• Published 12th Dec 2016
  • 8,425 Views, 2,374 Comments

How to Disappear Completely - shortskirtsandexplosions



Flash Sentry's world sucks. Maybe it's high time he left it.

  • ...
88
 2,374
 8,425

PreviousChapters Next
Bat

"What I don't underssssssstand isssss why you poniessssssss didn't think of thissssss earlier..."

"Simply because we weren't! But just this morning—while setting things up for the celebration in the Crystal Empire—one of us figured... heck... what would it hurt to have you guys show up as well? It's your generous contribution that's making this whole thing possible, after all. Seems only fitting that you get to take part in the festivities. Only if you want to, of course. I know it's all very last second and nopony's gonna force you to do it or nothing."

"How do you know that other poniesssssss will even want usssss to be there?"

"What—just because you're diamond dogs you think that ponies celebrating will be afraid of you?"

"Yessssssssss."

"Hrmmmm... fair enough. But I promise you it'll be no big deal. Ponies aren't out to do anything bad to you guys. I figured you learned that days ago when we finished talking last."

"... ... ... ..." Flash Sentry's eyelids fluttered open. He blinked... curious to find himself lying on his side near the stern of the tiny dirigible's gondola. Wincing slightly, the sleepy stallion sat up. It was then that he noticed that none of the clouds were whizzing by the craft any more. In fact, the vessel hovered still. Dormant.

Flash spotted the pilot standing casually near the bow, looking over the railing. Just a stone's throw away was the familiar summit of High Paw, lit up by the noonday sun. Soarin hovered above a gathered crowd of diamond dogs, and three of them standing in the foreground looked particularly familiar.

"Besides—the citizens of the Crystal Empire are pretty chill. You'll find them easy to get along with. After all..." Soarin smiled down at the trio of Hawkeye Pack representatives. "...their next door neighbors—the Yakyakistanians—make you guys look like puppies in comparison."

"Woof!" Fido's jowels flapped. "Isssss that a challenge?"

"You idiot!" Rover slapped the large canine's shoulder. "That'ssssss the pony way of sssssaying we're friendlier than the Yak... Yak..." His slitted eyes crossed. "Yakyakyakyakyak—"

"Heh... doesn't get any easier to say," Soarin remarked. "Trust me."

Spot climbed up Fido's back and pointed up at the zeppelin. "You expect us to get in that thing?"

Soarin nodded. "It's the quickest way back to the Crystal Empire. Figured you Hawkeye dogs deserve a VIP pass to the party."

"Doesssss that mean something sssssspecial?"

"Oh, you bet!" Soarin exclaimed. "You remember Prince Blueblood?"

"Wassssssss sssssssshe the one with blonde hair?"

Soarin laughed. "Close enough." He smirked. "Well, anyways, Prince Blueblood is ready and willing to pay the expenses necessary for your business. He's hoping that you'll be willing to business with his royal house in the future."

"And what issssss it that you want, winged pony?" Rover asked.

Soarin shrugged in mid-flap. "I just want you guys to have a good time." He tossed his mane in the bright sunlight. "I want you to see that we ponies aren't nearly as nasty or manipulative as you think! And you'll be seeing a whole bunch of us! Different kinds of ponies from all across Equestria are showing up to this gig. Should be pretty sweet!"

"Hrmmmm..." Spot folded his hairy forelimbs. "You'll be wanting usssssssss to talk busssssinesssss the whole time."

"No. Not really." Soarin gestured. "I mean, you could if you want. No doubt Blueblood, Fancy Pants, and Filthy Rich would love to chat with you. But it's not the point of this visit. We just figured you deserve as much to enjoy the celebration as the rest of us. So... that's the whole point of this invitation!"

"Uhhhhhh..." Rover, Spot, and Fido exchanged blank expressions. It was Fido who ultimately looked quizzically at the zeppelin. "But we don't have any thingsssss to bring the poniessss."

"Again. No biggie." Soarin smiled pleasantly. "Just having you guys visit is a good gift enough. It means we've made progress this week! And—hopefully—both of our futures will be bright!"

The Hawkeye Pack mingled with the rest of the canine elders. The air above High Paw filled with mutterings and growls and low volume barks.

By now, Flash Sentry had stumbled towards where the pilot stood. "I... slept...?"

The pilot glanced over. "Oh hey, kiddo." He smiled slightly. "Yeah. Looked like an angel. Didn't wanna disturb a hair on ya."

"It... how..." Flash blinked through a wave of drowsiness as he regarded the scene happening adjacent to the hovering skycraft. "Why didn't he wake me?"

"Who. The Wonderbolt?" The pilot shrugged. "Beats me. Not that it matters. Heh... seems to have this whole thing pretty well handled. Gotta love them professional flyboys. They really know how to keep things afloat."

Flash shuddered, leaning back with a stupefied expression. "... ... ...he went to bat for me."

Around that very moment—

"Ssssssky pony!" Rover stepped out of the crowd. He maintained tall, intimidating posture. Nevertheless, he said, "The elderssssssss have agreed! We will be accompanying you to thissssss... pony fiesssssssta!"

"Sweet!" Soarin grinned wide. "Get all the things you need. This will likely take a few days of your time."

"Our eldersssssss have a message for you." Rover shifted slightly where he stood. "He would like to sssssssssay... hrmmm..."

"Yes...?"

"... ... ....poniessss are not at all what we long imagined."

Soarin chuckled. "I'll be sure to pass that along to Blueblood and Company. They'll be thrilled to know you think that way."

"But you had better not crassssssh us in that sky wagon of yours!" Rover pointed with a frown. "Or all of our kind wordsssssssss are as good as buried in the ground!"

"I'm pretty sure the pilot won't give you the satisfaction." Soarin saluted. "Give... uh... a bark when you're ready."

As the crowd busily milled about, Soarin flew towards the zeppelin. He smiled proudly.

Flash's bright blue eyes reflected his ascent. "...bro."

"Tchh—" Soarin held a hoof up, shaking his head. "Save it, buddy. You needed some z's for sanity's sake. Me? I got this sort of stuff handled." He sighed happily. "No offense to the diamond dogs' and their intelligence, but it feels like what I've always dreamed of doing." A wink. "Working with children."

"You got that right," the pilot said, then—with an amused expression—went back to check on the ship's controls.

This left Flash gawking at his bosom buddy. "How... can I ever repay you, man?"

Soarin's eyes narrowed. "Are you blonde with a gray coat and an adorable squeaky voice?"

"Uh. No."

"Then save it. You can't."

PreviousChapters Next