the audience began leaving their seats, Abacus Cinch remained in deep reflection at what she had just witnessed.

She had come here to Canterlot High School expecting to find evidence of improper conduct. Instead, she found a group of women who fervently dedicated to their craft. There was no denying the discipline she had observed in the dancers. After all, was that not the same trait she constantly worked to cultivate in her own students to help them excel?

More importantly, she had seen three of her colleagues at their most authentic. Even while Luna, Cadance, and Celestia had shed their mantles of Vice Principal, Dean and Principal respectively, they still commanded the hearts and minds of their students. Our schools so desperately need educators such as these!

One by one, Cinch opened each of the video files she had just recorded and pressed Delete.

***

Minutes later, the dancers emerged in their "civilian clothes" to greet their friends and family. Celestia, Luna, and Cadance were met by the largest group of all, composed of their students plus Shining Armor. One after another, they hugged and congratulated each of them on their performances.

Luna suddenly whispered to Celestia. "Inbound, twelve o'clock."

Celestia glanced up to find Cinch slowly approaching, her face unreadable. The others soon noticed too, their cheers immediately dying out. The Shadowbolts and Shining Armor suddenly looked more than ready to interpose themselves in front of their oncoming principal!

"Let her come," whispered Cadance.

Except for Sugarcoat, all of the girls gave their dean puzzled looks, but they and Shining Armor all nonetheless backed away warily, clearing a path for Cinch. They and their Canterlot High friends watched nervously as Cinch unhurriedly walked up to Luna, Celestia, and Cadance.

"Hello, Abacus," said Celestia serenely.

For a moment, Cinch said nothing, regarding the other three women with her usual inscrutability. Then, without warning, she began to applaud. Was this a trick? Was she trying to lull them into lowering their guards? Somehow, Celestia did not think so.

"That was a wonderful performance, all three of you." she said solemnly. There was not the slightest hint of menace in her voice. She even appeared to be actually smiling!

"Thank you very much," Luna, Celestia, and Cadance replied in near-unison.

"It's plain to see that each of you put into this...pursuit the very same passion you have put into your roles as teachers. Canterlot High is indeed fortunate to have you, as is Crystal Prep." At this, she shook Celestia's hand, followed by Luna's then Cadance's. If she was aware of the bewildered looks from her students and the Rainbooms, she did not show it. "I take my leave now. I'll see you on Monday, Cadance."

As Cinch began to walk away, Celestia called after her. "You know, Chiffon Veil's dance studio is always welcoming new students."

Cinch stopped and looked back over her shoulder, her usual severity restored. "Thank you, but I'll stick with Pilates."

Celestia smiled as she shrugged. It was worth a try.

Pinkie whispered to Twilight. "Um, what just happened?"

"Principal Celestia, Vice Principal Luna, and Dean Cadance just won a very important battle."

"Battle?" Rainbow Dash asked incredulously. "Uh, where was the monster? Besides Cinch, I mean."

"Yeah, we didn't even need to light her up!" said Pinkie confused.

Twilight just smiled. "Not all battles are won with rainbows and lasers."

***

Two weeks later at Crystal Prep Academy, Sugarcoat and Lemon Zest sat in their first-period English class, waiting for their teacher to arrive. Lemon grooved to her morning "wake up" playlist while Sugarcoat took the time to quietly meditate at her desk (contrary to popular belief, lotus positions and 'ohm' sounds were optional). All about them, their classmates chatted with each other or fiddled with their smartphones. They all immediately snapped to attention as Principal Cinch entered the classroom.

"Good morning, class," said their principal in her usual icy tone. "Mister Spruce will be out today. I would like everyone to please welcome your substitute teacher, Miss Chiffon Veil."

Sugarcoat and Lemon stifled their gasps as their belly dance instructor entered the classroom, clad in a navy blue blazer and pants. It was the first time either of them had seen her out of her usual caftan dress. Even more surprising was how Cinch smiled a tiny bit as the substitute walked up before the class.

"Thank you, Principal Cinch," said Chiffon Veil. "Good morning, everybody! Now, who here has heard of Haiku?"

Author's Note:

If you can't beat 'em, hire 'em! Cinch knows a good instructor when she sees one.

I'm pretty sure everyone can guess the song playing for the group finale. Blame it on me watching Sing countless times with my niece!

Hope you all enjoyed this latest Equestria Girls belly dance tale! It was fun to shine the spotlight on Luna and Cadance once more and to finally bring Celestia in on the fun.

Comments ( 15 )

Here's a thought: How about the Starlight learns about the classes and tries it out? I mean we need a Pony-turned Human to try their hooves at it.

Well, I'll be damned... Cinch actually changed her mind. ...That sounds so wrong coming out of my mouth.

Gah! This was such a fun installment! <3

As Cinch began to walk away, Celestia called after her. "You know, Chiffon Veil's dance studio is always welcoming new students."

Cinch stopped and looked back over her shoulder, her usual severity restored. "Thank you, but I'll stick with Pilates."

Now we need a small oneshot titled "Our Dictator Tried Bellydancing That One Time" :rainbowlaugh:

9554065
She probably realized that she had more to lose by going through with her original plan.

9555904
Glad you enjoyed it! :twilightsmile:

It's very difficult for me to even picture Cinch dancing at all, short of being compelled to do so by some weird science device like in Twilight Sparkle's Science Fair Sparks.

9556026
Still, it would have been interesting, maybe as a what-if ending to see what had happened had Cinch decided to go through with her original plans and how the trio dealt with the consequences.

9556092
Definitely, though it's funny to contemplate her trying it, while trying not to be caught as if she was hiding a murder XD

I must say, this was quite the twist ending. And I like it. Cinch changing her mind about everything at the last minute was certainly refreshing to see.

Keep up the good work. I hope to see more stories like this in the future.

9826511
Thank you! I'm glad that you are enjoying these tales. :twilightsmile:

Nice conclusion to the story! I must admit, it's nice to see Cinch actually realize her mistake (miracles DO happen!) and the ending of the story was particularly entertaining as well. Solid work! ^_^

9828196
Thank you very much! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed this story and its prequels. :pinkiesmile:

YEET

*Starts reading.*

I've been binge reading these stories and I like what I'm reading. I've seen belly dancers preform and they're good.

10084746
:twilightsmile:

10084808
Thank you very much! I strive to do both the dance and dancers justice in my tales.

Login or register to comment