• Published 31st Aug 2017
  • 2,091 Views, 50 Comments

Cracks - Detsella Morningdew



An Undertale crossover. Frisk makes the ultimate sacrifice to save Asriel, but when they try to reload a save, things don't go as planned.

  • ...
5
 50
 2,091

Chapter 4: Prelude

Princess Celestia looked at the latest research report from her student. As she expected, it was a rather panicked one about the legends she had assigned her to read yesterday. Everything was going as planned.

But she was no longer as confident that her plan would work. It all depended on Twilight making five friends, all in one day. Sure, she knew the ponies she tasked with the Celebration preparation would be perfect candidates, but who knows if they really were up for such an adventure? That they wouldn't just run away at the sight of real danger. Or even that they would like Twilight. Or that Twilight would even accept them as her friends.

She no longer had the luxury of finding out. Everything was do or die. The first time. Even worse, her enemy might not have the same restriction.

Celestia crumpled the letter she had prepared to send back. There was no longer room for secrecy. She could no longer be alone in this. She needed another brain on this to help out.

Twilight needed to know the truth, from the beginning this time. Whether she could handle it or not...

No, she had to. It was either that, or the world would freeze.

Her pen met the parchment, as she began to compose a reply.


Asriel burst through the door.

"Fluttershy! I think I might have a digestive system! Do you have a bathroom?"

The yellow pegasus opened her mouth, then closed it again. "Umm... just down the hall?" She pointed with a hoof.

"Kaythanksmombye!" He ran off, leaving her bemused. She looked up at Harry the bear, who shrugged.

He sure is strange. But he seemed... happier. She settled back down on her couch, smiling contentedly.


"I'm sorry, I don't really know much about singing. You'd have to teach me, too. And if there's only one more day until this Summer Sun Celebration... I don't think I'd be much help."

"No, no. That's fine. It was only if you wanted to. But if you can't help, it might be a bit boring for you. Maybe you could go into town? Only if you want to, of course. It would be more interesting than just watching me."

Asriel looked down the road.

"Don't worry. The ponies there are usually really nice."

"All right... thanks."

Don't worry, Asriel. Even Rainbow Dash stopped really quick once she realized we weren't trying to hurt Fluttershy.

I know, but last time I went into a town...

And I'll be right with you. These ponies are a lot more accepting than most humans. Besides, you aren't carrying my body. That does a lot for first impressions.

Asriel sighed. All right... let's do this.


"Ooh! I love meeting new people!"

The violently pink pony in front of him seemed to just appear out of thin air. Suddenly reminded of the last person that did this, Asriel shuddered involuntarily. This pony shouldn't be underestimated.

"So, what's your name? Mine's Pinkie Pie!"

"Um... Asriel. Nice to meet you?"

Pinkie leaned in closer. "Aaaand?"

Asriel's eyes widened. "Uhhh... Frisk."

Pinkie's smile widened to an almost impossible level. "Thanks! Expect a surprise party when you least expect it!"

She put a hoof to her chin. "Wait a second..." Asriel chuckled. "Well, see you then, I guess."

Pinkie Pie grinned again. "Sooner!"

His smile grew. "All right then. See you Pinkie."

"Bye!" She zipped off.

Well, that was... interesting, I guess.

Definitely. It's hard to imagine someone so... cheerful. You don't see that often in the Underground.

You don't see that on the surface, either. But she seemed genuine enough.

Still, we should be careful around her.

Yeah... she knew I was here instantly.

But she didn't attack us for it either. So either she doesn't know how it works...

Either way... we should definitely be careful. Still, all her cheer seemed to be genuine.

Let's just make sure to never get on her bad side.

...Agreed.


...Um... Frisk, there's a weird tan pony with a purple and blue mane who keeps following us.

Yeah, I see her too. But she's just watching us, not attacking or anything. Let's just ignore her for now.

SLAM

Asriel rubbed his eyes as he got up from the dirt.

"Oh, no, I'm so sorry!"

Wait, that wasn't even an attack... He looked up at the pony responsible, a worried gray pegasus with a blonde mane.

"Are you okay, mister? I swear, it was just an accident..."

"It's... it's okay, miss..?"

"Ditzy. Here, let me help you." She used her head to push him upright. "I'm so sorry, I didn't even see you there."

"No, it's fine. No harm... done."

And it was shockingly true. His health was barely down by one point.

"If you're sure... Still, I kinda feel bad about it." She rustled in her bag. "Do you like muffins?"

Asriel smiled as one was held out to him. He took it. "Thanks, Ditzy."

"Well, uh... see you later!" She cringed. "Hopefully under better circumstances."

Asriel watched her fly away. It was a bit erratic, but there was an odd sort of grace about it.

He took a bite of the muffin.


Asriel sat down on a nearby bench near the city center, just watching the ponies go by. Quite a few of them looked at him strangely, and some even shied back in fear, but those reactions quickly faded into vague acceptance. He was just another part of the town.

That gave Frisk some pause. First it was monsters, but now ponies. New shapes did not seem to faze them whatsoever. Monsters he could understand. Every monster seemed to be unique, after all. But ponies all seemed to be like humans. All of them were pretty much the same general size. The same general shape. Yet they were perfectly okay with someone who walked on two legs, had horns, and... was basically a bipedal goat.

Hey!

I'm not saying that's a bad thing!

Asriel was interested for a different reason. All these ponies, going about their day, seemed strange to him. There was nothing hovering over their heads. No fake smiles, no fake laughs. Just genuine happiness. Like that Pinkie Pie, but a bit less unsettling with its intensity.

It wasn't like there was no conflict. They were sitting right near the market, so there was plenty of that. But it all seemed so... inconsequential. There was arguing, but no hate. Defeat, but no real sadness to come with it.

Asriel, it all seems so... perfect here.

Yeah, that's what worries me, Frisk. Nothing is.

What do you mean? You think they're hiding some big secret or something?

No... but there's always a balance somewhere. I'm just saying we need to be careful.


Asriel walked down the road to Fluttershy's house, watching the sky change colors as the sun set.

Beautiful, isn't it?

Yeah. Is the surface like this on Earth?

You never really do appreciate it until it's gone.

...Frisk, how long were you down there, really? You said it took three days to get back to the surface, but... how many times did you go back?

Asriel... don't worry about it. It was worth it. Not being able to see the sun... that wasn't anything compared to what I had with you... with all of you.

They yawned as he approached Fluttershy's door.

Let's just get to sleep.

Yeah. Tomorrow is a new day, and it isn't going anywhere.

Author's Note:

Foreshadowing!

A shorter chapter, to start this off again. Sorry for the long wait.

Another chapter is going to come soon - this story is still going to be the next updated. But I felt the break should be here rather than somewhere else, story-wise.

And for the Rarity fans out there, don't think I've forgotten about her. Just like the other characters, she gets a bit more characterization than the pilot episode, and that fits better in a different spot. Besides, I didn't want to just check off boxes of who he should meet.

I hope I left a few things to look forward to as well. This isn't going to be just the pilot with a new character.

Comments ( 6 )

*deep breath* YES!!!!!!!!! UPDATE:pinkiehappy:

A good chapter, cementing the story's placement in canon and setting up for the first episode, if we aren't in it a bit already.

Oh yes (similar) an update!

Can’t wait to see what happens

Dang it!
No new chapters yet, I guess I have to learn to be patient.

Login or register to comment