• Published 25th May 2017
  • 812 Views, 34 Comments

The Lunar Engineer - Randomfastreader



Luna becomes an Engineer in a world where war is more common, she is now left once the carribou takeover canterlot to regain it.

  • ...
3
 34
 812

six years later, the start of something new

Luna was just completing a mixed freight from trottingham to manehattan, when moonie yelled, “Luna, the boss wants to see you!”

Luna replied, “ok!”

Luna proceeded to finish what she was doing and went to see the boss.

The boss was a stock middle aged unicorn, he had blue fur and a chromatic mane.

“What do you need sir?” luna asked

“Luna as a result of the recent dip in the economy, we can no longer support your train and you on the railroad. I am very sorry about this, as we tried to keep you on but the running costs were too high.”

“That’s ok it was time for me to take a vacation anyways.”

“I don’t quite think you got the message, allow me to be blunt, you’re fired.”

“Ok” luna responded, and proceeded to find moonie.

Once she found moonie, she proceeded to say, ”moonie, we are no longer employed with the railroad.”

Moonie responded, “so we’re beginning on the everfree then?”

“Yes” luna responded.

“Ok let’s collect fancy pants and flur de lis, and depart. Did you get the materials for the construction?”

“We will pick them up on the way”

Around one hour later after explaining what they were doing to fancy pants and fleur de lis, they departed with all the materials required for the construction in the everfree.

After arriving in the everfree they pull into the siding and begin construction on the rail line, the rail line went from the main line to the side about 20 ft and then began descending.
It was to be made at a 1% gradient, and it would spiral down around 10 miles, they had around 1000 miles of track to lay, the total radius would be around 100 miles wide, allowing it to make ten full rotations down deep into the ground, it will be the deepest and the longest continuous curve ever done anywhere. Then it would continue to descend down to 15 miles below the surface, it would also be the highest pressure anywhere, except under the ocean, with a staggering 1.5 bar. And with a width of 30 ft the tunnel would also be one of the widest. And they were just beginning construction. The whole project would take 2.5 years, and the weirdest part is the entire excavation will be done with a state of the art continuous tunnel boring machine, it was of luna’s own design, it allowed the tunnel to be bored constantly and the concrete to be poured and rebar installed automatically, at a rate of 1.39 miles per day or a rate of 0.057 miles per hour. Thus making it the fastest TBM in existence, and the only one of it’s type, it was powered by the nuclear reactor on Luna’s train. As it operated at 100 Terawatts per hour, which is a consumption rate only the reactor can keep up with. The entire excavation work was actually completed on time, and then they got to the hardest part of the job, going through the outer rock of the cave, it actually wasn’t that bad, and they managed to make it through within three days, thus allowing the entire TBM to be disassembled, however I have apparently skipped over describing the cave so allow me to do that. The cave was massive it was five miles high by 3 miles wide, by 20 miles long, thus making it the biggest cave ever discovered. Luna proceeded to finish the whole project by laying track for the rail yard, and setting up the life support systems. All in all except for the final touches and Luna’s residence the entire project was finished, so Luna started on the next project, making the doors.

The doors, are also state of the art, at five feet thick, they would be some of the thickest doors ever made, for their size. They would also be inset into the tunnel walls, the doors were for if anything were to ever happen on the surface they would close. There were actually 40 sets of doors, each one at 90 degree intervals on the spiral. These would allow luna to completely seal off the cave from the outside, and as all the doors were hermetically sealable, there would be nothing that could penetrate the doors.

Also she laid the second and third tracks in the tunnel, and made sure the doors would seal over them. Then she went to invite ponies into the cave to carve out their homes. And as the cave would hold up to 5,000,000 ponies, there was very little fear of it being filled up.

Comments ( 2 )

Do you really organize the stuff you read on a spreadsheet? Btw, I'm eventually gonna read this.

9419459
I don't even remember but I do use the libraries very excessively.

Login or register to comment