• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,422 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,422

PreviousChapters Next
Decency

Flash Sentry composed himself by the time that Soarin' drifted over. He stood by a boulder or two, pretending to be absorbed in the meeting underneath the tent several feet away.

"You suppose they're making any progress?" Flash quipped.

"I don't know," Soarin' remarked, coiling his wings by his uniformed sides. "Thanks to you, there's a chance for actual, legitimate hope." He breathed in the evening air, squinting through the dim descent of night. "Fancy Pants' enthusiasm—once nearly squelched—is now alive and burning again. That should carry the conversation somewhere in everyone's favor. A certain distance, anyway."

Flash nodded. "You suppose the... uh... Hawkeye Pack will find a proposal they'll agree on?"

"Maybe. They seemed pretty convinced about our good-will after our conversation."

Silence.

Flash bit his bottom lip. "Are you... uhhhh... gonna be crucified by Spitfire?"

Soarin' threw him a crooked glanced. "'Crucified?'"

"Y'know..." Flash smiled crookedly. "Where they flog you, nail you to a cross, wait for you to die... then three hundred years later some emperor legalizes a religion in your name?"

"I'm... afraid I don't follow."

"It's okay. Most don't. Even when they think they do."

"I will be fine, Flash," Soarin' insisted. "You don't have to worry about me and Spitfire... if that's what you're rambling on about."

"You sure, dude?" Flash arched an eyebrow. "She's a tough cookie. I'm talking tougher than Windmill Cookies."

"Heh..." Soarin' smirked slightly. "She's learned to trust me in even hairier times than this. I don't think this moment's gonna end up any different."

"Things sounded more than 'hairy' just a moment ago," Flash muttered. "Felt more like porcupine quills in the ear."

"Ehhhh... her bark is worse than her bite. I swear—she growls and hisses all the time just to practice for the act of chewing out cadets."

"And you're... cool with this?"

"Hey." Soarin' shrugged. "It wouldn't be Spitfire if she wasn't caustic about everything."

"Just her style, huh?"

"More or less. Good wing. Bad wing."

"You two must have it all down pat."

"She's the authoritative one," Soarin' said, glancing down at the stone surface of the plateau. "I'd be pretty aimless without her."

"Get out of town, dude. Face it. She needs you."

"Hmmmmmm..." Soarin' hummed through smiling lips. He kicked at a pebble or two. "I know what I know. She knows what she knows. Together... we're a great team."

"Totally. I get that now." Flash nodded. Flash sighed. Flash remarked: "Soooooooo... as a team member, I bet she's expecting you to report on all things otherworldly and weird."

Soarin's jaw clenched.

Flash gulped. "I'm tickled pink, bro... but you had every reason to tell your commanding officer what I just told you."

"Why?" Soarin' glanced over. "Is there a reason for us to feel threatened?"

"No. I just..." Flash sighed, slumping slightly where he stood. "...don't... w-want you getting burned because you put your neck out for me."

"When the time came, and you felt ready..." Soarin' squinted at the other stallion. "Would you tell Spitfire the truth?"

Flash was silent.

"Just for sincerity's sake."

"I... guess." Flash sighed. "If it's that important." He sighed harder.

Soarin' noticed. He asked: "Is it?"

"No. I mean yes. I mean..." Flash ran a hoof through his blue bangs. "I... suppose it's only natural that it happen sooner than later. After all..." He smiled bashfully. "You're the second pony who knows..."

"... ... ...that you're not from this world?" Soarin' suggested.

Flash nodded.

"Well... wh-who's the first?"

"A mare I met back in Ponyville. Sweet pers—er... pony. Really talented and has a love for music."

"I see." Soarin' nodded. "Did it help to tell her?"

"Kinda, yeah."

"...did it help to tell me?"

"Well, to be fair, man..." Flash looked squarely at Soarin'. "I haven't told you much."

"That could change."

"... ... ..."

Soarin' held up both hooves with an innocent expression. "I promise not to tell Spitfire or anypony else unless you want me to."

"You sure you're willing to carry such a burden?"

"I don't think the weight's all on me, bro."

Flash bit his lip.

Soarin' took a breath and calmly asked: "Exactly what is a... 'hoo-mahn being' anyways?"

Flash giggled.

Soarin' raised an eyebrow.

"It's human. Human!" Flash smiled. "Jeez-Louise. You don't have to pronounce it like a friggin' Ferengi, dude."

"Are Ferengies other creatures who live in your world?"

"What? No!" Flash spat. "They're a made-up—mmmmm!" He face-hoofed, calmed, and spoke in a soft tone. "Humans are the only creatures living in my world who can speak and... y'know... build a civilization." He coughed. "For what it's worth."

"What are they like?" Soarin' asked, his voice full of foalish curiosity.

"Well, we're like you," Flash said. "Only... uhm... we stand upright, pay taxes, and wear clothes."

"Well, ponies wear clothes," Soarin' remarked.

"Yeah but—like—we do it all the time." He blinked. "Except on certain beaches that my uncle's been to."

"What for?"

"Pffft. I dunno. I've never been to Miami."

"No, I mean..." Soarin' glanced at his uniform, then at Soarin's lack of clothing. "Why wear clothing all the time? Do you live in a military state?"

"No."

"Are there Galloping Galas every day?"

"...the Hell is a Galloping Gala?"

Soarin' chuckled. "Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through all the time."

"We have to, man!"

"What for?"

"Because... it... I-I dunno!" Flash shrugged. "Humans have more dangly parts than ponies." He blinked into the darkening horizon. "Except when we don't. Then it's... kinda awesome not to wear clothes."

"I think you're confusing me even more when you're trying to explain stuff."

"It's about common decency," Flash said. "You wouldn't—like—fart in somepony's face, would you?"

"What?" Soarin' grimaced. "Goddess, no!"

"Well, a few tiers below that is... adhering to no nudity!" Flash smiled. "It's considered polite and respectful not to expose yourself to other human beings. Plus—we're not nearly as fuzzy as ponies. Sooooo... uhhhh... clothing protects us from the elements more."

"Now that's very interesting."

"If you say so."

"And your hooves," Soarin' remarked, craning his neck curiously. "Do you wear shoes on only half your limbs since you walk upright?"

"Mnghhhhhh..." Flash sighed into his fetlock. "...this is going to take a while."

PreviousChapters Next