• Published 4th Jul 2018
  • 733 Views, 8 Comments

Relentless - Shinzakura



Summoned to the deathbed of a dying warrior, Princess Twilight Sparkle hears a tale of failure and futility...and triumph.

  • ...
1
 8
 733

Author's Notes

Author's Note:

Usually I don't add ANs as a separate thing, but in this case, I feel it's warranted. You see, the story came about as a result of something I came across on May 21st, 2015. To this day, I am still amazed the guy who committed the plagiarism thought he could get away with it. Sure, most people might not know what it was (both Flynt and Blue had never heard of it, and neither were real familiar with the original Twilight Zone series) but there are some of us who are old enough to have recalled seeing it on TV, some (not me!) even on its first run.

Even more so, it was a lazy attempt. The author had made the story anthro so he didn't have to change anything but the names. He made minor changes to the setting and thought that would be enough. It was enough, all right - enough to get me angry enough to report it.

I promised that I would write a story based on Beaumont's original work (not the Twilight Zone episode, but the original short story), so that it would be done justice. It doesn’t help that the original story is a clunker and doesn’t have the additional visual panache the screenplay version does, but it still warranted a true take on it, regardless. And I had promised to do it a few weeks afterwards, but I forgot about it. Maybe I had other stuff going on, or maybe the fire of my ire had cooled off to the point that reason had set in, not really sure.

Either way, I was cleaning out my archives and came across it once more and knew I had to finish what I started. If for no other reason than a feeling that if I didn't, it would symbolically let the plagiarist win. I couldn't do that.

I had to be, well, relentless.

And so here we are. I hope you appreciate it, and thanks for sticking with me on this journey.

Thanks to coandco (who gritted his teeth through the editing, sorry!) and the others who indulged me this strange little detour. It’s done and out of my system.

Well, until the next time I see something like this, anyway.... :trollestia:

Comments ( 5 )

You've done an amazing job, 10 thumbs up!

This deserves a hell of a lot more attention than it's had. A wonderful re-imagining - I don't know the original story well, but I don't think I need to. This stands on its own.

amazing story, keep up the great work! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment