• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Reflect

Some time had passed.

If it weren't for the torchlights, Flash would probably have gone to sleep to experience the monotony less. Such was a lie and he knew it.

The noise of the celebration continued, haunting... taunting...

His head conjured up a million glittering images—of royal dignitaries in elegant finery enjoying the music of Octavia, Lyra, and Vinyl. She imagined Bon Bon passing trays of candy around from table to table, fraternizing with ambassadors from all over the equine globe. He imagined the smiles of Mr and Mrs Cake as they told tall tales of Ponyville while serving pie slices to visiting strangers. Last but not least, she imagined Soarin's dashing smile and Derpy's giggling voice... and just how heavenly those two disparate things felt when cocooned warmly within the same room.

Flash shivered. Just as he couldn't bear to imagine those things anymore...

...he heard hoofsteps again. Dozens of them. They were marching down the steps faster than ever.

His heart fluttered—only slightly—but he chose to ignore it. Just as he chose to ignore the voices beyond the cell bars at first. Ponies were mumbling with one another—even arguing in hoarse tones. At long last, a familiar voice cleared its throat and called out to him:

"You there," Shining Armor's unmistakable tone echoed. "Stand up and face us."

"You mean he doesn't have a name?" complained a curiously nasal, somewhat effeminate voice.

Wincing to himself, Flash reluctantly sat up. He swiveled off the bed, plodded down on four weak hooves, and shuffled towards the bars.

What he saw standing on the other side nearly threw him back onto his flank.

Shining Armor was there—as was a contingent of armored crystal guards. However, standing betwixt them was something that resembled a mutant cross between a moose and a stag beetle. The creature possessed lime-green chitinous flesh that sparkled in the torchlight and turned to darker neon shades of emerald across his belly. Dragonfly wings flared out from his side and a matching fibrous tail glistened translucently. To compliment all of this absurdity was a trio of horns—one green stub and two enormous orange things that nearly scraped the ceiling.

Flash was too busy trying to comprehend all of this that he barely noticed the conversation going on.

"From what we've learned, he's taken on the name of 'Brad' for some reason," Shining Armor said, regarding the jailed pegasus with an aloof expression. "Although Soarin of the Wonderbolts insists that he goes by 'Flash Sentry.'"

"The same as your Lieutenant of the guard?"

"Precisely. Maybe now you'll understand why we've brought you here, Your Highness." Shining Armor bowed slightly. "I'm so sorry that we had to interrupt your meeting with the Griffonstone representatives—"

"I only wish you had interrupted me sooner!" the insectoid creature said in a dramatic tone. "He's been down here this entire time?"

"Yes. He was escorted here the day before the festivities."

"At least tell me you've tried feeding him!"

"We... have brought him rations," Shining said. He looked towards a guard who nodded. "On at least four occasions. He... hasn't eaten anything. But if he's one of yours—"

"He's not one of mine," the creature declared, his compound eyes reflecting Flash's lonesome figure.

Shining's eyes narrowed beneath his helmet. "You're... you're sure of this, Thorax—?!"

"Of course I'm sure!" The creature reeled about with a chitinous frown. "And even if he was—I evidently have reason to be concerned! After all, if this is how you treat those you suspect to be my brothers and sisters of the hive, then I assure you I... I..." Thorax squirmed in place before finally finding the strength to slap a green hoof down. "...I'm certifiably peeved."

Gasps lit the room.

Half of the guards shifted in their armor.

Shining Armor cleared his throat. "I assure you, Your Highness, we did not mean to offend you."

"You... you think I'm offended?" Thorax briefly smiled. "R-really?! I-I mean..." He stood tall, the tips of his horns burning with an emerald fire. "Of course I am offended! Why... I-I have a good mind to send Pharynx here and teach you a thing or two about proper security protocol!"

"I understand why you are upset, Thorax, but we have these precautions in place for a reason," Shining spoke. "With all of the representatives converging on one spot—it would be perfect timing for Chrysalis to send loyal drones here to conduct something nefarious—"

"He is not a nefarious pony," spoke a feminine voice from above.

The guards rattled at attention.

Thorax and Shining stepped apart...

...and Flash Sentry watched as a pink... pink... pink pony trotted daintily down the stairwell, flanked by finely-dressed servants. She bore a tiara and bore a resolute expression that was both pleasant and serious all at once. When she spoke, it was like a Disney song was about to break out at any moment.

"He is indeed Flash Sentry... but not our Flash Sentry."

"Cadance," Shining spoke in a softer tone, approaching the regal mare. "I thought you said you'd be attending the Royal Sisters during the Celebration. Go back up, dear. We've got this under control—"

"Not anymore, my love," Cadance said, caressing Shining's chin briefly. "Princess Luna sent me to release him from his cell. He's the pony your sister's been looking for."

"Twily?" Shining blinked. "She's been looking for... for... him?"

"Princess Cadance..." Thorax bowed slightly. "...it would seem that your husband still believes that this is one of my kind."

"He isn't a changeling," Cadance remarked, shaking her head as she approached the cell. "A changeling—especially a lost one—feeds on love. But this soul... well..." She scuffled to a stop, giving Flash a sad look that pierced straight to his teenaged heart. "...he reflects it. Doesn't he?"

PreviousChapters Next