• Published 2nd Nov 2017
  • 614 Views, 8 Comments

The Labors of Applejack - Dreadnought



Applejack must teach her friends the true meaning of the holidays.

  • ...
0
 8
 614

January 18th

The Labors of Applejack
Chapter Five: Civil Rights Day

“Hmph.” Applejack took a seat on the living room couch. Sighing, she reached down and massaged her sore hooves.

Applejack had spent all morning clearing out the spare bedroom, getting ready for Pinkie Pie. Her cousin needed someplace to live, after all. It was a real shame Sugarcube Corner was closing, but for some reason business had fallen off and the Cakes decided to try their fortunes elsewhere. As bad as it was, it did turn out to be a blessing for Sweet Apple Acres. Over the past few weeks the farm had been inundated with orders for every type of cake and pie and sweet treat by the residents of Ponyville. If it hadn’t been for every member of the family helping out with baking, and the normal winter lull in farm work, they never could have made it. But now that Pinkie Pie was moving in as the new resident baker, things were looking up and the bits were flowing in. Yes, Sweet Apple Acres was rolling in dough, pun most certainly intended.

But that wasn’t the only surprise of late. Applejack will always remember opening that letter and receiving an invitation to Rainbow Dash’s wedding! She never thought her and Zypher Breeze would tie the knot, much less be a serious couple, but here they were. Rainbow Dash had insisted it was a terrible mistake or a really sick prank, that there no absolutely plans – now or ever – for her to marry Zephyr Breeze. Applejack wasn’t so sure, seeing as how the invitations had been sent out by Windy Whistles. Regardless, Rainbow Dash would get a nice sister-in-law with Fluttershy.

Speaking of Fluttershy, Applejack hadn’t seen her since the Winter Moon Festival. That pegasus sure was hungry for some of the griffons’ tofu turkey. She’d even heard Fluttershy was flying to Griffonstone to get her fill.

And of course, Applejack had missed her other two friends lately. Rarity had taken a long cruise out of Mareami to get away from all the work she’d been doing. And Twilight? Well, she’d unfortunately spent Hearth’s Warming in the hospital with a nasty flu. But at least she got to share a room with Princess Luna, who was recovering from her serious injuries inflicted by Princess Celestia. Ponies sure were worried, with whispers of an impending civil war between the sisters, but Applejack didn’t believe any of that. Why, there bond was tighter than an apple press.

Applejack sighed again, “Best get back to work.”

Knock! Knock!

“Now who could that be?” she muttered. Opening the front door, she discovered Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy, the latter chowing down on a tofu turkey leg. “Howdy. What brings y’all to Sweet Apple Acres.”

“Where here to celebrate!” said Rarity.

“Uh – celebrate what?”

“The holiday, of course,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Uh – what holiday? There’s nothin’ between New Year’s and Winter Wrap Up.”

“What about Civil Rights Day?” asked Twilight.

“Uh –”

“Don’t tell me you forgot about Royal’s Day?” asked Rarity.

“Uh –”

“Ooh!” cried Pinkie Pie, bouncing up and down. “What about Clover the Clever Day? It’s so much fun pinching ponies who don’t wear green and goin’ out at night to drink beer.”

“What’s going on here?” Applejack asked.

Twilight gave a devious smile. “Well, since you made sure we celebrated Veterans’ Day, the Fall Harvest Festival, and the Winter Moon Festival, we wanted to make sure you celebrated these other holidays.”

“But I’ve got a lot of work to do.” Her protests went in vain as she was dragged towards Ponyville in a purple aura....

The End

Author's Note:

Well, thanks for checking in for the final chapter. I didn't want to leave this story incomplete like - ahem - some of my other stories. I hope you enjoyed it. And by the way, in case you're wondering, Civil Rights Day is a reference to MLK Day, Royal's Day is President's Day, and Clover the Clever Day is St. Patrick's Day.

Be sure to check out my new story, When Worlds Collide.... I posted the latest chapter today!

Dreadnought

Comments ( 3 )

What goes round comes round, this was rather fun to read, simple, and a lot of chuckle moments.
Shame it isn't better known, specially as we need more Apple in our lives!

9280029
Thanks for reading. Yeah, it would be nice it more folk had read it. But eh, it's hit or miss. As for Applejack, there can never be enough AJ stories.:ajsmug:

Dreadnought

This is such a quaint and cute little story.

I may not know most of these holidays, or at least how they are celebrated since I don't live in the US, but it is fun learning through these ponies' eyes.

Plus, a regular farmer causing more chaos than Discord is entertaining.

Login or register to comment