• Published 2nd Nov 2017
  • 613 Views, 8 Comments

The Labors of Applejack - Dreadnought



Applejack must teach her friends the true meaning of the holidays.

  • ...
0
 8
 613

November 1st

The Labors of Applejack
Chapter One: The Day After

Applejack trotted down the old country lane that led from Sweet Apple Acres to Ponyville, smiling as she enjoyed the beautiful fall morning. Above, Celestia’s radiant sun shone brightly in a cloudless blue sky, with Luna’s nearly full moon having set hours before. The brisk morning gave her a pleasant chill, refreshing after doing backbreaking labor through an unusually hot summer. The crisp air filled her lungs and invigorated her for the work ahead. The surrounding forests, once a veritable sea of green, had turned the most magnificent shades of red, yellow, and orange. Shortly it would be time for the Running of the Leaves, and Applejack eagerly looked forward to a rematch against her greatest rival – Rainbow Dash.

More importantly, though, fall meant cider season was just around the corner. For generations the Apples had made the best cider this side of Canterlot, earning enough bits to make it through the winter. The family had once been challenged by a pair of smooth-talking unicorn brothers from out of town named Flim and Flam, who threatened to drive them out of business and off their ancestral land. But thanks to the hard work of her family, and in no small measure that of her friends, the Apples had won the contest and ensured a monopoly on the cider market in Ponyville. Now their only problem, apart from providing a supply sufficient to meet the town’s demands, was keeping a certain blue pegasus at bay, lest she sneak off with a few mugs, or barrels, of that most sought-after of beverages.

Applejack’s mind couldn’t help but turn to her younger sister. The night before Apple Bloom had joined her friends in trick-or-treating on Nightmare Night. Her sister had looked absolutely adorable as a pirate, a choice probably inspired by tales of her older sister’s latest adventure. Her two best friends – Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle – dressed as a Wonderbolt and Songbird Serenade, respectively. It had been a good night of fun for all. A little too fun, actually. The ambitious filly had gathered way more sugary candy than in any previous year, and likely failed to make the traditional candy offering. When Apple Bloom returned home, she practically bounced off the walls from an extreme sugar high. But when the morning came, Applejack wasn’t surprised when her sister trudged into the kitchen saying she didn’t feel well. Apple Bloom had wanted to stay home from school, but Applejack insisted it would wear off in time and made sure the filly went anyways.

Granny Smith and Big Mac had spent the night running the farm’s traditional corn maze, though thankfully this year without an appearance by Flutterbat. The shy pegasus instead spent a quiet evening at home with her animal friends, as was her custom. As for Applejack? She, dressed as Mistress Mare-velous, attended a party hosted by Princess Twilight Sparkle, and planned by Pinkie Pie of course. Most of her friends were there, and even Princess Luna stopped by to join in the revelry. Everypony partied late into the night, enjoying the festivities, the games, the food, the dancing, and generally having a good time with friends. In fact, though Applejack left around midnight, the party surely continued for several more hours.

Reaching a fork in the road, Applejack took a left. The path going right would lead her into downtown Ponyville, what there was of it, which was the path that she normally followed when conducting business or visiting most everypony she knew. The left fork was a shortcut that led towards her true destination – the Castle of Friendship. Applejack had offered to help clean up after the celebration of the previous night. And given how late it had gone and raucous it had gotten, she suspected that she’d be there most of the day.

Applejack emerged from the woods before a magnificent crystal castle, the light glistening off its many facets. It was a bit pretentious for her tastes, though Twilight hadn’t much choice when it magically sprouted from the ground. Rarity, on the other hoof, adored the castle, and would live in it if given the chance.

Applejack climbed the steps towards the front door. Though she was always welcome, and actually expected by her friends this morning, she still felt the need to knock. After all, with how late the party went, there was a chance that everypony was still fast asleep. But instead an aura enveloped the doorknob and the heavy doors began to open.

“Ah’m here to help –” Applejack stopped as she saw the scene before her. “What in tarnation is goin’ on in here?”

The main entrance hall was filled with cardboard boxes. The Nightmare Night decorations had been partially taken down, to be stored away for another year. Meanwhile, she saw Equestrian flags, tinsel, evergreen trees, and all manner of Hearth’s Warming ornaments and decorations.

“Oh, sorry Applejack,” replied Twilight. “We got started a little early. Except for Pinkie Pie, who’s upstairs still asleep. She partied ’til the break of dawn.”

“That’s not what Ah meant,” responded Applejack. “What are you doing?”

“Well, we’re taking down the Nightmare Night decorations and putting up the Hearth’s Warming decorations,” she said, confused having to state the obvious.

“Ah can see that. Why?”

“Whatever do you mean, darling?” inquired Rarity.

“Don’t ’cha think it’s a little too early to put up the Hearth’s Warming decorations?”

“When should we do it?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“After the other holidays,” retorted Applejack.

“What other holidays?” asked the pegasus.

“What other holidays!?” stuttered Applejack. “How come everypony always forget about the holidays? How about the Winter Moon Celebration?”

Twilight thought for a moment, “Well, we’ve only been observing that for a few years, so ponies are still getting used to it.”

Applejack grudgingly realized her friend had a point. “What about the Fall Harvest Festival?”

“Oh, I remember -” said Rarity.

Applejack let out a sigh of relief.

“- that’s Black Friday Eve.”

“‘Black Friday Eve!?’” repeated an incredulous Applejack.

“Of course. I need a day to rest before getting up early to go shopping! You know Applejack, Black Friday is the only day of the year when I rise before you,” she said with a laugh.

“There’s more to the Fall Harvest Festival than getting’ ready to go shopping.”

“Applejack’s right!” said Rainbow Dash. “You can’t forget the hoofball!”

“Hoofball!”

“Yeah, you know, the Lions, the Cowponies, and the Giants.”

“Giants goin’ down!” said Spike.

“I’ll never understood what the draw is,” said Starlight.

“Me neither,” said Twilight with a smile.

Fluttershy spoke very quietly, “Well, I’ve always enjoyed the dog shows.”

“‘Hoofball!?’ ‘Dog shows!?’” repeated Applejack as if she hadn’t heard right. Fluttershy retreated a little upon her friend’s response. Applejack turned to the group, “What about givin’ thanks fer what we got? Spendin’ time with family?”

“Ooo! I think I have a book on the Fall Harvest Festival,” said Twilight, her wings flaring at the thought of consulting one of her thousands of books.

Applejack facehoofed. “At least tell me y’all observe Veterans Day?” She was met with blank stares from her friends.

Finally, Rainbow Dash asked, “Is that a real thing?”

“‘Is that a real thing!?’ Dash, yer in the Wonderbolts for Celestia’s sake! They started off as part of the military! Ah know that, an’ Ah’m just a farmer.”

“Well, we’re more focused on the future than the past,” explained Rainbow Dash.

Letting out a frustrated groan, Applejack turned and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” asked Twilight.

“Ah’m goin’ to show y’all the true meanin’ of the holidays!”

Author's Note:

So, as I mentioned in my latest blog, I was thinking about writing a holiday themed story, like I did last year with Merry Christmas!!! Given the nature of what I had in mind, I needed to publish the first chapter today. Following chapters will follow on their appropriate days.

Keep Writing,

Dreadnought