• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Doze

He awoke with a gasp, his tense breaths echoing against the wooden walls of a storage compartment. All around him, the immense hull of the Midnight Oil creaked and groaned as it rolled on through the clouds.

The out-of-place pegasus lay on a soft pile of grain sacks. A candle burned all the way to its brass holder beside him, the wick almost extinguished.

Flash Sentry could scarcely remember at what point he had gone to sleep. It had to have sometime before sunrise. The teenager's mind reeled with a bevy of migraine-inducing images: the mental stretch marks of a night chock-full of intense dreams.

The only soothing thing was the melodic sound of Princess Luna's calm voice, but even that was fading with each tense second he spent gathering his senses. Raising his forelimbs, Flash was briefly and stupidly surprised to find hooves instead of fingers. Nevertheless, he rubbed his muzzle several times, drifting with the sway of the airship as his senses gradually returned.

Finally—one leg after another—he stood up, wobbled, and limped out of the compartment. He instantly regretted opening the door to the top deck. Blinding sunlight flooded his sockets, and he nearly teetered into the port side railing. As he fumbled, he heard a casual male voice chuckle behind him.

"Took you long enough."

"Mrmmmfff...?" Flash teetered about, squinting.

Soarin and his pale smirk emerged from both the fog and his jumpsuit. Flash became aware of bright blue skies with pale clouds cruising by in his peripheral. "Mr. Pants and the others were asking where you had run off to. I figured you needed some shuteye, dude. After all..." A wink. "You're more or less the reason everything about this expedition turned out so well."

"Grnnngh..." Flash stifled a yawn and rubbed one eye after another. "Bro, please... don't inflate my ego this early in the morning." A dumb, tired yawn. "I don't want to tip the zeppelin into a barrel roll."

"Heheheh..." Soarin trotted over. "Don't get high off it just yet. Save it for the Princess."

"Who? Luna?!" Flash leaned back. "But I just got done talking to her."

"What? Er... no..." Soarin shook his head. "She's not the Princess that I'm talking about."

"Celestia?"

"You ever heard of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza?"

"... ... ..." Flash looked tiredly to the left... then looked to the right, just as sleepily. At last, he blossomed a nervous smile. "Can I take the physical challenge?"

"I doubt it. She's married to the former Captain of the Canterlot Guard."

"No, dude, I was making... erm... what I meant was—"

"Wow, you're even goofier when you're barely awake." Soarin snickered before patting Flash on the back. "Come on. We'll talk it over breakfast."

"Uhhhhh..." Flash awkwardly hobbled down the deck of the Midnight Oil alongside the Wonderbolt. "Talk what over?"

"Our next destination, of course!" Soarin smiled. "The Crystal Empire."

PreviousChapters Next