• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,426 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,426

PreviousChapters Next
Brothers

Flash Sentry stepped outside.

He squinted into the glow of the Crystal Heart.

When his eyes adjusted, two immediate figures came into focus beyond the line of crystal soldiers guarding the Palace entrance.

They turned to face him. Captain Spitfire—with her burning, peering eyes.

And Soarin, with his gasping muzzle. "Dude! You're out—!" He almost leapt across the courtyard, but he froze—anchored by a wince. He looked aside at Spitfire.

Spitfire continued glaring in Flash's direction.

The teenage stallion's features drooped. Like a guilty puppy, he trotted down the steps and towards where the two Wonderbolts were standing in wait.

Spitfire regarded him with a leering gaze.

Flash came to a stop before her.

After a pregnant pause, Spitfire rasped: "So... parasol pigeon here tells me that you're actually a talking nerd monkey from another world... masquerading around in horse's clothing."

Flash blinked. He looked at Soarin and mouthed: "Nerd???"

Soarin shrugged with a nervous smile.

Spitfire blocked Flash's view of the stallion. "All this time... you were lying to me and the rest of the ponies on board Commander Typhoon's ship?"

Flash gulped. He stood straight and tall. "Y-yeah..." His ears twitched. "Pretty much."

"... ... ..." Spitfire cocked her head to the side. "You know how close I came to delivering a cross-dimensional saboteur to the Crystal Empire's doorstep?"

Flash's brow furrowed. "Not close at all. Cuz I totally wasn't anything remotely close to that."

Soarin glanced nervously between them.

"... ... ..." Spitfire sighed. "You're absolutely right. In fact... under my watch... you somehow improved the state of Equestria by about five hundred percent."

"Heheh... yeah..." Flash smiled weakly. "Funny how the cookie crum—"

"THAT." Spitfire stared him in his face, snarling. "Is the only reason I don't have your balls stapeled to the gates of Tartarus!" She blew Flash's bangs into his eyes and stepped back. "You'll do well to remember that."

"Uhhhh... yes..." Flash nervously brushed his bangs clean. "Yes ma'am."

Spitfire was trotting away on clopping hooves. She stopped at one point and glanced over her shoulder. "By the way... sissy-saddles here is looking really bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as of late."

"Uhhhhhhh..." Flash blinked. "What, you mean Soarin?"

"Who else?" Spitfire's muzzle scrunched. "Been ages since I've last seen him this enthusiastic about anything." She exhaled. "...guess I might be having to look for a new wingpony soon."

Flash blinked. He looked at Soarin, then back at Spitfire. "I... uh... I'm sorry to hear that."

"Not as sorry as I am that nopony said anything about it sooner. So... just like I said two farts ago..." She glanced back, and there was a glint of something in her eyes that pierced harder than a smirk. "Your balls are safe, kid." Fwoooosh! And she disappeared amidst the starlight.

Flash bit his lip.

Soarin quietly crossed the distance between them. "Hey there, bro..."

Flash looked at him. "Did..." His ears drooped. "Did you decide to—?"

"No decision's made yet," Soarin said. "But... yeahhhhh..." He looked up into the air where Spitfire was last seen. "She knows." A gulp. "I'm guessing she's known for a long... long time."

"Yeah, well..." Flash looked down at his hooves. "...knowing isn't everything."

"Tell me about it."

Silence.

"So..." Soarin leaned in with a hopeful smile. "How did it go?"

Flash lifted his gaze.

"With Girl Number Two..." Soarin whispered. "She was Girl Number Two, right?"

Flash swallowed. "We talked..."

"And?"

"...that's it."

Soarin blinked. "I mean... are you in or are you out?"

"Huh?"

Soarin bit his lip, fidgeting, avoiding the inevitable hinge: "Are they forcing you to go back home or—?"

"Nopony's forcing me to do anything."

"So..." Soarin's feathertips fluttered as his eyes widened. "...you're staying?"

"... ... ..."

"You're remaining here in Equestria, bro? Or..." He glanced up at the absence of Spitfire again, his ears drooping somewhat. "Or are you choosing to—?"

"Where are the others?" Flash asked.

"Huh?"

"Y'know..." Flash gestured. "Octavia. The Cakes. Miss Bubblelicious..."

"They're down in the banquet hall," Soarin replied. "Cleaning up. Chilling... ... ...Waiting. Why? Ready to see them?"

Flash hung his head. He eventually nodded.

Soarin blinked. He then put on a brotherly smile. "Come on, dude." He held a hoof over Flash's shoulder and slowly led him towards one of the corner stairwells. "I'd say it's about time, don't you?"

Flash... nodded again. The two proceeded quietly under starlight.

PreviousChapters Next