• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
South

The steam-powered train sliced its way through the emerald expanse of verdant Equestria. But Flash Sentry wasn't on it.

He was hundreds of feet above, gliding against the wind, slicing through the current on agile wings. He squinted against the cool, crisp air... smiling at each challenging gust. The sun was bright and the winds drew the tears from his eyes. Or, at least, he told himself that.

The teenager wasn't alone. Soarin and Derpy Hooves flanked him on either side. A patch of clouds broiled darkly in the distance, sending an occasional echo of thunder across the otherwise bright atmosphere. It was far from dismal—the noise and chaos of the trailing storm invigorated the group. They shook off the goosebumps with occasional barrel-rolls and loopty-loops. Soarin taunted Flash more than once with a few professional maneuvers from his bottomless wallet of Wonderbolts experience. Flash attempted to emulate him—goofily so—and he lost a few feathers in the process. Derpy filled the air with incessant giggles, and the fuzzy gray dimples of her muzzle kept the entire group aloft.

Flash took more than a few moments to drink everything in. The azure blue gloss of the lakes... the lazy flicker of babbling rivers... the thick wooly forests lingering below and the thin amber promise of deserts and mountains far off in the distance. Flash gazed south, and he saw a spectral dance of muted colors, advancing into a gray malaise that promised more and more hidden hues of a magical prism. They were far from the funeral shrouds that imprisoned him under the weight of his room, and even those shades—Flash suspected—would no longer be quite so bleak.

Nevertheless, it was with a melodic sigh that Flash spoke aside to Soarin, "You know what I'm going to miss the most about this?"

"What's that, buddy?" Soarin asked.

Flash's smile was a placid one. "Coming back down."

His eyes traced the horizon... and it wasn't long before he found the quaint round brownness of Ponyville—its gold-thatched roofs winking at him beneath a noonday sun. It would be only a matter of hours before train arrived.

His time in Equestria was over.

Silent, Flash closed his eyes and allowed the warmth and wind of the pony world to serenade him.

Just for a little bit longer.

PreviousChapters Next