• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Wizards

"You're taking me to..." Flash Sentry blinked, his eyes reflecting towering rows of tightly-packed tomes. "...a library?"

"Shhhhh!" Soarin insisted. Then—with a motion of his neck—he led Flash Sentry deeper (and quieter) into the heart of the crystalline archives. "It's something inside the library. In the west wing."

"Hah... the west wing, huh?" Flash smirked slyly, keeping up with the still-uniform'd Wonderbolt. "Careful. I hear it's forbidden."

"It is? Since when?"

Flash shook his head with a sigh and muttered in mid-trot. "If you want me to read the books they've got stored away here, I'm flattered. Really, I am. But... eh... I'm something of a slow reader and I'd much rather get a look around at the place itself—"

"It's got nothing to do with books, bro."

"Oh?" Flash blinked. "Does this place have a microfilm section?"

"Honestly... do you ever have anything sensible to spit between breaths?"

"Would you have it any other way."

"Guess not." Soarin smirked as he turned one last corner. The two stallions approached a second floor balcony overlooking a lower level to the archives. The air here was bright—with a glass domed ceiling letting in lots of sun. Beyond the balcony, a large chamber full of tables with alchemy equipment lingered beneath the railing. Ponies were lined up on both the top and bottom floors, murmuring to one another as they observed what was transpiring.

Flash Sentry heard a tingle to the air, like chimes were being struckly lightly in succession. Curiously, he cranked his neck as Soarin brought him to the railing's edge.

"Check it out," Soarin said, gesturing down at the sight unfolding.

Flash peered with thin eyes. At first, he thought he was looking at a light show. Perhaps even a hologram. Then—after several seconds of comprehending—he felt his heart leap into his chest. The teenager was observing actual objects floating around with actual magic. In the center of the room below was a stallion with an orange coat and a fiery-red mane, and he was actually a unicorn. Brilliant bursts of light emanated from his horn as he assembled a wagon in midair. Then—with gentle ministrations—he telekinetically lowered the object down, smiled, and rolled it towards a grateful family of crystal ponies who sputtered their thanks and bowed humbly. He bowed right back before shaking their hooves and sending them on their way. Another crystalline family trotted up from a line of citizens waiting to see the unicorn, this time presenting an heirloom of sorts. The stallion appraised it in midair, rubbed a scruffy red goatee, then went about fixing the broken item from the inside out with enchanted finesse.

"Voila!" Soarin gestured. "Magic!"

"I... can see that."

"Figured you'd like to get a taste of the real thing," Soarin said. "Seeing as you don't have any of it back home on Earth... well... human Earth."

"Oh, I've seen it before," Flash muttered.

"You have?" Soarin blinked crookedly. "But I thought you said—" He then inhaled knowingly. "Ohhhhhhh. Back in Ponyville. I forgot that place had unicorns."

"That's not what I meant. I mean... you're not wrong. I saw some magic back there. But back on Earth? My Earth?" Flash's eyes remained transfixed on the floating object that was being magically repaired before his lofty gaze. He noticed a faint glow encapsulating the items in the unicorn's telekinetic grasp. It matched the unicorn's eyes, and the stallion's starry cape also glowed with some off-hoof enchantment. "We've had magic show up and... manifest itself. Only... uhm..." He gulped dryly "...it's never been that much of a good thing."

"No?"

"Yeah." Flash fidgeted. "I was mind-controlled as a teenage zombie for one evening," he said, trying not to crack up at the blatant confession. "Also, I had my body and spirit corrupted by Sirens disguised as humans. Then there was that time a bunch of crazy portals opened up and nearly plummeted me and my friends to our death. Oh... and also Camp Everfree. Can't forget the psychotic camp counselor turned hentai plant monster. What was her name...? 'Sunflower...?' 'Glenda Rosebud...?' Uhhhh..." He rubbed his head hard. "'Sarah Palin.' We'll just go with that for now."

"My bad, dude," Soarin remarked. "I didn't realize magic had such a... bad reputation in your world."

"In brief spurts." Flash bit his lip. "Enough to not really want much to do with it."

"Is that why you're so freaked out right now?" Soarin asked.

"... ... ...?" Flash looked at Soarin, then up at his own ears. He realized that they had been flattened that entire time. "Eheh..." Relaxing slightly, he flicked them straight back up. "To be fair, some of my... ... ...former friends are imbued with magic. Even to this day. And they've only ever done us a world of good."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. Saved my butt from all those nasty things I just mentioned," Flash said. "Even hentai plant monster Kellyanne Conway... I-I mean Sarah Palin."

"But for the most part, magic just doesn't happen in your world."

"Not really, dude." Flash gestured. "The only time we ever get touched with magic—it's on account of the portal we have that connects with Equestria."

"Ah. Well, I'm sorry about that."

"Nothing for you to be sorry for," Flash said. "Magic itself isn't... bad. It just... usually does freaky things in my world. But here...?" He smiled as he watched the unicorn fix the heirloom and offer it back to the smiling family. "Gotta admit. It looks pretty sweet."

"Most ponies I know use magic only for good," Soarin said. "But there are a few bad eggs every now and then."

"Yeah..."

"Sorta like... your human world and technology, huh?" Soarin smiled calmly. "I've gotten the impression that you've got a few bad eggs too."

"Pffft. A few good eggs, you mean."

"Huh?"

"Believe me. If magic was as rampant in my world as it was in yours? We'd have a Saruman nine times out of ten instead of a Gandalf."

"Uhhhhhhhh—"

"I mean we'd corrupt that shiet, bro." Flash's nostrils flared. "After all why not? Technology only stands out when we need weapons for war or ways to pollute our world even more."

"Surely it can't all be that terrible."

Flash opened his muzzle... then fidgeted. He resumed staring at the unicorn's work below.

"I mean..." Soarin chuckled. "Don't you have doctors and caregivers in your world? Engineers and scientists? They can't mostly be bad if there's some sort of civilization to speak for itself! C uz... if your world is anything nearly as terrible as you seem to paint it, I can't see how anyone would survive a single day!"

"And yet we do," Flash muttered. "For what it's worth."

Soarin smoothed his bangs back, smiling. "I think you could use some more magic in your life, bro."

"I already told you, humans would only—"

"I wasn't talking about humans. I was talking about you." Soarin smirked. "And you're not exactly human right now, are you?"

Flash was silent for a while. Eventually, he leaned back with a sigh. "So... what? Do I grow a horn from my skull?" He smiled tiredly at his friend. "Seems that only unicorns use magic in this place."

"And that makes you an ignoramus."

"Huh?"

Soarin laughed. "Pegasi are sooooooo magical, dude."

"We are?"

"Yes! And earth ponies too! And horses and zebras and mules and—you name it! We've all got magic, bro."

"But... how...?"

"You think it's just your wings keeping you in the air?" Soarin' winked. "Without magic, we'd all drop like anvils the moment we kicked off the ground."

"We... that..." Soarin fidgeted. "Pegasus flight isn't natural?"

"Nope! All this time, you've had flight magic on your side. Don't believe me? I went for a few days without magic after Tirek went on his rampage and stole them from us. Made me feel like a bulldozer with fuzzy ears."

"Yeesh... that sucks."

"It did. But then we were saved by the Princess of Friendship. I couldn't be more grateful. So... how does it feel?"

"How does what feel?"

"To know that you've spent your entire time as a pony being magical?" Soarin smiled. "And yet... during all of that time... has your human essence reared its ugly head and done nasty stuff with the gift?"

"... ... ..." Flash Sentry shrugged. "I dunno. Maybe I just... haven't figured out something devious enough to do yet."

"Come on, bro." Soarin shook his head. "Has it occurred to you that maybe life isn't quite as awful on the other side of the portal?"

"Well..."

"Maybe... just maybe..." Soarin's expression turned deadpan for a second. "...it only feels awful."

Flash traced lines across the railing. He muttered in a low tone: "You don't know what it's like over there, Soarin."

"You're right. I don't." Soarin nodded. "All I've got to learn from is you. And you seem pretty okay in my book."

Flash glanced at him.

"Maybe you just gotta learn to cut yourself a break, Flash," Soarin said. "If there's at least another person from your world that's anything like you, then that's something to be super glad for. Don't you think?"

"I... I don't know..."

Soarin shrugged. "Fair enough. But maybe..." He looked over the railing again. "...you just gotta look harder, y'know? Look for the good humans... the ones who do good things for other people. Like the Crystal Empire's court wizard here."

Flash squinted his eyes. "He's the court wizard?"

"You bet! Moved in shortly after the Empire resurfaced. He's pledged his services to the crytal citizens here. He's even agreed to help the stewards raise their child—Princess Flurry Heart."

"Snazzy."

"Uh huh."

"What's... uh..." Flash blinked. "What's his name?"

"Ah jeez..." Soarin tapped his chin in thought. "It's a typical unicorn one. Uhhhh... 'Sunset!'"

Flash sliced at him with narrow eyes. "Sunset?"

"Er. No. 'Sunburst!' That's it! Heh..." Soarin blushed slightly. "I guess 'Sunset' is a tad bit more feminine, huh?"

"God, I'd hope so."

"Ah! A magic show!" Fancy Pants inexplicably showed up, leaning against the railing beside the two younger stallions. "Correct that—court wizardry! Oh, well how simply marvelous. It's certainly a great deal humbler than what's on display in Canterlot. I rather like it."

"Hello, Mr. Pants," Soarin remarked, giving a casual salute. "I thought you were going to speak with the Stewards about the festivities."

"Mmmmm..." Fancy Pants sighed. "I already have, my good fellow."

Flash Sentry blinked, concerned. "What's wrong?"

"Ah, Brad... ever the empathetic one." Fancy smiled gently, patting the stallion's shoulder. He weathered another sigh. "I'm afraid we've stumbled upon... something of an impasse..."

PreviousChapters Next