• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Nerdy

"Captain." Lieutenant Commander Data's pale fingers danced across the computer interface of his station. "We are being rapidly approached by a large spheroid object approximately thirty-five hundred kilometers in diameter."

Flash Sentry leaned forward in his chair. "Any life signs?"

After a computer blip-and-bloop, Data shook his head. "Negative."

After taking a contemplative breath, Flash nodded. "On-screen."

After an android keystroke, the viewscreen of the U.S.S. Enterprise flickered on to display a starfield. Off in the distance—growing larger by the second—was an enormous celestial object.

Flash Sentry stood up, adjusting the tunic of his red command uniform. With an authoritarian stance, he approached the screen. "Magnify."

Another blip, and the viewscreen zoomed in on the object—showing craters and maria and powdery trenches galore.

"There're no stars close enough for that thing to be orbiting!" Commander Riker exclaimed, probably kneeling on something in an awkward manner. "What the Hell is it doing way out here?"

"Captain." Counselor Troi stood up and walked up beside Flash. "I am sensing exposition."

Flash's brow furrowed. "Is it hostile exposition?"

Troi slowly shook her head—Mediterranean curls flailing. "At this length into your journey, I don't see what we have to lose."

"Captain." Lieutenant Worf leaned against the tactical station, frowning with emphasis. "I recommend that we go to yellow alert. Arm all photon torpedoes and prepare for a full frontal assault."

Flash raised a casual finger. "Belay that, Mr. Worf. I'm not about to go to war with any moons today. We'll remain understandably cautious, but there's no need for battlestations."

There was a digitized blip-blop, and Data announced: "The object appears to be slowing down, Sir."

"Tell Laforge to go to half impulse."

"Aye."

Another alert—this time more urgent.

"Captain," Worf sounded off, his voice scratchy with caution. "The moon is hailing us."

Flash Sentry folded his arms. "On Screen."

The starfield vanished, and in its place appeared a pale skinned, blue-haired Romulan wearing broad shoulder pads. Vice Principal Luna arched her angular eyebrows and droned: "'Morality Horse?'"

"H-Hey!" Flash suddenly grinned wide, slapping his hands together. "Luna! It's you! Haha! Welcome to the Neutral Zone!"

Troi looked concerned. Data turned around, puzzled. Riker and Worf exchanged worried glances.

"Oh... uh... sorry... ahem..." Flash coughed into the back of his hand. "Too 'Captain Archer' for you guys?"

"I was sincerely hoping that I could finally speak to you," the Romulan-human-equine -woman said on the viewscreen. "It would appear as though things have gotten more complicated."

"Oh! Hold up!" Flash snapped his finger. "Before we take this conversation any further—!" He spun around, fumbling. "I got... uh... uhhhh... I-I got something to show you!"

"Mr. Sentry..."

"Just hang on!" Flash searched around the Captain's Chair. "I left it here somewhere!"

"Captain?" Riker blinked. "Is something the matter?"

"Stay still..." Flash reached up, yanked Riker's beard off his face, then pulled the crank. BRVVVVVVVVV! The beard spun on its chain, and Flash used it to saw the captain's chair in half—then the rest of the bridge entire. The set piece sliced into two, exposing Emperor Palpatine's Tower Interior behind it. Father and son clashed with lightsabers, filling the chamber with noise. Flash walked across a catwalk, reached into a blue British police box, pulled out a face-hugger, ripped it in half, then pulled out a slime-covered diarama of the Crystal Empire. "There we go." He left the lightsaber battle—ducking beneath a sith lightning beam or two—then returned onto the chainsaw'd set of the Enterprise's Bridge. "Check it!" With Dr. Strange fingers, he threw the diarama onto the floor before the viewscreen, enlarging it in midfall. Once it landed, there were miniature fireworks and miniature confetti flickering over a sea of miniature party-goers filling up the crystalline streets. "It's tomorrow! Or—at least—the day after tomorrow! And it's all because I got the band back together!" He smiled. "And—of course—by 'band' I mean a bunch of really well-to-do Ponyvilleans who made the celebrations of Equestrian Unification possible!"

"I am quite aware of unification, Mr. Flash," Luna said.

"Of course you are!" Flash giggled. "You're a Romulan!"

"While I may be garbed in the substance of your fantasies, I cannot pretend to understand them." Her alien brow furrowed. "As it stands, your jocular speech falls on deaf ears. Suffice to say, there is more important matters ahoof."

"You talking about the Supernova?" Flash folded his arms with a lengthy sigh. "To be honest, I was never a big fan of that plot device. I'm not about to get on the hating J.J. Abrams bandwagon, though..."

"I speak of your unnatural presence here in Equestria, Mr. Flash," Luna said. With the grace of living liquid, she walked forward and phased through the viewscreen. Once she was standing inside the partially-demolished bridge of the Enterprise, she had morphed back into a vice principal human in a pantsuit. "They know that you are here, Mr. Flash."

Flash froze in place.

"I speak of the Princess of Friendship. Her allies." Luna gazed down at him. "Soon—even my sister."

Flash squirmed. He looked off towards the starry distance above.

"It is only a matter of time—very precious little of it—and I will no longer afford the luxury of keeping your location secret. To do so would only serve to undermine the special interest of those whom I am loyal to."

"Sunset Shimmer..." Flash Sentry grimaced. He was hugging himself by this point. "She must have told Princess Twilight." He gulped. "How long have they been searching?"

"For the past day at least. Ever since the Princess' business elsewhere in Equestria had ceased." Luna paced about the teenager. "Locating you is now a top priority, and I've no doubt that Twilight will be enlisting the help of Celestia. In turn—Celestia will turn to me. I cannot lie to her, Flash Sentry. Not after the history we've been through."

Flash nodded. "I understand."

"Then... you will cooperate if it is willed by the Princesses that you come out of hiding?"

"Sure. Totally. Just..." Flash fidgeted. "Not right away!"

Luna sighed. "Mr. Sentry..."

"I-I-I've got so many things to do!" He pointed at the crystalline dioarama before them. "The celebration! The organizers need me! The stewards of the Crystal Empire need me!"

"You are not of this world, Mr. Flash. Just as magic does not belong in your home, you do not belong here. The nature of this situation cannot be ignored."

Flash gaped at her. Blinking. "You mean... you mean I've got nothing left to do here?"

"... ... ..."

"That was the big deal, right?!" He stepped towards her, trembling. "You s-sensed that I had something to do in this world! A-a-and I thought I was done with it before! But it turns out I wasn't! And I'm glad that I found out! Cuz I'm doing so much to help with the Unification and the ponies of Ponyville and... and—"

"Do you honestly believe your destiny lies in a place where you weren't born?"

"You know that it can't be over yet!" Flash chuckled hystericall, running a hand through his hair. "I just... I-I just gotta see how many more lives I can touch! I gotta keep going! I mean... who's going to help the Equestrians and the Crystal Ponies stay at peace with the Diamond Dogs or... or—"

"Flash..." Luna rested a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Has it occurred to you that you're looking in the wrong place?"

He bit his lip.

She gazed calmly, thoughtfully at him.

"I... I just have to do a few more things... that's all..." He stammered, backing up from her. His voice was breathy. Anxious. "I'll find what my purpose is here! I-I promise you! I just can't spend it all sleeping!"

She calmly said, "If all you do is keep moving, you'll never find the time to discover—"

"We'll see about that!" He reached a computer station and slammed his palm over it. "Computer! Activate Self-Destruct Sequence! Authorization: boogers!"

Majel Barrett's voice crisply replied: "Please enter a countdown timer."

"Right the Hell now!"

POWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

PreviousChapters Next